The only ones complaining

They tried having a live GM sit in chat in Elwynn on an RP server long ago. It was an experiment that ended badly. People acted worse to get a GM interaction, even if it ended in a suspension. Players also stopped reporting thinking the GM could catch everything so why bother.

That is the only time they tried real time intentional chat moderation - and it did not happen again.

Blizzard has a reactive enforcement policy - in that they react to reports, not go looking for infractions.

They don’t care WHY something was said. As in, there is no bias or opinion. Either someone said whatever, or they did not. Period.

They are not going to institute a set of rules on RP servers that are different than other servers. They are not going to sit around and try to figure out why someone said something or the context. Really not going to do that.

You are going to continue to see penalties because people have right click report now. They don’t have to go outside game and make a ticket with the name, server, chat channel, time, nature of infraction. They can right click and it captures all that info for GM review.

It does not matter if you are RPing a filthy mouthed pirate character or not - you can’t say things in public chat that break the rules.

I don’t think you realize just how diverse the Community team is. And yes, many are into RP as well.

It is not abuse to report language that violates the rules. It is a cut and dry fact - don’t say that stuff in public chats. You are free to RP in public chat - but you are not free to use profanity, etc and you can’t cause it to get spammy and drown out others.

Meanwhile other settings and MMOs realize roleplay isn’t the problem and look elsewhere lmao. RP servers have some of the worst and greatest personalities on the internet you’ll prolly ever find. I can understand how a player from just a normal PvP servers like Mannoroth doesn’t know the absurdity of Roleplay server history and how genuinely petty people get about fictional locations. But for people who have actually been there, we know LOL.

Company that legitimately made the players commit acts of genocide on another player race. That gives you the option of bashing in the heads of innocent human beings with a shovel LMAO. Company whose game has tents with human faces sewn into them. With child murder, with half breeds like Garona produced through S.A. “Greenskin” “Pig skin” Eugenics obsessed imperialist elves, flesh giants made from women and children wailing to be freed from their suffering…

2 Likes

In the 90’s when these things first started to pop up I used to argue against hate crime statutes for what I thought was obvious. That they were essentially allowing the state to prosecute unfalsifiable thought crimes and eventually it would get turned around on the people it was meant to protect.

But like now, that made me a horrible -ist of some sort.

1 Like

Three weeks is pretty suspicious too.

Usually the penalty volcano starts with small slaps on the wrist like a few hours and works it’s way up.

Three weeks indicates repeat offenders.

2 Likes

I agree with most of what you are saying but if you are implying that people do not have implicit bias and it effects what they do in this world, I have to disagree.

Humans are not machines> One person could say X is offensive and on mod would agree while another mod might not. If you say the MODs are aligned 100% then you might have a culture problem because right now Blizzard seems to allow one political side freedom to say and do what they want while banning the opposition

Blizzard cares and has since 2004? They have said it since then and enforced it if reported since then. The filter is for parents, and those who don’t want to see it, but it does not allow people to use profanity.

This thread has some useful info and touches on the filter Spotlight on: Harassment

Mature Language Filter (aka The Profanity Filter)

• This can be activated within your Interface Options: Main menu (ESC key by default) Click Interface > Social and check - Mature Language Filter.

• Once enabled, all inappropriate words in our profanity database will be filtered and masked to appear as jumbled characters, such as ‘*##@&’.

Note: The filter does not excuse the language used. The filter serves as a temporary shield, to help parents of minors and others who do not wish to see it, to block it. Our policies prohibit the use of both clear and masked inappropriate language.

I strongly doubt the simple use of the word freak or frankenstein would have resulted in a multi week suspension. I obviously can’t see the logs though so can’t say if that was really what it was for.

Correct. Content that Blizzard creates is reviewed under the ESRB rules. That content is static coded content. Player generated content (chat and names) is under the EULA and Policies of the game company and is far more family friendly. The same policies apply across all Blizzard games, even ones with an M rating. You can’t swear in those either.

