The new Guild UI and Permissions...yikes

Here is a terrific suggestion made back in September:

While there’s no specific priority placed on this suggestion, I feel confident that the poster would rank it as less important than fixing the guild permissions. (Now, how could I know that–unless I actually read this thread. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

To me, it would go under guild perks, and a very nice perk it would be.

My priorities:

1. Granular permissions
  2. Roster improvements
  3. Recruitment overhaul
  4. Guild perks
5 Likes

Why thank you! I hope they are helpful in some small way. I did a bit more thinking. There are a few things that I left out of my original post. I’ll elaborate a bit here.

Rewards

One thing that I didn’t touch on in my previous post is balancing individual rewards vs guild rewards in terms of farmable materials. Some time ago, I mentioned that I like the idea of having the cashflow challenges pay out partially into a guild repair fund, and partially into the pockets of the players who actually completed the challenge.

I would like to see this same concept applied in the guild hall. If we return to the garden as an example, I mentioned that herbalism should be required to harvest from the garden. What if all herbalists could farm herbs in the guild garden, with the result being that both the guild and the herbalist benefits?

Say the herbalist gets 3 herbs per gather. What if the first herbalist’s gathering duplicates those 3 herbs to be automatically deposited into a guild reagent bank? The second herbalist would get the same 3 herbs for themselves, and the guild bank could get 2 herbs per gather. As more herbalists gather, apply diminishing returns on the guild reward side to keep big guilds from having infinite mats, but keep the individual rewards constant to be fair to everyone’s time investment.

What I absolutely do not want is to plant a seed, care for it while it’s growing, and then have someone else come along and pick it before I can log in that day. Participation needs to be designed to be “the more the merrier” on the individual side, while balanced such that guilds of varying sizes are on roughly equal footing.

Leveling

Another topic I didn’t touch on is leveling toons. I would like it if all levels can participate in the guild hall in some way. It would be a big bummer to bring a friend back who hasn’t played since BC with promises of a shiny new guild hall, only to be like “Ummmm, yeah. You have to level from 70-130 first.” They don’t need to be able to participate in everything, but should have enough available to feel like they can help immediately and be excited about leveling for more access.

4 Likes

I feel your pain. When I found out Magdall lost to cancer I was heartbroken. He and I had had our differences, but there was always a mutual respect for each other and he is still the only person I would’ve trusted to take care of the guild if we were absent for some reason. I hang onto the good memories of him now, and miss his criticisms of my Chuck Norris jokes back in Vanilla. I would love to memorialize him in a Guild Hall…

5 Likes

Fun fact, if “Blizzard Services” (Bnet) goes down, so does guild chat. Wheeee!

4 Likes

This would be an awesome addition to guild halls. I’m thinking of a wall something like the warboards, that you click on and get a list of characters. If you click the character name, you get a portrait and a line or two about why they’ve been put on the wall.

Some guilds might use it to memorialize members who’ve passed on. Others might use it to post “member of the week” or whatnot. Actually, now that I think about it, there’s no reason the “wall” can’t have customizable tabs so GM’s can make whatever sorts of lists they want. An “in memorium” tab, a “high scorer” tab, a “top contributer” tab–whatever fits the guild.

Of course, one hopes that very, very few guilds would need an “in memorium” tab, and even fewer would have more than one character listed (unless they were alts from the same player).

7 Likes

Fumel took the words out right of my mouth.

Awesome idea!

6 Likes

Here is a very simple, clear statement of what the poster would like to see:

It doesn’t get plainer than that. Even the most harried of devs should be able to figure out the above poster’s priorities.

4 Likes

So…umm.

Thank you for the feathers, Blizzard. I like them a lot.

Does this mean that we’re not getting guild halls? I mean, feathers are cheaper. It’s pretty obvious that feathers are cheaper. Is both an option? Can we really get feathers, permissions fixed, improved management tools, AND a guild hall? That’s too greedy, isn’t it?

As cool as a guild hall would be, I do value the permissions and management tools more. I mean, the absence of a guild hall hasn’t stopped us from having fun in the last 13 years. The absence of good permissions and management tools has actually gotten in the way of fun.

