The new Guild UI and Permissions...yikes (Part 1)

10/22/2018 01:41 PMPosted by Druunah
10/22/2018 01:04 PMPosted by Venjin
You will be henceforth recognized by the special rank of Godfather, should you ever join our Guild.

Nice offer!

(Umm...If I join your guild can I haz a cookie?) =D

Maxs, our friendly neighborhood Warlock, doles out cookies on a pretty regular basis. You're more than welcome to help yourself =)
I've been on the road all day, but now that I'm back at my nice, homey desk, I have a chance to look up another post to highlight.

This is a post-in-a-post. The first is a guild master saying what he doesn't like and giving some scenarios as to why. The second is a suggestion for how those scenarios could be prevented (if Blizzard opted toward prevention) plus another request for an overhaul of the recruitment system. Both of these are on page 38.
07/29/2018 01:00 PMPosted by Carthorinn
07/29/2018 11:35 AMPosted by Greenstone
1. Revert the permission changes.
2. Fix all the issues with inviting, seems the new UI has a bug with it.
3. Make sure that you untie tie communities permissions from guild permissions.

There are too many negative things that a community could be used for:

If a guild member decides to make a community for pugging raids and says its sponsored by his guild and that they will bring people into raids through it but only for gold. This could be done in secret and could damage a guild's rep.

If a guild member decides to do something underhanded like sharing game exploits in game in their private community and somehow they tie it into their guild without their GM's knowing about it. The guild could be punished for this without being a part of it.

Not to mention the worse things that could be added into communities like people selling/trading illegal items such as drugs, sex, child !@#$, credit card numbers and so on. Since you are basically creating these communities in game you will become responsible for the actions of those users if they commit a real world crime.

There are many doors that open with the community groups but there are some that could damage the overall game structure.

Its nice when people use Discord outside of the game its not controlled by Blizzard and basically outside communities have no real way of effecting guild reps but within the game lots of issues can occur.

In any case I tend to look at the negative side of this because after eight years of being a GM and ten years of playing the game I know human nature is not always on the bright and good side.

For the situation you mentioned with the guildy making a community for raiding and claiming guild sponsorship. It would be nice if they had a verification thing where you could have the GM "verify" it.... Kinda like social media with celebrity pages where it shows verified and official page of whoever. But yeah some applications of communities are going to be toxic with no oversight.

They also need to overhaul the recruiting system it's dated, clunky, and practically useless. We do need our permissions seperated again how they were. The way it is now is just too much and giving them access to MoTD and guild info makes me cringe. I mean I trust my current officers but makes me semi hesitant to promote new ones for sure
This train wreck of a guild system is still live.

I am embarrassed for you, Blizzard.

Start listening to your player base.

NO ONE likes this new system. It's crap.

Yet you keep it live after all this time.

Shame. Maybe if you had a clue, you wouldn't be losing all those subs.
One of the many things that never got fixed, just like the forums. :\ We all see how long it's been since the forums were left like this.
With level 1's posting now, it's pretty much assured we're dead in the water...trolls/forum denizens just now care about whose post will be the one that pushes our thread to 100 pages...we've been completely co-opted...
10/22/2018 05:55 PMPosted by Cheheals
With level 1's posting now, it's pretty much assured we're dead in the water...trolls/forum denizens just now care about whose post will be the one that pushes our thread to 100 pages...we've been completely co-opted...
I'm still failing to understand why it matters what avatar a player chooses to post on. They have a right to express their opinions regardless of which character they choose for such expression. And they're staying on topic (or at least I'm not seeing anything wildly off-topic, except perhaps, posts about what character a player posts on). How is this thread being "co-opted"?

Staying on-topic--here is another suggestion from page 38 with which I heartily agree:
07/29/2018 01:05 PMPosted by Carthorinn
It would also be nice since the window is so big now if they made it movable.
I have to say, I'm ALWAYS trying to grab that window and shift it out of my way. Let us resize it, too, while you're at it.

I am a GM of a guild. I just didn't notice I posted on this toon. Relax.

In fact, I am one of the original posters when this thread was made.
1 Like
10/22/2018 08:50 PMPosted by Omghai

I am a GM of a guild. I just didn't notice I posted on this toon. Relax.

In fact, I am one of the original posters when this thread was made.

