The Silver Dagger

The night’s were often harder for Max. He was still well aware of the stigma that Worgen carry, wild animals with no humanity left in them. Feral and dangerous. He often found himself far from civilization, not because he feared people. He did not want to hurt anyone.

The worst times were when the Moon was full. The sight of Elune’s beautiful face would send him into a frenzy. Howling and slavering in a state of mind that knew no mercy. Every living thing in his path would flee or die. Not just rabbits and squirrels either. He was strong and lethal, slipping through the forest at a speed that allowed him to run down most. In the time it took for the Moon to go from horizon to horizon, he would lay waste all who could not flee from his long fangs and bloody claws.

During the day, he could relax, and life was a boring normal routine he followed with an almost fanatical dedication. He gathered flowers and ground them into pigments to make ink. Then with a steady hand and a gift for beautiful calligraphy, he made scrolls of magic. He never kept them very long, as those who bought his scrolls came back time and time again.

The work was a steady influence for him and he found it easy to forget the time of the month. If he was not reminded of it by some innocent comment made by one of his customers, it was certain he would not remember the risk of staying in town when the Moon showed her full face to the night. Finally he decided to make calendars, putting them up in his workshop and marking days off as he went about his daily routine. To his surprise, the calendars sold well and he found himself making them month by month and offering them at a special discount to those who bought his scrolls as well.

A few days from the Full Moon phase, he would close up shop and hang up a sign that simply read, “Gone to gather herbs for ink”. Then he would be off, seeking the deepest part of the forests to gather herbs until the night of the Full Moon. Often it took him a few days to gather all the herbs he needed. The time away from his shop in Stormwind made it safer for the citizens. But sooner or later, he would find himself too close to civilization. He prayed to all the Gods, he would not be caught. They would surely kill him if he ended up hurting one of the innocent citizens in Stormwind, or even the outlying communities. Self preservation is the strongest of all the instincts.

Some time right after his moving to Stormwind, he began increasing his magic training, and found the power it gave him almost intoxicating. Even as he sought more power, in the back of his mind it was for his own survival he did this. When he began seeking the knowledge of the warlocks, they hushed his curious questions and took him aside. If he wished their knowledge, he would need to become one of them.

It was not an easy decision to make. Demons were terrible creatures. They lied, they took delight in torture and they were not easy to subdue in the first place. But once tamed they were loyal companions. After much deliberation and a promise from the Masters, to help him through the training, Max made the worst decision he had ever made in his life.

The day he walked into the coven in the basement of the Slaughtered Lamb, was the day that changed his life forever. He learned many things over the course of a month, taking time to leave them with the excuse he needed to practice. The Masters warned him if he left their training incomplete, he would be unable to handle the demons he summoned. He assured them he would return, he only needed to gather more herbs to keep his business solvent. They taught him how to summon an Imp as a permanent companion, and reluctantly agreed.

Little was Maxwell to know, that the Imp would be his savior and his confidant, and also his doom. Fog’arel learned very quickly how to manipulate this naive wolfman. The Imp loved it when the Moon turned full and the Master became a vicious predator, slaughtering all in his path. Bathing in the blood shed and encouraging his Master to go after larger game. Of course, at first the ravaging wolf did not understand the tiny Imp who followed after him and even attempted to kill it. To his great frustration, the Imp proved impossible to catch.

After three days of howling at the Moon at night and picking herbs during the day, an exhausted Maxwell returned to the Slaughtered Lamb to renew his studies. To his utter chagrin, the tiny Imp bragged to all who would listen about how ruthless and deadly his Master had become. Max protested vehemently. “I am no monster! I kill to survive!”

His protests were largely ignored, as was the Imp’s bragging. Maz was relieved that they seemed to pay it no mind. Imp’s were notorious for bragging, and every warlock fought to survive. It was so common that none questioned it. For some reason, this bothered Max a lot. Perhaps it had been a mistake to do this…

“You have managed to increase your skills immensely, Maxwell. If you continue in this field of study, surely you will master it with much success. I congratulate you on so thoroughly taming your Imp it brags about you. Be aware, however, all demons will lie to you and to anyone else. They take great delight in scheming for the upper hand. You must always be aware of their words and take them with a grain of salt. Lest they turn the tables on you and you become their slave.” Master Hannwell was stern even as he praised Maxwell.

