The "Scarab Mount Coalition" is sad

So there’s another post on this, and I don’t usually make topics. In fact I hardly ever make topics.

I joined Classic WoW for the community including the server community so that’s why I find this sad. I respect(ed) a lot of the people in this coalition as well. I’m sure I will continue to respect some on an individual level.

I was informed of this coalition a month ago and I talked to some in my guild about it and none of us want Scarab Lord so it’s like, well we can still kill alliance, it’s all good.

I guess I didn’t really think of what happened which is many on the server feeling betrayed and the obvious same faction toxicity that will follow this. I was in a group and talked to several who were pretty disappointed that their PVP ranking partners, who they consider friends, would just sit there and watch them die.

Two of my guild members were really upset that they could be treated poorly by people they consider friends “I know those guys, I’ll talk to them” was met with obvious mockery in-game actions for no real reason.

Over what? One person in the guild getting a mount and a title. I guess you need to support your guild to the end? I have spoken to people in this coalition who do not trust it, and clearly feel like what they are doing is wrong, but they go along with it because they are in good guilds for the most part and have friends in these guilds.

The typical response is either nothing or to laugh and make a bunch of bad jokes and basically power trip and otherwise not respond. I’m sure it also involves posting more stupid jokes in their own discord while these people feel powerful and superior because they are part of some video game “in crowd”?

Hopefully the server can recover but I’m doubtful. Any of that anti-dispelling and caring about each other is gone (because people who feel betrayed simply will not care about others on their faction anymore).

For those who hop from server to server I know you don’t care. For those who like Earthfury it’s sad though.

16 Likes

Aren’t most of the guilds in the coalition server transfers anyway? But ya, what you say is accurate.

Yes, most of the horde guilds are from the “recent” big wave of transfers (outside of one guild), most of the alliance guilds have been here longer. I think the ally guilds saw what looked like a good opportunity and took it. I know of one Ally guild who dropped out for an unknown reason.

I’m not surprised by any of this, just disappointed.

3 Likes

These guilds chose to betray their own faction for 30 pieces of scarab lord. It is to be expected from them however since they are rootless and do not consider this server a home. What is actually worse however is the native guilds that also chose to partake in this. A stranger betraying you does not feel as bad as someone you know betraying you. But hey at least they get cool mounts !

6 Likes

Yeah, I expect the fallout to be more far reaching than most people think. Don’t be surprised if you see more people breaking brackets in pvp and mass dispels in booty bay. Someone screwed the pooch and we will all have to pay for it.

2 Likes

It is sad. And disappointing.

I’ve played every expansion - thru all the good and the bad - but nothing has felt as awful as this “event”. The Alliance guilds are more fragmented than you say, but it doesn’t really matter.

Thanks for this post and your words, Mootoo. I wish you well.

3 Likes

What exactly is this coalition? I’ve heard it mentioned, but know nothing about it. Could anyone explain?

A group of horde and alliance guilds are working together to control Silithus. If you go out there and aren’t part of the club, members of your own faction will assist the other faction in finding, killing, and camping you.

I’m not particularly bothered by coordination between the factions. It’s having members of your own faction assisting the other in PvP that I have a problem with. It is literally cheating.

The funny thing is, our guild doesn’t care who gets scarab lord. We did that 15 years ago when it was new and have no interest in repeating the process. We don’t care who gets it. We are just looking to quest and have some PvP fun.

4 Likes

This is the problem. They have a weakaura Nice list and naughty list. The members of your own faction actually go on discord and call the other faction to kill you. Thats the problem. Its against ToS. Yet blizzard does nothing LOL.

5 Likes

Aside from it being antithetical to the game both in spirit and in terms of technicality. My suggestion would be to contact Blizzard about it (yes I know but still try) or better yet their suggestion to me was use the reinforcements among yourselves to break up this blockade. So I don’t know maybe contact your GM’s and try to collaborate with fellow guild’s to kill the member’s of the coalition just a thought. All I will say is that all I want to do is help members of my guild get their T.5 set for their Rogue and they are making that impossible.

Well, it’s been 5 days since I posted this, Silithus has mostly been emptied out and the raid is opening tomorrow night/on Wednesday. My opinion is still the same. I have been contacted by both horde and alliance privately who agree with me. This has fractured our server and created long-lasting same faction rivalries on both the horde and alliance side.

People will not forget simply because there is new content to raid. Anyone who thinks that everyone will forget is simply wrong.

I’m not even excited about the raid, the whole event was not Vanilla like. I would have preferred to wait 2 weeks if it meant not destroying the Earthfury server community. But… it’s not up to me. and I know that most people are happy that the gong is being rung tomorrow night. To me, the whole thing was not worth it.

4 Likes

We were made fun of and /spat on by fellow horde guilds, some of which we helped out in their raids - when we tried to fight back. It was quite a spectacle to see them hand in hand with alliance. Shameful is the first word that comes to mind but I do not believe the individuals of these guilds have a moral compass to allow the processing of the word.