No way to verify the truth in that...it's not important. Doesn't change the truth in what I said however. The majority of the posts on this thread, match my description. Guys with 15k posts try to tell us it's not important that they aren't guild leaders...then you look at how passionate they are about shammy totems or azurite talents, or any other forum topic.

Mostly what you notice is their complete and absolute disdain for positivity and any joy in the value of playing. They don't care about the guild UI anymore than they do any other topic which they can criticize the game about. We are now trapped in the lie being told that Blizz has not responded to us and they don't care. Numerous MVP and Blue posts on this and yes, other threads disprove that fallacy...but still they persist in spreading negativity that Blizz doesn't care about our concerns...kind of like the same things they say about every other topic they comment on in these forums. Do your own research; see who posts here the most; are they guild leaders or forum post leaders?
Shouldn't matter; if they want to pride themselves on remaining top-notch, they can pick the wheat outta the chaff and see that there's an actual problem. And there's nothing we can do to stop anyone from posting anything anywhere, and they know that as well.

My best guess is that the guild ui is somehow currently intrinsically smorshed into the communities whatchamajobber and they'll have to do a root canal to un-hamfist the whole thing. Why they can't just say so is a tad baffling. Or they have no plans to do so but don't want to say so because they know people will throw up their hands and walk away, when the current business model seems to be "eke seconds and pennies out of them". If you want to go work on Overflaps, hire your own replacement who actually wants to work on WoW and go do it. >.>
10/22/2018 09:58 PMPosted by Cheheals
Mostly what you notice is their complete and absolute disdain for positivity and any joy in the value of playing. They don't care about the guild UI anymore than they do any other topic which they can criticize the game about.

With all due respect.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but from my perspective, you don't exactly seem to be the pinnacle of (as you put it) positivity.

So far all I personally have seen from you is personal opinions, and (thus far) unsubstantiated rumors and accusations (as well as near personal attacks on other posters here)

You can't just make claims without something better than "do your own research" to back them up.

If you want to convince people that what you say it true (and I'm not saying it isn't) you'll have to provide your own proof, as in all honesty, it's doubtful anyone will do as you want and "do their own research"

You also stated "They don't care about the guild UI anymore than they do any other topic"

That's your opinion. Mine differs. I think almost everyone here is passionate about the broken guild ui or they wouldn't still be posting here (especially after nearly 100 pages and several months)

That takes persistence.

Honestly, after that many pages everyone has pretty much already posted their concerns, suggestions, ideas etc...multiple times. There is bound to be criticism when the response from Blizzard has been lackluster at best.

You also said "We are now trapped in the lie being told that Blizz has not responded to us"

I don't believe anyone said Blizzard hasn't responded at all. People know that Blizzard made a couple of responses. People are saying that they are unhappy at Blizzard's lack of a response meaning what responses they HAVE given are totally inadequate in their view. "We are aware of the issue" is hardly going to keep people desperate for their guilds to be repaired happy for long.

I myself made the statement many pages ago that no matter the changes to the game, some I have not particularly liked over the years, "I always believed Blizzard had my back. Until now"
There is a reason I (as well as others) feel that way and Blizzard needs to know it.

Should we instead be making posts like "Yay! Blizz broke our guilds! (They didn't even tell us they were going to!) Woo Whoo!! Now we'll all just sit back, say nothing meaningful about it or how we feel on the subject, and hope that they fix the problem! Someday. Maybe. We hope."

And finally you said "...but still they persist in spreading negativity that Blizz doesn't care about our concerns..."

After months the best Blizzard has come up with is in way of response to the guild ui issue is basically to state: "We are aware of the problem" (as well as that they are aware of this post)

Of course that makes it look to many like Blizzard doesn't care. To coin a phrase: If you do your research, and check previous posts here, there are many posters practically and quite literally, begging Blizzard to respond to this issue in a more meaningful way. Blizzard didn't just break our guilds, they did it without a word about what they were going to do. Then they refuse to give a more detailed response beyond saying that they are aware of the problem and aware of this thread.

Yes, that makes people a bit negative.

Forgive me if i'm mistaken, but all your recent posts seem to be attempting to throw a monkey wrench into this thread. If successful, you're potentially only messing up everyone's chances at a fix. (including your own)

I also do not see the point in you attacking the credibility of other posters here beyond something personal. No matter what you, I or anyone says, people of all sorts are going to post. Someone already said it, and it's true: Nothing you can say can stop that.