“I will keep that in mind, Master Hannwell. I must get back to my shop and work on my scrolls, I have neglected it too long and I don’t want to lose customers.” Max replied. He was afraid if the Masters knew of his dire transformation and difficulty controlling it, they would stop training him. After all, what could be worse than a rampant direwolf rampaging the countryside? A warlock who could store his soul in a phylactory and never die? The very thought of it made Max question his own sanity. But it was his plan, and it was the only way he thought he could survive.

2 Likes

The night was balmy in the jungles of Stranglethorn. Evelyn Thornhaven was sleeping on a bed of furs she had collected in her work. Cured and soft, the furs made a comfy bed in her small tent. Near the opening to the tent, alert and aware of all the night sounds, her wolf Ebony sniffed the air and growled low in his throat.

“Hush, now. Those who stalk the night will hear you.” Evelyn chided him softly. It was not often the black wolf would warn her of danger, and for the most part it was usually some wandering wolf or bear come looking for midnight snacks. It did make her a bit nervous, as she thought about it. This far south, it was more likely to be some jungle animal. She had hunted here long enough to know the big cats prowled at night, and they were indeed dangerous.

Ebony growled again, ignoring his Master’s command and then slunk off into the forest. Evelyn sat up, grumbling as she struggled to pull her boots on. “Alright, wait fer me, silly wolf. It’s probably a tiger or panther. Best to leave them be. I don’t like shooting in the dark, I might hit some innocent nearby.”

The huntress was always cautious in her hunting. It would be terrible to shoot at some animal and hit a fellow hunter. Even worse if it was one of those jungle trolls who would attack her on sight. She had learned to avoid their Temple ruins, not wanting to antagonize them.

The soft breeze played with her hair as she walked into the night in the general direction her wolf had taken. “Ebony, where are ye?” she called softly. Only crickets and frogs answered. The fact he had gone silent made her nervous. He was not likely to abandon her, but he might circle the camp and come back. There was precious little starlight filtering down through the trees, and the moon on the rise was her only hope of seeing anything beyond the camp clearing.

Suddenly the black wolf was beside her, growling now with some urgency as he stood his ground. Bristling with every hair standing on his back, he faced the North with his head low. This was a bad sign. Whatever it was, had Ebony on high alert, and was likely headed this way. If it was an animal, it had stopped in the dense cover of brush and trees surrounding the camp.

Evelyn had her trusty dwarven hand cannon in her hands and tried to make out any shape in the bushes ahead. Several tense moments came and went, with Ebony still warning whatever it was with his vicious growling.

There was a shape now moving in the bushes and Evelyn could just barely make it out. The moon was now beginning to clear the trees in the east and would soon bathe the clearing with pristine moonlight. The huntress felt her own hair on the back of her neck rising, as the creature lifted its head and howled at the moon as it rose. It was a call that made Ebony echo in response.

To her horror, the creature turned its golden eyes to face her and stalked forward. A wolf? No, it was not a wolf. Something far worse, a feral Worgen. “Stop! Or I will fill ye with lead!” She shouted.

The Worgen did stop, as it sniffed the air and hesitated. If not for the now very threatening growling coming from Ebony, he might have tried rushing the woman. Instead, he turned his attention to the sound of a tiger alerted to the commotion and invading the clearing.

The tiger was not shy, or at least it did not seem to care about the woman and the wolf. It went right for the Worgen in a vicious attack that sent fur flying. For a few tense moments, it appeared the tiger was winning. Evelyn was minded to run to the shelter of the nearby Nessingwary encampment. It was not far, and no doubt they heard the commotion as well.

“Come on Ebony, let’s get out of here and let those two fight it out.” She grabbed his collar and pulled him back to the road. “We can get our tent later…” she reasoned as she ran as fast as she could to the larger hunter’s camp. She had no idea if the Worgen would chase her, but it scared her enough to send her to those who had more experience in the jungle.

2 Likes

The Worgen was strong and had killed the tiger by the time the woman and her growling companion had left. Part of him was glad, the Moon’s influence on him now was nearing berzerker status. He roared with hunger and tore the carcass of the tiger to shreds as he ate. Covered in blood, and wounded, but not severely, he ran off towards the South, away from the Nesingwary camp. For the most part, he instinctively avoided light and the sound of angry voices.

