The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

Several.

Firstly, his comments on High Elves being available through Blood Elves came about during the course of defending the implementation of Void Elves over High Elves. Less than a dozen hours after Void Elves had been revealed at Blizzcon 2017, he already got asked about High Elves. Clearly, that’s not something he wanted to hear. So he’s had to defend a race he chose to implement over a community request, because no one in his position and in their right mind is going to publicly say, “Yeah, Void Elves were a mistake, we’re sorry for wasting an Alliance Allied Race slot.” Such a comment spits in the face of players who sincerely like Void Elves, and is a blatant acknowledgement that a player request was flat out ignored. Better to seem out of touch with the community rather than willfully ignoring them.

Secondly, we still don’t have High Elves because they never would have flown as a Core Race, but as an Allied Race make perfect sense. Allied Races had been chosen in advance. As Ion himself has said, it’s only now, after Kul Tirans and Zandalari have been released, that they can go back to the early days of BFA and look at feedback from players, and work on implementing community requests.

In short, we’re at the point where High Elves are possible. I wouldn’t hope for them during BFA, but depending on how badly they want to boost the sales of character services for the annual financial reports, we might just get them before the expansion is out.

18 Likes

Huh? I never said that the Night Elves were part of the Alliance of Lordaeron. I said that the Humans from Lordaeron and the Night Elves both had instances where they treated the Thalassian Elves poorly.

The Night Elves contended with the Thalassian Elves long ago when they were former Highborne. The Night Elves are responsible for exiling most of the Highborne, where they went off to found Quel’Danas and become the High Elves.

By their own people, I meant that the High Elves chose to cut ties with the Blood Elves in order to maintain their relationship with the Alliance in spite of the Night Elves and Humans from Lordaeron mistreating them.

The Night Elves treated the Thalassian Elves poorly, back when the Thalassian Elves were known as the Highborne, and the Night Elves are now part of the Alliance.

I’ll concede to the point about Garithos and his band mistreating the Blood Elves. You’re actually correct there.

Again, I’m not completely opposed to it, but it would be nice to see something else before we see High Elves. We SHOULD have gotten the High Elves instead of the Void Elves, but that isn’t exactly something Blizzard can go back on.

1 Like

Looking at actual requests from Alliance players, the most popular ones to come up are:

Broken/Krokul
High Elves
Wildhammer Dwarves
Vykrul

I believe a comment from developers in the past stated they were actually doing some conceptual work for Wildhammers as an Allied Race.

6 Likes

And as I said, the Night Elves joined the Alliance after the High Elves. If anyone should’ve shied away from the Alliance because of a 10k years old grudge, it should’ve been the Night Elves, not the people who were already part of it.

The Blood Elves were the remnants of Quel’thalas, and likely most living High Elves had already cut ties with Quel’thalas when Anasterian decided to leave the Alliance. They had no duty to Kael’thas or their arrogant cousins who brought all that ruin upon themselves.

8 Likes

Sounds great to me.

See though, things such as Wildhammer Dwarves and even Mag’har Orcs should be skin / tattoo options rather than Allied Races, but that’s just my opinion on the matter.

Sure, the Lightforged Draenei and Void Elves worked well with the story Blizzard was telling in Argus, but the Broken should have come with the High Elves in Legion. That would have better, in my opinion, than throwing us two void and light infused sub-races.

1 Like

Considering the extent of customization Mag’har have, I can’t say I quite agree. Giving Orcs brown skin would just miss out on so many other skins we see the Mag’har using.

Anyways, there’s also the class options to consider. Mag’har can be Priests thanks to the Shadowmoon Orcs. I don’t think Orcs could be. Similarly, Wildhammer Dwarves may be able to be Druids depending on if the RPGs are consulted for the addition of such, and considering Tandred existed nowhere but the RPGs, it seems fair to say Blizzard is still seeking inspiration from them.

So, even though some races may have possibly worked as simple additional customization, we’ve seen them bring in new class options that don’t make sense for the existing race to have.

7 Likes

This is what Jeremy Feasel said:

We're definitely looking for more ideas from the community. I know that there are particular groups of Dwarves that really wanna be a Wildhammer member and have all those awesome tattoos, and these ideas ultimately result in us having very nerdy conversations on the whiteboard talking about "oh this is a great idea!", so please, keep shoving those ideas at us, we love hearing them!

Remember, they originally tried floating some idea of Wildhammers being wiped out, before quickly backtracking in face of outrage. Now they are saying this.

