The Salience of Mortality

As it had been where the struggle had begun, Randarel, lord of House Vendross, elected to end it in the same place: the ruined marketplace in Zin-Azshari. Deciding not to risk another friend or ally being killed, he had challenged the void witch to a wizard’s duel. While they would both have their own entourage, no doubt, he was gambling that her pride would lead her to act impulsively.

Standing with him were three sin’dorei Blood Knights, one of them Master Kirenna Summerlight, who had pledged herself to hunting down the murderess. Now she was protecting him, knowing that a night elf assassin had struck down Magister Talashar. Despite his wariness of goblins, Randarel had two on hand - one visible, carrying a large-barreled gun, and the other not, blades ready just in case the night elf decided to tilt the fight in her mistress’ favor.

A void portal opened in front of Randarel, and three figures stepped out of it. One was the night elf assassin, wearing concealing garb, only showing slight hints of purplish skin and black, black eyes. Another was a void elf male with short-cropped hair; Randarel felt his rage rise within him as he recognized he was carrying Menarian’s staff. But it was the one in the center who had his entire attention. “Lady Nightswan,” he said curtly in Thalassian, bowing formally.

“Lord Vendross,” she returned in the same tongue, returning the bow. She gestured for the two with her to step back. “I see you have made your choice.”

Randarel raised an arcane shield around himself, as his guardians also stepped back. “As you have yours.”

Standing in a ruined structure overlooking the courtyard, Daeron Soulscorcher watched as the Nightborne arcanist and the void elf warlock began exchanging fire, hurling arcane bolts and shadow magics at each other. He set the ancient Highborne chest on the ground, activating the runed locking system, and opened it. “I hope yer right about this.”

Patience, the voice contained in the soulstone admonished him. After all, it’s been done before. Hasn’t it… Corruptor?

Daeron looked up, finding a bare-chested orc towering over him, wearing fel-tempered plate taken from an eredar lord on Argus. He was a member of the Council of the Black Harvest, just as both Daeron and his disembodied mentor were. “The players are converging,” the Corruptor said simply. “The next one should be here soon enough.”

Daeron was confused. “Who?”

“You’ll see.”

1 Like

Magister Lianis Darkfrost watched the battle unfold with a face like stone and pain in his heart. Randarel had ten thousand years of experience in the arts of the arcane on his side. Tavira had the potent but unstable powers of the Void on hers. Put together, each gave as good as they got. She hurled bolts of shadow at him, while he blinked nimbly around her. Any shots lucky enough to find their marks impacted upon the arcane shield he had raised around himself. It seemed to him that Randarel was not giving everything, that the arcanist was just letting his foe rain hell upon him.

Unbeknownst to Lianis, that was Randarel’s intention - to get Tavira to exhaust herself, and then close in for the kill. It had been how he had slain his wife’s murderer, Spellfencer Relsyn, during the siege of the Nighthold, back when he had not regained his full strength from his near-withering; he had waited for her to open herself up, and then he had struck her down. This would be no different.

Tavira was easily as reckless and prideful as Relsyn, but she was also far more powerful in the magical arts - that could give her an unexpected edge. Lianis watched Randarel’s fluid, graceful movements; the elder mage’s gaze was wary, watchful.

Tavira laughed scornfully at him. “You challenge me and yet you sit there and take it. Are you too afraid to use your powers, old man?”

“On the contrary,” Randarel replied calmly, not rising to the bait. “I understand my powers are not to be used wastefully. Can you say the same?” His staff glowed bright as he seemed to shatter in front of her, and in his place were ten identical copies. All of them smirked. “An illusion,” all of them said at once, like an echoing choir. “Where am I hiding?”

Incensed, Tavira raised her staff, the glow from its Void-enchanted head seemingly sucking the light out of the area around them, and unleashed a powerful burst of shadow that consumed the mirror images. When the darkness cleared, nothing remained. “Filthy coward! FIGHT ME!”

“Foolish girl. You are your own worst enemy.” A burst of arcane power lashed out from behind her just as Tavira turned around. The spell focus at the head of her staff shattered with a horrendous screech, knocking Tavira across the courtyard and slamming painfully into a ruined wall. As she collapsed to the dust, Randarel stood over her, his expression not one of rage or triumph, but of one that made her blood boil: pity. “Such a waste. If you had enough sense, you would know that I… that we…” He indicated his entourage. “…are not your enemy.” Lianis could see that Master Summerlight did not agree with that assessment, but had the sense to keep silent. “Sylvanas is our mutual foe. Why waste this energy killing each other here? End this now, Tavira! Before it is too late!”

“Listen to him, Tavira.” Her eyes went wide with shock as she heard the voice… and much to Lianis’ own surprise, he realized the voice was his own. “We were meant for more than this. We will fight the Horde properly another day, but for now, we have larger problems. Just as we have every time before.”

