The Unfortunate Racist implication of Human Exceptionalism

Its become clear over the past few expansions that the popular trope of “Humanity is Special” is a key part of the Alliance identity. Like it or not, the exhalation of humanity and its exceptionalism is a key facet of the Alliance identity now. Don’t play a human character or bend the knee at their exceptionalism? Tough luck, Alliance Faction Pride is not for you.

“Humanity is Special” is perhaps the most basic and easiest trope to write for. As a species, we as humanity is rather a rather shallow yet egoistical species. We can’t help but be unable to fathom a universe without us. In February 14 1990, Carl Sagan coined a photo from the Voyager 1 space probe as "The Pale Blue Dot. The entirety of the human race compiled as a mere dot one a photograph of the planet Earth. In the world of fiction, we as a species seems determined to deny the fact that we just aren’t that special and prove ourselves too exceptional as a species to fade out into the dark.

In the realm of TvTropes, the trope of the trope of “most writers are human” rings most resoundingly. We as a species cannot accept that humanity is not “special.” If we as a species are not special, how can we explain ourselves in a world where other races have a clear advantage in specific niches? Does this regal us to a pathetic comic book universe where metahumans (aka, humans with clear author favoritism and fiat) are the only subspecies worthy of recognition?

This bothers me as someone who has struggled to identity “what is Alliance pride?” I don’t play human characters. I don’t care for most “alliance virtues.” Hell, in most role-playing universes, Druids are straight up incompatible “lawful Stupid overdrive.”. What is “faction pride” for someone who does not play a human paladin? Why should I care for Lorderon or the Eastern Kingdoms in general? I picked the class and racial combo not just because it was the only option for night elves, but because leveling in Kalimdor seemed more interesting than leveling in “not medieval England variant #294763.”

However, Its rather apparent that I am an aberration in Blizzard eyes. As someone who plays a racial and class combo that is “blue,” I am supposed to identity with the WC2 faction identity of humanity first. Lorderon, Dues Vult!!11! or whatever is popular those days. I am supposed to care what Anduin or Jaina feels over the the views or beliefs of Tyrande, Malfurion, over even our blessed goddess Maiev, my racial leaders. I am also expected to accept whatever character assassinations Blizzards decides to put forward to force their belief into the overall narrative.

How pathetic is “alliance pride” that we need to rely on the fact that the player is human to manufacture “faction pride?” I recall a college class of public speaking commenting on Ethnocentrism. The class warned of the dangers of relying on racial pride so much that your speech boils down to racial supremacy. This summons up the uncomfortable truth that “human exceptionalism” is derived from an older trope known as “Mighty Whitey.”

“Mighty Whitey” is a common trope in 18th and 19th century adventure fiction, when Europeans were visiting and documenting vast swathes of the world for the first time. Not only does the usual protagonist learns the way of the tribe, but he (it is almost always a male protagonist) but he usually ends up with the Chieftains daughter. Mighty Whitey pops up as the result of creative types trying to appeal to as broad a cross-section of society as possible to get their cash back. Just remove the skin coloration or cultural implications, throw in some pointed ears and some uncomfortable cultural implication and we’ve got ourselves a quick and easy method to manufacture “faction pride.”

Like it or not, much of “Alliance pride” is focused on an old idea of racial supremacy. I don’t think it is intentional, but a result of a blatant lack of interest of the developers to explore anything that isn’t one of the two commonly proposed Horde story lines that we’ve seem pushed forward. Regardless of the unfortunate implications, Blizzard has set a racist standard with the Alliance story. Humanity first, everyone else is a subhuman standard that will always play second fiddle to the OG human storyline.

So, non-humans of the Alliance. Do you care for the values of your human masters? Or do you have a more “human” approach to a multi-racial problem that seemingly only revolves around Stormwind?

Sources:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HumansAreSpecial
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MightyWhitey

60 Likes

I miss Vanilla era Humans where they were incredibly flawed, corrupt and incompetent due to their political system and the other races just looked down on them.

71 Likes

It’s…honestly kind of comical how badly descriptions of the Troll Wars try and make the humans and elves the protagonists.

At times I almost feel as if I’m reading a 1800’s report to British High Command about how they “brought peace to the brutish savages”.

60 Likes

This is kind of over the top, but I agree with the general feeling towards the Alliance - it’s the boring faction because it only focuses on a single race. Allied Races have also been harder to introduce for the Alliance because of this.

I can’t share it (easily) because of annoying restrictions, but I have a pair of screenshots I love from Naz’jatar where you see the Horde and Alliance face off.

Horde: Two very different looking elf leaders in front of a goblin in a tech fighter outfit, a HMT wearing heavy plate, and a Forsaken looking sinister in a mask. Cool!

Alliance: two human leaders in front of three more humans in Stormwind armor.

35 Likes

What, you find it odd that after thousands of years, only “humans” bothered to consider that working together could they multiply a spell’s potential (oh ho, did you see what I did there?) in a way that totally multiplied the spells output in a way that no one bother to consider?

Does that not scream of racial favoritism to anyone?

24 Likes

I think humanity is special irl but I think you are close to the truth with the narrative of WoW resembling 18th/19th century colonial fiction/propaganda.