By the time the Moon had set many hours later, he lay exhausted in his own meager tent. He licked his wounds clean and bandaged them before succumbing to sleep. It was still hours before dawn and he slept soundly.

The sun warmed the tent and he heard the call of raptors as they hunted. The low growl of a panther finally urged him to crawl free of his blankets. True to the pact that had been made long ago, Max’s Felguard stood by.

“The shadows have fled. Do not waste my time, lesser creature.” The scowl on the demon’s face was more sarcasm than true intent.

“Hush Kraglot. I have fed enough the last three days. You must go back to the Nether, while I head to town. I have need of some council. The length of time I spend out here is getting out of hand. I almost attacked a woman last night. If not for the tiger, she would have died, along with her wolf.” Max sighed.

“She was easy prey…” the demon began.

“NO! I will not stoop that low! I need more control. It was not my fault the useless potion they gave me in Raven Hill only partially worked. This curse is more than the ordinary Worgen curse. Something else drives me…and I have no idea what it is. I must find out, before it is too late.” He ran his fingers through his dark hair.

Before he packed up his tent, Max swam in the river to cleanse his skin and clothing. He did not stay in the water long, as the frenzy fish could be attracted to the blood on his clothing. It took him only an hour to gather his herbs and pack the side car of his motorcycle with bags. He would have plenty to grind up for ink, and he needed to catch up on his work.

1 Like

Jeffrey Maxim the Bard had been fishing in the early morning when he heard something nearby. The jungle was a great place to find the fish he sold to the goblins in Booty Bay. They paid him to do their dirty work as well. His skills at slinking through the Jungle in the dead of night were almost uncanny.

He set his pole aside and faded into the tangle of vines and ferns, the shadows hiding him. The large black wolf, that trotted along the road ahead of it’s master stopped and looked right at Jeff as if he could see him clearly. So much for hiding! Jeff chuckled softly and decided the hunter would not shoot him if he was open and friendly.

“Ahoy! ‘Tis early for a ride. Where ye headin’?” he called cheerfully.

Evelyn Thornhaven stopped her grey gelding and smiled. “Just headin’ fer the Bay ta sell me wares. I be thinkin’ if I get ta the Salty Sailor before seven, I might get a good breakfast. The cooks there be the best!”

The black wolf sniffed at the man and wagged his tail. It was not the one that had almost attacked his Master the night before. This one smelled of fish, not blood.

“I see Ebony has given his approval. If ye be headin’ ta the Bay, company is always appreciated. Gives them jungle trolls a bit of hesitation when there is a group.” Evelyn smiled.

“The name is Jeffrey Maxim, at yer service, M’Lady. Let me pack up my string of fish and get my horse. Breakfast sounds lovely and the company will be welcome. Not often an old wolfman like me gets invited by such a pretty lady.”

The Kul Tiran laughed good naturedly. “Ye got a silver tongue there, Mr. Maxim. I be Evelyn Thornhaven, and the wolf is Ebony. I name all my animals, even my horse, Smokey!” She patted the gelding’s neck and waited as Jeff got his things together.

All the way to the rowdy town of Booty Bay, Evelyn and Jeff struck up a friendly bit of tale telling. He told her of hearing a ravenous beast driving all the critters of the jungle crazy the last few days. It had made him wary of sleeping in the jungle. He only went out during the day, spending his nights at Fort Livingston.

It was then she shared the story of her scare the night before, and told him it was a feral Worgen that nearly attacked her. He was shocked and told her they should report it to Stormwind, so the poor beast could be found and helped, or in the case of it being rabid, maybe put out of it’s misery.

Reluctantly, Evelyn agreed. “I am not sure it was rabid. It did not attack me or Ebony. I am more inclined to think it hesitated and meant not to attack me, but the tiger that had been nearing the camp instead.” she sighed. “I ran like a scared rabbit. Went right to the Nesingwary camp, where I had staked out Smokey so he would be safe. It’s where I should have camped, but I like to be alone so I can sleep peaceably. That was the first time I regretted my sleeping arrangements. I will stay in a larger camp from now on.”