The Nightborne Fix We Need

So obviously by the title you know what you’re about to read for the 100th time, but nevertheless it is necessary to show support for.

I personally became obsessed with the Nightborne as soon as they were released in Legion, just like a lot of people. Their aesthetic, their models, and their story. I remember when they were announced as an allied race and I rushed to complete the achievements to unlock them for when BFA prepatch hit. Yet I was almost disgusted with what we were presented as “Nightborne”. I spent the next few months of BFA hoping for a datamine showing us a fixed model and what was expected of the Nightborne originally, but even 2 years after that we STILL haven’t had one mention or acknowledgement of the clear issue there is (genuinely wonder if Blizzard is blind or just don’t care they ruined one of the most beautiful races in modern Warcraft development?).

I’ve actually come to find the Nightborne tolerable now that there is promise of customisation updates to come. But I’m hanging on by a thread of hope. I completely understand that allied races were said to be given updates in the future after the core races, however, this isn’t a customisation request but a literal error of design (specifically referring to the ghastly eyes transfered from the Night Elves) that Blizzard is too cowardly to take responsibility for.

Anyways, I didn’t come here to rant about how disappointed I am (only a little lol). My main point is to provoke conversation further about expectations going forward so devs may actually listen and realise the only reason the Nightborne is one of the most unpopular races is because what we were given was never and will never be considered to be a proper Nightborne.

I’ve been playing around with taking screenshots of my Nightborne while they are mid animation blinking and it shows the biggest improvement to the Nightborne. They could legit not give Nightborne any new customisation for another year and I’d be content with that as long as we were given the eye fix the Nightborne deserve. Have a look at some of the screenshots and try tell me that doesn’t make them instantly more playable:

https:// imgur .com/a/Lc0hhQX

I would rather have no working eye animation (since that seems to be the only reason they haven’t implemented this fix?) than continue on for another year looking like a Night Elf. Yes, the eyes are still not exactly like the NPCs, but its the closest we might ever get considering there is no way in hell Blizzard will redesign the entire model from scratch (even if that is what the Nightborne truly deserve).

Some other fixes/customisation would include (but aren’t necessary to be implemented immediately):

• Making the male Nightborne ears more like the NPCs. I mean c’mon, you changed the shape of the male Night Elf ears for the Nightborne model but didn’t even get the right proportions?
  • Fix the faces in general i.e. more sharp features and less dopey Night Elf looks.
  • There are other Nightborne hairstyles used by the NPCs that I would love to use that for some reason Blizzard forgot existed (i.e. Ly’leth’s hair)? Make your jobs easier and maybe refer to the actual Legion race for inspiration?
  • M A N A H A I R
  • Gold jewellery
  • And obviously the usual, more skin colours and hair colours etc.

Thanks for reading if you got this far, I don’t want Nightborne fixing discussions to blow out of proportion like High Elf discussions have, but the devs will never care if we just sit back and hope they figure it out themselves.

(Also if you have a look at Nightborne face 3 in the Wowhead dressing room, you’ll see something interesting. It’s what has boosted my confidence in Blizzard actually fixing this, but I’d rather it happen sooner rather than later … cough please not another year cough)

11 Likes

Support as always.

I don’t even see people talking about Nightborne that much and they are the least popular elf race by far.

And you may detest me for getting offtopic. But if we can give special treatment to Velves we should be allowed to give other allied races love.

Especially if it’s an unfinished one like Nightborne or one that misses some features for it’s core fantasy like Mechagnome.

3 Likes

Please. The only reason I don’t play any Nightborne characters is because the faces available for males are all, every single one of them, absolutely dreadful.

5 Likes

Tbf I go looking for Nightborne discussions daily just so I don’t lose hope, so that’s probably why I feel like it’s talked about more than it actually is lmao

No you’re good, and absolutely right! Void Elves get their nice Blood Elf skin tones, but Nightborne can’t have one tiny model fix that has been present since their release? :frowning: Don’t expect them to fix it instantly, but it would be nice if they’d hint at them working on it at the very least lol

Bruh honestly- the female Nightborne are just tolerable, but the males? Absolutely beyond unplayable.

It’s really sad though, because I’d love for you and everyone else to enjoy this great race (on paper), but no one likes how they look lol

You and I are the same. As soon as NB was announced as an allied race I immediattely grinded to unlock it and made one immediately. However their character model is sooo bad. The female NB for me is fine buuutt the male is sooo thin etc. that I only got one to max to get their heritage armor and shelved him lol. Hope they put in some more meat on the male NB :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They should have just given us the npc model or something of its level.

OP, I agree with all that. Heck… I would have even taken the bugged Male Nightborne faces that were on the PTR a bit back where they lost the scowl for a bit. They were still far from perfect, but losing that awful sneer did improve them somewhat.

Hear, hear! I believe Nightborne truly got the rub of it and deserve the MOST love out of any allied race to date! Enough Void Elf rubbish, this is the true fight we need to win!

As long as it’s only an option (and not a replacement) I would be fine with different body types. Don’t you take my thin boy away from me though. Their slim model is one of the reasons I fell in love with the race to begin with. The NPCs are just as slim, though a bit taller (and their shoulders/chest are not as wide).

Again, that said, I would be perfectly fine with a few body options to choose from at character creation.

2 Likes

Not a zero sum game, they can improve both with little effort.

We’ve had enough debate on that subject, the devs had heard A PLETHORA of examples for them. They need more on Nightborne

Nightborne just look like no name brand night elves.

Yea the NPC’s body proportion are much much better. I do not mind muscular slim/slender as well. But the current model is like starved thin lol.

1 Like

I think it mostly looks odd because they slimed down the waist to Nightborne NPC sizes (along with the arms and legs), and then started working on the chest. They seemed to have stopped halfway between normal male Night Elf chest and shoulders, and male Nightborne NPC chest and shoulders. The barrel chest and wide shoulders looks a little odd with the slim waist. Still, they were trying with the bodies and I can take them as is. The real offender is those horrible faces. :frowning:

Edit: Oh, and the ears bother me too. Why are they so thick? 0_o

Additional Edit: This isn’t my thread, but it kinda illustrates what I mean. https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/fqmlaf/nightborne_edit_by_silverleaf2520/

2 Likes

Man hair ?? like a mustache and beard :anguished:

I find it irritating how Nightelves now look more like Suramar Nightbournes compared to Nightbournes themselves.

This is sad.

3 Likes

This is the correct way to write this.

While we’re fixing them, give male nightborne a skimpier heritage set, blizzard! You damn cowards! When did they suddenly become shy?

3 Likes