The new AH bans is the biggest embarrassment in a while

Bad or Good, why does this stuff never happen to me. God my life is boring.

2 Likes

There’s someone in the CS forums about it one sec I was just there I’ll link you the thread.

The CS member stated at the bottom it was pertaining to the AH issue.

lol that outcome should have been easy enough to test. I suggested they do focused testing and give people mats and gold to test but I don’t think they bothered. It was predictable it would hit the game buggy.

2 Likes

A lot of people think I’m defending people who willingly abused the bug to make hundreds of thousands, if not millions of gold. I am not.

I’m defending the collateral of this thing.

2 Likes

Tomato, tomato… Donate, pledge. Same difference.

2 Likes

They’ll get their accounts back if they did nothing wrong and they sort out the whole situation. Anytime they mess with the AH or bag space it messes a lot up. So in the future, wait a week or so for things to sort out before participating.

In the meantime, I hope this doesn’t take too long for them to sort out.

2 Likes

Your right, they don’t test the economy enough.

It wasn’t a ban, there accounts are locked while Blizzard manually rolls back their characters due to them receiving gold from the AH that they shouldn’t have been sent. I know someone in my guild that is in this situation. It is annoying but they understand that once fixed they will be back to playing.

2 Likes

I saw some bug reports on it and honestly I was more interested in just sticking stuff on the AH and see how long it took to sell rather than constantly posting / delisting.

FYI crafting materials sold quick lol

yes it’s super embarrassing that people took advantage of a bug that gave them gold for free and are getting suspended for it. super embarrassing indeed

2 Likes

I mean, in a way, yes it is. Such an oversight of a bug that can duplicate gold in a game that’s been developed for many years is pretty bad.

But no, I’m not talking about the abusers getting suspended. I’m talking about the people who got suspended for just re-selling items like you normally do while being undercut without realizing they got more gold. Which happens.

Duplication bugs are one of the oldest and most common bugs in games.

1 Like

To clear something up, there have been no “suspensions” or “bans” that I’ve seen on the forums so far.

What happened is that Blizz identified accounts that were directly impacted by this bug and locked those accounts so that they could reverse the damage. My guess is that this is a manual process as they go account to account.

Personally, I doubt that anyone will receive an account action (ban or suspension) unless there’s clear evidence that they abused the bug for their own gain.

5 Likes

No they are not. Not by a long shot. They are the most game-breaking bug we often hear about, and by extension seem like they’re common. But trust me. They are not. I am a software developer and along with security/pentest, checking for duping is always the forefront of bug concern.

An account lock is effectively a suspension, though. As far as convenience goes. I just hope they receive proper compensation, and not just a few days extra.

Question – has this bug only occurred when people cancelled their auctions, or does it also happen when an auction expires? I saw something that implied the latter, but it wasn’t clear. I haven’t cancelled anything, but I’m a little anxious right now because I have posted things since the patch and some of them have expired while others at least appear to have sold.

They absolutely are. There are many games that have had them:

Phantasy Star Online
Star Wars Galaxies
Forza Motorsport 2
Gran Turismo 5
Minecraft
Diablo
Everquest 2
Runescape
New World
Final Fantasy VII
Animal Crossing New Horizons
Pokemon Legends: Arceus
Raft

They are a common issue. I don’t care what you claim to do irl. It doesn’t make it any less common.

1 Like

Nope. Their words mean different things. A suspension is an account action, a black mark on an account. A lock is just preventing people from accessing their accounts, but has no negative condonation to go with it. They’re not in trouble for having their accounts “Locked”.

If they receive a suspension later, then that would be much different.

2 Likes

If they’re not able to play their characters on their accounts for all intents and purposes the players are banned.

5 Likes

From a practical standpoint. It is a suspension. Whether or not you have a blackmark on your record, if you cannot play WoW, you are effectively ‘suspended’ from playing the game.

That’s just PR nonsense otherwise.

2 Likes

They’re not banned. A ban means that the account has been permanently closed.

A suspension is typically time based (a week, month, 6months) for breaking in-game rules. In this case, Blizz is just reverting damage done from the bug. To prevent further damage they locked the players’ accounts.

I’m not saying that the situation doesn’t suck, just that the use of words like suspension or ban are attached to a player who broke the rules.

4 Likes