The Plural of Bus

Bear with me here.

“For nearly three centuries, French mathematician Blaise Pascal was credited with building the first mechanical calculator. Then, in 1935, historian Franz Hammer discovered papers proving that German mathematician Wilhelm Schickard had beaten Pascal to it by 18 years. But in 1661 Pascal initiated a world first that has not been discredited: he conceived the world’s first bus service, proposing that a number of coaches should “circulate along predetermined routes in Paris at regular intervals regardless of the number of people,” and pick up passengers for a small fixed fare. The word bus is short for omnibus , which means “for everyone.” It was first used in this sense circa 1823, and referred to the fact that anyone could join the coach along its route, unlike stagecoaches, which had to be pre-booked.” - merriam-webster . com

History and Etymology for omnibus

Noun and Adjective

French, from Latin, for all, dative plural of omnis - merriam-webster . com

Octopi is the oldest plural of octopus , coming from the belief that Latin origins should have Latin endings.” - merriam-webster . com

So if bus is the shortening of omnibus, which has Latin origins, should it’s plural not have the Latin ending? Following the pattern of other such words where the “us” is dropped and replaced with an “i”, if the plural of octopus is octopi, and the plural of fungus is fungi, the plural of bus must be bi.

Example:
“There was a total of seven school bi in the parking lot.”

3 Likes

Thanks for the lesson

This man was onto something.

We didn’t listen

I use fora in place of forums.

i saybuses y u do no other

You could sound like William F. Buckley and call them “Conveyance systems.” But I just call them busses.

The criteria, the foci, nay all of the various datum, the nuclei of each argument in this thread the hippopotami in the room … algae … larvae … what? … What was I talking about?

Oh, never mind. Best to let the hyptokyona (hyptokyoni?) remain recumbent.

1 Like