Yet another SINGLE example, that isn’t really that strong. They obviously shouldn’t have had the GM stand out in the open where everyone could see it. If you think about it, lets insert a real life example here. If you have a state trooper on the highway, doing a speed trap, people are obviously going to either try to get their attention or they are going to be extra behaved until they are out of view. Take that as you will.

Well… actually. If you think about it, if someone, regardless if its a gm or not, is put into a situation where they have to look at a report from one person and not from the other to hear their side of the story, and they only punish the person based on one set of selective evidence, that is quite literally bias. I don’t know what you consider bias to be, but there are free online dictionaries you can utilize to educate yourself.

Except that historically, RP realms have been very RP friendly, meaning that if you typed in a certain way or spammed the chat or didn’t have an RP friendly username for your character (I.E. Aurielle vs Retslayerxxd), Blizzard would actually flag your character for a rename if enough reports come in. What’s happening now, is it feels like RP realms are no longer RP friendly. It’s actually insane how a wow community member is saying that report abuse doesn’t exist when there is quite literally massive discords and communities in game that players can go to to get someone banned. Don’t believe me? Look into it, or don’t. I couldn’t care less. Further, as Valeclaw has mentioned prior, Blizzard has historically (until apparently now) that RPers set the parameters, and not exactly them or other people. RP servers are for RPers, not other players. That being said, you saying this:

Is ridiculous. Thanks for reading.

False, tell that to the classic players who endlessly got harassed and spammed the N-word, and not a single thing happens to the person doing the harassing. You and I both know that the game was the Wild, Wild West back in the day. Blizzard would barely participate back then, it was actually the players who would blacklist those people from the server community (artifact of days long forgotten).

Still happens now, actually lol. Log into any version of classic wow and you’ll see exactly that. They truly captured the way the game used to be.

I guarantee that I will be called the r word minutes into a key

The absurdist in me wants to see them apply this and ban almost every single part of all RP servers.

Not sure, things started changing in WOD with the introduction to silencing. That’s when blizzard really started cracking down on how players use their chat. (which is good) I just once again think they didn’t consider how any of this would work out in an rp scenario.

If people are that thin skinned over simple swear words then they need to turn on the profanity filter or grow thicker skin. I mean really its just a word, it’s not like anyone’s using what’s considered a slur or anything baring the few that do.

1 Like

Well it’s been 30 minutes and I haven’t seen this proof you claimed to have so I’m going to go ahead and say you’re making that up.

Also last I checked, isn’t wow rated under the ESRB rules as ‘Teen’? Hmm. If you actually look into the ESRB rules:

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/gameratings#:~:text=TEEN,infrequent%20use%20of%20strong%20language.

Teen rated games: Titles rated T (Teen) have content that may be suitable for ages 13 and older. Titles in this category may contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language.

So if that’s allowed, why can’t we have the same rules?

I dislike it as the timing seems to be giving the framing that the PLAYERS are the bad actors when it’s the blizzard employees who’ve been doing bad stuff.

Why should we be patronized to when we’ve done nothing wrong. It’s disrespectful and insulting. The average person knows how to treat others, we don’t need a stupid social contract that is already in the rules to tell us basic common decency.

don’t try to lump people who don’t like being insulted (which this is) to toxic players.

If you knew what patience was, I did tell you on cord to wait. The person that has the proof is at work right now, as a normal regular adult typically is on a sunday, and will be giving me the screenshots when they are able to. No need to be a child and try to call out someone on the fourms because you’re getting fussy about it taking some time.

It’s just blizzard throwing the playerbase under the bus. They can’t take responsibility for their own actions so instead they’d rather place the blame on us. Its quite childish really.

This implies you had it, not that you had to get it, so stop trying to deflect and say I’m being impatient or fussy. You were not being truthful.

1 Like

Oh please… please let this summon The Vrak. I feel like alot of these account actions that people are talking about, are only distantly related to the truth :rofl:

It’s always: “I only said he was an amazing tank and that I love him… and I got banned for 7 years! This is my first ever ban!” :rofl: