The return of Soon™

Redemption arc confirmed? Has Blizzard returned to the glory days of releasing “when it’s ready” ?

2 Likes

They release stuff when it’s ready…as long as the shareholders say it’s ok. There’s not a “done when it’s done” mentality at Blizzard anymore. It hasn’t been there since Wrath.

13 Likes

Unfortunately, it’s what Alyorbase says.

What the Shareholders say, goes. They can try to pull that Soon stuff but Daddy Activision will be all “You guys are so CUTE! If this game isn’t ready by this date, I’ll have all your guts for garters! You kids have fun now, and slave away at my games!”

1 Like

Soon™ was the replacement for “When It’s Ready”. It was the Ghostcrawler era response, where “When it’s ready” was the Rob Pardo era.

You know shareholders don’t make that call, right? As long as they’re making their money, that’s all that matters. And they’re not stupid, they don’t want to risk losing money on rushing things to be released.

On the contrary, blizzard clearly posted that the release date is set in stone and classic goes live August 27, even with hunters and warlocks possibly being unplayable due to unfixed major bugs.

3 Likes

…BFA…your argument is already proven wrong. Now then shareholders don’t specifically make the calls…but they do say what they want…and Blizzard has to answer to them. So Blizzard in other words is going to make whatever decision will benefit the shareholders, and will try to benefit the players, but shareholders take precedent. Which is why “done when it’s done” is not really a thing anymore.

4 Likes

There will be bugs still. People will complain that it was released too soon…

gotta make sure they buffer those Q3 numbers before the deadline though

3 Likes

The shareholders themselves may not literally make the release date, but the pressure for a public company to show profits does. That’s why S(G)aaS is such a popular model now. They can release unfinished products and improve them later “as a service”.

3 Likes

The Board has oversight though.

1 Like

LOL you could not be more wrong if you tried.

1 Like

TWO SPOONS EXECUTUS! YOU HAVE BROUGHT ME TWO SPOONS!
BY FIBER BE PURGED!
Try my RagnarOs!

2 Likes

Maybe I’m naïve, but I trust them to walk the line between expediency and putting the best product out they can - preferably with an emphasis on the latter.

If only because it serves the company’s interests best (which is how it should be), I think that’s pretty likely.

1 Like

But what if there is no spoon?

Then just…

TASTE THE FLAKES OF SULFURON!

I don’t think it’s naive to believe that. I think Anthem is a pretty good game given that it had like a 6 month development timeline. :joy:

There is no soon™.

So many people use the hot new buzzword “shareholders” without having any idea what it means.

You mean like “Shareholders are panicky because they lost a third of their value at the end of last year”?