"The Night Elves deserved it" - a conversation on another kind of villain batting

As the faction war has become increasingly black and white, a common concern that I’ve read around these forums has to do with the supposed dynamic that the Horde are being presented as the bad guys whereas the Alliance can do no wrong. I’ve seen this statement become more and more aggressive, with this sort of “how would you like it” attitude being thrown at Alliance posters who are trying to resolve the Alliance’s issue of being struck hard in the beginning, and then being denied satisfactory catharsis for that hit (typically accompanied by a series of denials and arguing-down when the Alliance poster replies that they would like “the villain bat” anyway, provided that they could actually hit back).

To summarize - the Alliance, or parts of it, may look weak (even if that’s a problem with the presentation doing an awful job of representing the canon) but AT LEAST they are the morally-pure heroes in this story, right?

Well, my participation in a recent thread on Quel’thalas got me thinking once more about a possible exception to this rule: the Night Elves, who I will argue often DO get villain batted in order to instigate or mold faction conflict. I see this taking place in three ways, either:

• As root causes for the conflict
  • As foils for the “good characters”
  • Through racial flaws

Before I proceed, I will say that not all of these developments I would call “bad” (although most of them are). Differentiating the bad from the good I would argue involves questions such as “are the reasons for this controversy understandable and explained?” If an actor takes an immoral action for an established reason that the audience can connect with, we can still recognize said action as immoral while having a believable tie to it. If they just do those things because the narrative needs them to do it on the other hand, especially if their reasons are not explained, we have a problem - and we’ll get into that later.

Causes and Contributing Factors - "They made us do it"

The first manner that Night Elves are villain batted is that they undertake some action that causes the Horde to want to come attack them. Examples include:

• Ashenvale: The Horde’s reasons for wanting to take Ashenvale have been repeatedly articulated throughout the game, but this notably evolved in Cataclysm into an argument that the Night Elves weren’t just denying the Horde lumber, but also letting them starve. What I want to note here is that while the Horde’s side of this issue is fully fleshed out, appearing in multiple instances of transmedia narrative and presented several times in the game itself, the Night Elves are never allowed to articulate their position. While this matter presents itself as a controversy here, the narrative itself doesn’t treat it that way.

• Quel’thalas: As I discussed in the Quel’thalas thread, the reasons for the Night Elves being in Quel’thalas are never articulated, because those reasons are not the point. The writer intent there was to have the Night Elves act as bad guys for the Blood Elves in order to underline the animosity between those two races and to get Blood Elf players to see Night Elves as their enemy. I want to also point out that Sylvanas mentions this historical animosity as a supporting reason for attacking the Night Elves in A Good War, and this animosity becomes a major motivator for Lorash in the same novella. While this event isn’t specifically represented there, it is just about the only straight-up conflict that features it - and the telling of it is one-sided in favor of establishing the Night Elves as being in the wrong.

• EK Inaction: One of the more substantial retcons that has taken place recently is the removal of the idea that Kalimdor and the EK largely didn’t know about each other until recently - with Cenarius’s confusion of the Orcs with demons being changed to secret Night Elven spies being aware of the Horde from Warcraft 1 and 2, and warning him on that basis. One of the things thrown in with that is the idea that the Night Elves disinterestedly watched things go to hell in a handbasket during the first two wars, rather than not knowing about them as had previously been the case. More than one character references this as reasons for hating them - once again, the Night Elf position is not made clear.

• Azshara: This one is more on the metanarrative side, but it’s also one that pits the trolls in particular against the Kaldorei but not against the Sin’dorei, even though the latter has more of a history with them. This is that Night Elves uniquely catch blame for the actions of Azshara and her empire, despite that they overthrew and replaced said system, and as the successor societies that tacked closer to Azshara’s way of doing things are largely spared the blame.

Narrative foils

The second manner in which Night Elves are often villain-batted has to do with their representation as the party that needs to be corrected by the hero figure.

• Leyara: I mentioned that during Cataclysm, the Night Elf position on Ashenvale largely wasn’t represented. Leyara is the closest that we could have gotten to a representation of their side of the issue, but the devs evidently thought that Leyara and the Druids of the Flame would make a better cardboard cut-out villain for the Cenarion Circle to have to put down. There’s no point at which this leads anyone among the Cenarion Circle to have to think about their position towards what’s going on in Ashenvale, or think about whether their role as protectors of nature is potentially compromised by working with a faction that is actively destroying a forest that they once would have protected. Leyara is simply evil, and the Cenarion Circle is good for putting her down.

