The reason why people feel BFA so boring and miss The Classic

I played vanilla and I sure don’t care about Classic. WoW vanilla raids were mostly trash except for the 20 mans. It was all about being in a large enough guild or fuggetable it.

World PvP died in classic the moment BGs were released.

Crafting was still bad. It was BC that created the xpac wide crafting items. The only thing any good in vanilla was enchanting.

The first xpac was out in 2 years…

2 Likes

So how many people are going to be in 40 man raids and dedicate 20+ hours a week to raid MC and BWL?

I suspect people have forgotten all their complaints about how grindy Classic was, as the time :smile:
I am looking forward to seeing if people appreciate the present wow systems a bit more after a few months of playing Classic again, lol

No idea. All I was saying was a response to the post that the game would be essentially dead 2 months after launch, which seems unlikely given the staggered content release. I don’t think anyone expects it to put up the numbers wow had in 2006, except a few crazies. That being said, there are already guilds recruiting and planning tentative raiding schedules on the classic forum, and there’s not even a release date yet.

Patently untrue. No group of people in WoW all say the same thing, ever.

5 Likes

I think people still think they can get to 60 in a week.

From official source here :

Maraudon is still in the first phase, because it was originally released on December 18, 2004, just two weeks after the first player hit level 60.

So WoW release date : 23 november 2004.

So the first ever 60 (probably played 24/24) needed about 10 days to get to 60.

For most of us “common mortels” it will be a longer ride

1 Like

Most players don’t raid. They didn’t then and they don’t now. Raids have never been the big draw. Raids are a small piece of the appeal of old WoW.

Putting aside the fact that early WoW was new to all of us and insanely fun because it was all new…

Earlier versions of WoW had more to do out in the world that was rewarding. Kill thirty wolves and you got meat to level cooking, coppers (which you needed because we were all broke), possibly skins for leatherworking, and maybe a green or two. And greens were VALUABLE. If you couldn’t use a green, you stashed it for an alt or a guildie because green armor mattered. And a blue piece? OMG so special. Most of us never saw a purple piece of armor, lol. Blue gear was the bomb.

It all just mattered more…all of it. Having a rare pet was special because you had to slaughter a thousand of a certain enemy to get a pet to drop. Being able to craft a certain shirt mattered. Bags REALLY mattered. I could go on and on.

Look, there was just meaningful content whatever you wanted to do. We ran dungeons over and over, killed mobs forever, collected mats because it all mattered and was rewarding. And yeah, raiders ran dungeons over and over because they mattered, too.

Oh, and even scrubs like me did BGs because the rewards were earnable even if other players screwed around. I always did my best, and eventually I earned a cool weapon or mount even if I lost more than i won. No RNG…I just put time and effort in and got something good.

We had a vast variety of meaningful things to do up until WoD.

(Edited for typos stoopid phone)

30 Likes

The only thing that i miss about classic is the nostalgia, the zones and i guess some of the long chain quests. Personally i will prolly level from 1-60 just to relive the old zones and then prolly go back to current build.

5 Likes

As human after BRD quest chain and Mythic ending in Stormwind (I think it was for Onyxia lair, but not sure). It was something !

1 Like

Not a huge fan of BFA but it’s still better than classic.

I’ve played since day one and don’t miss classic one bit. Coming from EQ it was amazing that I could do so much on my own and it was fun, at the time, but it was awful compared to now.

1 Like

This is a 100% false statement. I don’t miss Classic at all and I’ve played the game since Dec '04.
So many broken things, useless stats, specs that barely functioned. 40 man raids were so long, even when your guild was good at clearing them.
Maybe if I was 14 years younger I’d have the energy and patience to do it again, maybe. More likely I would just play something else.

I’m not saying BfA is the golden age of WoW, in my mind that’s a tie between WotLK(story, friends, things to do) and MoP(gameplay, pet battles!, things to do), but Vanilla was a mess and I’ll probably only poke my head in from time to time to look at Classic out of curiosity.

9 Likes

I think modern raids are way better than classic. Having to ditch your hard earned gear so you can wear your fire resistance gear that probably took months of grinding to get was very antifun.

4 Likes

in my eyes it’s simple, really.

in classic, there was no CRZ or sharding.

9 Likes

This, and “no scaling,” is basically the only reason I’d be interested in Classic.

I’m not. I probably won’t touch it. I was there for the First Time. But I do wish Retail had never got CRZ/Sharing or scaling.

I wish they’d had the courage to do server merges. Names be darned.

8 Likes

250,000 people will play Classic?

Being serious for a moment, OSRS (Old School RuneScape) garners a surprising audience. I wouldn’t be surprised if Classic held, after the initial spike, 500k-1mil players stable.

1 Like

Go home, you’re drunk…

Silly me, I was thinking in much bigger terms :stuck_out_tongue:

I get it now

1 Like

What do you feel like you’ve achieved in BfA? Anything? Does it feel impactful? I bet it doesn’t, and I bet as soon as a patch lands you’ll wonder why you spent all that time working so hard.

I personally miss the achievement of getting new gear, new quests, and exploring the world. I miss feeling CHALLENGED, feeling POWERFUL when I get good gear, and being able to get lost in the game vs. flying and teleporting everywhere all the time.

19 Likes