The Watch - 福利协会 - Welfare Society

Here's news: Around 60-70% of people new to the game quit before ever reaching level 10. Now, I can almost hear the swaggering machismo dripping off of some of you who are snarling about how they're "not hard enough" and "babies". That's largely because you can't (selectively) remember the first time you tried doing something you'd never done before. Including this.

If you don't already have friends, or know how everything works, starting out brand new anywhere blows.

So, odds are they're already inclined to throw up their hands and go play LEGO Universe™ rather than log into Wyrmrest Accord. What's going to tip the balance for them? Some kid's desperate bid for attention on a naked warrior, dancing in their face while they're taken for a journey with his first soiree into unsupervised [general] chat with all the new words he's been dying to try out?

...or maybe their first impression should be someone less sweaty-loincloth related.

If not being "that guy" is strangely appealing, and you find yourself with any free time at all and enough patience to not strangle someone who needs to be told where the "autorun" key is, maybe you're cut out to help <The Watch>.

What we do is make sure that the truly new are equipped - figuratively and literally - to survive after they leave the womb of the protected starting areas. It's a good life...if you don't weaken.

Of course that's not for everyone and there are other ways to help if you feel you might snap someone's neck after explaining which end of a sword to hold for the eleventeenth time. We're always in need of white or better items of level 7 or below for us to distribute. (Items bigger than that will be returned at this time, as our overflow space is limited.)

If you have anything lying around that's white or better of level 7 or below that would make the life of someone new to WoW or Wyrmrest Accord easier, feel free to send it along to either Soulsinger or Ziji, who'll make sure it gets where it needs to go.

Of course, if you want to be on the sometimes-when-I'm-not-busy flinging bags &c. at new folks end of things, it's not like we often say 'no'. Contact Soulsinger either in-person or via in-game mail for details, or if you can't find the lazy bastard, send mail to thewatch.charity.wow@gmail.com and we'll respond in a timely fashion.
3 Likes

For folks taking advantage of the sales going on this month to start playing, to move to Wyrmrest Accord, or even look for new friends, I direct you to Cesare’s excellent post about how to find all the cool people who live here!

1 Like

Wow. The original post is the only thing that survived from this thread…

To fast-forward to where we are now:

• Because of the new guild permissions fiasco, I’m the only one handling donations.

• We’re still working, although it’s mainly bags now that go to new/new to the server people; there’s simply not a lot of people picking up the game first-time in recent years.

• I’m toying with the idea of doing the same thing in WoW Classic, which kind of feels like coming full circle.

There, that’s…eight years worth of news.

Oh, and Arcane Mages got nerfed.
There, now we’re up to speed. :wink:

2 Likes

This post is… eight years old. Did… it need a bump? This post is older than some of the people who currently play the game.

I mean obviously the guild still exists, and I dunno about you, but I tend to forget things exist after 8 years. Seems a relevant bump to me!

A great idea though Soulsinger!!! Honestly I don’t think this game is perfect in terms of its introductory experience - even lorewise it’s confusing to quest through cataclysm, then go BACK in time to BC/Wrath, then go back to Cata or Pandaria. It’d throw out new players like nothing else. I hope that you guys continue to support new players of WoW :smiley:

1 Like

My point is… why not just create a new post? Obviously it’s the same poster, same guild, same topic and everything, but Blizzard tends to frown on bumping particularly old posts. I don’t particularly care myself, but do what you will, I suppose. It’s a good cause, at least.

Best of luck, Soulsinger.

1 Like

Quick thought I had the other day… With the bulk of the heavy lifting being done by Hello Kitty Island™ instead of the traditional starting zones, does it make sense to liquidate the (oh God) literal tons of level 5-10 weapons and armors we have stockpiled and just concentrate on having more bags handy? All I’m seeing lately who need anything are server transfers.

How is this post 12 years old didn’t we switch to totally new forums in 2018

4 Likes

Obviously OP is a time traveler.

Yeah what the hell lmao did they port old posts over? Apparently i even commented on it and didn’t notice

Ok I investigated and found that if you go to the very end of the Wyrmrest Accord topics they mostly stop at 2018 (when I thought the changeover happened). But two earlier posts exist for unknown reasons, a year apart. These two guild recruitment posts.

Even those, as mysterious as they are, are significantly younger than 12 years old.

In short there is no rational explanation for this post existing and there is clearly dark sorcery at play

7 Likes

This necro is currently winning at 4 years later.

Please keep me updated with any record breaking

Not breaking any records. We moved from vinyl to 8-track years ago.

1 Like

Wait, so I’m not the only one seeing “November 2010” as the first post’s date?

I am posting in a reality-bending time travel thread!

OP deserves some credit for managing that necro over the years. That there is some patience.

1 Like

Soulsinger is my favorite Wyrmrest Accord cryptid*. I’ve seen their recruitment and new player welfare efforts since coming here back in 2010.

Really one of the most consistent things anyone has ever done. Guilds come and go, but I’ll be damned if I don’t see Soulsinger bumping this thread another four years from now, helping future new players out as they’ve always done.

• Besides The Crow and RP Council - which doesn’t exist.
4 Likes

Of course they don’t exist. They have never existed.

Never.

Wait, I’m not playing Hello Kitty & My Little Pony: the Amazing Island Adventure?
WHAT?

Where do I stand to hand out bags?
I have cute ones.
I have ones shaped like Hello Kitty. Or the My Little Pony ones? I have too many, mom says I need to get rid of some.

[Northshire, 32.2 52.0]
[Coldridge Valley, 60.5 37.4]
[Deathknell, 32.2 68.7]
[Sunstrider Isle, 36.8 21.0]
[Shadowglen, 44.7 64.5]
[Ammen Vale, 53.5 34.6]
[Valley of Trials, 43.9 66.7]
[Echo Isles, 65.2 83.0]
[Mulgore, 47.1 76.6]
[Darnassus, 49.1 19.4]
[Orgrimmar, 52.1 83.7]