The Real Problem With Battlegrounds

This past month, i've spent leveling my previously abandoned characters again, and one of my favorite ways to do that is to quest while queueing for battlegrounds. Dungeons become stale after the first run once you've completed the dungeon quests and maximized the experience you can gain from that instance. When I had joined in WoTLK, from what i've been told, at that point getting to max level became more of a rat race than an adventure compared to previous expansions. Leveling was never particularly my favorite aspect of the game. The thing that "made it all okay" was battlegrounds and my desire to PvP.

What i've noticed are some terrible decisions made by Blizzard and Big Brother Activision, i'll be honest in telling you that I wouldn't dare recommend this game to someone who has never played it before in its current state. As a player who has been in the game for several years, I will tell you right now that absolutely nowhere in any situation does enabling twinks (xpoff characters) or premade groups in the same battlegrounds as regular leveling players work as an attempt to remedy queue times 'work'; those people who used to queue regularly have stopped queuing at all because of this horrible decision. You put the majority, which are average leveling players, at a steep disadvantage amongst other players who don't fully grasp the idea of working together, against players and teams with gear that takes an amount of time, that is unreasonable to seek out as a player who is looking to advance his character past that bracket, and kill all hopes of competition. I will tell you now that absolutely zero new or returning players are/will be fond of this.

Allowing zero competition in a game mode that solely functions on competition to remedy queue times is that one thing that "just doesn't work". Blizzard decided to allow dungeons, raids and battlegrounds to become accessible at a click of a button, they did it for the casuals, and that is who they need to make this work for. Casuals have LFG, LFR and Random BGs while dedicated players have Mythic+, Mythic and RBGs. Blizzard needs to remember the fundamentals of why they implement specific changes to their game, and stick with them.
4 Likes
11/03/2018 05:56 AMPosted by Arlanos
I wouldn't dare recommend this game to someone who has never played it before in its current state. As a player who has been in the game for several years, I will tell you right now that absolutely nowhere in any situation does enabling twinks (xpoff characters) or premade groups in the same battlegrounds as regular leveling players work as an attempt to remedy queue times 'work'; those people who used to queue regularly have stopped queuing at all because of this horrible decision. You put the majority, which are average leveling players, at a steep disadvantage amongst other players who don't fully grasp the idea of working together, against players and teams with gear that takes an amount of time, that is unreasonable to seek out as a player

So you want Twinks and Premade groups removed from battlegrounds.
What is this "unreasonable to seek out" referring to?
I will tell you right now that absolutely nowhere in any situation does enabling twinks (xpoff characters) or premade groups in the same battlegrounds as regular leveling players work as an attempt to remedy queue times

Please link a reference from Blizzard explaining this merger of exp-off and exp-on was to alleviate queue times. I'm guessing you can't and are just theorizing as to why they got merged. I will offer up a different theory. Never before has gearing been so easy. Most of the best in slot items can either be purchased off the AH, from Professions and back filling from dungeons. The days of unobtainable overpowered items are gone.

Perhaps the power gap from x1 level to x9 level is so close that Blizzard didn't see a need for the separation to continue. I will point out that the separation was a result of a vocal minority within the twink community itself and not at the request of leveling players.

You put the majority, which are average leveling players, at a steep disadvantage amongst other players who don't fully grasp the idea of working together,

What better way to learn than grouping them with twinks?

Allowing zero competition in a game mode that solely functions on competition to remedy queue times is that one thing that "just doesn't work". Blizzard decided to allow dungeons, raids and battlegrounds to become accessible at a click of a button, they did it for the casuals, and that is who they need to make this work for.

Zero Competition? what? You speak of competition as if it's a catchphrase when in reality you want to say:

spent leveling

getting to max level

average leveling players

who is looking to advance his character

Seems you confused the word competition with the word leveling.
1 Like
11/03/2018 08:10 AMPosted by Whidow
I will tell you right now that absolutely nowhere in any situation does enabling twinks (xpoff characters) or premade groups in the same battlegrounds as regular leveling players work as an attempt to remedy queue times

Please link a reference from Blizzard explaining this merger of exp-off and exp-on was to alleviate queue times. I'm guessing you can't and are just theorizing as to why they got merged. I will offer up a different theory. Never before has gearing been so easy. Most of the best in slot items can either be purchased off the AH, from Professions and back filling from dungeons. The days of unobtainable overpowered items are gone.

Perhaps the power gap from x1 level to x9 level is so close that Blizzard didn't see a need for the separation to continue. I will point out that the separation was a result of a vocal minority within the twink community itself and not at the request of leveling players.

You put the majority, which are average leveling players, at a steep disadvantage amongst other players who don't fully grasp the idea of working together,

Allowing zero competition in a game mode that solely functions on competition to remedy queue times is that one thing that "just doesn't work". Blizzard decided to allow dungeons, raids and battlegrounds to become accessible at a click of a button, they did it for the casuals, and that is who they need to make this work for.

