The Unofficial Saurok Playable Race Discussion Megathread! šŸŠ

He was being a troll (hah) in the other thread unfortunately. Trying to both start fights and pit people against each other.

Jokes on him, I want both.

3 Likes

So I just saw when I popped over to your thread. Some peopleā€¦

2 Likes

No idea what this is from but this is appropriate.

3 Likes

Not to mention that I want both Saurok and Sanā€™layn a lot. Iā€™m not kidding when I mention my ā€œHorde Triforce of Hope!ā„¢ā€ for Ogres, Saurok, and Sanā€™layn as they are my most wanted races currently. :japanese_ogre: :crocodile: :bat:

As for Saurok chances, while I feel like theyā€™re bigger than before I started this megathread, there is still a bit of an uphill battle for them. Not impossible by any means, but itā€™s going to take a bit of luck to get them to go from mook-jobber race to fully playable Horde race. Still, I have hope it could be a possibility someday. :lizard:

Iā€™m getting close to finishing leveling my last character to the max level, which will be my 40th character. Iā€™ve been nonstop leveling alts with this double exp going on, and it feels good to give some love to many alts who hadnā€™t been touched for awhile. Of course, the remaining 10 slots will be for future race/classes, with one slot reserved for an Ogre character and at least two slots for Saurok (maybe up to four).

In the downtime between now and whenever the pre-patch for Shadowlands comes out, Iā€™m thinking of doing some in-game exploring and investigations of different stuff. Believe it or not, I havenā€™t really done a whole lot on Pandaria, as during that time when MoP was the latest expansion, I spent a lot of time leveling alts. I knew about Saurok, though seeing them at the time made me feel like they didnā€™t have much of a chance to ever become playableā€¦my, how the times have changed. :smiley:

Iā€™ve done stuff here and there on my alts, but I figured I should do a bunch of stuff on this character. I figure I might see things more clearly or notice stuff as I do quests, achievements, and the like. Not to mention getting all the reps to exalted on Pandaria means I could probably talk them into trying to open negotiations with Saurok again. Gotta try something, right? Maybe a giant BBQ or meat lovers pizzas for everyone could get them to open talksā€¦

Come to think of it, if I get exalted with the Lorewalkers, you think Lorewalker Cho would be interested in my Saurok research? Maybe I could teach them a thing or two about Saurok while Iā€™m at it. If heā€™s excited at friendly Mogu, then heā€™ll be ecstatic to see Saurok working together as pirates and relaxing in an underwater bar! Iā€™m sure I have some useful information in my research.

In all seriousness, no matter what, Iā€™ll always keep hope alive for playable Horde Saurok! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

3 Likes

I donā€™t know if you ever saw it, but in the Goblin Slayer manga there is a lizardman who acts as a priest for heroes.
It has an interesting look and themes.

And what is much more pertinent to my interest in him, is that he is one of the good guys. In general, it is common to see lizardmen as a villainā€™s moobs or minions.

And he is 2 meters tall. Very tall, as a saurok should be.

h ttps://i.pinimg.com/originals/2f/d5/4e/2fd54e0e9400cb1b994d72209687657b.png

3 Likes

Iā€™ve heard the title before, but I donā€™t know much about it. I didnā€™t know there was a lizard man character at all. Letā€™s look at him:

That looks pretty awesome. Itā€™s like if a Saurok took up some Tauren customs and such.

Apparently, he is referred to as ā€œLizard Priestā€ in the series:

And some of the lizardmen tribes in the series are friendly:

Itā€™s refreshing to see lizardmen that arenā€™t bad guys. Most media that has them usually has them being irrationally angry and savage, often being villains. Not that they canā€™t/shouldnā€™t fill that role, but I see it much more than I see good lizardmen races who are savage but not completely evil. Seems like a hard balance to maintain, though not impossible. :lizard:

Thank you for sharing this! I like learning about different lizardmen races across different media, as you never know what Saurok ideas they could inspire. :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

4 Likes

Thought Iā€™d pop in here to say, since it is August 14th.

Happy World Lizard Day! :lizard::crocodile:

4 Likes

Happy World lizard. day!

