The state of flying is really disappointing for new players

I managed to get a friend to play who used to hate WoW, so I decided we go at their pace. We’re leveling new toons in the (funnelled) expansion WFA.

He’s 25 and can’t wait to fly now I have to tell him that there’s actually a meta achievement to be able to fly, and explain that this is basically “finish all the content in WFA” which there is no incentive to do once you hit level 60.

So basically I’m going to be telling him that he can’t fly till 60 and then it will be dragon riding not classic flying.

Would it really break the game if new players were allowed a 60% flying mount in BFA at 30?

42 Likes

Methinks this is actually made up, because it’s all too perfect.

22 Likes

i could have sworn they were adding flying for everyone in BfA when DF released, but maybe i’m misremembering. either way it needs to happen, especially if they plan on keeping BfA as the “new player” experience

7 Likes

You can get 150% flying at level 30 and 310% at level 40….:woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

Neh they opened Legion flight in SL but BfA still requires pathfinder.

4 Likes

They made it so you don’t have to do the metas to fly

what? its not suspicious at all that a totally new player is so disappointed by not being able to fly that they literally quit wow due to op telling them how much better wow is with it. Totally doesn’t give those lopsided infomercial vibes where someone can’t perform a basic task a 5 yr old has no trouble with.

11 Likes

No they didn’t. BFA is still locked behind pathfinder.

Pretty sure SLands is locked behind it too. But not 100%

9 Likes

Really?
Fly your friend on a two person mount

8 Likes

Bfa not allowing flying unless you have pathfinder is truly one of the worst decisions blizzard has made. Especially since they force new players through bfa.

25 Likes

Yep found out the hard way. Quest pops up to send me back to Stormwind to ‘learn how to fly’. Then I go back to questing and no, I cannot fly there.

7 Likes

You know you can just… Recommend a different timeline to level in at 30?

Granted I see your point. I grinded Pathfinder in all those xpacs but I don’t see the value in gating it after that content is no longer relevant.

At the same time, you gotta work with what you have. Change expansions.

lmao i cannot imagine how bad that feels for new players. how incredibly tone deaf

9 Likes

Not if you’re a new player. Can’t even do chromie time dude.

21 Likes

What really?? I mean I knew it was a new “starter zone” but I just opened and took the portal to Org and started Chromie Time for alts. Are new accounts not able to do that?

2 Likes

I doubt it.

I can’t get friends to come back as they would be forced through bfa that doesn’t have flying. They quit because Blizzard kept gatekeeping flying and refuse to bother with Dragonflight at all due to that. They were sick of reunlocking the same feature over and over again.

9 Likes

no, new players are forced through BfA their first time. just like the starting island

4 Likes

Maybe to you, however, if you play any game, there are always things that must be done in order to acquire things, just saying. This game used to be so much of a grind, and now it’s not as bad. One example is when the Wrath of the Lich King was CURRENT CONTENT, there was a very long quest chain just to get to neutral with the Sons of Hodir, so the daily quests could be done for the shoulder enchantments. There are many more examples, however, it’s not even worth listing a single one more, since you obviously have an agenda, and it wouldn’t even matter to you.

1 Like

Oh wow that’s awful.

11 Likes

Bro what? Lol well :poop:, I see the point then.

Like I said, I don’t see the value in gatekeeping flying in content that’s no longer current. I want this game to be healthy, doing this to new players feels unnecessarily oppressive.

Im sure a lot of us grinded out pathfinder but that content is over and done with. Open it up.

5 Likes