• Tyrande, she who must be corrected - Faction War Edition: For some time, I have watched Horde posters salivate over the idea of Tyrande becoming a raid boss. Blizzard likes to wheel her out to verbally abuse (but not actually attack) Horde players, but more recently, through the theming of the Night Warrior paired with Blizzard’s typical penchant for making her look unreasonable, she was for a time presented as being on the wrong side of the Alliance’s moral direction, most notably with the confrontation in the Stormwind embassy over the peace treaty. While players can suggest that Tyrande is probably right, the scene paints her as being the “darker” disruptive figure as Anduin lectures her on why the path that she’s taking is wrong. In this patch, Tyrande appears to be getting her motivations lobotomized away in favor of “renewal”, but the Night Warrior previously existed to cast-as-evil the Night Elf cause of wanting to strike back over Teldrassil.

• Tyrande, she who must be corrected - Nightborne Edition: In Warcraft 3, upon encountering Kael’thas Sunstrider, Tyrande acted cordially and selflessly in order to assist the Blood Elves. In Legion, meanwhile, the character comes off as a jerk towards the Nightborne. Now we can argue as to whether her position could be justified, but the two elements I would again point out are a) the writers gave her or the Night Elves no opportunity to advance or argue for their position - it was simply cast as wrong, and b) the point of this seems to have been to paint Liadrin and the Blood Elves as the reasonable party. Again, I don’t care who you think was right here, my point is that the authorial intent again appears to have been to villainize Night Elves in order to elevate the moral standing of another party.

Traits

The final manner in which Night Elves are often villainized comes in the form of traits that they are stated to have.

• Pride/Arrogance: This is probably the one that bothers me the most because while the narrative insists that it exists, it doesn’t demonstrate how. We have victims of natural disasters justifying their own deaths on the basis that their arrogance somehow did this. We have Tyrande flirting with blaming her own pride for the War of the Thorns, which, what? I have to wonder if it’s pride or extreme self-consciousness, but either way, this item is used as an attack line on the Night Elves quite frequently.

• Xenophobia: Like Pride, I don’t see this one represented terribly often in game. As far as the recruitment of major races go, for example - Night Elves ran the table on welcoming races into the Alliance until MOP and simply don’t have a terrible number of stock lines or quest lines that suggest that they just hate foreigners. I wouldn’t mind seeing this trait of course - not all of the items listed are “bad” as I established before - but a) it’s simply stated to exist, and b) it continues to fit in the category of items being discussed.

• Anti-magic sentiment = Bigotry: I’m not sure how much of this has to do with the current cultural moment, but I have watched as concern over the use of arcane magic evolved from the four rules of arcane magic (remember those?), to the Night Elves’ prohibition on it, to arcane magic being described as having a global-warming-like-effect on the ley lines (where if overuse continued, Azeroth would suffer the same fate as the Netherstorm - this was the cause for the Nexus war) - to a rather significant pivot. The Highborne returning to Night Elf society could have been the springboard for some really good internal conflict (for notes - see Deus Ex: Human Revolution). Instead, Wolfheart painted those who didn’t like the arcane as murderous extremists, and while yes, Maiev’s actions got swept under the rug, the race in general picked them up, and did so in a particular way as noted earlier with the Nightborne. The thing I want to draw a line under is that arcane magic went from a power source that everyone viewed as dangerous to something resembling an immutable characteristic, at least in how it was framed, in order to make this attack line work.

What are the issues?

As I mentioned before, I don’t see all of these developments as bad, although most of them are. I should probably add here as well that no, these items do not reach the level to which the Horde has been villain-batted. But I do want to note something. When the Horde gets villain batted, we nevertheless get a lot of content getting into the reasons for why they’re doing what they’re doing - and some of that was on display here with the motives for Saurfang and Sylvanas going to war - leading to the “Night Elves deserve this” claim, as it intersects with those motives. There has been a consistent theme on the other hand with Night Elf villainization:

Blizzard doesn’t usually bother to explain it, or more importantly, let the Night Elves’ share their side of the story. Why do they feel so strongly about the arcane? We can point to reasons, but no Night Elf will ever be allowed to tell us in a manner that makes their concern look like the other side of a valid controversy. Why did the Night Elves feel strong enough to boycott the Horde in Cataclysm? We don’t know, they just did. Why were Night Elves in Quel’thalas? No one knows, they just were. Does Tyrande have a point about the Horde? Is Anduin potentially wrong? The framing suggests otherwise.

The point I am making is that Night Elf villainization appears to happen because the Night Elves are not agents in the plot. They largely exist, in this manner and in others, for the benefit of other races’ stories. That’s why their position on these things is almost never explained, and why in some cases it leaves people scratching their heads. For the Horde, they exist to establish a layer of justifiability for the Horde going to war, or at least enough to give the faction diehards a cassis belli. For much of the Alliance, they exist to provide the Alliance motivation for striking back, but also a contrast against the anointed good moral centers of the Alliance when Blizzard realizes that they need to wind the conflict down now. The end result? Well, to put it this way: people often underline the Alliance as the “hero” faction - who go out, fight the bad guy, and come out morally unstained. But Night Elves are an exception to this. They are never the heroes - they exist to make others’ heroic stories possible. Other than that? They are used as nothing more than narrative tools.