NO!” Tavira screamed, rage and agony evident in her tone. “I have sat by and watched the damned orcs and their filth corrupt everything I have held dear! I have watched my so-called leaders betray the memory of all those we lost in the Second War just to serve the scum who murdered them! No more! NO MORE!” She looked up pleadingly at him. “Help me, Lianis. Do what you swore to my father on his deathbed! Help me!”

Lianis’ expression was sad, grim. Finally, he shook his head. “No.”

“What?!”

“I swore to Hendar, my guardian, my mentor… the father I never had… to protect his last surviving child. His heir. But Tavira is dead. She died when she allowed the Void to control her, rather than keep it under control… all I see now is a shadow that wears her face.” He bowed his head. “I cannot help you. I will not.”

Veins bulged at Tavira’s temples. “Then you will die,” she hissed hatefully. “Arrenhae! Kill the Nightborne! Kill this traitor! KILL THEM ALL!”

I think not, ren’dorei… The voice echoed in the minds of everyone present. The Nightborne… and all that both of you have brought… are MINE.

Randarel’s eyes went wide, recognizing that foul presence all too well. “Shankolin,” he whispered. Lianis recognized the name too, a whisper he had heard from the Void. It meant “forsaken” in a human dialect… and it belonged to one of Sylvanas’ most fervent zealots.

Cruel laughter echoed in the ruined halls.

1 Like

“Well, this is a pickle,” Feesa Stormblast commented under her breath in her native language, having pointedly increased her distance from the confrontation.

When her old pal Kitrik had asked her to accompany him to this shindig, Feesa had agreed. She was not nearly as zealous or as open with her opposition to Sylvanas as he was (though she would certainly prefer to see her gone), and not quite as unwilling to fight the Alliance as he was, either - although like him, she was sickened by the slaughter of women and children in Teldrassil. But when he mentioned that Randarel Vendross had targeted the Nightswan witch, she had leapt at the chance to see her turned into devilsaur chow. Nightswan was a sadist, even for a void elf.

This was not what she’d envisioned. She had no desire to be caught in the midst of a spat with one of Sylvanas’ pet loonies.

“I think we’d best make our exit,” she continued.

“Not a chance,” came the reply, also in the goblin tongue, as Kitrik stepped out of stealth next to her. He had given up his nautical gear for green-tinted leather armor, and replaced his skull-hilted rapiers with short daggers with poisoned crystal shards in the blades. “We see this through.”

“Kit, we came here for the friggin’ void elf. I am not gonna take the chance and get myself killed fightin’ against one of the banshee’s pets.”

Kitrik peered at her through his goggles. “You weren’t so shy when we joined Vol’jin against Garrosh.”

“This ain’t the same thing, Kit! We’re not dealin’ with a muscle-brained idiot here, y’know - I’m all for gettin’ rid of Sylvanas, but I’m not willin’ to deal with Deathstalkers every day until we finally get rid of her! Maybe you like runnin’ for your life all the time --”

“You think I like this?!” Kitrik snapped, outrage evident in his expression. Feesa was shocked, taking a step back. “You think I stand up to the banshee freak for kicks? Or do you mistake me for your ex-boyfriend, as someone who sells himself cheap to whoever’s willing to buy my loyalty? You try puttin’ a bullet in my head like you did his - you won’t find me wounded and disarmed this time!”

“How dare you throw Krezzik in my face, ya friggin’ hypocrite! You like to say you kill people who deserve it all the time! Would it have made you feel better if he was still holdin’ his friggin’ gun?!” When Kitrik suddenly disappeared from her sight, she snorted. “Yeah, I figured you had nothin’ to say to that. You…” She looked up and realized why he’d vanished. Three Deathstalkers were standing there, grinning. “Oh, crap.”

One of then suddenly had his head roll from his neck and down his right shoulder before dropping to the ground; the body followed suit a second later. The other two turned to Kitrik, who only spared a brief comment to his fellow goblin: “Shoot them, you twit!”

Feesa sighed and hefted her rifle in one hand. In the other hand, she raised a bone whistle to her lips and blew three times. A rumbling roar from behind her was the response…

1 Like

Daeron set the soulstone in a satchel hanging from his belt and looked up, frowning as he saw the orc was gone. He was bothered by the idea of working with a creature like that, but he was a member of the Council, and he’d made the offer. Daeron had actually seen the Corruptor’s soulstone shatter when his powers returned, so he had been the ideal person to go to. Of course, they would go back to slaughtering each other after this was over… much like the bunch of them were doing down below.

As he descended into the courtyard, Daeron threw himself flat a split second before the upper half of a bifurcated Forsaken Deathstalker impacted the wall behind him. He kept a hand on the satchel to keep the stone from rattling. A moment later, the Deathstalker’s legs followed suit, missing one part of it from the knee down. Much to Daeron’s astonishment, a massive devilsaur adorned with Zandalari armor plating was charging at another Deathstalker, who screamed just before her head was torn right off her shoulders.