17 Likes

It’s either Humans are the Zerg of the setting, throwing meat into the grinder in a way unbefitting their long gestation period, maturation period, life span and average number of births.

Or Humans have something special about them that gives them an edge over races that are smarter or older or faster or more advanced more numerous.

Nobody’s going to put in Humans in a setting without one of the two unless the setting is a cosmic horror.

4 Likes

Oh, you mean what started as a reasonable response to human suffering in fiction that has blossomed into a cringe-fest of cancer that can be seen in haughty pride, arrogance, zealotry, blind idiocy, self-righteousness, and many more vices are enabled by such tooting of our own metaphorical horns? The worst part is how this attitude spreads to other fandoms like wildfire, even if humans or aliens aren’t interacting with each other or even involved in the setting! The irony kicks in when you realize that many of the idols that HFY memers get their Idolatry on the very vices that they looked down on other races for?

Basically, HFY puts forth humanity as a Mary-Sue.

3 Likes

Flagged for trolling
Nothing to see here folks,

11 Likes

Yeah, agreed, this is either a troll or a zealot with how knee jerk OP’s “call it racist “ reaction is.

5 Likes

Just a weird nelf RPer having a bad day tbh

6 Likes

This is by far the most tragic part of Stormwind. There is so much potential (oh goodness) for a inner- faction Alliance story. But nope. This gets thrown out within a patch or two if the Wrynn’s showing face. Stormwind ends up sacrificing its very identity in order to be the"face" of the Alliance.

42 Likes

Blizzard is incredibly racist when it comes to portraying “primitive” races.

Dwarves slaughtered an entire Tauren village and stole their land? Don’t worry, Tauren were rewritten half-way through to be stereotypical peace loving native portrayal that is wildly seen as problematic.

Trolls get massacred en-mass for their territory? It’s the PRIMITIVES that are evil!

Quilboar want to defend their land? Don’t ask questions, just KILL THEM ALL.

We need Blizzard to watch Pocahontas for this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oEWA7UglB4

37 Likes

My favorite moment of BFA was when Anduin took on the white man’s burden to educate the violent, savage Saurfang in the ways of honor. Truly inspiring stuff.

62 Likes

The true best part was him referencing to Daelin as an example comparable to Blackhand when Daelin was nothing but proven correct in BFA.

39 Likes

Nah man, Daelin tried to kill Thrall. Thrall’s an honorary whi…I mean, “raised by humans”.

12 Likes

Obviously this post has already rustled the jimmies of a few people who didn’t bother to actually engage with it. It’ll probably rustle a few more before it’s done.

I don’t see Blizzard’s design goals for the Alliance story changing very much. Expansions have been getting smaller, not bigger, and as of the end of Legion, any new expansion Blizzard produces also needs to dedicate significant amounts of time to establishing villains. It sucks, but the Alliance is going to get more simplistic, not more nuanced. And if it feels like they’re getting more nuanced, BfA has taught me that only means that someone is about to become the next villain.

I’d make the suggestion to you that I made to a demoralized Lena about a year ago. The Horde doesn’t have this problem and by design is where Blizzard will be putting their increasingly limited creative energy in terms of writing a story that’s not for ‘humans.’ It’s not a rose garden over here either, but maybe you’re ready for a different kind of suck.

13 Likes

Lena actually wasn’t demoralized. It just proved her point.

You could also join us in the discord. More depravity is welcomed.

8 Likes

This summons up the uncomfortable truth that “human exceptionalism” is derived from an older trope known as “Mighty Whitey.”

There is nothing more “Mightey Whitey” than Turalyon showing up on a space ship, and in a few short years becoming their greatest warrior, but also their leader and spokesman. Among a race of warriors who have been fighting for 20,000+ years Turalyon is the greatest of them for reasons unexplained. Bonus points of course, that he manages to have the exotic wife with Alleria, being an Elf. Extra points when you realize they made her dark skinned in her void elf form, which matches perfectly with the Trope.

There is of course the entirety of BFA that one also has to consider, the Horde has been portrayed as more Savage, more evil than ever before… in fact, even the alliance has, especially the Night Elves, but even the non-night elves haven’t exactly escaped for the revelry of killing the Horde with Glee… except for a certain sect of them. Specifically Anduin and Jaina, the blonde haired… blue eyed… paragons of their race. I’m not necessarily saying it was intentional or the authors have even realized it themselves, but the imagery is… it’s hard to ignore if you have any knowledge in cultural studies or political studies.

The greatest of the alliance are effectively a pair of blonde haired, blue eyed humans, saving the Savages from themselves and reminding them that “Hey you guys aren’t all bad, remember your culture! Honor!” It’s just a little to on the nose for me to ignore.

55 Likes

The Horde has a different problem.

Our personality is at the whims of the writers with no consistent portrayal from one scene to the next, nothing can be construed as what is “real” Horde and it’s left the playerbase eternally arguing what they determine the Horde should be.

Then Blizzard ignores that, installs an Alliance-lite council and makes us “good” again. Until their whims beg otherwise.

I’d rather be Alliance and have a consistent portrayal–although bad–than a flexible portrayal that never gets me invested because who knows if the thing I like will be canon by the next expansion or won’t be utterly ruined because “RULE OF COOL.”

39 Likes