The new Guild UI and Permissions...yikes

They…want…more…feedback…

:confounded:

8 Likes

Here’s some feedback:

Just revert. I know it is a novel idea that hasn’t been brought up before, right? Just put the permissions back how they were. Seems a better plan than looking into this “issue” for 3 more years…

5 Likes

Just give me my god dam permissions back. Like holy dogmess, are y’all this dumb? Why do you need more feedback.

Jesus Christ. This development team got me like Picard trying to explain something to Data and he just like, “why though?

8 Likes

Eff it, I’ll summarize how Rising Sun functioned before the changes and elaborate the reasoning for each rank.

Rank 1 - GM - Self explanatory.

Rank 2 - Co-GM - Me. Given as many permissions as possible historically, basically the equivalent of checking “is officer” since day one.

Rank 3 - Senior Officers - This rank was reserved for persons given the most trust and responsibilities. They could do EVERYTHING except manipulate the MOTD, bank tabs, and Guild Info. Why? Because in September 2007, half of our guild broke off, and a person who we thought was respectable changed the MOTD and Guild Info to instruct others to gquit and join their new guild. If the guild bank had existed back then, the potential for damage would have been disastrous. Since then, these functions are exclusively under GM and Co-GM control. Essentially, this rank helps run the guild when we’re not on. Can no longer been done

Rank 4 - General Officer - Could invite members, demote members, see/edit officer notes, participate in officer chat, and create guild events but could not kick, delete guild events, or modify bank tabs. Why? Kicking is a serious issue for us, and the action is weighed on circumstance. You’re in because we like you, and if that changes somehow, something bad must’ve happened. Deleting guild events situational. We want to encourage members to ask for help and set aside days for these kinds of actions. Deleting events is reserved for higher ranks only, and only in unusual circumstances. Can no longer been done

Rank 5 - Helpers - This is where “official” officer ended. They could see officer chat and notes (but not speak there), create guild events, edit public notes and invite people. This rank used to be highly populated. A lot of guildies wanted to feel “involved” but not “responsible”. Since promotions were kind of a big thing for us (Always based upon overall contribution and desire to help out, NEVER based on how much you raided) these were always handled by actual officers. But overall, this was the transitional rank to people who didn’t know if they wanted the extra load, or were content to just be “fringe helpers”. Can no longer been done

Rank 6 - General Members - They could invite members, create guild events, and see/edit their own public note. No real responsibilities except to be nice others, have fun, and don’t be afraid to ask for help.

Rank 7 - New guys/gals - They could participate in guild chat and that’s it. Until we were sure you were gonna stay/not be a d-bag, this is where recruits went.

Rank 8 - Security Isolation - If we suspected your account was hacked, this is where you went. ZERO access to anything.

Our workaround since the change?

Nobody is an officer (Except me, I guess, by a technicality)

Here’s a wonderful article btw:

9 Likes

You have enough feedback.

4 Likes

They…asked for more feedback…?

But…but…but…face asplodes

How many times/ways do we need to say Unbundle the Permissions from IsOfficer so that GMs Can Assign Them As They See Fit?

6 Likes

From the Live Q&A today (transcript from MMO-Champion since I didn’t watch the video):
Guilds and Communities

• Certain guild features were lost in the transition of integrating communities into the Battlenet platform. The team is working and listening to feedback to bring back what is missed most.
3 Likes

That should be enough for now.

Give us back our permissions, Blizz. We can discuss improvements to the looking-for-guild function, Guild UI, Guild perks, Guild housing, etc., at another time. Right now, let’s fix what you broke.

8 Likes

So I was pretty upset at first. But I finally got my hands on the vod, and I now that I sit down to really digest what Ion is saying…

Full transcript below - most relevant bits bolded for those who like a tldr.

Q: Is the communities feature worth putting dev resources into moving forward? It seems to have caused more issues than it solved, and there have not been many changes to the tools we can use to manage them. We’ve only lost guild management tools. @Scartotem

Lore: We’ve seen alot of feedback along these lines. I know that we’ve made some improvements there already, but overall, this sort of sense that when communities was rolled out into WoW, and the guild system was moved onto the community system, there was a lot of friction there. So how are we feeling about that at this point?