As the night elf, goblins, and Blood Knights were contending with Forsaken - most of whom were clearly Void-corrupted - Randarel and Tavira continued their dance of death, shadow bolts and arcane blasts flying like hailstones. Having discarded her shattered staff, Tavira screeched like a swooping bird of prey as she leapt at the Nightborne, drawing an engraved spellblade from a hidden sheath under her robe. Randarel moved too late and cried out in pain as the blade took him in the shoulder. Straddling him as he collapsed to the ground, Tavira grinned insanely as she wrenched the blade free and raised it again for the coup de grace.

Now! the voice from the soulstone insisted. Daeron raised his hands and let loose a burst of soulfire. Tavira felt it coming, but turned too late as the fireball found its mark. She screamed in absolute agony as her hair and skin smoldered from the impact. Randarel blinked away, clutching his right arm, which was horribly burned from the impact as well.

Tavira began crawling across the barnacle-covered ground towards Lianis, hand reaching out towards him. “Please…”

Lianis’ head was bowed, tears running down his face as he saw what had become of his mistress. Walking past her, he stooped to pick up her broken staff. Then he opened a portal to Stormwind. “Shorel’aran, Tavira,” he said with a shaking voice. “May you find the peace you could not have in life.”

“NOOOOO!!!” She tried to grab for his ankle, but had no strength left to her. Lianis stepped through the portal, and was gone. Her hand fell into the dusty ground, her head beginning to ache as the whispers became clamors… and screaming aloud again as the clamors became screams themselves.

Daeron stooped to pick up the discarded spellblade. He flipped it in his hand. “Fine blade, well balanced,” he said almost conversationally. He saw that she had indeed had the tome with her, and the chain had been snapped during the ongoing melee. Stepping on her back to prevent her from trying to roll over and drain the life out of something to restore her life, he went and picked it up. Then he rolled her over with his foot. “Ye shouldnae be takin’ things that don’t belong t’ye, lassie. It’s no’ good fer yer health.” He tucked the book under his arm and retrieved the soulstone from his satchel, forcing her to hold it in her hands against her chest, again to keep her from casting a spell. Her pain briefly gave way to rage as she struggled.

Nightswan, the soul within the stone said to her, stopping her cold. For all your declarations of mastery, you die the death of a failed acolyte. Mastered by your power, rather than being its master. A pity. You had potential.

With cold contempt despite the smoldering fire in his eyes, Daeron slit her throat, and her screams became gurgles as the blood began spraying.

Be at peace, the voice continued, which became quieter as her strength failed. You will not have to live in a world with the Horde ever again… just as you wanted. But the fight against Sylvanas and her ilk will go on. It will simply take… a different form. The voice was far away now, as if carried by the wind from far away. You wanted to embrace the darkness… here it is.

Daeron stood, covered in her blood - and using more of it to draw a symbol on her forehead. Then he stepped back.

The last thing Tavira Nightswan saw before oblivion took her was the soulstone on her chest glowing… green…

Urgan of the Black Harvest, the orc warlock reviled as “the Corruptor”, had made his way down into the courtyard seeking his real foe. He was glad to bring back a member of the Council, even this one, for what was to come… but he shook his head as he listened to the Dark Iron speak the incantations out loud over the corpse of the void elf. Amateur, he thought contemptuously. A true warlock need not speak the words aloud to invoke his power.

Turning towards the ongoing slaughter, he sought out the largest source of shadow power… and found it. “We really must stop meeting like this, Saavedro,” he said in a loud, mocking tone, as he raised one armored gauntlet - swirling with fel energy - to summon his felguard. The demon was carrying a battleaxe today, it would seem; he kept an arsenal on hand for the creature just in case. “Whatever will the children think?”

Corruptor. He felt the voice of Father Shankolin Blightpath - the man who had once been, but was no more, Saavedro of Stratholme - in his mind. You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season.

“Nice to feel appreciated.” Urgan sidestepped a burst of shadow energy sent his way, and sent back a bolt of his own. “Now, as much as I enjoy watching the little people suffer, I’m here to put an end to this charade and deliver you to the Necropolis. I told that death-priest Zulimbasha that I would deliver you to him.”

Shankolin laughed. He could not hold me before.

“Oh, I didn’t mean your body. Just your soul - and this time, no amount of trickery on your part, or anyone else’s, will bring you back. Bwonsamdi will have you, and I will have his patronage. When it comes to Death, it is best to be at his side than in his path.”

Ironic, coming from you.

The Corruptor shrugged. “Zulimbasha said much the same thing, but that’s the gamble I’m taking. The only consolation I can give you is that at least you won’t have to worry about the post-war purges once Sylvanas is dead.”

Another burst of shadow power, and a distinct hint of anger. You say that as if it’s even a possibility.

“Oh, please. The entire disaster with Baine and Proudmoore set the wheels in motion. The whole world will converge upon us, just as it did before. We both know how that will end. Albeit with a considerably higher body count and a lot less restraint on the part of the mad Warchief, but… she’s done. Just like Garrosh.”

