The War Within Story Criticism (Spoilers)

TIL that Malfurion even being offscreen for a while was too much for some.

3 Likes

We Horde should act like the alliance Community some times. Maybe then Blizzard will Stop killing our leaders.

Nah, cognitive bias would just result in them pointing at the behavior as proof the Horde Community is exactly what the Alliance Community says they are.

It’s like how if a certain subset of the population is angry it’s “justified” but if another subset is angry, even for the same reasons, they are said to be being “barbaric” or “like animals”.

Besides as I’ve established the Horde I identify with is long dead and gone, while the Alliance I’ve never enjoyed has just doubled down on all of the elements I don’t like.

It seems this is the only way to stop Blizzard from killing characters. It seems to work out for the blue team since all their leaders are alive and doing fine.

I’m talking about his actual death in the Priory.

I do, because it was terrible writing, especially since she then got angry at Anduin for not wanting to pursue vengeance. It really did not help disprove the “Jaina is a dreadlord” theory that she was acting exactly as one would expect a dreadlord to.

Considering that I’m not aware of any instance of Tirion performing a resurrection, it makes more sense that he simply couldn’t. Also, as far as current lore goes, Taelan’s death was only the last thing in a series of events that led him to fully recommit to the Silver Hand, and and there’s no reason that successfully rescuing Taelan wouldn’t have led to the same outcome.

The number of times we see a full resurrection in a quest compared to the thousands of other quests where we don’t hardly adds up to it being common. The entire reason Lilian has us take out Whitemane for good is because no one else in the entire Scarlet Crusade can manage what she does with resurrection. For a current example, look at the Hallowfall Arathi, who lose people constantly and haven’t shown any ability to fully bring them back, with the Priory only managing to bring them back as undead.

My argument isn’t that it never happens, it’s that it’s a pretty big deal because it’s not just a “level 1 priest”, as the OP put it, that any random priest or paladin can pull off. Anduin’s only managed it twice, including Khadgar. If every priest was like Whitemane, the Fourth War would have been even more of a mess, considering that Anduin, Talanji, and Tyrande were all very active in the conflict. Can people sometimes be brought back fully alive? Yes. Is it much more common for them not to, even when surrounded by priests or paladins? Yes. It’s an especially big event for Anduin to manage it at the end of the campaign considering his crisis of faith, but it would still be very notable even if he hadn’t had that crisis. The Light doesn’t always grant what a petitioner asks, after all.

That’s entirely up to the individual and whether or not they had enough fun to make keeping a sub worthwhile. I managed to have fun despite my frustration with the main story campaigns, and I do like the zone stories in both BfA and Shadowlands. I’m very glad to have a main campaign that I’m enjoying so far, though.

There is some lore about resurrection.

I think this part is essential:
Unlike necromancy, those who are resurrected do not come back as undead but as living beings, however, resurrection seems to require certain conditions, notably that the death must be recent, that the body is still whole, and that the soul of the deceased is still present in the Veil. Beyond these conditions, the possibility of achieving resurrection seems limited or just impossible.

So it seems to be possible per se. Most likely, however, the conditions are rarely fulfilled, otherwise it would probably happen more often, especially with important personalities.

3 Likes

the conditions just happen to be fulfilled when someone anduin likes dies

1 Like

Plot armor also works post morten, didn’t you know!?

Nah, I don’t think that was a resurrection spell, but rather a level 1 healing spell. Khadgar did not appear to be dead, but rather on the verge of death. Like a guy in the ambulance.

2 Likes

Nah he was definitly dead, everything in that scene says so, and he brought him back, only this time there wasen’t the excuse of chi-ji being there or a naaru

2 Likes

Hum. I’m not sure about that.
We need to ask the guys who created the cinematic.

I felt pretty meh about this part of the story. And I get that they were 10 months into production before Metzen came back so it makes sense to me that TWW feels a little weak and underwhelming. I get the sense we’ll start to feel the Metzen touch in 11.1

Having played through all of Shadowlands though, I couldn’t help but feel that the storyline in Azj-Kahet was Revendreth 2.0…only boring.

The leader of the zone betrays their people for some anima/black blood used for a bigger bad’s nefarious plan. Then three unlikely allies rebel against their sire/queen and we plucky heroes beat the baddies down, only for the bigger bad to claim their usefulness has been exhausted.

The problem was, the queen was non-existent throughout the storyline and the rebel leaders were pretty bland, lacking the character the three Revendreth rebel leaders had.

Anyways, that’s my disappointment in the story noted. Time for another coffee.

Hallowfall should’ve ended in an epic battle where we, alongside the Arathi, are cornered on all sides by Nerubians, Kobyss, and Night cult, and we’re heavily outnumbered

1 Like

It’s also quite similar to Suramar, but since then has progressively gone worse

Suramar ≥ Revendreth ≥ Azj-Kahet

The devs are of course free to give input or have the characters confirm, but in terms of visual storytelling, the combination of Alleria saying “stay with me, don’t let go” with his arm falling limp at his side is a very common dramatic tactic for indicating a character death. The bass note the score hits at the same time adds to that impression.

3 Likes

Blizzard is afraid to kill any human leaders after Varian.

As someone who has been on Twitter, the Horde community there is way WAY worse. I think the reason they don’t get what they want is because they also tend to actively attack the devs there. Maybe they deserve some flak, but Tweets with thousands and thousands of likes and retweets about how you hate this or that dev don’t exactly get your concerns prioritized. Twitteroth being so toxic, particularly because of these people, is one of the reasons I left.

I still maintain he shouldn’t have been killed. And neither should have Vol’jin. Killing Tirion was enough.

2 Likes

Even than, the way blizz killed off Tirion was dumb as hell. Survives all those old wars, even against the Lich King, just to be killed off by some no name demon we kill later in Antorus

Still a great way to have the devs not take them seriously. It’s a self fulfilling prophecy on why they continue to get ignored

1 Like

Horde twitter is toxic BECAUSE of the bad treatment of the Horde over the years.

All Horde leaders can die anytime.

All human leaders have plot armor.

1 Like

It was toxic well before you guys started losing leaders tbh. Did that accelerate it? Yeah. But the idea that you put forward that NE players only got what they wanted because they complained is silly. Horde players complain in orders of magnitude much much greater than Alliance players, and have less to show for it. Do you guys have some legitimate criticisms? Yeah. I know, I was once a Horde player pretty exclusively. So I was there long enough to know. I don’t even remember how much energy I spent begging them to bring Rexxar out fo retirement, either as WC or Orc leader. Only for them to bring him back as some bloodthirsty side character in BFA, So I know a certain amount of it is because they simply don’t listen to us. They also don’t seem to know how to write Horde characters. So I know man. But I also know Horde Twitteroth, and they made it way worse.

2 Likes

They treat the Horde like exploitable assets and alliance leaders like the great heroes of the larger Story. That’s the main criticism.