3 Likes

We were met with resistance at every turn and yet we still prevailed. Not only did we prevail, we had people behind us cheering us on and fueling the grind. We were followed, camped, marked, disheartened and yet we still mustered up the strength to persevere.

When we marched thru Silithus with the Horde and Alliance at our back, cheering us on, we knew that this achievement was bigger than us. It was to heal the fractured relationship that was eating away at our community. We came together and we defeated the most organized and dedicated coalition built to destroy us and emerged victorious.

Mak’Gora

5 Likes

The MakGora success story is the best thing to come out of this. It did more to unite the server than the rest of it. I think we will be ok, but my feelings do not come from a new raid opening and forgetting. They come from the excitement people felt over the last days when one non-coalition member got the mount. I am not going to name any further names. Everyone should know who I’m talking about.

I have heard backstories from the coalition side and I will not discuss if they are true or not. It’s not relevant to this discussion. I will say that the other side for sure has a different take. However, this is not about them.

1. Guild wants Scarab Lord but are not on “the approved list”. They have someone who would like the mount going for it.
  2. Guild goes and kills Scarabs anyway but are killed by coalition alliance and griefed by other horde, a specific alliance member is sent to camp the future Scarab Lord over and over. The goal of this all is to make them go away.
  3. Guild calls on friends to help them out, but the battle is tough as it is difficult to compete with a few hundred people who have agreed to spend all of their free time in one zone, I’m sure including vacation time in some cases.
  4. A few days after doing this the fight starts getting easier, as the scarab parts are collected for most of those who are approved to be given the mount, so some of the pressure is off. More horde come to fight. and there may have been a guild in the coalition that decided they just wanted to kill alliance anyway which drives some alliance off, but at this point, this is a rumor from my information.
  5. Several “unsanctioned” horde and alliance guilds farm scarabs including some rogues who have an easier time at it due to MANY bugs being up as there are too many to just farm. These “unapproved” are all still killed, camped, and played with by their own faction if caught. The coalition discord has strongly worded posts about this all and mentions checking the discord for this very important information, to serve the cause. It reads like an old war flyer.
  6. Some sanctioned members secretly funnel scarab parts to the guild as they feel it is the right thing to do. They do things like take 80% and give it to their “leader” and take the rest and give it to the unsanctioned.
  7. As the pressure starts lifting more parts are farmed, and members of the alliance decide they want to see an unsanctioned scarab lord, so they help by using the neutral auction house to transfer the parts over.
  8. It is down to the wire. The gong is to be run. The horde guild that has chosen to have an unsanctioned scarab lord works hard to complete all of the quest chains within 10 hours.
  9. People from both horde and alliance guilds, sanctioned and unsanctioned come to help with protection for the future unsanctioned scarab lord. Alliance world chat is filled with an attempt to recruit alliance who want to kill horde who have “invaded Duskwood”. It is shut down by alliance who tell their faction to not join this raid, by doing so they are supporting the coalition. The protectors guard the site. Some of the coalition still slip in including level 1 alts, in an attempt to grief, but it does not matter.
  10. The quest chains are completed in just the amount of time. The horde guild RP walks to the gong, surrounded by fellow horde protecting them from most of the servers guilds. A call is put out by the coalition to stop them but it is too late and the new Scarab Lord is able to ring the gong, and get his mount.

I still do not agree with how this all played out. BUT I will say. This is a pretty interesting story. It is hugely political and on top of that, it is the most “sandbox MMO” I have EVER seen out of WoW.

Grats to all the Scarab Lords, I’m sure you were deemed worthy for your dedication or your leadership or whatever. Coalition or not. The biggest congrats goes to the Scarab Lord and the guild who went against all the set up rules but still got the reward at the end.

5 Likes

Mak’Gora!!

3 Likes

Video soon to come of our trials - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8xDAv_Pbog

3 Likes

Congrats MakGora.
Looking in on all of this from the outside, it sounds like Tricksta is the only deserving Scarab Lord on this server.

Shame on the other guilds for what they stooped to here. It makes me sad.

4 Likes

I know no Scarab Lord but the one from Mak’Gora whose name is Tricksta.

I don’t care if he’s a Horde. Gamer sweat runs through his veins.

He is my Scarab Lord. From this day - until probably around the time Burning Crusade Classic comes out. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Everyone loves a story of someone beating overwhelming odds.

Congrats to the dedicated few that worked their butt out, the allies and supporters that allowed Tricksta and Makgora to get his Scarab Lord.

Now I just want to say something though. It is truly reprehensible that the coalition, despite being done with their carapace grind, actively seek to disrupt and grief Makgora’s efforts. You guys could’ve walked away and let them finish in peace, but instead you sent out goons to suicide into bosses and disrupt them every single step of the way. And that is what you should be ashamed of.

5 Likes

Some would say it’s the second thing, but agreed it made the bad even worse.