The Perfect Pet for Capturing Other Pets

The first rule of the Condescension Club is . . . Well, never mind. You wouldn’t understand it anyway.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

I think the perfect pet to capture other pets would be . . . Emerald Proto-Whelp, but with Weakening Blow in place of Breath.

Hope everyone’s doing well. In the Emerald Dream, I stop and help every time someone plants a seed. And today, to my surprise, I was rewarded with . . . Elmer. I didn’t know pets could come from helping people raise their seeds.

Usually, when I see dark blue letters in my chat window for rewards, I expect Flightstones, not pets.

Flightstones! Meet the Flightstones!
They’re the modern Stone Age family
From the town of Bedrock!
They’re a page right out of history!

Let’s ride with the family down the street,
Though the courtesy of Fred’s two feet!

When you’re with the Flightstones,
Have a yabba-dabba-doo time!
A dabba-doo time!
We’ll have a gay old time!

1 Like

There already is a perfect pet. Its Grumpy. Howl/Superbark are unmatachable. Miloh and Lord Woffington are close but Grumpy has a lot more HP. Which helps when breed hunting.

Pair him with a Void-Anub and they can counter all wild pets.

Hardly perfect. He’s a beast with zero defenses except for a large health pool. And Superbark has 4-round cooldown. Anything that can heal itself out of the capturable phase will pretty much own him.

I just noted that they’ve been trying to create pets designed to capture other pets for a while. With Shadowlands, for instance, they gave us Stemmins, a self-healing elemental with Weakening Blow. So, this is my proposal for a pet capturing pet I’d like to see.

Doesn’t really matter what you use to capture wild pets as long as it’s not weak to what you’re trying to capture (example: don’t use a frog to capture a bird.)

I really haven’t encountered a wild pet that’s difficult to beat and their quality doesn’t matter to me since I have a bazillion stones.

I will say I generally don’t use dragons to catch stuff because of the buff they get to opponents with low health and a lot of dragons, like the Emerald Proto-whelp, hits hard. An unlucky crit with a pet that has power first could kill whatever you’re trying to cage.

What I personally use is my Lil’ XT because he can soften the entire line up, which is nice if you’re trying to catch a back line pet. He’s also a health pet so he can take a few hits plus rez himself if you’re unlucky. Of course I don’t use him for beast. Would probably switch to my MPD for them.

I like Anubisath Idol for a few reasons. For one, he’s got a huge health pool. For another, he’s humanoid, so he has the humanoid regeneration. For another, he has a devastating opening attack in Sandstorm, then his subsequent attacks, weakened by Sandstorm, chip away at the pet’s health, little by little.

He’s very reliable when it comes to bringing a pet down to capturable level.

3 Likes

Anubisath Idol is my go to for this. He’s not perfect, there are a few battles where he either takes too much damage (vs Undead typically) or does too much damage (vs Dragons).
With a large health pool, his ability to mitigate damage either through personal armor or sandstorm, and the human trait of healing the round after dealing damage, he can sit there on most random fights almost indefinitely.
The threat of overkilling the enemy because of a crit though is real, but that’s why you pair him up with something else.

2 Likes

I tend to favor Chrominius. He’s not perfect, but he has a low damage AoE, even with dragon racial, he has a nice heal, and a super nuke you can use to kill off the last pet. I pair him with a couple of other pets that shore up his weaknesses for the occasional fight where I don’t feel he does as well.

2 Likes

Don’t underestimate any pet with the Sunlight ability. Not only does it deal damage, including to backline pets, but it also increases their max health by 50-percent! A 2000-health enemy pet that gets hit would take 295, resulting in them having 1705 of 3000 HP. Get them to 1050 or less and they are capturable! Great for pets with lots of self-heals.

A good choice for this is Terrible Turnip, who has Sunlight AND Weakening Blow (can’t reduce an enemy pet below 1, with no cooldown) AND a self-heal.

2 Likes

I’m trying not to think about it. I started doing someone of the Family Exorcist Pet Battles in Shadowlands, and there was one that called for Broot, Singing Sunflower and Fozling, each taking turns, each casting Photosynthesis, followed by Sunshine. It works; I give the author that. But dear God, it’s tedious!

Still, Sunshine is useful for those pets that need to be nudged ever-so-slightly into capturable phase.