17 Likes

The night elves aren’t portrayed as the villain here. The Shattering explicitly mentions trade between the Horde and the night elves until the Wrathgate Incident. They were open to the exchange of goods with the Horde until members of the Horde proved to be treacherous. Garrosh’s response to the cessation is framed as an aggressive, unreasonable resource war–he blames the night elves for a resource shortage, but the narrative frames that as a narrow-minded perspective. And the night elf side is fleshed out through Elerethe’s interactions with Hamuul. They’re distrustful of the Horde because of the Wrathgate, but are willing to resume trade if certain assurances are made. Garrosh, however, isn’t interested in that. He’ll take what he believes the orcs need by force, without pandering to night elven sensibilities through diplomacy. He’s clearly the villain of the Cata-era Ashenvale conflict, not the night elves.

The night elves in the blood elf starting experience are there explicitly to create a juxtaposition between the two–there’s not a story there because the intent is to introduce the blood elves in the questing experience as the night elf antithesis–nothing more, nothing less. When it comes to an expanded relationship between blood elves and night elves, it’s erroneous to say “the telling of it is one-sided” because the majority of the lore we got on the Exile of the Highborne before TBC was from the perspective of the night elves.

The night elves weren’t disinterestedly watching–they were active participants in the Eastern Kingdoms’ affairs. During the Third War, we know they tried to discern the origin of the plague and were attempting to find solutions for it. Well before that, we know they were also involved in the containment of saronite deposits in the Eastern Kingdoms through use of the Great Trees. Yes, it’s a retcon–but it hardly paints the night elves in an inactive role. Both mentioned instances of their involvement in the affairs of the Eastern Kingdoms has them working for the benefit of it’s inhabitants–the rest is a fill in the blank: we don’t know how active they were in any other part of Eastern Kingdom history because Blizzard hasn’t clarified that point yet.

Trolls historically haven’t distinguished between night elves and high/blood elves–that distinction is a recent occurrence with the admission of elves into the Horde. You are correct saying that trollish animosity extends back to the conflicts that occurred during Azshara’s reign, but for trolls, the distinction between night elf commoner and quel’dorei hasn’t mattered. It was the night elf empire that spanked their metaphorical butts. Therefore, the night elves were to blame. The high/blood elves are direct descendants of those same elves, so they were also to blame. For most of trollkind, for most of history–an elf was an elf, purple or pale, they could all go to hell. The animosity towards the blood elves is really only exacerbated by the Amani, who, just as an FYI, still have a pretty big list of grievances with the blood elves, as evident by questing in Zandalar. And that is in large part influenced by relatively contemporary issues between the blood elves and the Amani. The rest of trollkind seems to be willing to adopt a similar perception of elves to the Darkspear: a decreasing concern about ancient elf vs. troll grudges and an increasing concern about whose on what side of the modern dualistic geopolitical conflict.

Edit: I’ll address the rest later–I have a moonkin hatchling who just woke up from his nap.

27 Likes

I don’t think the Leyara comparison really works because while she was villained up, she’s not done as a representative of night elves as a whole. Even if she had shared grievances with other night elves, she defected from her own people to join a doomsday cult to attack them all. Because of that, I don’t see it as “night elves being villain batted” through her. Benedictus is a similar example. He wasn’t attacking the horde in the name of the alliance; he turned on everybody in the name of the old gods.

Garrosh and Sylvanas are different because their villainy was done in the horde’s name and while they were still members of it. They WERE representatives of their races because of the on-screen splits where they retained followers who were also fighting for the horde.

39 Likes

Remember when we turned in the quest that involved the Burning of Teldrassil to Anduin and got his opinion on the matter? And Tyrande was nowhere to be seen until the next patch where she goes all “ELUNE WHERE WERE YOU”

That summarises how Blizzard sees night elves for the most part- as tools to drive their favorite character’s plots. There are some exceptions, but it has largely been true in WoW.

8 Likes

Honestly this has been an issue for most races.

I miss when the big names only showed up sporadically and you got more focus on the Horde/Alliance group you were working with at the time.

12 Likes

Leyara joined the cult because Malfurion wouldn’t listen to her to strike back against the Horde. It is not very different because it leads to the idea that wanting to fight or wanting revenge against the Horde is a villainous thought. Tyrande was mostly spared it but not before she did her “renewal” heelturn.

