The new Guild UI and Permissions...yikes (Part 1)

I was referring to the issue that Fumel raised:

Fumel is stating that he is unable to see applicants and that applicant history for his guild is not visible. I’m not sure how you conclude this is a data issue.

All we can do is speculate, but this sounds like a programming issue to me. I have no idea if the error is on the insertion of the data (creating a data problem) or in reading or displaying the data. The data doesn’t exist in a vacuum - it is handled programmatically. :woman_shrugging:

Regardless of what the root cause of the error is, neither of us know whether or not they’ve implemented any fixes for it in the pre-patch code and/or if they are working on it in the BFA code. Based on the ongoing issues with communities and guilds I’d be surprised if the code didn’t get some attention for Shadowlands, but yes, I’m speculating.

If you’re referring to the other issues with the ‘phantom members’ then yes, there appears to be a data issue, but it’s a bit puzzling because if it was simply a matter of extraneous database entries they should be able to clean it up with a few sql statements. In one of my guilds we had 6 blank entries and one indicating it was from another server. Assuming this was a database issue, finding and removing the entries would/should be fairly simple (data in certain columns would be missing or incorrect), which is part of what would lead me to guess that something was amiss programmatically.

In any event, going off topic could be used as an excuse to close the thread, so let’s hope that they eventually fix our permissions (and that your data issues are resolved, regardless of what the root cause is!) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As was I. The guilds that have the issue seem to have duplicate records in the armory, and can only be found with exact capitalization, which indicates to me that their back end data is somehow wonky. You are correct, it indicates a problem with the programming as well, and I think the issue can be solved by fixing either (though many years as a DBA lead me to believe that fixing the data is both faster and safer).

You are right that we must be careful not to stray too far from the topic (though this still affects guilds and the guild ui, not showing applicants). And I join you in hoping fervently that all of this gets solved with the shadowlands prepatch.

1 Like

Well, I usually avoid this sort of thing, but ok. My many years as a CTO & CIO (now COO) lead me to believe that any data issues were likely caused by something, and it was probably programmatic. While fixing the database might be the faster solution, I wouldn’t necessarily put resources on slapping band-aids on it until I knew what was causing the issues. But, I do agree with you that fixing the data should be fast - hence my previous comment about how simple it would be to find and correct the data.

But let’s not throw credentials around, it’s kind of silly, especially for a gaming forum. :crazy_face:

Too bad they have to spend valuable resources on this rather than fixing permissions and improving guilds! :cry:

3 Likes

Even though the applicant issues aren’t truly related to the permissions issue (completely different causes and effects) I don’t think it’s so far astray from the topic that it constitutes a derailment. Both things need to be fixed.

Me, too. :+1:

I’m not really expecting the prepatch to solve anything. All my optimism has drained away. Still, I feel like there’s an outside chance… just maybe…

Yeah. Right. Permissions are still a wreck. Can’t see applicants or applicant history. Guild finder doesn’t list my guild even though I have an “Active” listing. I’m just glad mine is an alt guild and we’re not trying to do anything like raiding or something.

1 Like

Ditto. I also don’t think that Shadowlands will have the fixes we’re looking for.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m glad they delayed SL. It was pretty clear they needed more time. But I think they will use that time to get the expansion into a barely playable state via numbers tuning - rather than doing the under-the-hood work that is needed for guilds, classes, etc.

sigh Whatever. The cliffs and caves update for Minecraft looks amazing! Super hyped. So glad that I shut AOM’s guild events down. I have so much free time to play other games. 11/10 would recommend.

4 Likes

Guilds are too comfy, Blizz wants to invite more drama.

The days of an officer having a bad day and power tripping and doing harm.

I don’t play other games. I just practice my instruments more. Though I’ve been playing sax and clarinet for decades, I’ve barely started on piano. I don’t mind having extra time so I can get in my 40hrs/day on each instrument.

But I am sad that Blizz doesn’t seem to care about guilds anymore. Granular permissions would make it so much easier to involve more members in the running of their guilds, thus making more people feel like they’re really contributing. Of course, those of us who lost the ability to recruit through the finder aren’t likely to be growing much, either.

I think of all the great ideas regarding guild improvements people have posted in this thread (which Blizz has ignored) and disappointment just swells. People do care about their guilds and guild mates. Why doesn’t Blizzard?

4 Likes

I’ve sadly fallen off the tweet wagon, but at least pre-patch drops in a couple days so I can hope against hope that they’ve actually been listening and working and we’ll have a fix.

