The REAL problem with modern WoW?

I’m so sick of hearing this. Been playing since the beginning as a SV hunter main. I pretty much solo’d all the quests unless people invited me because they needed help. My pet tanked and it involved a lot of kiting, healing, bandages but I totally did it. Those Silithus elite field report things and the quests to go kill the bugs underground? Those too. And I wasn’t raid geared or anything I had utter crap on.

I love node sharing. Going back to feeling hateful and spiteful about zones being overpopulated would be very nasty. No thank you.

Scaling is tricky. It stinks outlevelling a zone and not finishing the story because you level so fast. I was disturbed when my new baby hunter hit 60 and I tried to go to deadmines to tame a parrot alone, only to see all the mobs were also level 60. It feels weird never overpowering the outdoor mobs until you hit a cap but finishing the stories is good. This is so-so for me.

The overall narrative of this game went downhill when we became the savior of the universe / garrison commander / whatever. You’re right, we can’t ALL be THAT person. It was weird. The artifact weapons was iffy. You could say everyone running around with Ashbringer was weird but lets face it other expansions everyone was running around in Tier x with whatever weapon so… meh

What I would like to see is more encouragement from group finder (dungeons, LFR, islands) to group people from the same servers together. I still want auto queue but if it auto puts me with other Ter/axis players that would be really cool even if we don’t talk or no each other. It would increase the odds of being grouped with them again

3 Likes

The only thing wrong with modern WoW, besides the abysmal state of professions, are all the threads about “add classic Influences”, “make leveling like classic”, “force socialization (World of Communist-cratf)”, ad nauseum .
Let’s leave classic influences in frakking classic, and keep retail worth playing.

4 Likes

The devs caring more about the money than the game

1 Like

This is %100 true and such an easy thing to fix.

Should we tell him?

I wonder if someone made a dead horse video. in this video he come alive and shot the one trying to revive him. That how i feel with all these none BFA threads in wow general. Sorry had to be said.

I have a feeling that classic’s success (i.e. lots of return sub $$$) may end up having a very big impact on retail going forward. I suspect they may re-assess the value and importance of community and immersion / world cohesiveness.

1 Like

These ARE the things that made WoW great, though.

The sense of progression while leveling in Classic feels MILES ahead of modern WoW, despite the fact that up close it can look like a slog and auto attack fest for a while.

Personally I don’t care if you give me 5-6 abilities to make action more engaging if ultimately there isn’t tangible sense of progression (outleveling a zone… not missing as much vs higher level mobs, being able to explore further out than you could before, etc).

If Modern WoW can fix this, I think I would be more inclined to return to BfA (or whatever next expansion). For now, the sense of progression in Classic feels WAY better.

1 Like

You do realize with scaling the way it is that bfa boar could still go back and one shot cthun and yog because it’s scaled for 110-120 just because you don’t like something small hitting you harder than a previous expac raidboss doesn’t mean everyone should have to sacrifice the feeling of progression during the lvling process

All we are, are our separate experiences.

If you want the world to “live”, then the experiences have to be temporal, and separate. They have to be a “you should have been there” kind of effect. Otherwise it’s just different actors in the same movie.

I ride motorcycles. I love motorcycles. I particularly like long range touring with a friend.

One aspect of motorcycle touring vs just two people in a car is the fact that both folks are involved in that actual traveling part. You can have two people going to the same place, the same way, at the same time, but they still have different experiences.

It’s always a joy to ride with someone for a 100 miles, and stop and then share what they had just seen and experienced. Even though they were together the entire time, the stories are different. They saw different things, felt different things, smelled different things.

Now, WoW simply isn’t rich enough for this to work well. The real world is vastly more complex in subtle ways compared to the charade of something like a video game.

In WoW, I had this happen in mid-alpha.

In early alpha, I would observe the world, and one of the things that stood out was, for example, there would be birds in the air – but they weren’t moving. Or windmills at a standstill.

Later, either after a patch, or maybe I even upgraded my hardware, “suddenly” they were all moving like one would expect.

