The new Guild UI and Permissions...yikes (Part 1)

See, this is why things get ugly on the forums. Legitimate problems are brought up, and the sole response from a Blizzard employee is "Hi there, we're extending the post limit", which frankly isn't a response at all.

A reasonably acceptable response from Blizzard would contain an admission that this is a problem, a statement that it will be worked on, and possibly even some rough estimate as to when they think they might be able to get out a fix.

But oh no. Communication is apparently too hard for these folks. They just send out the poor guy who agreed to do Community Management and let him take the heat. No wonder they run through CMs faster than Kleenex.
We asked for an update on the antiquated guild UI and got something we can hardly even use. We didn't ask for voice or any of these other community features (which are poorly implemented, at best). Just a useable, manageable guild UI that we can customize.

And the response was to lock it down even further? Why?

I'd suggest using a little common sense and diverting resources to things we've been giving feedback on for years. Offline member management (invites, messaging, and such), more flexible permissions, etc.

We have voice chat. We don't need your crappy VoIP. Rather than try to reinvent the wheel, why not work with someone who's done this before? Or just scrap it and let us use our the communications as normal, which we're going to do anyway. There are better solutions out there—competing with those existing programs is a wasted effort. We told you in beta this was a crap idea.

Also, I understand CMs do a lot of running around and have a lot of topics to manage, but why is something like this getting buried?
08/29/2018 09:01 PMPosted by Chauve
We have voice chat. We don't need your crappy VoIP. Rather than try to reinvent the wheel, why not work with someone who's done this before?

Discord has gone out of its way to integrate the game experience as much as possible, you're right--why hasn't Blizz reached out and embraced what we already use?

08/29/2018 10:42 AMPosted by Randomly
Also for users wanting better visibility into join/leave activity as well as a few other bells and whistles, I use Guild Roster Manager. It's not as good as the now defunct Guild Warden, but it's not terrible. If only I could find someone willing to resurrect Guild Warden....

I'll second both of those statements, GRM is what I use now as well--but sure would like to see GW make a comeback--which is more likely than Blizz ever acknowledging this issue, much less correcting it.

08/29/2018 04:21 PMPosted by Eccentricah
See, this is why things get ugly on the forums. Legitimate problems are brought up, and the sole response from a Blizzard employee is "Hi there, we're extending the post limit", which frankly isn't a response at all.

A reasonably acceptable response from Blizzard would contain an admission that this is a problem, a statement that it will be worked on, and possibly even some rough estimate as to when they think they might be able to get out a fix.

They've extended the cap twice now... but what else, as Guild Masters are we doing aside from venting here in the forums? I, for one, am submitting a bug report every time I manage anything for my guild.

If they won't listen to us here, maybe they'll listen in-game...

I'm doing the same thing for the database lag issue affecting guild-bank / auction-house / vendor-mounts... They've known about that issue since October 2017...

So here we sit, holding our breath...
Edit own public note was added in at the same time as the guild chat speak permission node. Edit own public note should be a rank permission and toggle-able as such.

The rank permissions that were consolidated under "IsOfficer" should be unbundled, and we should be able to run our guilds with the same permissions and granularity we've had for years until these changes were made.
1 Like
That moment you say it was a mistake.. yet it lives on 2 weeks into the expansion.

Sure it was, nice damage control there Blue.
07/24/2018 05:18 PMPosted by Ythisens
07/24/2018 01:59 PMPosted by Restomak
We're at 23 pages now, and I suspect this thread will soon get locked without a page extension by Blizzard. I'm going to bump my own post made about this very exact topic. Feel free to continue there if this gets locked.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20766206706

This isn't needed as I've extended the thread cap on this one. Thanks guys!

ya thanks for nothing.
08/30/2018 02:19 PMPosted by Snórri
07/24/2018 05:18 PMPosted by Ythisens

This isn't needed as I've extended the thread cap on this one. Thanks guys!

ya thanks for nothing.

This is unhelpful, at best. Be productive and list out what and why you want changed.
08/30/2018 02:29 PMPosted by Hathlo
08/30/2018 02:19 PMPosted by Snórri

ya thanks for nothing.

This is unhelpful, at best. Be productive and list out what and why you want changed.
We're up to 70 pages on this thread. There's nothing more to list. How about they come talk to us instead and exchange ideas presented in this thread?
Feature: Edit Guild Info.

How my wife uses it: It's a summary of when we were founded, our Discord info, our Facebook address, and explanation of ranks (which is now inaccurate due to new changes). Due to abuse by former officers in 2007, this has been exclusively GM controlled since 2008.

Workaround: Nobody else is an officer at the moment. This power is under tight watch until we can get things fixed. A daily conversation, typically 10-15 min. in length, regarding the "complete and total breaking of how I can't control things the way I want" is levied upon me in which I am required to agree with any salient points.