It’s good to have dreams.

1 Like

So, no change with the applicants, but the guild finder doesn’t work at all for me. I can’t update my guild listing. I can’t even see other guilds (though an alt in the guild can see them in the finder).

And, of course, no change in the permissions. Maintenance tomorrow–can I hope for a solution to the guild finder issues at least?

3 Likes

This is getting ridiculous.

3 Likes

Well, the guild finder works for me now and I was able to update my guild recruiting ad. However, since I still can’t see applicants, this really isn’t doing me any good.

And, of course, the permissions are still lumped together.

3 Likes

I’m reasonable certain Blizzard will never do anything about the permissions despite Ion saying they were working on it. This would be an easier pill to swallow if they would just come out and say so. “We’re happy with how the guild UI is functioning,” or something similar would at least let us know not to bother anymore.

However, there’s absolutely NO excuse for not fixing the applicants issue many guilds (including mine) are having.

4 Likes

Alas, I have not tweeted Ion a while. Been busy and forgetful. How disappointing that the pre-patch in its current state has no restored permissions. How disappointing that they asked for specific feedback and then proceeded to ignore us (or give the impression of ignoring).

How disappointing that a company that was once a pillar of the MMO industry is now constantly struggling, falling behind, and seems utterly unable to acknowledge, much less fix, constant game-breaking mistakes.

How terribly, terribly disappointing.

4 Likes

So, something very strange to report–though not sure if it’s really related to the permissions. It may have something to do with the mergers.

Anyway, my guild has been dead a long time. The GM came back one day the beginning of Legion (or was it WoD?). She expressed a desire to start playing again, build up the guild, etc., etc. She promoted me to second-in-command so I could help. Then she vanished again.

After a while, I got a message saying I could take over the guild. I ignored the message because I was pretty much the only member still playing, and if the GM came back, I didn’t want her to think I “stole” her guild.

Fast forward to the time my realm merger happened. I didn’t pay any attention to the guild issues with “my” guild because I wasn’t doing anything with it. I was more concerned with Fumel’s problems. A few days ago, I looked into my guild. As I expected, the only characters played in the last several months or more were my own and some of my sister’s alts. Then I noticed I was the guild master.

I never accepted the message to dethrone the GM, so I was nonplussed. I checked the guild log. It said “unknown” had promoted me to GM about the time of the merger–though no other guild members had been logged in–especially not the GM. Then I looked at the guild bank–and it was empty. Seven tabs of empty bank–but the bank logs showed no one taking anything out. And the gold reserve was over 60k. Again the logs showed nothing had been deposited for over six years.

My conclusion: When the realm mergers happened, Blizzard made me GM, liquidated the bank tabs, and deposited the gold in the bank. Anyone have any other ideas how this happened?

2 Likes

If anyone ever has this opportunity, they should take it. If they don’t then it will open up to the next rank. I know you said you were the only person logging in, I’m just mentioning this for anyone else who might read this. You can always promote the old GM back if you want to, but if someone else grabs GM there is nothing that can be done.

There have been reports of issues with guild banks on newly merged realms. Check out the support forums, and if I were you, I would put in a ticket.

But keep GM, regardless of how it happened, it is better off with you! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I don’t know who is more foolish; is it Ion for promising that they will look into fixing guilds or me for believing they would fix guilds.

Maybe it is me; I don’t know why I should have expected Ion to follow through when more pressing issues, such as slowing down how fast we can drink potions, are obviously more important.

2 Likes

Wow - and it’s still not fixed. You now have to pay for it in the barber shop!
Honestly? Knowing this has been a problem for so long makes me want a refund for SL because it seems to be a trend with them now. It’s this mount, then guild ui, and will keep growing I’m afraid.

1 Like

You can’t go to the NPC in the druid place any more? That’s pretty rotten! At least I don’t have to pay to change mounts!

I know I feel pretty dumb for trusting in what Blizzard/Ion says.

Thanks. I guess I’ll look into this. I hadn’t been to the bank in so long that I don’t honestly know when everything vanished. I just assume it was due to the merger.

3 Likes

My guild bank is showing up fine despite the merger. Brahmina hasn’t gotten a reply to her ticket yet, but there’s more than a two day wait time so that’s no surprise.

Also not a surprise: permissions aren’t fixed. Yeah, pretty sure they’re not going to do anything about this no matter what Ion said. I guess we’re supposed to say thank you and ask them to do it to us some more. (Oops, my inner cynic is showing.)

3 Likes