The Return of the Old School MMORPG

Wasn’t Wildstar an attempt at an old school MMO?

No, Wildstar was trying to cash in on the whole “Action MMO” craze. It ended up just being another WoW clone, but with a free aim spells and abilities gimmick.

The issue is that it is poorly thought out to place the consequence of increasing playtime ahead of its other consequences and qualities.

Literally everything that makes a game a game increases playtime. The walk speed artificially increases playtime, why not just click on things and instantly be seeing pretty graphics or aiming at things?

The intent doesn’t matter, agreed, but the impression in the mind of the player does. The sense of true loss of invested time and effort is the key element.

1 Like

I hear its difficulty level was on par with a generation old games, though.

And even if this werent the case, Classic is still a healthy step up the convenience ladder, and is intended to be.

We are saying that being too high in convenience diminishes our investment therefore our fun, not that any convenience whatsoever is all bad.

Many of us oldschool MMO advocates consider death penalty part of what was better about EQ. Death penalties encourage you to play better and to play together to die less. Add into that the social dynamic of looking around for the best res you could get.

The 51% was almost never a big deal you were very rarely ever playing solo (WoW has to much soloable content IMHO). Aside that you had dedicated camps that groups would take and if your group showed up at another group’s camp and started attacking their mobs you were asked to leave. If you refused this request frequently the community would blacklist you and you wouldn’t be able to find groups anymore.

Those raids also invariably took more people than most guilds could field so they often brought other people or guilds to help. You might not get a piece of gear on your first run witha guild but eventually you would. Not having instanced raids also allowed them to not have equipment bind to user so trading was another way to gear yourself. If they had instanced raids like WoW then everythign would have had to bind to user. I don’t think either is better they are just different and not having instances wasn’t an issue or flaw just different.

As for P99 while I like it the people running it stick their hands in far to often. I’m rather a fan of the CCP approach of “Anything that isn’t an abuse of a bug is considered fair play”.

1 Like

Calling the original release of WoW an old-school MMORPG seems dishonest. In fact, it was the first vastly successful MMORPG to the market to challenge old-school MMORPG expectations, and define the new era of MMORPGs that we are currently in almost single-handedly.

3 Likes

i just think the penalty is incorrectly applied. if you die, why would that experience make you dumber (deduct xp), when the death has taught you more about how to correctly play. i have 90 percent xp rez cleric on p99 and as i rez people, i think… they need a different way to put emphasis on playing wisely. the wow developers likely thought the same thing and said… hey lets charge them game currency but remove the xp penalty.… and thus we got armor must be repaired mechanic.

2 Likes

That’s the sad part, though. By modern standards, Vanilla WoW IS an old-school MMORPG. It’s almost 15 years old, it’s almost a classic by musical standards. Yeah, us old timers who grew up playing “old-school” MMORPGs don’t consider it old-school, but it is now. Time has passed us by.

I refuse to accept that Britney Spears is classic music.

1 Like

Who the heck considers her classic music?

Britney is a QUEEN, and you just need to LEAVE HER ALONE!

2 Likes

She’s not classic music.

#triggered

1 Like

Not in the slightest. Just be cause your 15 and Britney has been doing music longer then you’ve been alive does not make it classic.

I honestly think your trollinh

I never said Britney was classic Pop. But, the cut off point for music is 15 years, and for cars it’s 25. There are other qualities that define Classic music as well, such as staying power, and relevance to multiple generations.

1 Like

I share this sentiment. How disappointing was EQ2?

this be classic music hehe

1 Like

in p99 it has manifested into a handful of guilds (usually just two but sometimes four) having eternal and exclusive access to all endgame raids. since its non-instanced and on a timer that can also be somewhat random, someone has to sit there and watch for spawn, alert the guild, who prepared in advance for the event. no other guilds are gonna get near that. and the sad part is, they never will unless the top guilds are banned. lol

The Xanadu soundtrack
Aerosmith