Garrosh was weak, brutish… and relied upon the power of a dead god. Void tentacles rose from the ground and wrapped around Urgan’s arms, forcing him to kneel. The shadowy silhouette, vaguely humanoid in appearance, came up close to him. Our true master lives - you have heard his voice, I know you have. You call yourself “Corruptor”… you call yourself “Master of Shadows”, now that you rule the pathetic washed-up cult that was the Modas. But the true Corruptor, the true Master of Shadows, lives within the deeps. Sekhesmet showed me the truth before you sent his soul to oblivion. N’Zoth will ascend, the Black Empire will be reborn… and Sylvanas is the harbinger of the end. The end of the Horde… the Alliance… THE END OF AZEROTH. He laughed. And if you are fortunate, I will allow you to live to see it.

The Corruptor was surprised at this. He had thought the priest, and the late unlamented Sekhesmet before him, were zealous followers of Sylvanas, driven utterly mad by their powers - but it seemed the corruption within them, stemming from the last of the Old Gods, was far greater than even the curse that animated their rotting flesh. Truly, the man who had been his foe was completely gone. This creature was all that remained. Still… he laughed. “You’re a fool if you think it will end any different than before. Remember Ahn’Qiraj? Ulduar? The Cataclysm? Pandaria? Even Uldir, an Old God created by the Titans themselves! A price was paid, but the end was the same: They failed. Why should this be any different?”

Because all that has happened was preordained for this moment… I have seen it.

“As Zul saw the end of Zandalar? As he believed G’huun to be the future?” The Corruptor laughed again. He noticed that Shankolin was carrying a very familiar weapon in his hand, although he did not quite recall it being in so many pieces. He had seen the same weapon carried by Sekhesmet. “You’re a complete imbecile. I can’t believe I ever considered you a worthy foe. All the same, however… a deal is a deal.”

You still think you can prevail?

“I don’t think I can, no,” the Corruptor replied. He grinned. “I know I can.” His eyes glanced over to his right. As the shadow moved slightly to look, the felguard’s axe cut right through the arm carrying the blade. Shankolin let out an unholy screech as he staggered back, the shadows around him fading as his connection to the ancient weapon - the tool that had corrupted him, just as it had Sekhesmet - was severed. The void tentacles holding the warlock in place faded into nothing.

The felguard raised its axe with a roar of triumph and brought it down upon the unearthly blade. Felsteel and foul magic collided in a ringing clash as the searching eyeball in the hilt of the dagger was shattered. Then it advanced on Shankolin, as if to finish the job. The Corruptor swiftly raised a hand to stop it. “He’s mine,” he growled, as he rose to his feet. He conjured an empty soulstone and stood above the fallen priest. Holding the stone above his forehead with one hand, he raised his other to drain the soul from his body. Shankolin spasmed, then went completely rigid as the spirit finally left his undead flesh. Then the rotting skin and bone began to collapse into dust, until all that remained were tattered robes.

Holding the soul of his old enemy upright, the Corruptor smiled evilly. “How much I would like to make you suffer,” he thought. “But the agreement was made.” The spirit let out a last scream as it was contained within the soulstone. Securing it in a belt pouch, he looked up and saw the remaining Forsaken who had been with the priest - those who hadn’t been killed by the rampaging devilsaur, the two goblins, or the one remaining Blood Knight - the Master, from the look of her. They all stared at him.

Not wasting any time, the Corruptor raised a hand and drained the life out of the lot of them. Their fleshless bones collapsed into heaps on the ground. Then he looked at the Blood Knight Master. “Take Lord Vendross and get out of here,” he said shortly. “It is done.”

The elf was incensed by his tone, but at least had the good grace not to say anything as she walked over to the injured Nightborne. The goblins followed her, one of them - Kitrik, he saw immediately - glaring at him, then pointedly looking away. That’s gratitude for you, he thought with amusement. The Nightborne at least had the strength to open a portal, and soon the lot of them were gone.

He walked over to where Nightswan’s body lay; Daeron had finished his incantations. The soulstone on her chest was glowing bright green… and then, in a burst of felflame, it shattered, incinerating the void elf’s corpse. A spark of green flame hovered in the air above, and then began to take a shape. A tall, broad-shouldered figure, slightly hunched forward, with legs that bent back just below the knees and ended with… paws. Its fingers were long, with claws almost as long as the digits themselves.

The worgen knelt upon the dusty ground, claws raking the sandy stone before him. Then he opened his eyes, deep blue-violet in color, and took in the sights around him. Then he looked over at Daeron, who had knelt, his eyes focused on the ground in front of him. “My staff, Daeron,” he said in a gentle voice, with hints of an upper-class Gilnean accent.

The Dark Iron rose and raised his hand, as a curious construction which looked for all the world to Urgan like something crafted by a goblin appeared in the air before him, burning with felflame. He held it out to the worgen, who wrapped his long clawed fingers around the shaft. He rose from the ground and locked eyes with Urgan. “Corruptor.”

