The Server balance problem, and why it will never be fixed in one paragraph

So if I join late…. I shouldn’t be allowed to play with my friends?

Thanks

Faction balance locks will never work for WoW.

Period. It prevents people from playing the game with their friends.

It forces guilds to split up.

It splits communities and prevents anyone knew from joining.

1 Like

It literally does none of the above but cool story

So if my friend happens to be on a faction locked server playing the majority faction - how exactly am I supposed to join them?

If I decide l to take a break from WoW and come back to a guild that xfered to a realm that is now faction locked, how am I supposed to join them?

If I find an alliance community that I really like… but they are on a majority alliance faction locked ream, how am I supposed to join them?

It literally does all those things.

You pay to xfer.

You pay to xfer

You pay to xfer

Free xfers are FREEEEEEEE. Thus they should also have some drawback. The drawback being you have a smaller window and greater restrictions. If you miss the window with the rest of your guild/community/erp harem whatever then you now have to pay. The world doesn’t end. you just have to shell out $25 like you would have had to do otherwise.

Yea I misunderstood you.
I thought you were talking about only allowing xfers for one side.

My bad.

1 Like

Fair enough. I still think they could control faction transfers more but I agree that giving people no way at all to join their friends could potentially be more harmful than good. I remember when Faerlina was completely locked for like 6 months during Classic and it was kind of a pain. Even if a friend wanted to roll a brand new character they couldn’t unless they had a character there already which was awkward at times… But again… if you’re offering free xfers you’re trading cost for freedom of choice and Blizzard should have leveraged that more…

And it’s not like that’s some crazy new idea I’m coming up with… its literally what they’ve always done in the past so I’m just completely at a loss as to why they chose to just allow free xfers anywhere this time…

The whole notion of connecting servers to let people migrate at will sounds like the kind of thing that would be great for a new game bearing the spirit (not the letter) of old school WoW, assuming that as much as possible is done to anticipate what draws players to different teams/factions, otherwise at-will transfers risk coming off like a stop-gap.

BC Classic obviously misses that mark because Blood Elves are a basically human character that meshes with (rather than competes) with the distinctive Horde aesthetic. They look more human than the actual humans (putting aside WoW-isms like everyone having the hands of Andre the Giant.) Then there’s all the in-game and out of game reasons that go into Horde being so wildly favored in BC Classic.

A more developer-centric take on achieving team balance could be to fragment each server into a number of layers/instances to seamlessly move players in and out of for auto-balance purposes. The hypothesis being that even if your team on a server is outnumbered, the layer system will group you together to ensure that there’s an even head-count on your immediate layer/instance. Guild Wars 2 breaks its servers into instances sort of like this, though not for PVP purposes. It pretty much guarantees that if players are in a zone, you will find them.

Also, players sorting into their own teams seems to work well for games like Rust or ARK: Survival Evolved, putting aside mega-tribes/clans single handedly dominating entire server clusters. A lot of that is down to ARK having absolutely no limiters to how far you can scale your available resources, it freely facilitates monopolies that would make Rockefeller and Disney envious.

While I think you’re right that they should have implemented it that way, they’re looking at the paid transfers which are all going the other way.

If they just link groups/dungeons/raids and the LFG chats across realms would that alleviate a bunch of problems so people could find stuff to do even if they were on a dead-ish server?

1 Like

Or not play.

The vast majority of people don’t want to be the minority faction. Why would you pay a company to have a less enjoyable experience that you could have if you were in the majority?

Then what’s the point of PvP servers?

1 Like

That are made of metal and transform into cassette tapes?

I guess I personally separate the visual aspects of the game and my ability to play it into two different categories.

I literally can’t play the game when I want to due to the population issues. I play PVE on an 80/20 server (I am in the underrepresented faction). If giving me and my guild the option to transfer to a server with a larger population so we can have a larger pool of players, that would solve my problem.

I personally don’t care how they do it. I want to be able to find a group whenever I want for the dungeon that I want. Megaservers have this.

This is what most people want. I get that there are people who want that small town, community focused feel. That feeling where, even if you don’t know everybody personally, you at least are familiar with them. However, that takes time. Time that most people don’t have. The majority of players just want to log in after work and play the game.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.