Ion: I think communities as a whole we very much feel are worth continuing to invest resources into. We’ve seen a ton of communities popping up for cross server gameplay and activities. There are everything from YOLO BGs to keystone pushing groups to cross-server raid groups that can easily recruit and communicate and maintain a calendar and maintain a schedule in a way that is compatible with the way guilds work. So we have alot of cross server communities. we want cross-server social groups and the ability to be in multiples of them.

Now from a technical perspective, we shifted the infrastructure for how these groups were built from something that was native to world of warcraft to something that is consistent and tied into our battle.net platform more broadly with cross game communication there. And we lost some things in that transition. Some of those were granular permissions and we’ve worked based on some feedback so far. Early on, where we re-added the ability to have guild ranks that couldn’t speak in guild chat for example. If you wanted the ability to mute that really annoying guy in your guild, get him to shut up without actually kicking him from the guild, you can have a rank that is muted.

Officer permissions are still more tangled together than we would like. We are getting support back from battlenet and want to be able to add that granularity back going forward. It’s something that we’re actively working on. At this point, we hear alot of general feedback about “fix guild permissions,” but not as much “this is the exact specific thing that I would like to be able to do with my guild that I can no longer do.” That type of very specific feedback is what would be most helpful.

I know that those posts have been out there. I don’t want to say that no one has done this. But for you specifically, if you’re voicing the concern that guild management tools are lacking, it would be super helpful just so we could understand the relative weighting, popularity, and demand of each of these features and what it is you miss most so we can prioritize that accordingly.

Lore: That’s something worth calling out about feedback in general, if you’re submitting feedback about class design, about azerite armor, about islands, and so on. We’ll see general feedback of “this isn’t fun, or I don’t like this or when are you going to fix this” and while we can then go and find other posts that do say in more detail here are the issues, we’re then attributing your opinion to what someone else’s opinion is, and maybe your thoughts on that are actually different. Or maybe your way of expressing your thoughts on the issue is something that makes a little more sense to us and we can understand a little bit better.

Ion: Exactly.

Lore: So in general with feedback, when you can, it’s always best to include as much context as possible.

Ion: Or to tell us to fix PVP.

Lore: Or just tell us to fix PVP.

Ion: We’ll get right on that.

Lore: Yeah. We’ve got a wrench, and we’re working on it right now. [moves on to next question]

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/398938704## Timestamp 1:01:04

6 Likes

As Fumel pointed out, I created a separate thread back in the old forums that I dropped some feedback in when we were originally asked for feedback. Since we are being asked again, I will post those thoughts here with some updates:

The granular permissions previously available have been replaced by an ‘officer checkbox’. While this may not have been the intention, the net result is that an ‘officer’ has now been defined by Blizzard as someone who will always be able to:

• Access officer channels
  • Remove people from voice chat
  • Delete other people’s chat messages
  • Delete other people’s guild events
  • View and edit officer notes
  • Edit Guild info
  • Edit Message of the Day

We are no longer able to define what an officer is. In our guild, prior to these changes, we functionally had 4 different levels/types of officers. This is no longer possible.

Rank 1: Co-GM rank, which has all the permissions of the GM (still possible)
Rank 2: Officer with advanced permissions but no access to Guild Info or MOTD (not possible now)
Rank 3: Officer with similar permissions to Rank 2, but cannot remove members (still possible)
Rank 4: Access to read officer chat, able to delete guild events, read-only access to officer notes. This is a rank of people who are trusted and want to help, but should not be full officers. (not possible now)

While the following does not impact my guilds, they were mentioned in this thread:

• Some guilds were using officer chat for role playing – now they cannot allow access to it without making everyone officers.
  • Some were using it as a read only tool for raiding (the leaders could post, team members cannot).
  • There are many other instances where the changes have had an impact, and I would encourage you to read through the long thread regarding this.