Looking forward to hearing from you sooner than Soon™.

Sincerely,

Takoda

PS - My guild is now convinced that Blizzard listens to me, and has provided a very long list of requests. I can summarize them as “[insert class here] is boring.” Though it seems like a different topic, having engaging class gameplay is actually a quite important precursor to increasing the number of healthy guilds in the game. (More people who want to play means more who are looking for people to play with, which leads to growth of existing guilds and the creation of more guilds.)

I’ve been directing attention to the Essence system and the heart abilities in the preview, and so far, everyone seems to want to learn more. We’re excited to try it out because, in the end, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

4 Likes

The most frustrating aspect of this is that if Blizzard had just LEFT GUILDS ALONE, I, and possibly my friends or potentially new friends I would have made from recruiting, would still be playing this expansion.

7 Likes

Here is a nice suggestion made back in September:

Yes, this is pretty much what we’ve all been asking for–an advanced tab with granular permissions–but I thought it worth repeating. I like the additional suggestion about the ML, though I suspect that would negate the entire point Blizzard was trying to make with the ML change in the first place (which was the removal of player/guild choice).

With all the nonsensical decisions happening lately, once again I’m left wondering if Blizzard really is trying to destroy its own game. It doesn’t make any sense, but neither do the changes to guilds, loot rules, portals, mount abilities (the water strider), and the request for feedback on a subject that we’ve already made hundreds of coherent, specific posts about.

Well, at least Takoda got her feathers. Perhaps I’ll sleep calmly tonight after all.

4 Likes

That’d make a great song.

hint hint to our resident lyricist …

(Blizzard: The permissions are still broken!) <-- Thread relevance

6 Likes

What? Giving us something we actually WANT and would even be usefull in the game, as opposed to what our lords and masters would decree?
You are mad, sir!
MAD, I say!
Flips hair

4 Likes

It’s Game of Thrones Sunday and all I want is the danged permissions reverted!

I still can’t make officers with varying levels of responsibility.

THAT is how it specifically affects me.

5 Likes

Finally came back to this thread. I am just sigh.

5 Likes

Same and agreed!
Also preparing for tonight’s GoT; even have my fav chicken recipe going, in honor of my fav character.
Flips hair

1 Like

Another simple and direct post from September:

I’m not sure how much clearer we can make it, either. I also have no idea how many pages this would be if the forums still had pages. 3076 posts isn’t chump change though.

I haven’t seen any mention of guild changes for 8.2. This has me concerned. I feel like an upcoming fix would be something Blizz would trumpet loudly to show how much they “listen” to us. I’m going to keep my fingers crossed and hope they aren’t saying anything because they don’t want to admit they screwed up to begin with.

8 Likes

Seriously, I don’t know what will come first: The ability for me to create an officer rank that can’t mess up guild info or MotD…

Or the return of the Loyalist Primarchs, Glory to the Eternal Emperor.

1 Like

Well, I’ve been a little more concerned about other happenings in the world today than WoW stuff. (So glad I actually got to see Notre Dame in person, and gladder they’ve been able to control the fire and maybe won’t lose the entire cathedral.)

Since I need something to cheer me up, I’m going to quote my favorite forum lyricist today.

Just fix the guild permissions, Blizz. It’s really not as hard as putting out a fire. Thank God the Paris firefighters didn’t sit around waiting for prioritized feedback before they got to work.

9 Likes

So, looking through the thread, I came across myself quoting a pretty good post from July. Since the forum switch, there’s no easy way to go back to these posts I quoted. :frowning_face: But I found this one and quoted again it because it has some pretty good suggestions for improving guilds,

Again, the priority is the permissions fix, but if y’all at Blizz are wanting to throw in extra stuff, the above ideas are all good ones.

9 Likes

If more feedback is still needed, I’ll reiterate what my last two+ posts have covered:

Please undo the change made to officer permissions entirely- return granular permissions and remove the ‘IsOfficer’ catch-all checkbox. Give GMs back their ability to customize rank responsibilities as they could before BfA dropped.

8 Likes