The Slippery Slope of Changes

Kevin Jordan is right.

Pandora’s Box has been opened. Those extra features that were not in TBC should not be in TBC. Or Legacy servers for that matter.

Character Boost should have been Recruit a friend XP boost, not a full fledged character boost.

Hopefully we can trust in the Classic team to make the right decisions and not add in retail garbage features that lead to the decline of the game. It wasn’t any one specific feature but the culmination of many features that many are asking for in this Classic TBC forum.

27 Likes

No one wants to hear this, however, slippery slope arguments are almost invariably logical fallacies.

14 Likes

Kevin Joran is a really strange guy who attacks Blizz every couple years for views because he’s still upset about getting the boot 10 years later.

2 Likes

I listened to that interview and although I agree with him on some levels, he came off as a bit arrogant by saying some decisions are bad because they were not made by game designers. It just seemed like he was not open to much feedback and he thinks his original creation is perfect with no flaws, which is debatable.

4 Likes

Not really. The slippery slope is demonstrable.

#nochanges in Classic was riddled with changes here and there. Every single change along the way, we pointed out the slippery slope, and every time apologists like yourself came in and said that’s just a fallacy.

TBC is now, as per Blizzard’s own words, #somechanges, with paid character boosts, pre-patch leveling of Blood Elves and Draenei, Drums changes yet to be announced in detail, and likely a lot more.

To say that it’s a fallacy at this point is to deny reality. Just admit you like the changes and stop gaslighting people.

22 Likes

#NoChanges in Classic ACTIVELY made the game worse. Blizzard should have nerfed dungeon boosts and dungeon grinding into the ground, introduced the AOE caps to stop bots, killed World Buff Meta, got rid of spell batching and Melee Leeway… but they couldn’t because sweaty nerds called for #NoChanges.

Every change Blizzard made in Classic actually made the game better. Layering, for example, made it so it was actually possible to play the game and level professions at launch. Cataclysm-styled raid frames are another great change.

19 Likes

It’s fun to see people get upset when Blizzard takes the wind out of their exlpoit sails.

2 Likes

We never got #nochanges, so you can’t even begin to make that argument without sounding like a fool.

Actually, even if we DID get #nochanges, you’d still sound like a fool since the game can’t be made worse if it doesn’t change. It would, by definition, be exactly the same quality.

5 Likes

The only thing about the #somechanges that you listed which is bad is the boost. I’m still upset about it and I still believe it’s going to be pushed from only 1 per account to as many as you want at phase 3.

1 Like

That’s a matter of opinion, and not something I really want to delve into in this thread. The slippery slope exists. That’s all I’m trying to point out.

You’re clearly being deliberately ignorant
To say

the game can’t be made worse if it doesn’t change

is pretty much without question

2 Likes

I mean it is an informal fallacy type, and what is actually logically improper is the use of some non-sequitur somewhere in the chain. However, in the case of this thread? Yeah, most likely given so little is used to justify it.

This isn’t the same thing as:

The failure of logic comes from the assumption that with Changes X, Y, and Z, we will surely end up at Conclusion A, but we don’t actually show how we go from Changes to Conclusion, we just assume it.

One change doesn’t necessarily imply, or cause, or lead to another change in a general sense. A change in one facet of the game doesn’t imply, cause, or lead to another change in a different facet of the game.

The standard fare of posts about changes almost always jumps the shark and ends up with absurdities like DKs, Vulpera, Covenants, etc being tossed in just because. There’s also the vague hand waving that we’re approaching some critical threshold that is “Retail” and that crossing that threshold is Bad™.

It isn’t gas lighting to call out the doom saying, which is what most of this is. We understand a lot of folks want pure recreations with a few changes as possible; however, that isn’t the majority sway any longer given the #somechanges we’re getting in TBC. I fully expect some modern bells and whistles tossed our way for TBC Classic, WotLK Classic, etc. This isn’t necessarily what you want, but it also isn’t necessarily going to be the doom of Classic, and it also doesn’t mean you didn’t get Classic.

https://youtu.be/N-QtJry1yII?t=39

3 Likes

I understand the fallacy. However, boosts are Conclusion A. It was argued back before Classic even launched that the changes would lead to retail garbage such as boosts.

They are here, so the slippery slope is real. It played out exactly how all the “fallacious” arguments said it would.

5 Likes

Boosts are here because of Holly Longdale. Simple as that.

2 Likes

Boosting for TBC is a bad thing because what blizzard fails to understand is the Majority of TBC supporters

#1 started in day1 classic (myself) because we knew if we got classic we got tbc.

#2 the rest of the tbc supporters started since blizcononline official announcement.

You have absolutely nothing to back up any of that

3 Likes

Both of those are false.

A lot of TBC supporters are waiting until TBC pre-patch because.

A.) They want to level a Blood Elf or Draenai.

B.) Classic sucks balls and TBC is basically a different game.

9 Likes

Neither of which require boosts.

2 Likes

I agree with this 100% but the point I was disagreeing with them on is how both of those options is untrue.

Lost the point in the first two words.

2 Likes