Please. Let's all work together here and get our guilds fixed so we can get back to killing murlocs, basilisks, and boars. (oh my!)
I just want to know when we'll be able to pay to change our guild names again. I was on a Band of Brothers marathon when I made my guild but now it just sounds like we're a bunch of loose prostitutes.
Lets not get too derailed here. Up until those posts started, this was probably the most unified I've ever seen an active forum thread around here. Well it still is actually - lets just stay on topic and ignore the troll accusations (which is ironic considering that's the only trolling happening here). This is the only time I'm going to respond to it at any rate.

Anyway, yeah... would like to see SOMETHING coming up for 9.1 by now. Anyone see any difference on the PTR?
10/23/2018 07:50 AMPosted by Tarayn
Lets not get too derailed here. Up until those posts started, this was probably the most unified I've ever seen an active forum thread around here. Well it still is actually - lets just stay on topic and ignore the troll accusations (which is ironic considering that's the only trolling happening here).

Well said Tarayn.

An unfed troll tends to go find other bridges to lurk under.

On to something more productive:

Posted by Greenstone
1. Revert the permission changes.
2. Fix all the issues with inviting, seems the new UI has a bug with it.
3. Make sure that you untie tie communities permissions from guild permissions.

Blizzard:
I think almost everyone here cold agree with these suggestions.

Also.

Carthorinn (I think) posted the following:

"They also need to overhaul the recruiting system it's dated, clunky, and practically useless. We do need our permissions seperated again how they were. The way it is now is just too much and giving them access to MoTD and guild info makes me cringe. I mean I trust my current officers but makes me semi hesitant to promote new ones for sure"

I for one agree.

The recruiting system has been near useless for years. It needs to be fleshed out. (Perhaps even with the ability to invite offline recruits?)

Just a thought.

As far as the current permissions go. I too trust my current group of officers. The problem I am having is that many of my officers are not "officer-ing" this xpac. Why? The xpac is either too broken for them, or they just plain don't like it. Sadly, for some, BfA is just not sitting well enough with them to justify renewing their subs.
I too cringe to think of promo'ing new people into those officer positions with the current state of guild permissions.

For these reasons and more, in our guild at least, any major recruitment effort is still on hold until a fix is evident.
10/22/2018 01:04 PMPosted by Venjin
10/22/2018 10:50 AMPosted by Xakopane
I have brought this up with Blizzard directly and will do so again. The best argument in favor of a reversion to how the permissions used to work is the Least Privilege argument. A sound, solid argument.

A doom upon whomsoever has wronged Xakopane in the past or whomsoever may do so in the future.

If I could invite you over for a cannoli and coffee, I would, and name you friend in doing so. You will be henceforth recognized by the special rank of Godfather, should you ever join our Guild.

That's a very kind offer!

If I receive any response I can print, I'll do so here. I have a feeling the response will be a Blizzard Soon(TM) and we'll wait as long as we have for the message board software to be replaced!
10/20/2018 07:02 PMPosted by Takoda
To whom it may concern:

As it is apparent that some enterprising individual, employed in some capacity at Blizzard Entertainment, has spent copious quantities of their personal effort perusing the works and passions of Lovecraft, one may assume, potentially erroneously, that it is possible the culture therein is spurred forward by ideologies expressed with extreme verbosity. If this does in fact prove to be the case, then I must forthwith pursue an argument that belies not just my erstwhile passions, but also those that cling to my bosom even into today. To that end, I must entreat the patience of my dear reader in the event that I fail to appeal adequately to a sense of curiosity and shared interests.

If I may presume to assume, however briefly, that my own motives and ambitions are broadly shared by the stalwart denizens of this thread, it is not remotely unusual that those of us who have undertaken leadership roles within our guilds continue to pursue our shared hobby for the purpose of furthering our respective communities and engaging in the casual socialization frequently enjoyed by close friends who have been acquainted with each other for many years. Furthermore, I do not believe I am alone in hearing from the members of my personal social circle that the only reason said members continue to engage in our shared hobby is precisely because of the social interactions provided by our little community. Therefore, I, as have seemingly many others, come to to the inescapable conclusion that our humble little guilds have over the years coalesced into a structure resembling the anatomical function of a spine, capable of bearing the strain of disagreement over the philosophies guiding the design decision making, and ensuring that players remain engaged and entertained regardless of the current status of the actual game. For myself, I can most firmly attest that the strength of my social bonds have carried more weight than my dissatisfaction with certain decisions of a design nature at crucial moments in the history of this game's development.

