The Syndicate Atal'ai

This story is a continuation of the New Syndicate story, which you can find here on the World’s End Tavern (A New Syndicate).

When Garrosh Hellscream granted the Blackrock orcs amnesty after the events of the Cataclysm, the Smolderthorn and Firetree tribes were left alone, abandoned by their former orc allies. Their tribes fell on hard times, and became bitter towards all orcs. The Firegut ogres began brutalizing the tribes, and soon open warfare began in the Burning Steppes between the trolls and the ogres. Over time, the trolls began to lose ground.

When Nez’kon, the High Priest of Quetz’lun, brought the combined forces of the Syndicate Atal’ai to the Swamp of Sorrows to summon Quetz’lun into the world at Sunken Temple, the Firegut orgres had claimed nearly all of the Steppes territory.

The Smolderthorn priests were desperate. As their leader, Shadow Hunter Vosh’gajin prepared a chant to call out to the loa for guidance once again, just as they had done for countless times since moving to Blackrock Mtn. For Vosh’gajin, this time felt different. The energy she channeled seemed to vibrate as she chanted the loa call.

There was an answer!

Quetz’lun, the loa of cunning, commanded that the Smolderthorn bring their allies and travel to the Swamp of Sorrows submit to her at Quetz’lun’alor (the temple of Quetz’lun).

<Vosh’gajin is shown images of the temple and the direction needed to travel>

She orders the Smolderthorn to prepare to leave the Steppes and gathers as many Firetree trolls as she can to follow her.

When Vosh’gajin and the Smolderthorn leave the Redridge Mts, they gaze down into the swamps, looking for the newly risen temple of Quetz’lun’alor, but a thick mist obscures their view.

She is uneasy, but leads her people into the mists.

As the mists envelope the newcomers, Vosh’gajin realizes she cannot see her outstretched hand in front of her.

Soon, she is greeted by other trolls, both jungle and forest kind. As she passes, they hail her as though she were a long lost tribe member. She and her people are guided to the temple.

At the temple, the mists relax.

Vosh’gajin can now see the glory of the newly risen and fortified temple. It is an impressive sight. The loa Quetz’lun hovers at its peak.

The loa’s high priest, Nezkon, greets Vosh’gajin. “Welcome, Shadow Hunter. She has been expecting you.”

Quetz’lun asks if Vosh’gajin and her people will submit to her guidance. Vosh’gajin pledges her loyalty. So do her followers, Smolderthorn and Firetree.

Quetz’lun accepts her pledge and declares: “Greet my newest speakers, my High Priest Nez’kon and the Shadowhunter Vosh’gajin! From this day forward, the tribes you belong to are no more. Apart, those tribes were weak! Together, you are strong! You are now ALL Bloodthorn! And with my guidance, these speakers shall command you!”

“Witherbark! Do not despair. Come forth, Ojin’ba.”

<Ojin’ba approaches Quetz’lun>

“I know your people are not satisfied! You pine for another loa! So be it. I will arrange for your Shadra to be brought forth into the world, but you must not be idle in this process!”

“Praise Quetz’lun! We will be eternally grateful, cunning one. What must be done?”

“You must travel to the Hinterlands, unite the Vilebranch, Witherbark, and Revantusk tribes, and use a portion essence gathered from four different loa to summon Shadra back into the world.”

“Oh my, dat is quite a journey! But I did not think there were loa in the Hinterlands.”

“There aren’t any, yet. But I have been communicating with the loa of the Amani, and it seems the Amani have been mistreating them. I will open a portal for you to travel to the Hinterlands, where you will find the Vilebranch are soon to destroy the Revantusk village. THIS MUST NOT HAPPEN. You must convince the Vilebranch and Revantusk to join you and your tribe.”

“Only then will you be able to withstand the dwarven assault against Jintha’alor long enough for myself, Nalorakk, Har’koa, Akil’zon, Halazzi, and Jan’alai to arrive and join battle. Jintha’alor MUST not fall if you are to have your Shadra back.”

A portal opens. Ojin’ba steps through the portal.

“Quetz’lun! You’ve arrived! …and I’ve done it! I’ve slain the Vilebranch leader myself and called upon those loyal to Shadra and the loa to join me in driving the dwarves from the Hinterlands! ALL heeded my words and ceased battle. I have combined our tribes into a single tribe: the Witherbranch. Even the Revantusk. There is only one tribe now, and it is under MY rule.”

“You’ve done well! Akil’zon, Jan’alai, and Jan’alai’s flock carry blood elves and trolls to assault the gryphon riders, Nalorakk, Halazzi, and myself will lead your tribe in assaulting their primary fortress, and Har’koa and her followers prevent reinforcements from arriving. The dwarves will be driven from this land!”

“Yes, but we shall SPARE those who surrender!” said Ojin’ba.

“Perhaps. Akil’zon is working to sway many of their gryphons to OUR side. When that happens, many may simply give up! They would be easy prey… but I cannot see one future as being superior to another.”