5 Likes

:lizard: :lizard: :lizard:

Iā€™d like to take this opportunity to praise the Komodo Dragons and Monitor lizards. I plan on getting a monitor lizard when I get a house. Did you know they are very intelligent?

Did you also know so are crocodiles?

Man I hope to be a Herpetologist someday.

5 Likes

Happy World Lizard Day! :lizard:

I actually found this livestream someone did today for the event at a zoo, where they show off different kinds of lizards:

Both of those are lizards I need to make posts for here for Saurok inspiration ideas, whether theyā€™re for features of those lizards or scale patterns and colors in general. :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

3 Likes

Happy Bithday Saurok megathread and for all your enthusiasts!

2 Likes

So a couple of things for this post.

First, next semester of classes starts soonā€¦well, rather a class starts that wonā€™t be too hard (I hope) for 8 weeks, and then two classes start in the later 8 weeks (one of which Iā€™m a little concerned about). So posts might slow down a bit, though Iā€™ll still be around of course. Iā€™ll always try to find time for Saurok research of some sort. :lizard:

Speaking of which, as I mentioned before as we wait for Shadowlands, Iā€™m redoing a lot of questlines while doing achievements and reps in MoP. Iā€™ve done the different zones across different multiple characters, but I figure itā€™s worth a second look to see if I missed anything or may notice something in a different light. There is also quite a bit I havenā€™t done personally, and I figured I should look into it to see if I notice anything of interest.

An interesting observation I did come across was this Skumblade Skirmisher on the Isle of Thunder:

I came across a group of them on an offensive rush against the Mogu and Zandalari there, though they were neutral to me for some reason. I actually helped them kill a few mobs, where they went to the sea and despawned. Of course, the Skumblade are ran by evil zealots who want to slaughter everyone they consider weak, so they wonā€™t ever be our friends. As I said, just an interesting observation is all.

Speaking of Zandalari, itā€™s interesting to see them as an antagonist during this time, though I believe they were antagonists before. Seeing them be enemies and trying to kill us only to have their lore and culture be expanded with them joining the Horde is pretty amazing in the grand scheme of things.

Itā€™s a reason why I feel like something could be done with Saurok, who would have amazing lore and story potential. I mean, Blizzard even did that with Gilblins, once mindless male-only mooks now with awesome personalities, designs, backstory, and are still a potential playable race that I hope become playable someday. I use to think Saurok were a pipedream, but looking at it, itā€™s not entirely impossible for them to ever become playable in my opinion, though still an uphill battle in general. Hopefully weā€™ll see Saurok get some love and weā€™ll come across a more friendly tribe (who joins the Horde, of course). :lizard:

I also got exalted with the Lorewalkers recently. Maybe I can try to point Lorewalker Cho to this megathread so I can share my research with him. Iā€™m sure he would be very interested, especially since they still keep trying to make peace with the Saurok in general on Pandaria.

More Saurok research to continue in the future! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

4 Likes

So I came across a Saurok related toy in my adventures on Pandaria! Iā€™ll show off the toy and then the mob that drops it:

What this toy does is it sends off this Saurok running a short distance ahead of you, roaring and getting the attention of mobs:

This might have been a toy used for one of those ā€œOH CRAP!ā€ moments where you send the Saurok to taunt mobs off you while you flee to safety.

Sadly, this toy can only be used on Pandaria, so no Saurok racing in Orgrimmar for now. Maybe someday, weā€™ll see actual Saurok players race each other when the dinner bells ring in Orgrimmar and the meat merchants make some serious profit.

If anyone happens to know of any other Saurok related toys, please share! :lizard:

This mob drops the item:

Heā€™s across the river from where Saylisā€™ Warband is. He wanders and occasionally swims in the river. The item isnā€™t a 100% drop, but the times I killed him bringing alts to farm for the Son of Galleon mount, roughly 5 or 6 times, the toy dropped three times for me. Your mileage may vary, though.