It has been stated that changes were made to facilitate guilds and communities being able to exist using the same infrastructure. That’s fine – however the net tangible result (if you look through this thread) is that people are now using Discord for things they used to do in-game. You don’t foster and build a sense of community by removing the tools that have been used to build and manage guilds, which are the backbone of communities in WoW.

Let’s take persistent guild chat as an example: You have functionally changed guild chat from being a live conversation to being a message board where we are unable to manage the messages other than to delete them one at a time. Everything that is said now must be said with the knowledge that those words will last forever. This is a fundamental change to what guild chat was.

I realize the path here is forward, and that you are unlikely to go backwards – but, if you were intent upon making this change, the transition to it could have been handled a bit more thoughtfully – and even now, it can be improved: Why not either allow guilds to toggle persistent chat on /off, or at the very least, set a length of time to keep the history?

My personal priority: Give us back the granular permissions so that we can go back to ranks that are more meaningful and creative.

9 Likes

In accordance with instructions on the QA:

Also - Fix PvP.

3 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Seriously???

Hey Blizz! Go back to the “first” several HUNDRED (Perhaps even the first several thousand?) pages of this thread and you’ll find more than enough posts with EXACTLY what your looking for including my own!

Don’t make me quote me!

(I’ll do it too!)

9 Likes

Thanks for the full transcript, not as rage-inducing as I expected from the summary.

I remember there being a fair amount of specific “my guild did X using Y permission, now we can’t” scattered through the thread, but maybe the issue is that this is a huge thread and the specifics get lost between many other posts that are unspecific.

5 Likes

2900 posts… and they can’t figure out what we’re saying??? Jesus…

I’ll type it slow so Lore can keep up.

Revert the changes… absolutely nothing should be “bundled” as a single checkbox.

Now, we only need 2900 more posts, and 5 more expansions before they actually do something besides say “we need more feedback”.

7 Likes

Ion literally said, “there’s a lot of general feedback out there, but we need more specific feedback…”

Ohh jumping jiminy cricket…just read this entire thread for specific feedback.

I say this without an ounce of animus…I will be glad when these 2 clowns are shown the door. It is long past due.

7 Likes

Well, I’ve quoted you a few times, and I’ve quoted myself. It’s really not as bad as you think. :wink:

So, Ion wants specific feedback. Because, you know, the specific, detailed feedback I’ve been quoting now and again hasn’t been specific enough.

5 Likes

Unbundle the damn rank permissions and let us make multiple guild chat channels with the ability to give them persistent chat or not.

Boom. Guild functionality has now been exponentially expanded.

Is it REALLY that complicated?

7 Likes

I now start at the beginning of this thread, looking for specific feedback.
Note: I am not a trusted user of these forums, and as such, I cannot even quote links. Thus I’ve had to break any links in anything I quote. To see the original links, hit the arrow to go to the original post.

Okay, let’s see if we can interpret this (apparently too vague) post, which just happens to be this thread’s OP.

We have links to images of the old and new permissions. Now, this post was made before the very slight revamp that gave us a couple of permissions back, but the examples still seem pretty clear to me. The old one let GMs assign permissions as they wished, the new one lumps it all under “is officer”.

As the poster points out, giving access to one permission allows access to all. None of it can be controlled individually and assigned to separate ranks. This seems like a very straightforward complaint to me. The poster wishes to create separate ranks with separate permissions.

I hate to be picky, but if anyone at Blizzard really can’t understand the specifics of the above quoted post, perhaps a CM could pass their specific questions on to us and we could explain further. Hmm?

10 Likes

I appreciate the full transcript above - Thanks!!!

From that: " if you’re voicing the concern that guild management tools are lacking, it would be super helpful just so we could understand the relative weighting, popularity, and demand of each of these features and what it is you miss most so we can prioritize that accordingly"

Weighting? Popularity? Demand? What???

Why are we having to pick and choose? JUST PUT IT BACK HOW IT WAS! It was hurting nothing. Nobody, NOBODY was saying “gosh I wish I had LESS control over permissions. I’d love just a checkbox for Officer so I could get on with my day”.

Please REVERT

11 Likes

I feel a bit like Fumel now :slight_smile:

4 Likes