Given that our humble guilds have, via whatever meandering path, ended up in such a pivotal role in ensuring the ongoing health and success of our shared hobby, it is at best illogical, and at worst insidious, to undermine such institutions and detract from their capacity to adequately fulfill their designated role of community building. Despite this rather obvious line of logic, it does appear that Blizzard Entertainment is either entirely oblivious or possibly uncaring of the undue burden placed upon the humble leadership of these little communities by their recent updates, however innocent the intention, to the permissions structure. It is for this reason that I feel compelled to entreat that this situation be rectified with all due haste, as it has oft been stated the probability that Blizzard Entertainment is preoccupied with other matters of greater import is quite high. Over the lengthy duration of this issue, it has increased in urgency and import, and has reached a point where, in my humble belief, it now carries greater weight providing the benefit of prioritization.

This is my earnest entreaty, and my fondest hope is that Blizzard Entertainment will respond most favorably to this timid request.

With only the purest of intentions and the utmost respect,

Elder Takoda of Thunder Bluff, Chieftain of Army of Mulgore, Guardian of G'Hanir and Cenarius, the Dreamer, and Champion of the Frozen Wastes

<Raises full mug of ale, quaffs its entire content in one audible gulp, hurls the empty chalice against the farthest wall--shattering said vessel into crystalline splinters, calls forth a righteously vociferous (and slightly frothy) eructation>
Ayye! What SHE said! I shecond THAT!
I am very pleased a green is willing to stick out his neck for this topic. At this point, it is obvious that the majority of Blizzard that can make changes to our permissions, HAVE seen this thread. They have openly acknowledged it on various different occasions. That much we know for FACT.

Now we simply wait for any whisper of change. Which is NEEDED. The vibe within guilds has not been the same since pre-patch, and It is something I miss dearly.

10/23/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Xakopane
If I receive any response I can print, I'll do so here. I have a feeling the response will be a Blizzard Soon(TM) and we'll wait as long as we have for the message board software to be replaced!

Thank you Xakopane. you are my King.
Bumpy bump bump! Good to see the thread still strong, maybe light at the end of this tunnel. Every day this dosn't get fixed guilds suffer. Keep it up!
It's actually refreshing to know that this has been brought up in channels that we aren't privy to.

I'm starting to get questions about when our Officer ranks will be reinstated and would love to have answers.

#1981 Woot! Birthyear post!
10/23/2018 01:35 PMPosted by Delirium
Bumpy bump bump! Good to see the thread still strong, maybe light at the end of this tunnel. Every day this dosn't get fixed guilds suffer. Keep it up!

Del...real talk here. If I could take you on a xmog run for that helmet, I would. That thing looks hideous on you.
Here is a nice idea from page 39 about role based permissions (among other things):
07/29/2018 02:48 PMPosted by Apollor
For the past, what 10 years of WoW - I've been hoping for the day that the permissions would get an overhaul, so that they might actually be more useful, and more fine-grained controls.

Had to make do with the silly 'delete last created rank first' issue. That got fixed, and we could re-order them - which was a welcomed change.

We still had/have the annoying 'you have to empty the rank to turn-on 'Requires Authenticator" - Honestly this is like accepting a quest "you're currently mounted" just toggle the thing. If I turn on 'requires authenticator" pop a warning and say all those with will be dropped a rank - problem solved. But no.

I've always wanted a guild permissions panel more like a role based template - here's All the settings possible as a bunch of individual toggles. You make a Roll , set all the options that granting that role to a person would give them - and then you go and assign role(s) (yes- a person can be multiples) and their permissions become the result of all of those things turned on.

So you can have your pal John who is "a guildy", "a raider", "a raid-organiser", "an-officer" "bank-tidy-person" and they get the summation of permissions each of those roles grant.

When it comes to "Rank" - those should not be tightly coupled to permissions, but simply a guild-label so that others can easily see WHO is where in terms of "years of service" "smarty-pants" "twit" etc.

Anyway, at the end of the day I came here to see 40+ pages of people very-unhappy with a change, that I to am disappointed with - my main reason. "View and Edit Officer Note" and "Edit Public notes" are BOTH in the "is Officer" toggle.

Why... just.. why?

*sigh*

-A

OFF TOPIC: Is anyone else having trouble with their post history? I've not been finding my most recent posts in the history, which is making it more difficult for me to start my read-through where I left off.