Speaking of the Son of Galleon mount, I did notice some flavor text for it when you look it up in your mount collection:

ā€œTrained from a young age, these massive kushan are taught to thunder into battle carrying a full saurok warband.ā€

Interesting thing to note is the word ā€œkushan.ā€ Wowpedia actually mentions this:

ā€œThe Mount Journal entry for Son of Galleonā€™s Saddle refers to Galleon as a ā€œkushanā€. This is presumably a typo, since Galleon is referred to as a mushan in the Adventure Guide entry for Salyisā€™s Warband.ā€

Anyway, 42 kills so far and no mount. I heard people mention the mounts from the MoP world bosses are hard to get, and Iā€™m not surprised. Still, itā€™s something Iā€™ll try to get as the weekly lockout unlocks for my characters (might even go with my Saurok armor transmog!). In the meantime, Iā€™ll continue to keep an eye out for any interesting Saurok stuff as I go through MoP again.

3 Likes

So I finally got around to getting transmogs of the other Saurok armor colors. I finished the blue set by farming Throne of Thunder Heroic!

It looks pretty cool, though I think I prefer the green set. However, I did decide to put it on my Alliance male Pandaren BM Hunter. You can see him here, though with the tabard I usually keep them visible on characters to know which one I have on for grinding-rep purposes unless I find one that goes with a transmog:

That just leaves the red version of the armor left, and there is a confusing issue with the waist item, which doesnā€™t seem to drop from the LFR version of Throne of Thunder.

Iā€™m going to do some research on the two items that give the waist transmog and try to see how I can get either of them, as it sounds like one item, which no longer drops in Throne of Thunder LFR according to different Wowhead comments, drops either as a ā€œfail bagā€ item chance for two bosses (Nalak and Oondasta) or as a possible loot drop from a solo scenario (Troves of the Thunder King), while the other item can be gotten from random-loot-spawn items you can buy using Seafarerā€™s Dubloons from Island Expeditions in BfA.

If you want to see all the items needed for the set, you can see the Wowhead link here:

Iā€™ll report back on it as I do some more research and try to see how to get that waist item. Itā€™s the last piece I need to finish this armor set. A shame it doesnā€™t appear to drop at all from from the raid itself. -grumble grumble-

In the meantime, if I could again ask for someone to post since Iā€™m at three posts in a row again, I would be very grateful so I can continue to post here. I have more Pandaria exploring, and this way I can post more of my Saurok-related findings. :lizard:

2 Likes

Qā€™pla.

Congratulations!

2 Likes

I came across a Saurok specific achievement on the Isle of Thunder that is part of an achievement that gives you ā€œThe Stormbreakerā€ title:

It involves you finding the different forms of Kros and then typing /bow with them targeted. Comments mention that all four forms nowadays should be up at the same time, though some comments mention this may not be the case. Iā€™ll be investigating this in the near future, as school work is taking up most of my time. -grumble grumble-

I also found a video guide for it on youtube (uploaded in 2013, so there might be some things that changed such as all forms possibly being up currently as opposed to back then):

I view this achievement as more of a ā€œfor funā€ thing than any potential unlock criteria for potential future playable Saurok, especially since it deals with the Skumblade, but trying to get on Krosā€™ good side wouldnā€™t be too bad of an idea. Maybe heā€™ll grant us playable Horde Saurok if weā€™re luckyā€¦or maybe some other wild god other Saurok tribes would worship would be more likely to do that. :lizard:

Anyway, just wanted to share this achievement I found. Iā€™ll continue adventuring on Pandaria and report any more Saurok-related findings that I see!

3 Likes

While going through the Dread Wastes zone, I actually came across a Muckscale Flesh-Hunter, who was walking around with a turtle pet:

This is the second instance Iā€™ve seen of Saurok with a tamed animal pet. The mob and pet shown here are these mobs:

The tribe in question is the Muckscale tribe. Not much is really known about them, so itā€™s unclear whether they have any views like the Skumblade on pets, where relying on or utilizing one makes one weak.

Iā€™m going to guess not because these Saurok are freely walking around the area with their turtle pets, so it likely means itā€™s much more accepted to use them both to hunt and also to transport stuff. It also stands to reason that if some of the Skumblade can form bonds with their basilisks, the Muckscale could also form a bond with their turtle pets.