“Lord Valmy,” he returned with a nod. “Welcome back to the land of the living.”

1 Like

The problem with being dead and trapped in a soulstone was that among the things you were stuck with was the memory of your demise. That was not a particularly pleasant memory for Lord Eldred Valmy, exiled nobleman of Gilneas and warlock of the Black Harvest.

After returning from Argus, he had travelled to Suramar to learn more about the Nightborne, as history and arcane literature had always been a fascination for him. Plus, he had been among the many who had come to liberate Suramar from Grand Magistrix Elisande and her Legion puppet-masters. Upon his arrival, however, he realized that the Nightborne had aligned with the Horde, because the blood elves had shown solidarity with them while the night elves only showed condescension. As he raised a hand in greeting to two of them - one of whom had been Randarel Vendross - he was greeted by a crossbow quarrel through his skull, his last thought being, “Well, that’s gratitude for you.” The quarrel had been courtesy of the other Nightborne - Randarel’s former guard captain, Valya Tiren.

She was former in many ways now, Eldred mused as he rolled her corpse over with one footpaw. She had no doubt heard about the fracas here and hoped to redeem herself in her lord’s eyes. With a malicious grin, he incinerated the corpse. “Call us even now, Captain,” he said. He picked up the strange mechanical bow she had been carrying, recognizing it as Englebert Blunderwitz’s work. He made a note to bring it back to the gnome when he returned to Stormwind.

The soulstone had kept him trapped because it had rolled away when he had fallen, and the Nightborne had put his corpse on a pyre and set it ablaze with other “Felborne”, leaving him no body to return to. Luckily for him, Daeron had discovered he was missing, and found the stone before they could. The Dark Iron had taken it home with him to Shadowforge City. Then they had waited for someone who no one would miss, yet whose flesh and blood were powerful enough to restore him. A soul for a soul.

And there had been few people in Eldred’s estimation that anyone would miss less than Tavira Nightswan. She was a typical arrogant elf, made far worse by her corruption by the Void; even her compatriot, the one called Lianis, had recognized that she was controlled by it, rather than keeping it controlled. He remembered her from the war against the Legion. She had rejected the Council, back when she had been a blood elf. Not due to any puritanism - she was a warlock, for pity’s sake - but because it was “inclusive”, because it welcomed members of the Horde. She had snapped at anyone who pointed out that she herself technically was one, believing that the crimes of the Second War could never be forgiven, and that the “new” Horde was no different from the old.

She wasn’t wrong, Eldred had to admit. But the way she went about it was pure stupidity. A waste of the dark power at her disposal. Just as well, he thought. The Council probably would have thrown her out anyway. Or fed her to the hounds.

He looked up at the Corruptor, who had watched silently throughout the whole thing. “Your assistance is most appreciated… but I think it is time we part. For all your stated belief in the inevitable demise of the banshee, you are still an orc, part of the Horde. We are brothers of the Council - but we are enemies outside of it.”

The Corruptor nodded, a smirk touching his face. “I had a feeling you would say that. Still thinking yourself a Gilnean even after the way they treat you.” He shrugged. “At least you were considerate enough to thank me.” He activated his hearthstone, which would take him back to Zandalar. “May you walk untroubled in the dark, brother.”

Eldred inclined his head. “And you.” With that, the orc was gone.

Daeron watched silently as a pensive look took over his mentor’s face. “Wha’ happens now?”

Eldred was silent for a moment. “To Stormwind,” he said at last. He looked down at his bare-furred form with a slight grin. “I think I will need a good tailor.”

A day later, refreshed and dressed in a splendidly-tailored robe with a high collar, Eldred met with Daeron again outside the Slaughtered Lamb, long known to be home to the warlock coven in Stormwind. He gestured for the Dark Iron to walk with him. “I trust you found the compensation satisfactory?”

“Aye, it’ll do me nicely, thank ye.” Eldred had contained a means of summoning an emberwyrm, an undead drake reanimated by fire magics, in the arcane-secured safe brought back from Shadowgarde Keep on Draenor. He thought it fitting for one who revelled in the flame as much as Daeron did.

Eldred nodded. “And… did you manage to get in touch with my old friend?”

“Nay, Master. Guards on duty said she’d taken ship fer Boralus. Far as anyone knows, she’s still there.”

“Alright. Find her in Boralus, and ask her to meet with me. But again, don’t tell her it’s me just yet. I want it to be a surprise.” Eldred grinned slightly. “I think I’ll wait for her in her office… no doubt she still maintains a sizeable library.” He hefted his grimoire in his hand. “A small edition to her collection will be welcome, no doubt.” He summoned his mount, a great dark-colored drake, and stepped up into the saddle. “Afterwards, I’m sure you’d like to test your new gift in the icy Kul Tiran peaks.”