3 Likes

We’re also aware that the Night Elves crossed the ocean to visit the Eastern Kingdoms during the Troll Wars, assisting the exiled High Elves against the united Trolls. Shandris was one such person who crossed over, so it wasn’t a token regiment filled with nobodies either.

11 Likes

Yet somehow night elves never get both ends of the tradeoff, do they? Blood elves hate night elves for not being involved in their wars and not caring about them, and trolls hate night elves for historical reasons.
Which one is it?

1 Like

But this is not a characterization that makes it to the game, meaning that it functionally isn’t portrayed. The Horde’s position, on the other hand, is portrayed frequently and even given voiced lines.

This does not undo the positioning of the Night Elves as villains in this scenario - and the controversy around which this is one-sided is not the exile of the Highborne, as you’ve tried to reframe it to be, but the spying itself.

I would argue that these points are once again interesting bits of trivia that aren’t well portrayed. Meanwhile, once again, inaction is cited as a reason for the Blood Elves in particular to have a problem with the Night Elves, notwithstanding the BFA-era retcon that Night Elves were somehow involved in the Troll wars (which of course the Blood Elves don’t mention) - but is something that as Faranoth has indicated becomes more ammunition for the trolls to see them as villains.

I find it extremely convenient for the Horde that the trolls ignore that the blood elves are the direct descendants of the Highborne, that the blood elves ignore the night elven support in the Troll Wars and thereafter, and that the trolls then use “Azshara/Highborne era” as the justification for hatred against night elves.
And that the night elves never use any of their numerous past grievances against the Horde until Teldrassil happened.

1 Like

Your point was that they were the villain. They aren’t. Even in-game it’s portrayed as an aggressive resource war.

They are no name villains in a low level quest without context. That’s hardly earth shattering. Every race has played that role. Night elves far less so than most others.

You were talking about historical animosity, which isn’t presented as one sided at all. The presentation of the animosity from the perspective of the blood elves in the questing scenario is because it’s a blood elf intro quest. Complaining that the night elf perspective isn’t illustrated in the blood elf starting zone as one of the reasons they’ve been unjustly narrated is peak meme.

The chief reason blood elves hate the night elves because they exiled their ancestors–I can’t believe that has to be stated explicitly. The blood elves may have held a prejudice against the night elves as passive observers when it comes to world affairs, but we continuously and increasingly see the opposite portrayed in the narrative, which would lead us to conclude that the blood elves’ perception isn’t rooted in observation, but implicit bias: a hissy fit as a result of being kicked out of the house. Seems like a point in favor of the night elves and against the blood elves, tbqh.

10 Likes

Night Elves are pompous and really do deserved to be knocked down a bit.

You want me to care about their tree that only existed as a physical manifestation of night elf pride and ego.

10 Likes

Ding Ding Ding.

I’d be mad too if some rando showed up and told me that he was creating a theocratic dictatorship headed by him and his wife, and I could accept that and throw away all of the arcane skills I spent my life honing or be forced from my homeland.

12 Likes

The Highborne way of life caused the sundering and demon invasion.

What would have been the alternative? Night Elves go back to doing what they did before? The Well this time being on top of a mountain instead of a lake.

2 Likes

I think it’s irrelevant to argue whether or not the exile was justified–it’s merely a statement of fact that the animosity blood elves have for night elves is because of the exile. Anything else is derivative from that source of enmity.

21 Likes

True from their biased side they would feel justified but what about on a meta level?

Was it the right move or not?

1 Like

Can anyone tl;dr me, I just see a few odd points and try reading but my eyes glaze over.

Considering they were given countless chances and were exiled upon setting the forest aflame in a mini-uprising, I’d say so.

3 Likes

Sure

Because:

1 Like

I disagree with this stance. While you can argue that it is not prominent and not in game, it certainly is portrayed in a functional way. One can read it and learn if they care to. And it is canon lore stuff. Just because it is not in game does not rule it out as part of the story.

We have had the same discussion about the Night Elves being in Hyjal. Just because it happens in a book and not in game, people wish to exclude it from Night Elf story progression.

Such arguments might as well claim that Cairne is not functionally dead because he was killed in a book, not in game, and therefore Cairne’s death isn’t part of Tauren lore.

If one cherry picks the content they wish to include, they will reach the conclusion they seek.

10 Likes

I discount content that only is portrayed in books or transmedia narrative in general upon the same principle - that most of the audience doesn’t see it, and even among those who do, the impact isn’t there.

A discussion on story does not end at a discussion of text. The storytelling I would argue is more critical - and if the storytelling is biased towards providing a certain perspective or leaving the audience with a certain impression, that matters more than an extraneous fact that an author may toss in as an aside.

1 Like