“Well, I can. We will show mercy to all who surrender. Through our Alteraci allies, we will contact the humans of Hearthglen and arrange for all prisoners to be extradited to their custody.”

Note: the Shadowpine trolls have followed Amani loa out of Quel’thalas. The Shadowpine are devoted to Halazzi & Jan’alai, and the tribe has been absorbed into the Bloodthorn. The Mossflayer’s have stayed at their home of Zul’Mashar, but have joined the Syndicate nation of Alterac/Shadralar. They continue to worship Quetz’lun.

The Syndicate Atal’ai have a northern and southern governance council and act as two separately allied nations:

• The nation of Alterac (as the humans call it) or Shadralar (as the trolls call it)
    • Governed by the Council of Feathers (Akil’zon’s eagles serve as messengers)
      • Ojin’ba
      • Nicholas Grond
      • Darbel Montrose
      • Geb’nir
      • The loa: Har’koa, Nalorakk, Akil’zon, Shadra
    • Capital City
      • Alterac City
        • think of a Stormwind with troll watch towers
        • Sewer system
        • mixed troll & human culture
  • The nation of Kundralar (land of new beginnings)
    • Governed by the Council of Thorns
      • Vosh’gajin
      • Nezkon
      • Korrek (former Firetree elder)
      • Kai’ju (leader of the Mist Lurkers)
      • Vanessa VanCleef
      • The loa: Quetz’lun, Halazzi, Jan’alai, Mahamba, & Pogeyan
    • Capital City
      • Quetz’lun’alor
        • think of Venice
        • mixed troll & human culture
        • Sunken Temple and surroundings now no longer sunken
        • Aquaducts like in Zul’Drak spread water from the Temple to Netherguard Keep and surrounding farmlands
        • Kinda like Dazar’alor only everything is close by :slight_smile:

Geography

• Alterac Mountains
    • Alterac City
      • Nicholas Grond
      • Darbel Montrose
      • Alteraci humans
      • Human immigrants
      • Plague of undeath survivors (those who disdain the tyranny and zeal of the Brotherhood of the Light)
      • Har’koa
      • Geb’nir
      • Winterax ice trolls
    • Strahnbrad
      • Humans & trolls farming, hunting
    • Uplands
      • Humans & trolls farming, fishing
  • Hinterlands
    • Tal’Shadra (Seradane renamed)
      • Shadra (often webbed on the large tree)
      • Witherbranch forest trolls (mostly the relocated former Witherbark)
    • Shadra’alor
      • Shadra (at times)
      • Witherbranch forest trolls
    • Jintha’alor
      • Ojin’ba
      • Nalorakk
    • Hir’watha
    • Zul’alor (Altar of Zul)
    • Danil’watha (new village at the site of the old Quel’Danil lodge)
    • Shaol’watha
      • Witherbranch trolls
    • Gral’watha (rename of Raventusk village)
      • Witherbranch trolls
    • Agol’watha
      • Witherbranch trolls
    • Stormfeather outpost
      • Destroyed
    • Akil’zon’alor (Aerie Peak renamed)
      • Akil’zon
      • Witherbranch trolls (mostly former Revantusk)
      • Gryphons
  • Eastern Plaguelands
    • Zul’Mashar (the Mossflayer’s have stayed here but joined the nation of Alterac/Shadralar)
  • Black Morass
    • Quetz’lun’alor (Temple of Quetz’lun) aka Risen Temple
      • Quetz’lun (inside & top of the temple)
      • Mahamba (city canals)
      • Vosh’gajin
      • Nezkon
      • Bloodthorn trolls
    • Jang’watha (Village of the Protectors) (Marshtide Watch renamed and rebuilt)
      • Korrek (former Firetree elder)
      • Bloodthorn trolls
      • Chromatic drake survivors
    • Alarion’watha (Village of the Guardians) (Stonard renamed)
      • Kai’ju (leader of the Mist Lurkers)
      • Mist Lurker elementals
      • Bloodthorn trolls
    • Tal’Halazzi (Misty Valley renamed, enclave built)
      • Halazzi
      • Shadowpine trolls (now a part of the Bloodthorn tribe)
      • Lynx
    • Tal’Pogeyan (Okril’lon Hold renamed)
      • Bloodthorn trolls
      • Pogeyan, the mountain lion loa lives here (strong fire theme)
    • Netherguard Keep
      • Stormwind deserters
      • Westfall immigrants
      • Vanessa VanCleef
      • Jan’alai
      • Dragonhawks
      • Farms in surrounding area
      • Elemental Mist Lurkers
        • Busy terraforming the blasted lands & swamp of sorrows into a unified black morass
        • These elementals conjure mists to protect the land from spies and invaders
        • Terraforming areas around Netherguard Keep into fertile farm lands
        • Halazzi enjoys hunting in the mists :slight_smile:
1 Like