Daeron grinned through his beard. “Oh, aye… and many things besides.”

Eldred gave one last nod, and lifted his drake out of the Mage Quarter and flew east, towards Northshire… where he hoped the whole circumstance would not turn her against him. Genevra was more open-minded than most, but Eldred was prepared for the worst, just in case.

After all, he had already been killed once. He would rather not do it again.

The Corruptor had assured him that he would obtain the soul demanded, and he had promised he would wait at the Necropolis for him. Personally, he wondered if the warlock could do the job. The soul in question was incredibly powerful, and had returned from death a number of times before. Just like the Corruptor himself, albeit without the same degree of fel trickery.

Today, however, he sensed something different, like perhaps he would have a visitor after all. He seated himself in the courtyard of the Necropolis… and waited. Sure enough, a moment or two later, a great bird of felfire landed not far away, and its rider dismounted to approach him. His skull-masked visage did not so much as look up from his meditations as he asked, “Ya have it?”

“If I did not know any better, Master Zulimbasha, I would say you doubted me. I told you I would, and --”

Zulimbasha raised a hand to silence him. “Enough of ya self-servin’ babble in dis holy place,” he said, his tone dripping with contempt. “Do ya have da soul ya promised… or do I take yours instead?”

The warlock’s expression was a mixture of amusement and indignation. “I told you I would get it.” He produced the soulstone. “And I did.” He held it out to the death-priest, who could hear the screams of the spirit within.

Zulimbasha held the stone in his hand for a moment, while running the finger of his other hand over its smooth surface. “Mercy… have mercy…” He chuckled. “Da peace of death be da only mercy I can give ya.” He crushed the stone to powder in his fist, raising a chant in his native Zandali. The screams halted, as the soul energy floated to join the multitudes making their way into the temple’s halls.

There would be no Light and no Void for Saavedro of Stratholme, no ignominious fate as there had been for Sekhesmet. He would cross to the Other Side, and his spirit would at last know true peace… and that would be the end of it. That was the promise of Bwonsamdi… well, one of. Another promise was one Zulimbasha, as one of his priests, knew well: He would have your soul in the end, one way or the other.

Now it was time to educate this fel-tainted filth of that particular truth. Zulimbasha had had no intention of allowing him off the hook. And neither had Bwonsamdi…

“Ya done good, Corruptor,” he said aloud. “But it only be da beginnin’. Ya debt still needs ta be paid.”

The Corruptor’s eyes widened with barely-contained outrage. “I upheld my end of the bargain, death-priest. You have the soul you wanted.”

“Ah, dat be so, but as I said… it be just da beginnin’.” Zulimbasha tapped his bone-carved staff hard into the cobblestones, calling upon the soul-energy at his command. The eye sockets of his Laughing Skull mask, previously dark and hidden, now glowed eerily blue. He raised his other hand, and the soul energy swirled around the Corruptor, wrapping around his hands like shackles and pulling him to his knees. “Ya shoulda read da fine print, mon. Ya give a soul ta Bwonsamdi… ya be expected ta give all da souls ya take ta Bwonsamdi.”

Urgan’s face was a mask of pure fury. “This is not what you promised!”

“I promised ya nothing, warlock. I said only dat I would put a word in for ya, and dat Bwonsamdi would decide… and Bwonsamdi made his decision.” The death-priest shrugged. “Look at it dis way, mon. Ya have somet’ing ta live for.”

“You bastard!” The Corruptor raged against the strands holding him, trying to charge at the priest, but could not break free. “You backstabbing, corpse-loving bastard! I’ll kill you!”

Zulimbasha laughed. “Ya think ya have powah, so ya believe ya be untouchable?” He placed a hand on the warlock’s face, the nail of one finger piercing the skin of his forehead. “See how wrong ya be about dat, fool!”

The Corruptor’s screams echoed in the courtyard.

1 Like

Sitting alone in his chambers in the Nighthold of Suramar, Randarel nursed a glass of Thalassian wine, still feeling the agony from the dwarf wretch’s fireball in his arm despite the mending from the healer in Zuldazar.

Word had reached him that Valya Tiren had been killed by the warlock that the Corruptor and the dwarf had resurrected, using the corpse of Tavira Nightswan. Worse, he had learned that the warlock in question was somebody with a grudge; Valya had been the one who had killed him the first time. He was still not sure what to feel about Valya… but once again, another warlock inserting himself into his life. One who should still be dead, at that; he had watched Valya’s guards throw the corpse onto the pyre with other Felborne.

Blasted warlock chicanery, he thought hatefully. Couldn’t any of these people stay dead? It was the problem he had with the Forsaken, too. Sylvanas was taking them down a path worse even than Elisande, and the Alliance… he had nothing but hate for them after this. To tolerate creatures like that… the problem was, the Horde was the same way. Undead, warlocks, shadow priests…

Perhaps Mayla Highmountain had the right of it. Perhaps it was time to go home, and let the Alliance and the Horde kill each other. Preferably without them.