Zero Competition? what? You speak of competition as if it's a catchphrase when in reality you want to say:

spent leveling

getting to max level

average leveling players

who is looking to advance his character

When you enter a battleground, the aim is to play competitively. There is no competition when you're one or two shot. Nobody should feel forced to go and buy AH gear to compete in a casual battleground in which the gear you purchase has a short lifespan of relevance. And no, the rare few new players don't learn if they're getting one shot or two shot.
1 Like
11/03/2018 06:47 AMPosted by Willybrown
I wouldn't dare recommend this game to someone who has never played it before in its current state. As a player who has been in the game for several years, I will tell you right now that absolutely nowhere in any situation does enabling twinks (xpoff characters) or premade groups in the same battlegrounds as regular leveling players work as an attempt to remedy queue times 'work'; those people who used to queue regularly have stopped queuing at all because of this horrible decision. You put the majority, which are average leveling players, at a steep disadvantage amongst other players who don't fully grasp the idea of working together, against players and teams with gear that takes an amount of time, that is unreasonable to seek out as a player

I specifically want twinks and premade groups pushed back into their own brackets. It is unreasonable to seek out lower and mid level BiS gear when you are aiming to level that character past the point of that piece of gears relevance.
1 Like
It's true that those two entities should be in their own separate places. There is no arguing that. However, there should be some kind of system in place to improve the efficiency for everyone.
1 Like
11/08/2018 04:51 AMPosted by Arlanos
11/03/2018 08:10 AMPosted by Whidow

When you enter a battleground, the aim is to play competitively. There is no competition when you're one or two shot. Nobody should feel forced to go and buy AH gear to compete in a casual battleground in which the gear you purchase has a short lifespan of relevance. And no, the rare few new players don't learn if they're getting one shot or two shot.

That's not true. I learned quite a lot when i started playing in late bc-early wrath, i got dunked on by twinks, so i made one and i loved it. The only bracket where it's even unfair is 49 and 59 afaik because of lashers and Stein trinket..other than that it's balanced enough to where the power gap isn't anywhere as any of you teary lads are making it out to be.
11/08/2018 04:53 AMPosted by Arlanos
11/03/2018 06:47 AMPosted by Willybrown

I specifically want twinks and premade groups pushed back into their own brackets. It is unreasonable to seek out lower and mid level BiS gear when you are aiming to level that character past the point of that piece of gears relevance.

Remember when bgs and low lvl pvp were for pvp and not for experience? Goldmember remembers.

11/08/2018 04:54 AMPosted by Greyhide
It's true that those two entities should be in their own separate places. There is no arguing that. However, there should be some kind of system in place to improve the efficiency for everyone.

Yeah put us back in our own brackets and give me rating back.
Unpopular opinion here.

I don't twink, but I think twinks are the last straw to the past where PvP was alive and crazy. The whole competitive equalization thing that has been going for the last couple of expansions have killed the soul of the game imo. Yes, it's easier to get into, but it also gets old pretty fast.

If a person spends time and gold to equip a twink, they should be rewarded for that even for the price of others frustration. It's war, it's not a tournament.

Part of the problem is class design that doesn't allow many options to outplay stronger opponents. But that's another story.
1 Like
11/08/2018 07:08 AMPosted by Goldmember

I'd vote yes on this. Thank you for the contribution.
You get xp for losing and a lot of xp for winning now. Why are you mad?
the aim is to play competitively.

go and buy AH gear to compete in a casual battleground

I get it, I really do. You just want to show up and profit.

the gear you purchase has a short lifespan of relevance

What exactly are you purchasing? Gloves, boots, wrist and a belt. We have already shown that the difference between a level 31 item and a level 39 item is insignificant. All these heirlooms and enchants go a long way in your journey to 1xx.

11/08/2018 07:08 AMPosted by Goldmember

No thanks. If you want to petition Blizz for a separate bracket that deals with rating only be my guest, but leave the "us" out of it.
I'm sorry but if you are twinking low level BG's you are scum. It's true that it stops people from queuing because it did for me. I'm a way above average player so I could only imagine how new or casual players feel. I just stick with tanking and healing dungeon finder to avoid these people. They need to feel like winners somehow and I am not going to give them that satisfaction. They need to get gud and hit the level up button.
1 Like
I'm sorry but if you are twinking low level BG's you are scum. It's true that it stops people from queuing because it did for me. I'm a way above average player so I could only imagine how new or casual players feel. I just stick with tanking and healing dungeon finder to avoid these people. They need to feel like winners somehow and I am not going to give them that satisfaction. They need yo get gud and hit the level up button.

Unfortunately, they are not breaking any rules. They have just as much right to be there as we do. Take that away from them and you're taking away the last form of accomplishment that they have in this game. How is that fair?
twinks are fine, its not even hard to gear these days at all. heirlooms plus dungeon gear is enough to be competitive

the real problem is that some specs are OP, and blizzard has gone entire expansions without fixing them. you probably thought it was gear that killed you but really its arcane missiles, and disc priests
My issue is with healers and fury warriors in the leveling up brackets. Healers are unkillable and can 1v3 and win. Fury warriors can take on more than 1 and win due to their high damage output, sustain, and mobility. With a healer, they’re also unkillable.
The real problem is the generation of crybabies and soy boys complaining about everything.

When I started playing (mid BC), I remember getting 2 shot by "twinks" all the time, I never thought of going to a forum to cry and beg the company to somehow make it not happen, on the contrary, it motivated me to want to get better at the game to the point I would be on the upper end.

Stop whinning about everything ffs.
1 Like
11/09/2018 05:50 AMPosted by Ändor
The real problem is the generation of crybabies and soy boys complaining about everything.

When I started playing (mid BC), I remember getting 2 shot by "twinks" all the time, I never thought of going to a forum to cry and beg the company to somehow make it not happen, on the contrary, it motivated me to want to get better at the game to the point I would be on the upper end.

/thread

OR we just don't feel the same way about being bent over as you.
11/09/2018 09:13 AMPosted by Arlanos

OR we just don't feel the same way about being bent over as you.
Feel free to quit then its the same 4 people crying about it in every thread