The RP Community Megathread

Of course! We intend to edit and add requests as time goes on, with any luck the Devs will implement some of these requests and we can remove them from the doc and look towards other things!

3 Likes

I am curious if there is a plan to expand on the document, to add implementation suggestions for each wish list item.

We are expanding the document as requests come in though that will slow down as most of the common requests have been made. As for implementation some of them are self explanatory or have been given a way as to how to do it. But we are always open to suggestions on how to suggest the implementation.

1 Like

I am back and here with another small novel.

World Design and RP

Updating Zones

1. Update old content (TBC, WotLK, Cata, and MoP) to provide a unified questing front. This includes graphical updates to old zones, and to their rewards. This would also include rewriting quests and quest chains for better lore cohesion. Some older quests provide lore that directly counters newer lore and this can be confusing for both new players and RPers. Updating the environments and rewards aids the same two populations and helps keeps cohesion between graphics of areas such as Exile’s Reach and, for example, Stormwind City. As it stands, players exiting Exile’s Reach are met with decade+ old textures and buildings.
  2. The addition of empty/largely empty locations. Updating old questing zones could also involve the implementation of (mostly) empty locations that can be used for RPers for public or guild events, or private interactions.

Culture Quests

1. The idea. Implement questlines that provide history or culturally significant events (i.e. holidays) to the different races. For example, a quest where, with the aid of the Bronze Dragonflight, Night Elf players can explore the days pre-Sundering, or Hyjal before Archimonde’s fall.
  2. Cosmetic rewards. The quests, while important not only for lore, could also be used to implement heritage armor for races that lack them, or other appearances, such as heritage weapons, that are accessible by NPCs but not players. For example, the Blood Elven shields that are held by the guard NPCs in Silvermoon.
  3. Character customization unlocks. The quests could also reward new character customization upon completion.
  4. Toys. An additional reward from these quests could be toys, such as one that provides a relevant appearance (i.e. A Drust witch from a Kul Tiran culture quest) with a reasonable length and cooldown (i.e. 30 minute length / 20 minute cooldown.)
4 Likes

I really like the character customization unlocks idea. I will say I think the quests or activities to unlock it should range from faceroll easy to somewhat challenging. It would be really disappointing if Fel Orcs were locked behind soloing a mythic raid.

With that said some highly unique customizations could be put behind tough challenges. I don’t know what this would look like but it’s an idea.

2 Likes

For the sake of Blizzard/the devs reading feedback, it might be worth splitting up some of these things better based on if they’re a high-level high-effort content idea or something they could theoretically ship as soon as next patch. While a lot of the stuff I’m reading in this doc is amazing from a story/world building standpoint (and as such are pretty exciting to read) many are pretty huge asks.

I’d suggest categorizing things along the likes of this, similar to what I did in my post here:

High level suggestions (something done years before release):

• Story ideas (villains for the next expansion, etc)
  • Zone ideas (new or updated zones for the next expansion or the one after)

Medium level suggestions (worked on many months/a year before release):

• New systems (player profiles, housing)
  • Major updates to existing systems (e.g. new dungeon difficulties, exploration mode)

Low level suggestions (worked on between a few months and weeks before release):

• New emotes (e.g. some of the ones that NPCs have)
  • New character customization (minor things that fit in existing categories, including quest-based unlocks which they already have the tech for)

Naturally, this is just a suggestion, feel free to completely ignore this as well. :smiley:

I have several zone/story ideas of my own (mostly in the form of parallel content, not neccesarily being part of an expansion story) that I might end up writing out as well. Been a few years since I flexed those creative muscles.

7 Likes

I like this idea! I’m pretty busy this weekend but I might see how we can work that out early next week when I have some free time.

Thanks for dropping by the thread and offering feedback, it’s very much appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Halite posted a great thread about player housing, please go show your support!

3 Likes

Inline with what most people are talking about in regards to customization, I thought it was awesome when Brewmaster monks could walk with their staff on shoulder. I think it would be GREAT if casters could check a box somewhere in the UI to hold their weapon/stave while casting. I also think it makes sense that any character walking with their stave held in-hand, would not walk with it parallel to the ground, rather as one would walk with a stave in real life, perpendicular to the ground and touching the ground (like gandalf).

I also think it would be the bees knees if there was more customization among:

• Druid forms
  • Death Knight pets
  • Shaman Elementals
  • Demon-hunters wings being out when not gliding
  • Monk Combat animations
  • Visible trinkets,
    • Skulls, trophies, books, etc. Displayed maybe around the belt, and collar.
4 Likes

I think the only things I really want are:

• Upright Male Worgen.
  • Unlocking Blood Elf Hairstyles for Void Elves.
  • Inline with the above, unlocking all hairstyles for any race/faction.
  • Player housing, and guild housing.
  • I’m going to say it. I know people hate giving money to this game. But… More armour to buy at a good price. The Observer’s Ensemble is 27$ AUD Lower price items or at least a way for you to be able to get it in game. (without having to drop 200k+ Gold on a token) Via a token system or an achievement.
3 Likes

Honestly should unlock/share more hair styles across all races.

Draenei and Blood Elves share a lot of hair styles, meaning what if Lightforged Draenei got edgy Void Elf hair???

Also every race should get the LFD pixie cut, it’s perfect :weary: :ok_hand: chef’s kiss

2 Likes

I would like Hearthstone lore to become more and more canon due to how silly and off the rails it is. It genuinely just seems like a fun world full of fun nonsense and racial combos. I need HS Gadgetzan in my WoW.

I’d like more race/class combos as I don’t really enjoy forced racial norms and narrative vs. creating my own.

Xfaction guilds as I’m selfish and still want to do the ‘rent a character’ for folks that want bodies during their guild events. I don’t see it working if it’s one faction only.

