The Reason why the Horde Campaign wasn't fulfilling

Sorry my bad.
Is so useless Valentine i don’t remember him.

4 Likes

Speaking of people we just met and died in this war, Zelling was such a waste. I would have voted him as the Forsaken leader, because while he betrayed the Horde with sadcowman, he did show what it actually meant to be Forsaken. His very own family pushed him away and he generally was hesitant with actually participating in everything up to freeing Derek. He was an actually good character until the end, even when freeing Derek, it felt like a naturalistic conclusion instead of the artificial “THIS FEEL BAD”.

11 Likes

Yeah … man I hate the Zelling death. What a waist of a good character. Though, the Desolate Council getting killed off also sucked (but I do tend to try to temper my expectations for characters introduced in Books).

4 Likes

I felt really gross doing the War Campaign on my Horde alt, going around rezzing people and pitting them against their former allegiances just because Ms. Blightcaller told me to.

1 Like

The horde campaign wasn’t fulfilling because, pretty much right off the bat, BFA was not about Alliance VS Horde. The war campaign is nothing but a huge in-game Sylvanas thread. There was no “horde war campaign” to speak of.

11 Likes

This is fair. They chose to put the main “Fighting” in warfronts, which while great on paper, works out like absolute garbbo.

1 Like

Bait and Switch.

They baited the Horde Playerbase with the promise of Faction Pride and bringing the Horde together, and challenging the Alliance and it’s roster of Gods.

Then they switched that plot out for Garrosh 2.0, destroyed the Forsaken in the process, and hacked several heads off of the Horde to promote Gol-- Anduin’s preference of who the Horde is.

I honestly don’t see how any of this improves the Horde in any way. Now it’ll be even easier for us to follow Alliance Demigods around in future questing since our roster is so empty there’s no reason to pretend we’re part of the story.

21 Likes

I knew they were going to just scape goat sylvanas, but it’s so silly how ALL the main forsaken characters went down with her. Voss isn’t even 1st gen forsaken and Calia is ew. These are the future of the forsaken? It’s like if Geh’arah took over the green orcs.

9 Likes

Desolate Council didn’t even exist in game.
I had to look them up as I had no idea the reference.

So glad we had to spread this terrible terrible writing to other formats to just have it mean nothing anyways in the end.

The hype promised by that first BFA Blizzcon reveal vs what we’ve been doled out for this expansion has burnt out any goodwill I would have had left.

3 Likes

They sort of / kind of exist in game. Or at least their graves that the Alliance laid them to rest in after Sylvanas had them killed exists in game:

1 Like

There’s a few reasons why the Horde’s War Campaign is so bad. A number of them have already been touched on. The “campaign” feels like a bunch of disconnected quests with a goal that keeps shifting and never really produces a satisfactory outcome at any point. First it’s Valentine, then he’s discarded for Derek and the Scepter, and we pick up Zelling, then the Scepter is just turned around and used to screw the Horde, Derek turns into a big fat nothing, and Zelling is killed pointlessly. By the end of 8.1, literally every stated goal of the war campaign has been nullified, leaving the player wondering what the point of all of it was.

Moreover, none of it feels like it’s being done for any sort of “war” effort at all. The Alliance goes on quests to identify and take out Horde targets and war assets; the Horde creeps around a graveyard digging up bodies that serve no purpose. The very first quest has you raid the Ashvane foundry for Azerite arms and materiel, which then are… never used. The first quest in 8.1 has you raid a manor to destroy an Azerite weapons cache… which is never brought up again. Hell, you do the most actual war-fighting with Gallywix of all people and destroy an airship, but after that the War Campaign is derailed for the purpose of telling the story of the rebellion (which itself was poorly sold).

It didn’t feel like a coherent story with a purpose, and the way Blizzard timegated it, the whole series of quests felt very disjointed and lacking in purpose. Many people noted they gave the Horde effectively zero war justification, and the campaign quests actually play into that. It really gives you a feeling of milling about asking “why are we here again?” while trying to figure out what to do, and you’re not getting any orders to do anything because the people at the top don’t actually know what they’re supposed to be doing either. There weren’t any epic, cool moments in the story - it felt almost like a “soldier’s lot in life” story where you bumble around doing seemingly meaningless tasks because that’s life in the army.

16 Likes

This doesn’t get brought up enough but the Alliance PC straight up beats the Horde PC indirectly.

Everything the Horde PC did during their war campaign either fizzles out (Valentine and then Derek and THEN Zelling) or gets countered by the superior Alliance PC (the scepter being stolen after we stole it and then used against us). Even the Horde’s efforts in winning over the Zandalari are partially nullified by the Alliance PC nuking the Golden Fleet.

It feels pretty crappy and like nothing we did actually mattered in the end.

3 Likes

I think the idea was to raise him and use him as bait to bring the Abyssal Scepter to the Horde, probably in a similar way to how they used Derek to draw out forces from Boralus seeing how he was this famous Marshal.

Then they found Derek and figured he’d be way better for this kind of plan.