The "Queue" problem

To Blizzard and perhaps some other knowledgeable tech folks:

Is there any other workarounds they’re likely/able to implement? Other than the free transfers?

For some of us - We have guilds on A52. We have entire friend groups on A52. We don’t play this game solo and we’re not able to just leave the server for solo adventures on a less populated one - We need to recruit, and you don’t do that on low pop servers (ask the alliance guilds).

But something obviously has to change. This isn’t going to work needing to log in 2 hours prior to raid time to ensure the guild is online and ready to go. For someone’s internet to randomly go out for 10 minutes and take them out of the “grace period” forcing them back into a 2 hour queue? It’s madness. I’ve never experienced a queue like this in any other game I’ve ever played. And while you expect it 48 hours after launch, it’s been a week.

I expected it to cool off a bit a week in, but it’s going strong at 2 hour queues between 7-10PM EST. I’m not confident it’s going anywhere in the next 7 days, either. Is there anything they’re able to do? Server upgrades? Or are we just going to have to ACTUALLY treat this like a second job and log in 2 hours prior to raid?

All we can do here is speculate and wait for them to announce any further measures in General Discussion or the news page. They aren’t decided here, unfortunately.

1 Like

Free transfers are probably just one of many things tried, to increase realm capacity while keeping things stable. Although server tech will only take you so far, given the numbers, an update probably will show here, or as another post in the general forum.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/service-update-300-pm-pst-november-25/737575

1 Like

Yeah, I figured this was just the first step in a line of steps - I’m just not super knowledgeable (Or even a LITTLE bit knowledgeable) in server hardware and tech.

Do they have physical upgrades to servers they do as last-ditch measures?

With server tech, they usually have the most up to date server tech they can get, all jokes about hamster wheels not with standing.

There have been great strides to support increased population for a long time, but, even the latest hardware still has limitations.

more broadly, no there is no magic bullet fix that you’re waiting on. while i’m sure they’ve tweaked some things behind the scenes, and allowed some more people to login at the same time, it’s not likely they’ll be able to do anything that makes more than a small difference.

Historically, i’d say these types of queues go away in weeks to a couple months, but that obviously might depend on the expansion some too.