The truth about "Orc Fatigue" "night elf fatigue" "Human Fatigue"

Have you… ever used the portal chamber in Stormwind?

1 Like

Except that there weren’t 4 expansions of elf content.

• Legion had, at best, a single zone, Val’sharah, which was Night Elf themed. You could argue maybe 2 zones with Azsuna, but that’s stretching it, seeing as the main focus of the zone was fighting the Naga and aiding the Blue Dragonflight.

• BFA had the 8.0 pre-patch event and the 8.1 warfront. The rest of the content for the expansion was not focused on the Night Elves.

• Shadowlands had a few quest chains focused around Tyrande and setting up a future for the Night Elves. Despite what some muppets are saying on the forum and Twitter, Ardenweald as a whole is not ‘Night Elf’ content.

• Dragonflight likewise has not had a strong focus on the Night Elves. A pre-patch event leading up to the Emerald Dream patch, the Emerald Dream patch, and Amirdrassil being created. The bulk of the expansion has not been focused on them.

But, but… a zone or two and some quest chains totally makes an expansion focused on the Night Elves! I hear you say. Well no. Also, other races and the Horde got attention from Blizzard in those expansions too.

• The Tauren got a zone to themselves via Highmountain in Legion. I won’t count Suramar though, because the Nightborne didn’t join the Horde until the end of the expansion after the main storyline for the Nightborne had already been wrapped up.
  • BFA got a lot of content focused around the Horde, including an entire raid tier which made no sense to Alliance players, only Horde as the storyline for Uldir and its importance is only covered via the Horde questing in Nazmir. The Alliance quest chain doesn’t mention G’huun at all.
  • Shadowlands saw the first steps for the Forsaken gaining their post-Sylvanas identity, rebuilding Brill and reclaiming the upper regions of Lordaeron City.
  • Dragonflight had a multi-quest chain that saw Baine and his people start to break the cycle of hatred that they formed with the Centaur and expanded the Forsaken storyline to see them fight the Scarlet Crusade again, which plays into the content of the upcoming patch where the Gilneans reclaim their home.

Now are these comparable and is there faction parity? No. But to act like Night Elves and only Night Elves got attention from Blizzard for 4 expansions in a row is stupid, especially seeing as most of that content was a small part of the whole.

6 Likes

This has already been disputed previously in this thread and the Twitter thread, and I am not interested in spoonfeeding it again.

5 Likes

Well you brought up the argument that we got ‘4 expansions of Night Elf content’ when we didn’t. So, deal with it.

Out of all the previous 4 expansions, the only one that could be considered ‘night elf focused’ is Dragonflight, and even that doesn’t really stack up as most of the expansion wasn’t focused on them at all. Only a small quest chain in 10.1.7, the 10.2 patch and the creation of the Night Elf capital that’s dropping in 10.2.5

6 Likes

Yes, we did. It is disingenuous to say that Legion-Dragonflight were not heavily Night Elf centric expansions (the notion that Tyrande isn’t Night Elf content is stupid given that WoW intentionally transitioned from world-driven to character-driven plot lines), and it’s silly that “fatigue” is inapplicable to them when it suddenly is applicable to races that get far less time in the sun.

I do not care what lie you and Zerde want to tell yourself to rationalize it. If you would like to deal with it yourself, be my guest.

8 Likes

It’s disingenuous to claim that they are.

Again, I already pointed out the reality to you with respect to what we actually got in those expansions that were ‘Night Elf themed’ and I pointed out that the Horde and Horde races got content in those expansions too, as did other races.

And again, just to hammer the point home since despite claiming you read Eric’s thread you seem to have missed the point. The ‘orc fatigue’ claim comes from FIGHTING Orcs. Likewise with ‘troll fatigue’ it comes from them being the enemy that we kill. Last I checked, we haven’t been murdering Night Elves for 4 expansions in a row. BFA saw a large amount of Night Elves being the enemy for Horde players, and Dragonflight saw a large number of Night Elves in the Primalist army, but that’s it.

3 Likes

Neat, I reject the premise that killing them is an applicable factor as to whether fatigue kicks in. Orc fatigue apparently means that they get booted almost entirely from Legion, even though it would be an applicable expac for them.

Just because Eric has stated something does not make it inherently believable in terms of what is presented in game. Doesn’t matter if they’re enemies or allies when the results of the fatigue mean rhe race gets benched regardless.