Now, given that Pandaren Hunters start with the same type of turtle, I donā€™t think Saurok would start with them, even if turtles would be more likely to travel underwater much easier than basilisks if the playable Saurok faction swam away from Pandaria. So far, I still lean a bit more towards basilisks between the two to be a bit more unique, but starting Saurok Hunter pets would also depend where playable Saurok come from and the local creatures in the area. Either they would be on Pandaria still and tame the local wildlife there, migrated with some creatures from Pandaria, or they tamed the local wildlife in the new location. Lots of possibilities for pets!

Iā€™ve updated the main post to include this find, and if anyone knows of any other animal pets Saurok utilize, please share! In the meantime, Iā€™m going to continue my journey across Pandaria to seek out more Saurok stuff. Iā€™ll be sure to report any findings! If anyone finds anything as well, please share it too! :lizard:

3 Likes

I really cannot wait to get Saurok playable. (and Sethrak).

Got many thoughts for my Saurok hunter. Until now I was thinking mm for him but now I might go Survival.

:meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

I was toying with the idea of a Saurok Survival Hunter, as I do want one of my remaining character slots to be a Horde Survival Hunter. Hunter is my favorite class, and I wanted one of each spec for each faction. The idea of a Saurok hunting with a spear, such as underwater spear-fishing or spear fighting in general, and a reptilian pet of some kind is an awesome sight to see. It really depends what new races come in the future though, as I was also considering a Gilblin Survival Hunter with aquatic pets if they become playable too. :lizard:

Iā€™m also considering saving my Saurok Shadow Priest idea for if Sethrak become playable, since my remaining free character slots are limited and I would want to create a Sethrak character if they do become playable. The Priest class could be a more likely class for Sethrak as well. :snake:

I really wish I could get more character slots for this account, as itā€™s hard to plan ahead for future characters with the few slots I have, especially since we donā€™t know what future races will eventually come. There are many races I want playable, but not enough slots to be able to work with the off chance they do become playable. Argh! x- x

At least with Saurok, they should be able to be Warlocks and Death Knights if they become playable. Hopefully with Death Knights, it would be an available class when Saurok would become playable as opposed to waiting awhile for another Death Knight starting area for newer races. :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

3 Likes

So I looked into the ā€œWhen in Ihgaluk, do as the Skumblade Doā€ achievement, and only two of the four mobs needed for it were actually up. In my case, the baby Kros was wandering around while the sacrificed Kros was on the alter. Neither egg Kros or Adult Kros were up. It previously took four days for each phase to change, though some comments on Wowhead mention it taking longer. Seems like Iā€™ll have to keep checking the area daily to pay my respects.

Also, Iā€™ve been looking to do the quest that turns me into a Saurok so I can hang out with the Skumblade, and it only pops up when you have the daily to do that section of the zone from my understanding. Itā€™s also suppose to be a one-time quest, according to Wowhead comments, so I assume/hope you can turn into a Saurok anytime you jolly well please once you do it (on Isle of Thunder only, of course).

Horde version:

Alliance version:

In order to get the dailies, you have to go through the beginning quest chain on the Isle of Thunder. How to get there in the first place? Go to Townlong Steppes (Shado-Pan Garridon flight point), and talk to the following NPCā€™s to get there:

Horde:

Alliance:

After doing that quest to get to Isle of Thunder, a portal opens where you talked to the NPC in Townlong Steppes. This is how you get back to Isle of Thunder when you leave it.

When you complete the intro quests on Isle of Thunder, your faction sets up a base where you can do dailies. You should see a blue ! on your map (remember to turn on trivial quest tracking for you high leveled folks), which lets you choose between PvE and PvP quests. Choose PvE to open some more dailies (which are random each day).

The daily quest that is suppose to lead to Skin of the Saurok, according to comments, is this:

Horde:

Alliance:

When the daily for that section actually pops up for me, Iā€™ll have to give it a try to see how it works. Again, comments say Skin of the Saurok is a one-time quest, so Iā€™ll have to see how to get the disguise again once you leave the area and such. If anyone knows, please post!

At any rate, I figured Iā€™d try to make a little guide for those that want to run around as a Saurok. Hopefully weā€™ll be able to run around the world (of Warcraft!) in general as a Horde Saurok someday, but for now, I guess hanging around with the Skumblade will have to do for now. :lizard:

2 Likes