The pay to win aspect is wrong, and other issues

Flat out these murloc pets are ridiculously strong. One thing to have a cool-looking paid pet (blizzcon), but another thing to have pay to win abilities. The cosmetic divide is the uneasy truce blizz made with us when they decided to forego earlier written promises and involve micro-transactions (“they’re just cosmetic mounts, they don’t affect gameplay”). But cmon man, these paid for pets go way beyond that.

As another example , that twilight cat is ridiculous like speedy death adder always has been. It is holding you down for 3 turns and killing you within those turns. It is bought with usd: you can’t even claim you went out and got it, so effort expended.

It makes no sense to have a side game we play while waiting for qs, where the majority of ppl you face have pay to win teams. That’s ridiculous.

1 Like

Thanks for the laugh. I’ve never seen Twilight used in pet battles, PvE or PvP. It’s not particularly good. I bought mine so I could have a pretty pussycat follow me in game and sit on my knee. (By the way, you realize you can buy credit with gold now and thus honestly “claim you went out and got it, so effort expended” ?)

Now if the “speedy death adder” was available in the store and you could not use gold to obtain store pets you’d have something to complain about.

5 Likes

for the record I completely disagree with OP, but twilight is actually very strong (it still has its counters though)
but for some reason very few people play with it

@OP majority of teams I run into have no store pets, in fact the ones with store pets like ragnaros are the easiest games for me
there are plenty of things wrong with pvp balance but store pets arent one of them

5 Likes

I call them cheat pets. That’s what they are plain and simple.

REGARDLESS of if these pets are FOTM or not they R cheat pets. I 100% agree with OP there fine as primarily cosmetic pets. But i really dislike that many of these CHEAT PETS are also OP. It depends on the Xpac as pets go in and out of being FOTM but they’re still quite potent. Last Xpac it was graves. the murlocks are still powerful. And the righteous inspiration ability STILL needs a nerf. But none of this matters they ARE STILL CHEAT pets.

just my 2 coppers but truly is how i feel about them.

This thread.

3 Likes

graves isnt even a store/exclusive pet lol
anyone can get it

It might make sense for PvP pet battles to have a ban list similar to ban lists in Trading Card Games. Pets that are no longer attainable would be reasonable to ban. As for store pets, meh, grind 'em.

Or and bare with me now this might blow your minds.

You could stop being terrible.

because it takes so much skill to buy those cheat pets?

hahahahaha pet battles never been about skill but the cheat pets r complete BS.

Anyone with half a brain could run circles around any “store bought” or real money pet team.

That being said my condolences.

3 Likes

I sure am enjoying the salt in this thread

1 Like

“cheat” pets

:joy:

4 Likes

Some of the strongest pets in this game are wild caught or drops. My PvP go-to team is three moths. 90%+ win rate for me.

The only store pet that I use in battle is the Blossoming Ancient and I really only use it in the Gnomeregan pet dungeon.

Brightpaw is the only store pet that can be considered both OP and having no in-game-earnable analogue. Even that one, however, is negated by any pet with a good defensive.
PtW is not a thing in pet battling.

Anyone with a Druid can grow a Broot in the Druid class hall, which is basically a better Blossoming Ancient, so even that pet is no longer special.

As all the real pet battlers here, (such as yourself,) know, pet battles are play to win, not pay to win. An experienced player with run of the mill pets can often outplay an inexperienced player with top pets.

I used to play MTGO, an online card game, (of which Hearthstone is a poor take-off,) and it was always fun to play against someone who had the latest power deck, and watch them lose their temper afterwards when beaten by someone playing the cheapest crappy cards they could get hold of. That game was intended to be pay to win. Getting the “best” cards could cost heaps. I loved making decks of cheap cards no-one else wanted, using them in unexpected ways, and had enough different decks so no-one knew what to expect from me.

4 Likes

I’ve been trying. I found out about him 2 months ago and rushed to the class hall for some planting, so far no Broot. I got the other pet though. Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: I’ll get him today!

I hope you get him soon. At least the regular planting is not too arduous.

I have all of the store pets, and have one or two on teams I don’t use very often. I totally missed the boat on pay to win!

Side note: bought them all on sale for $5 each before Christmas. Couldn’t pass up the 2 for 1 deal. :grin:

2 Likes

And what do you know, I got him today! Now on to the next pet on the list…

3 Likes

Fozling > Blossoming Ancient >= Broot

1 Like