“Damn them all,” he hissed venomously. With a cry part-rage and part-pain, he hurled the wineglass against the wall next to the doorway, narrowly missing his son Erdanel, who had just come in through the door, and now reeled back in surprise. Randarel was horrified, wondering if shards of glass had cut him. “I’m sorry, I didn’t --”

“I’m alright, Father.” Erdanel was pained more by seeing his father like this than he was by any glass. “I’m sorry to bother you, but there is someone here to see you. A Zandalari priest.” His distaste was clear in his tone as he added, “A priest of death.”

Randarel’s eyebrows rose. What would a death-priest of Zandalar be doing here? Curiosity compelled him to find out. “Send him in.”

“Father?”

“If he’s come to say he’s here to take my soul to Bwonsamdi, well… I’ve lived more than ten millennia, and I’m tired. Which would leave you to take the reins of House Vendross at a most interesting time in its history, my dear boy.” He grinned slightly. “Though if he intended something so forward, he would likely have come to me in Zuldazar. Send him in, please.”

Erdanel was dubious, but bowed his head nonetheless as he made his way out. A moment later, Randarel could literally feel the soul energy around the man before he saw him. He wore an orc skull mask that gave him a fearsome appearance with his tusks. He inclined his head. “Lord Vendross,” he greeted him in accented Orcish.

“Welcome, friend,” Randarel replied, the enchantment in his Thalassian magister’s ring making his words come out to the troll in the same tongue, though his lips did not match the words. “I understand the headgear is part of your ensemble, but might you remove it?”

The priest chuckled. “Ya wouldn’t believe how often I get asked dat.” He reached up and removed the mask, setting it on a nearby table. His face was surprisingly pleasant, for a troll, though the look in his eyes made him seem older than his youthful appearance.

Randarel gestured for him to have a seat across from him in a nearby armchair. As they sat, he asked without preamble, “Are you here to take me to your patron, Master…?”

“Zulimbasha, m’lord. And no. Bwonsamdi has not called for ya soul just yet. Ya have an old and powerful one, and in dis time, I t’ink we be needin’ such souls on dis side first.” His expression was completely sincere. “Ya t’ink my kind, priests of death, go around takin’ souls willy-nilly. Dat’s not how Bwonsamdi works. Dere be a time ta be born, and a time ta die. Some live longer den others, like yaself - ya be sayin’ to ya son dat ya got ten t’ousand years under ya belt?”

“Actually closer to twelve, but most people latch onto the ten thousand because of the Sundering.” Randarel’s curiosity rose. “You seem to have taken something of an interest in me, Master Zulimbasha, and it’s not to claim my soul for Bwonsamdi. I would ask then why you are here.”

“Ya welfare, among other t’ings. I happen ta know da folks who patched ya up. Good people, but bandages can only do so much, mon.” He chuckled. “Ya be known ta us in Zandalar - ya seem ta be genuine in ya desire ta work with us. Even in da swamps of Nazmir, where Bwonsamdi makes his home. Ya been ta da Necropolis?”

“Not in the precincts, no, but I have been to Zo’bal.”

“Ah, close enough, den.” Zulimbasha waved a hand at that. “While his priests be focused on guidin’ da dead to da Other Side, we still live on dis side, and we still gotta keep an eye on t’ings here. Dis war… dere be some in Zandalar who t’ink dat da Horde be no good for us, dat Jakra’zet - curses ta his memory - be right. Word is, da Highmountain t’ink da same t’ing. So do ya Nightborne folk. I be hearin’ about how ya spent most of da time since da Sunderin’ keepin’ ya big starry city under a magic shield. Ya t’inkin’ it be time ta go back ta dat?”

Randarel decided to be honest, since the man had asked. “The thought has crossed my mind,” he admitted.

Zulimbasha vehemently shook his head. “No! Baaaaad idea, mon. Hidin’ don’t do a damn t’ing ta help da situation. I heard about ya ‘Grand Magistrix’, how she and her pets made ya people suck up for powah. Slaves to da Nightwell. Ya want ta go back ta dat?” He reached out a hand, touching the diamond pendant around Randarel’s neck. “What would she say?”

Randarel recoiled, coming to his feet angrily. “You know nothing about her!”

“I know death, Lord Vendross,” Zulimbasha replied calmly. “I be seein’ it everywhere I look. I see it in ya eyes, I see it in dat pendant ya wear… a piece of what once was. Somet’ing ta fill in a hole in ya soul dat ya know can never truly be filled, but ya do it because it makes it hurt less. It makes not havin’ her here hurt less.”

Randarel shook with rage as he sat back down, but he said nothing. It galled him, but the priest was right.

