The Slippery Slope of Changes

This. This right here.

#1 is from playing classic and talking to tbc supporters throughout my time playing on classic benediction server from day1

#2 is from lvling my warlock alt since blizcon online and talking to multiple new players that came back for tbc.

It’s a patently absurd statement to make. #NoChanges objectively cannot make the game worse. By the very definitions of the words being used, it is literally impossible.

Add onto that, we got changes. We, strictly speaking, did not have #NoChanges. To argue that the game was somehow made worse by people arguing it shouldn’t be changed at all is utterly ridiculous.

You can then add that a last but smaller minority are waiting for prepatch as option #3.

But the Bulk of TBC fans started with classic as that was the prep for us.

Shhhhhhh. I’m having fun here.

2 Likes

The man was an original designer of the game.

1 Like

Worse is a comparative statement. Worse than what? If you mean worse than the original in 2008, well that’s debatable given all the changes that have happened exterior to the game in the last decade and a half. If you mean worse than #somechanges, well that’s also certainly debatable since in many people’s view some of the changes have been beneficial.

Now you’re arguing something else entirely, but just as speciously.

And as a final note: Paid boosts existed in Wrath. They effectively existed in TBC too if you were creative enough to game the system a little. The sky isn’t falling. In fact, it’s not even raining. If at some point it looks like it is, we can certainly have that conversation then. All these histrionics about the slippery slope to certain doom are silly at best

And a very disgruntled former employee who’s opinions should be taken with a grande grain of salt.

1 Like

That doesn’t matter to retail players. They aren’t interested in an authentic Classic experience, TBC or otherwise.

4 Likes

The man is a disgruntled developer who happen to be on the development team of the original.

Let me restate that. . TEAM.

He was not the sole developer or designer. He was a cog in the wheel who has used the classic wow situation to garner eyeballs from people who believe in alternative facts.

Are all his points invalid? No, I am not saying that. But to accept his word completely without question is upon you.

He is an untrustworthy source on the matter.

4 Likes

Well said.

1 Like

Except you’re wrong because again, Classic sucks balls so saying “the bulk of TBC fans” is untrue. We enjoyed TBC not classic.

1 Like

Anyone with half a brain knows if you wanted tbc you needed to support classic to ensure you get tbc and at the same time prep for tbc throughout the life of classic…

Ive been prepping for tbc since day1 classic.

1 Like

I don’t see the big deal with little changes. All that matters is that the TBC “sandbox” is accurately represented in the overall and I think everyone will be happy to play it over the obviously unreliable options available otherwise (#rememberFelmyst).

Classic in general was enjoyed. It succeeded overall despite it’s little modifications. The scope of the changes in TBC are a fair bit further reaching but they are in good spirit with the betterment of the expansion, not the ruining of it.

Now the boost? That is bad tbh. I can’t find anything good to say about that.

4 Likes

“Play this game that you don’t enjoy to play the next part which is good”

Yeah no. I’ll wait for the good part. I enjoyed TBC and I’ll play TBC.

2 Likes

Great, so to continue to point out how insane all these requests are…

Transmog when? I need to play dress up on my barbie doll belf paladin. #SomeChanges

Unless you can wipe out the entire player bases memories for the past 15 years and delete all information on wow from the internet you are never going to be able to get an Authentic Classic experience. I too wanted something like this when I first started playing Classic. I quickly realized that wasn’t going to happen. However, I am still pretty happy with how most things turned out.

4 Likes

A fair point, but dismissing the OP’s entire post because he uttered that person’s name is pretty unfair, no?

Kevin Jordan, no matter your views on him, can be right about something. If you have a reason as to why he isn’t, feel free to present it rather than dismissing him because he’s just a “disgruntled developer.”

There aren’t any problems with good changes. The issue is that little changes, good or bad, invite more, and when left to Blizzard specifically, the changes will often be significant and to the detriment of the game.

Just look at boosts. Boosts exist because the player base made it abundantly clear they would tolerate changes and retail features. Throughout Classic, Blizzard pushed the limits further and further. Bug fixes here. Textures there. Just an “exploit” in a BG being removed. Then it starts affecting the meta.

BG numbers removed from queues. Hunters benefitting from the AP from world buffs. Map changes to Warsong Gulch, Arathi Basin, Alterac Valley. It demonstrably progresses down “the slippery slope,” increasing in its severity.

Tokens are not a stretch at this point. Unlimited paid boosts in the future aren’t off the table, either. Look at what Blizzard’s version of “no changes” got us. Now imagine “some changes,” and imagine what that becomes next.

Nonsense. You can provide the game unaltered, which provides the authentic experience just fine on its own.

Players’ memories is not a change to the game. See: Chess.

No, it’s not. Considering his point is predicated on a personality that’s sole cause of the last few years has been to only stir up trouble without any real resolution or consideration for all sides.

But, hey, that’s me.

And at this point I have nothing to prove to you. I will dismiss a post starting with said disgruntled employee as a source of truth AND point out the shaky ground the foundation of said post is built upon, thank you.

1 Like

This I disagree with, I honestly believe that the boosts was not a choice made by the player base. This is a change made solely by Blizzard, specifically Holly Longdale.

She is the type of person that forces things that no one wants into something just because she knows some people will use it and there is money that can be made.

3 Likes

Ah yes because having 15 years of game knowledge in no way shape or form altered how the player base played the game and therefore altered their experience.

Chess is a perfect example of how player memories to effect the game. A player starting out is going to have a vastly different experience playing it than a master. We are talking about experiences here not game mechanics.

3 Likes