The same could be true for High Elves.

13 Likes

Don’t let the dogpiling or Nyshant’s superiority complex get to you. You’re saying good stuff.

People in here seem to love lore and are eager to bend or break it when it comes to implementing High Elves, while in the same breath talking mad smack about Void Elf lore being weak and contrived. :man_shrugging:

Unfortunately, Unstoppable Force vs. Immovable Object is the House Special in here. We can only deliberate with the info we’re given, which doesn’t include developer interaction on the design room floor.

We’ll see what we see. They’ll see what they see. Only difference seems to be we see evidence for what is, and they see evidence for what could be. Real meta Light vs. Void mentality going on.

If I come across you on ED, I’ll give you a wave.

2 Likes

Jeremy Feasel said something similar in a dev interview last year regarding player feedback, then looked to the camera and joked, “It’s High Elves.”

I don’t know why you guys keep citing them asking for player feedback as if it merits some newfound purpose regarding High Elf requests.

They’re not ever going to tell you to stop, but don’t pretend you’re some unknown secret. They have and continue to hear you.

Don’t conflate that with changing their stance on High Elves (Read: no current plans) until stated directly otherwise.

You are quite oblivious aren’t you?

If they can change their tune about Wildhammers, then they can change their tune about High Elves. And they already have per Alex Afrasiabi’s comments.

I know, I know, really difficult concept to grasp…

4 Likes

Not true, it was the playerbase misinterpreting a character in BfA. The character, Boss Tak, was talking about his clan being wiped out by the Twilight’s Hammer, but he was refering only to the Doyle clan of wildhammers, which we saw wiped out in Cataclysm, not the entire Wildhammer clan.

7 Likes

“They can” is a really pointless thing to start anything with, because it potentially could be followed by literally anything.

• “They can” make Half Elves
  • “They can” delete the factions after BFA
  • “They can” have Sylvanas redeem herself
  • “They can” allow N’zoth to infect Azeroth
  • “They can” fold High Elves into Void Elves

However, I’m not interested in discussing unforseeable futures as it’s a pointless endeavor. I’d rather focus on what’s likely based on evidence or what’s solidly quantifiable from existing lore and developer interviews.

2 Likes

No he wasn’t.

He literally doesn’t know the lore. He was just making stuff up.

Writing a lot of words about nothing isn’t saying good stuff.

He doesn’t know about how “Evolution” works in WoW. He’s made up his own lore about High Elves and he keeps talking about what the developers said when it’s not what the developers said.

If by “Good Stuff” you mean, “Hey I’ll finally have someone to do developer roleplay with on Emerald Dream.” then I guess that’s accurate.

Lydon: “And then Ion said, “No High Elves!” and the Development team was totally with him!”
Baldarun: “And my thoughts are that the Development Team agree with what I think! and say what I think they said!”

We all want to see the TRP for that one.

Quit trying to promote misinformation on this thread. Baldarun writes well and is confident, even if it takes him awhile to write. But he doesn’t know what he’s writing about so it’s just a large volume of words with no real meaning. So the issue is we’ll have people like you thinking he “Wrote good stuff.” when he’s just writing inaccurately about things.

10 Likes

Then go somewhere else, this thread is for possibilities, not to keep revisiting the past again and again.

In the past high elves aren’t playable. In the future, they may be.

18 Likes

He is also ignoring the developer interviews or misquoting them.

So his stated intentions are not his true intentions.

“What Ion said is what is true and factual, except the part of what he said that I don’t like. That’s PR.”

8 Likes

One is misinformed and one is disingenuous…as per usual.

6 Likes

They haven’t changed their stance about High Elves for the last fifteen years, and yet, instead of vanishing, the discussion keeps coming back and forth, and now it’s igniting everywhere :fire:, more than ever before.

Another fun fact is much of this discussion was held after them stating twice about not planning High Elves, so I would say it doesn’t really matter.

I’ve been absent from forums between July to October 2018, and I was pleased by the number of threads that was created during that time frame, way more than I would expected.

So, don’t expect to see this thread going away anytime soon.

16 Likes

There’s only one way to shut us up. Give us the damn playable high elves, already!

11 Likes

I see dragon-based races come up a lot too. That’s probably got a bit of traction since Drakonaar is one of Alex’s favorites, but that also kinda decreases the likelihood of seeing them on Alliance.

4 Likes