The old god in the tree

This one isn’t even all that farfetched.

Look at this scenario: Sylvanas was planning to feign cooperation with the Alliance, only to betray them later on after the battle. Definitely sounds like something she would do, yeah? (And ultimately turned out to be something she did anyway)

Varian elected to charge forward while Sylvanas watched his back. This puts her in a perfect position for betrayal.

In the original scenario, things get too hot for Sylvie so she orders a retreat. But imagine if things went better for the Horde- say they were able to actually not fail at their simple task and allow the Alliance to deal with those demons.

Afterwards, the Alliance would surely be weakened as they took the lion’s share of the enemies. A perfect opportunity for Sylvanas to step in and eliminate her foes once and for all.

Despite what her stans would tell you, it’s totally something she would do. Change my mind.

3 Likes

Okay. Everyone here has the misconception that i actually like that I think this is where the story is going. But every time i look at the facts, i come back to this; they say she’s surviving, that this isn’t a pandaria retread, and that she thinks she’s smarter than everyone else.

You all know this is something these writers would do. Whether you like it or not is a matter of opinion, but you can’t deny that this, or something equally stupid is likely to happen.
I’m NOT happy about it. It will NOT redeem her in my eyes, and I’d rather go play classic than accept a redeemed Sylvanas story.

Didn’t they already try? Don’t quote me on this, but I remember reading somewhere that Chronicle stated his true motive was to protect Azeroth from the Burning Legion. He thought by turning the entire global population into Scourge, that would give Azeroth it’s best chance at defeating any further Legion invasions.

Again though, I never read that myself.

1 Like

Her waging a secret war on them would imply after AQ, Uldaur, and Garrosh’s antics with the Heart that we don’t take them serious or consider them a threat worth worrying over.

Even if they were assaulting some sort of death plane, that is only a modification of the assault on the Emerald Dream. Clearly something we would understand they are capable of and the types of problems that could cause.

Also if someone trusted was falling under their influence, that isn’t something we are unfamiliar with (Staghelm and Benedictus or even Deathwing).

Even if Teldrassil being corrupted was the triggering event, how many times have we dealt with Corruption with that tree? Why wouldn’t we believe it this time?

None of that requires an all out assault on Ashenvale, Darkshore, and burning Teldrassil with civilians still there.

No, they have painted themselves into a corner with only one way out that doesn’t involve walking all over the fresh paint.

1 Like

There is nothing redeeming in that train of thought about Arthas. That just means he had a goal and a plan on how to get there.

It is along the same lines of Sargeras wanting to destroy Azeroth to keep it from becoming corrupted.

2 Likes

So far they’ve been lying. Lor’themar even quotes the events of the Isle of Thunder at Nazjatar.

Garrosh survived Mists of Pandaria, too.

I agree, I think it’s ridiculous. Same with Sargeras actually trying to “save” the universe by wiping out all life in it to prevent Old God-corruption. Don’t even get me started on Kerrigan.

2 Likes

The theory can easily be proven wrong because Sylvanas goal wasn’t burning the tree. It was killing the civilians. That’s why she ordered shamans to enhance the flames so nobody could flee

She ordered Nathanos to burn the tree. There were no orders given to the Shaman to enhance the flames.

Her goals in the War of Thorns(according to A Good War) is this:

“Losing their homes and their leaders would have ended the kaldorei as a nation, if not a people. Even the loss of one leader would have been enough to create a tide of despair. The wounds of this battle would have bled, festered, decayed, and rotted the Alliance from the inside out. Anduin Wrynn would have lashed out in a final, desperate war, looking for a miracle, because only a miracle would save them.”

She wants to bleed the Alliance with despair and if burning the tree pulls it off then so be it.

She was not the one who ordered the Shaman to enhance the flames to burn the tree faster nor was Nathanos since he simply motioned for the Siege Engines to fire upon Teldrassil.

The Shaman enhanced the burning on their own and the Fire and Wind Elementals either willingly helped them or worse had given the order themselves(since all Nathanos did was motion the siege engines to fire on the tree)!

1 Like

You are assuming those orders weren’t already in place to the Shaman. That is the type of thing you have set up in advance cause you need a Shaman who won’t hesitate to do it on duty.

It was said in other threads awhile back that the conditions of Teldrassil and its environment don’t lend themselves to burning easily or quickly. It was living (green) wood and it was surrounded by water so no drought conditions (like those found in California with the annual wildfires where Blizz in HQ’ed).

In short the catapults and Shaman had to have been set that way from the beginning or they were just a big joke.

[Well the catapults already were a joke, but they were one where we are laughing at the writers not with them. ]

2 Likes

Nathanos clearly wasn’t expecting to be ordered to fire upon Teldrassil so why would the Shaman be on standby for something they weren’t expected to do by Saurfang and especially Nathanos?

If everything was set up without the right hand of Sylvanas’s knowledge then why did Sylvanas leave Nathanos out of the loop yet allow the common soldiers(who are less trusted) in the loop?

1 Like

Maybe because the Warchief ordered it burned and every Horde soldier did what they could to make sure it burned as hot and fast as possible.

Its not the first time the Horde has wiped out a civilization. They seem to be quite good at it.
But dont forget. They are the misunderstood good guys in this story.

1 Like

What is the point of even having the catapults there if you don’t have the means of doing any serious damage with the in the first place. The Shaman just had to be there and be the type that would be willing to do what was needed. He wouldn’t have been told what she was going to do, just be there and ready to do what she needed.

And I don’t think even Nathanos knows fully what Sylvanas is up to.

1 Like