I didn’t miss the point. I don’t agree with the point.

3 Likes

You rejecting the premise is irrelevant.

That’s where ‘orc fatigue’ comes from, and it’s spelled out plainly from someone who worked on those expansions when they were current (Eric only recently lost his job at Blizzard during Dragonflight’s development). That’s where the concept comes from.

‘Orc Fatigue’ comes from the idea that we were fighting Orcs for multiple patches and an entire expansion. And while there was some minor variations present, the bulk of the enemies that we were fighting in all that content were Orcs, and had Blizzard not changed course with WoD due to ‘orc fatigue’ we would have fought even more Orcs.

That’s why WoD was changed. Not because Blizzard got tired of making Orc content. But because they didn’t want US to get bored of just fighting another group of Orcs.

There’s only so many times you can make someone fight the same bad guy before they get bored and don’t want to do it anymore.

1 Like

And you accepting it is equally irrelevant. I played the game, and I saw what the results of orc fatigue were, and how long it took to get that. If orc fatigue meant less killing orcs, then it shouldn’t be mutually exclusive with excluding them from plot lines where they’re NOT being killed.

It wasn’t, so I’m not going to pretend that what Eric said is true. I’m not saying he’s lying, but the proof is in the finalized product far more than the spoken reasoning. If fatigue affects more than just who our enemies are, then I will factor in those other elements when determining what causes it - or rather, how it is selectively applied.

Telling me over and over again that it’s about who we’re fighting is not going to change this.

4 Likes

More unwilling, I’d argue. Safe to say from the interviews over the years that most of the higher up devs really do not take much of what the playerbase says or wants to heart. They cannot read the room of course, but enough of the higher ups have big enough egos to think that theirs is the only story worth telling.

And really, Blizzard having been under Activision for so long, there’s just no way they weren’t saving High Elves for a “Break glass in case of sub loss” situation. Void Elves when they first launched were just copitulation, when they were in a stronger place coming off Legion.

2 Likes

I have, which is why I very clearly said I might have missed some. I don’t usually pay attention to the NPCs keeping portals open when the portal itself is what I’m there for.

No, the Silver Convenant is not meaningless, because they would be the literal HIGH ELVES that people been asking for.

It’s a win win for high elf fans

3 Likes

Ignoring that they worked together to save their city and the Alliance player literally nurtured them back into existence with the Arcan’dor, so the example is not even comparable.

But Highborne were already accepted back into night elf society by Cata, and FFS, the Nightborne being snubbed by Tyrande had nothing to do with them just being Highborne (whom she worked with cordially several times since the third war).

5 Likes

Because they had Tyrande be the bad guy who ironically allowed the Highborne back into night elven society. Suramar at the height of the Kaldorei Empire was more or less the jewel of the Empire’s eye. It’s glory was second to that of Zin’Azshari/Elun’dris. And then it was lost for 10,000 years. The shaldorei are the only living thing that has kept to the Empire’s standards but again they evolved into their own thing.

However, since the Nightwell changed them and they couldn’t receive the blessings of Elune. (Their shield not only protected them but also blotted out the light of not only the sun but also the moon.) So many took to worshipping the Nightwell instead of Elune.

The Horde player does the same thing iirc.

Since there’s no canonical player, each faction’s player has the impression that they alone or together with the other faction carried out the task.

1 Like

You can’t head out into Stormwind without passing a High Elf training a bunch of mages though. There’s a line up of a worgen, a gnome, a void elf, etc… standing in front of a High Elf, on the left hand side when exiting the portal room to Stormwind. She’s been in Stormwind portal room since before the update, since Vanilla.

I’d think anyone who checked out the new portal chamber at least once would’ve taken notice, but I guess that may not be true.

2 Likes

The whole High Elf debacle going on is just a really bizarre situation with blizzard. Where blizz will ocassionally show us that they exist amongst the alliance, but has this weird revulsion about making them playable

3 Likes

Occasionally? Aside from WoD and Dragonflight the high elves are show working with the Alliance in each expansion. Heck, the probably feature more then several allied races/core races.

3 Likes

I know, that’s my point. And blizzard has this weird revulsion and outright hatred about making them playable. People had to complain endlessly just to get the HE customizations out

3 Likes