Even when I'm in the middle of building a new Magic: The Gathering EDH deck, which causes an occasional lapse in agreement that extends the lecture by 5-7 minutes and causes "wife aggro".

Blizzard.
I'm lookin' at you here.
Feature: Edit Guild Info.

How my wife uses it: It's a summary of when we were founded, our Discord info, our Facebook address, and explanation of ranks (which is now inaccurate due to new changes). Due to abuse by former officers in 2007, this has been exclusively GM controlled since 2008.

Workaround: Nobody else is an officer at the moment. This power is under tight watch until we can get things fixed. A daily conversation, typically 10-15 min. in length, regarding the "complete and total breaking of how I can't control things the way I want" is levied upon me in which I am required to agree with any salient points.

Even when I'm in the middle of building a new Magic: The Gathering EDH deck, which causes an occasional lapse in agreement that extends the lecture by 5-7 minutes and causes "wife aggro".

Blizzard.
I'm lookin' at you here.
08/29/2018 01:51 PMPosted by Mathrenas
There is no amount of feedback that I can give that hasn't been stated twelve times over in this thread, and at this point it's looking like an echo chamber of lost hope. Please revert the changes, then look into improving. Improving means giving more options without lumping them all under one category, allowing more player control of what they've created.
This is exactly what I was looking to say.

I don't want Blizz to think I've given up and am okay with these changes, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to keep coming here and posting the same thing over and over.

People have been posting so many amazing ideas for improving guild management that I truly hope someone at Blizz is paying attention. Right now I'd be happy just to have the permissions unbundled, but a lot of these ideas have been making me want more. They make me feel like, if we had those abilities and functions, I could turn my guild into something more than a tiny friends and family outfit. Maybe we could even actually do content together.

But the way things stand now? Nah. I don't need that kind of headache.
The changes to guild management were rebuilt with the new community features and that is the reason why the current guild permissions are not as flexible as they once were.

Here is a comparison of what we have now and what we had before communities were introduced.
https://i.imgur.com/JYNV0S7.png

For me the changes have clumped together in such a way that ranks are either an "officer" or "not an officer".
In the past I was able to finely tweak each of the ranks based on what sort of guildy they were.
  • Assistant Guild Master - full control of everything as I trusted them totally
  • Guild Officer - could not modifyg guild info and chnange bank permissions
  • Guild Seargent - could not see officer chat, see officer notes, demote and remove guild members
  • Guild Corporal - could not promote guild members and reduced access to remove items on certain bank tabs
  • Guild Private - could not create/edit guild events and edit public notes
  • New Recruit - could not invite members, deposit only access to the guild bank no guild repairs
  • Guild Stockade - (sin bin) could not speak in chat and no bank access

• Also I note that in communities we have the ability to not only ban players it is an account wide ban, something that has long been desired by guilds and players.

If this functionality is now possible can we please have the ability to not only ignore a character but also the option to ignore the whole account.
    3 Likes
    08/31/2018 05:36 AMPosted by Walkerbo
    Also I note that in communities we have the ability to not only ban players it is an account wide ban, something that has long been desired by guilds and players.

If this functionality is now possible can we please have the ability to not only ignore a character but also the option to ignore the whole account.
    This would be very useful both for guilds and for teaching players to modify their behavior. If you can just make another character and continue as before, there's little incentive to change. Knowing that your entire account can be flagged by a guild as belonging to someone who didn't fit in would go much further to improve player behavior.

I feel like most GM's have given up on Blizzard making any substantial changes or improvements and are just using outside sources for their work-arounds. It's a shame, really. There's so much more guilds could do for the game if Blizzard would take heed to some of the many great suggestions in this thread.
    I wonder how many people even use the community thing. We set it up but it ended there. We all use discord, and people seem to like that better.
    '=
    Beyond the permissions issue, the other issue is you can't quickly sort to see how long it has been since people have been online, and I've yet to figure out how to view professions. I've had to use the /guildroster to bring up the old roster just so I can get the information I need.

Not sure why after 70 pages blizzard hasn't responded with what their plan is to fix the issues, but my guess is they are just waiting for people to adapt and move on.
    Ugh, sorry for the double post, Bliz. The 500 error really messed things up for me and now I can't even delete the duplicate.

Just hoping for some clue or tidbit on if this is on Blizz's radar and if so, where are they on it?
    It'd be nice to have an update. A lot of feedback has been given.

Basically: Unbundle the "is officer" permissions, and give us optional persistent chat.
    I see we are now on page 70 at this rate it's going to need to be extended a third time.... I wonder if we'll get a response that consists of substance instead of just a thank you we are extending.....
    Bump... Zzzzz....
    I was just thinking about how nice it would be to have granular officer controls again, figured I'd let you guys know.
    70 pages and they still want discussion? lol