I miss WRA and hope to see the next expansion be more grounded in Azeroth for RPers to enjoy and build stories off of.

4 Likes

Specific
An ooc (out of character) and ic (in character) chatting function for say/emote/yell. I have nothing against people harmlessly chatting oocly with friends in say/yell, but it can and has very quickly clogged up my chat feed even with the use of addons, like elephant, that keep a log of however many lines of text per chat window. It doesn’t feel constructive to drop people into my block list temporarily for this, and I don’t necessarily want to report people for spam if the spam is not intended. In the same vein, I think forcing this divide will make it easier for game moderators to see where someone is intentionally spamming. I think it would also clarify what falls under spammer in regards to roleplay servers specifically, easing the navigation for both player and GM investigating.

Additional notes-

• Default non-rp cross realm players to ooc in this instance, give a pop up warning about guideline differences from pve/new servers vs rp when they cross realm over to non-current content zones. Some will say this will get annoying, the intent is to bludgeon the difference into non-rp people so they can’t act like they didn’t know better about griefing and spamming.
  • I added emote to the suggestion above specifically for the pvp bros that cross over, camp people in rp areas that are flagged for WM or pvp in general, and then spam a basic emote 10+ times in under five seconds.

General
Roleplay servers need to have a more visible, and specific guideline detailing what conduct is expected of those that join roleplay servers, and those that cross over onto one. I know it was mentioned above that we need human moderation for this, I whole heartedly agree, and I’ve read through another post mentioning what tickets and GM experiences have been like in regards to mentioning roleplay specifically. I unfortunately relate to quite a bit of what was said, and it absolutely feels like pulling teeth with trying to get GMs that understand what is going on or that will do anything about what happened/happens.

I would hope that having a guideline pop up, like suggested, would help GMs to easily action some of these issues as opposed to the nothing salad we get now. And as well, it would serve to give repeat offenders less wiggle room in avoiding getting actioned, because it wouldn’t be as ambiguous what counts as disrupting rp, spamming, etc.

Additional notes-

• I generally mean basic things here like defining spam, disruption, griefing, and perhaps a return towards the care of naming conventions. Though the latter I only really take issue with when people have the sort of derogatory names that I cannot repeat here.
  • I cannot note enough the amount of times I’ve been suggested by a GM in a ticket to do something that is either not possible, or outdated. It’s frustrating that this has been a regular response over the past three years now, and I can only hope that some of the mentions of updating reporting tools etc for 9.2 start to at least help to alleviate what causes this on the CS side.
4 Likes

An opt-in play by the rules strictly RP only mode like warmode would be great. Not too sure how the goldshire crowd would fit into such a system …

An AH mount that is not an ugly dino would be more immersive for many. I am thinking a horse drawn carriage that could be crafted, skinned & upgraded over time like the Garrison AH. There could be simple pack mule version to start with, then a small farmer’s cart, upgradeable over several steps to an elegant horse drawn carriage for a successful city merchant. You could add attendants in entourage to provide services at max level, so a barber, purveyor of alcohol, providor or a trade good supplier as examples. In the future it could also have seasonal decorations addons for each of the holidays.

Please bring back player campsites. I want to log out at a small campsite when outside of city or town. It would also be nice to camp in the wilds while fishing & cooking.

+1 for player housing. Perhaps it could be at the inn or adjacent building where you set your an alternate hearth instead of a fixed location. There are lovely regions outside the capitals that could be frequented. It would be nice to move house if so inclined.

Kyrian wings should enable loyal members of the covenant to fly like a regular mount. It would satiate many a white knight fantasy.

I am not too keen on any of the suggested new races (?murlocs). Too fury or scaly & not high fantasy enough for my tastes. Playable dryads that can be mounted like a druid (legion companion model please, not shadowlands) or playable Valkyr perhaps?

A bard class with lots of flavor items & abilities.

More flavor items in general. I usually use my wayfarers bonfire when out & about. It has just the right ambience for my character. Other times I will use a raging bonfire (if I wish to be noticed). The little things matter.

Please fix hair & hats. I do not go bald when wearing a hat. I love hats but refuse to wear them due to this issue.

Some armor sets cut into hairstyles (The ABT priest set for example). Swords poking through cloaks are distracting too.

I am liking the thinking around forsaken that are drawn towards Calia Menethil. It would be interesting to see a split between those who choose the current state of play for forsaken, & the new redemption arc (as if they need it) adherents. Perhaps forsaken could choose a their preferred path & even city of residence in the future. Undercity is a marvel.

3 Likes

Competitive Roleplay.

I warn you, my Lore Per Second is in the dozens.

5 Likes

cursed or cool idk

https://i.imgur.com/TTsWypp.png

2 Likes

Yes!! It’s perfect and so horribly cursed!!

Also repurpose void tentacles to just be Draenei hair tentacles!

Blizzard add me to the community group so I can just propose more cursed suggestions!!

3 Likes

gotta ungender hair too I’d look amazing

https://i.imgur.com/U26Pb3J.png

2 Likes

Implement jail as a moderation technique.

You misbehave and get reported and a GM reviews it (not automated) and if needed your room is ported to “jail”. You can’t hearth, can’t be summoned, can’t use any means to leave but being ported out by a GM.

Troublemakers could log into the game but could only sit their toon in that cell. You swap toons only to find that toon in a cell too. No chat, or anything either.

After you serve your time your toons are ported back to where you last left them and restrictions are lifted.

1 Like

That actually reminds me of how griefing or breaking the rules could have you put on trial and temporarily jailed in the MMO Archeage. I think you could still chat but only /say, so you could shout at people who got within earshot of your cell. I remember trying to jailbreak a friend once but I don’t know if it was actually possible or if I was just being a dumb teenager.

2 Likes