I mentioned that to my friend, who’d been a leveling companion for much of alpha. I said “Hey look, the birds are moving now!” and he said “What are you talking about, they’ve always been moving!”

This is a telling experience, something no doubt philosophers have naval gazed long and hard about – the sharing of the individual experience.

What I see and experience in WoW is not what others see. It’s close, but it’s not the same. The camera, the colors, my settings vs there settings. At one point (again in the alpha) I could no longer see waterfalls. There was some quest in Ashenvale near a water fall. I had to call out to a stranger to show me where to look – they could see waterfalls.

I appreciate how this post is likely a treatise against things like phasing and what not, but, frankly, phasing gives much more depth to the game. Yes, it makes it more personal. You lookup and see the Jade Dragon statue, crumbled and in ruin. I, however, do not – as one of my characters did not advance the quest line that far – I like the statue, so I kept it in tact for that character. I have no idea what would happen if we were together in the game, whether the game would allow us to be together (of phase us apart).

But in the end, if you want to bond this community, the world has to change, and while the players don’t have to manifest the change, we have to be involved in it. No one can see the great statues in the Vale any more. They were destroyed. It would have been very cool if that were something like a gate event. The idea of being able to be there to see it happen, but I certainly understand why that’s not the case.

But I once rode beneath those statues. Now, they’re just rubble. I was there for the blood plague. I was there when the Ziggurats were floating outside of the capital cities.

Also, like others, I was there when Teldrassil burned.

Sharing coherency when hunting 10 boar tusks, you know, is less important. We may visit these events individually (within cinematic, or personal scenarios/instances), but they don’t drive us apart. In the end, we can share “did you see that?”

1 Like

I really thought I was going to get that treasure one day then a couple rogues unstealthed and murdered me.

I think the real reason is that MMOs are inherently a bad genre and that 15 years on the game is showing its age. Making the game more like classic won’t really help it because classic is like watching paint dry. The only real reason why anyone would continue to play this game is because after 15 years, it becomes like a bad habit or worse, an addiction. It becomes a part of who you are, like a tapeworm. This bad feeling like something is wrong and that the progression doesn’t matter is just, in my opinion, people waking up to the fact that they’ve spent 15 years playing a game where intrinsically nothing matters. Nothing feels like progress because there is no actual progress, just brain-hacks that make you feel like you’re progressing. There isn’t actual social interaction, it’s social interaction-lite because you are not responsible to any of the anonymous strangers that you play with. It’s the realization that everything is getting worse and games don’t work as the escapism tool that they used to anymore.

2 Likes

I hope you’re right because I’d rather keep progressing on my 11-year old Hunter and really it wouldn’t even take me getting phat lewt for that to happen. Engineer the world so there can be a thriving server community. I want to see the guy that’s standing over there doing the dumb crap he does everyday. I want to meet the same people and go adventure together, this leaning towards being a single-player game with no shared experiences is a waste. Layering is a waste of potential for servers, cross-realm fighting with people I’ll never see again is a waste. There are thousands of people per server let them see each other and let the individual server communities thrive in their own way.

lul,

your TL:DR is a typical 1 page essay if you use double spacing.

People being online are irrelevant if not engaged with.

1 Like

Dude, SC2 had millions of people online at one point. Doesn’t make it an MMO.

1 Like

This ^^^^^

Your post sounds like a more personal issue.

I dunno, maybe? I am getting older. But I think with everything that is going on today that it is part of the zeitgeist. People want quicker games with quicker feedback loops to get the same dopamine rush. Back in 2004 life seemed a lot slower than it does today. You had time to sit down and plan something out for your character and reach that goal. I don’t think anyone has the time or energy to do that today. Why spend 2 hours working at a goal in WoW when you could play 2 hours of several matches in Fortnite or whatever kids are playing these days and get the dopamine rush again and again?

uh…yeah…which is why I have used ESO as my example where the entire world is scaled to the same type of level.
They needed to take the scaling further for it to have much meaning.