“As I be sayin’, life be a part of what we do just as much as death. I heal bodies as well as guide souls.” Zulimbasha held up his hands. One glowed with Light, the other with shadow. “Da eternal balance. Life… death. Light… darkness. Peace… and war. Here.” He reached out with one hand - the one glowing with Light - and touched Randarel’s bandaged arm. The arcanist stiffened, but immediately felt… relief. The separate glows in the priest’s hands faded as he removed the bandaging the healers had put onto him. The flesh was puckered with scar tissue, but the pain was gone.

Randarel was silent for a moment. Then he looked up and asked, “Why?”

“For a time, I too thought dat it would be best ta hide. But t’ings bein’ as dey are… we be in dis for da whole ride, Lord Vendross. Whether da wound in da world be mortal, or whether it can be healed, as da diamond dwarf says… people like us don’t get ta hide.” Zulimbasha chuckled. “And dat idea came ta me from a Highmountain, I not be takin’ credit for dat.”

Randarel looked confused. “People like us?”

“People who know death, m’lord. Who be seein’ it for what it is.”

The arcanist gave a sad snort of laughter. “Senseless?”

“Inevitable,” Zulimbasha replied firmly. “Whether natural or by someone else’s hand… we see it everyday, and we know not’ing we do can stop it. But at da same time, we also see t’ings dat make a mockery of life and death, and all dat we believe in. Ya know of whom I speak.”

Randarel nodded, his jaw clenching. “Sylvanas.”

“Yes. Da dark priest who terrorized ya before, he has gone to da Other Side… but his Dark Lady, she got plenty more just like him. And dey just be da beginnin’.” His expression took on a fierce intensity. “Da darkness be risin’ from da deeps, and all who stand must stand now. Even ancient and mighty people like ya elves and we Zandalari, people used ta hidin’ in our mighty homes t’inkin’ ourselves safe… we all be in dis togetha now.”

Randarel seemed surprised at the ferocity. “I have my reasons for being so… forceful in my opposition,” he said after a moment. “What are yours?”

Zulimbasha stood, walking over to the door, looking out across the courtyard of the Nighthold and at the city beyond. “Death be my callin’, as it has been since my youth, growin’ up in Zuldazar,” he said after a moment. “When Zul predicted our destruction, just before da Cataclysm, my parents followed him, t’inkin’ he was right. My fa’da was a priest of Rezan, somet’ing I find hard ta reconcile with what he did…while my ma’da was sworn to Hir’eek, da great bat, even blinded herself out of devotion ta him. Heh… both dem Loa be dead now, while I serve Death himself. I often marvel at da irony.”

Randarel nodded. He could see why.

“Dey went on about how Zul said dat Zuldazar would be destroyed, and dat all who lived dere would die. Dey begged me ta see da truth and ta come with dem ta unite da troll people. I laughed in dere faces, said dat Zandalar be my home, and dat death be a natural part of da cycle of life; it seemed even den, Bwonsamdi called me ta his service. Dey left. Dey died. Zandalar endured.” He sighed as he turned back to Randarel. “Yet a Loa with no followers be no Loa. Even Bwonsamdi knows dat. We Zandalari be a proud people, just as proud as ya Nightborne. We have an empire dat has outlasted dem all. Da mogu. Da pandaren. Da night elves. We will probably outlast da Alliance and da Horde too. But Bwonsamdi does not seek ta kill everyone; he seeks merely dat da cycle continue, dat life go on, dat death go on, dat da souls of da dead come ta de Other Side. Da end dat Sylvanas seeks, dat da darkness dat guides her seeks, will end dat cycle. I cannot abide dat.” He chuckled as a thought occurred to him. “It be much like yaself, in a way. Ya have heirs ta carry on ya name. If ya all die, ya legacy dies with ya.”

“Except perhaps in dusty history books,” Randarel agreed grimly. “You think that Sylvanas will lead your people to extinction.”

“And everyone else with us,” the priest replied, nodding. “My own death means not’ing, Lord Vendross; I know Bwonsamdi will have me in de end. But if I be dyin’, I want ta die knowin’ da cycle will go on. Dat it were not all for not’ing. Dat my people be havin’ lives - and deaths - dey can be proud of.” He looked now to the image of Elerina that Randarel kept on his desk. “Do ya ever wonder what she would make of all dat has happened since her death?”

“All the time,” Randarel admitted; as if by impulse, he touched the pendant around his neck. “Especially now. And… it sounds melodramatic, but I find myself counting the days until I can be with her again. Until my mortal remains rest beside her in Tel’anor… and my spirit joins her. On the Other Side, as you put it.” He laughed, a pained sound. “It’s funny. I’ve heard many depictions of what awaits us after death, and yours probably makes the most sense. Yet it doesn’t make me feel any better.”

“Not really meant to, ta be fair. Not better, nor worse. It just is.” Zulimbasha picked up his skull mask and held it in his hands for a moment. “I been tryin’ ta hide from it all, too,” he admitted after a moment. “I hardly leave da temple dese days. But…”

Randarel could not help but smile a bit, finding it strange to feel solidarity with someone so drastically different. “But people like us don’t get to hide.”