The MG Lounge Thread

Did someone say EXPANSE? *fangirls * I’ve read the books twice, listened to them plus the novellas, and watched the series twice. I looove it. Can’t wait for the last season to see how they wrap it up vs. the books.

One of the writers of the Expanse books (James S. A. Corey is a pen name, w/ two authors) has a great series that came out before The Expanse - The Dagger and the Coin series by Daniel Abraham.

Currently listening to (I listen to a lot of books because I’m an illustrator) Book 4 of The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. It’s… really long, but I love his world building.

Just ripped through a novel called Subdivision by J. Robert Lennon. It was a mind bender.
Gave me the same feeling as Light by M. John Harrison

Not a big TV watcher, mostly because it has to usually be something the kid will enjoy too (or soccer), but the last time I had a solo binge watch was Shadow and Bone after my 2nd vax. I thought it was neat, if I were younger I’d be totally obsessed by it.

1 Like

I loved the world in Shadow and Bone - the characters not so much, but then I’m really really worn out on the ‘Teenage girl/young woman discovers she has ultimate super power/is super important and must save world while being completely naive about everything’ trope. I have not read the books though, so maybe they’re better in that regard.

1 Like

Currently ping ponging between watching the entirey of American Horror Story, The Strain, and What We Do In The Shadows when I need a break from the first two.

2 Likes

My main show right now is That time I got reincarnated as a slime. The last few new episodes have been good.

1 Like

OH yeah Shadow and Bone was very predictable, but the world building was very neat. Not enough to make me want to read the books though.

Another great watch is ‘The Something Wrong Show’ - any theater/production geeks will love it. (kind of not kid friendly, lots of innuendos)(but well done innuendos)

We all know Jarlaxle is the superior drow lad.

Great recommendations, Mirch! The Witcher is my fave series of all time.

2 Likes

The Witcher is definitely a fantastic series of books. I’ll put a +1 for recommendation on that one.

How have you all been the past week? Anything of import done?

You know the books were much better in my opinion than the show. Though the show is wonderful and I think will continue to be. The books are broken up into 3 sets, 9 books total. Each 3 set series tells the story from the viewpoint of a few specific characters individually while overall winding the entire story altogether. It really is worth a read.

And you know since it was asked this past week was alright I suppose. I’m fighting with Social Security over my disability right now which isn’t fun but I’m learning not to stress about it at the moment. Instead, I’m enjoying everything else as I can which included a fun date night at the drive-in seeing Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. It was much better than I expected it to be.

1 Like

Glad I stumbled on this thread. Gave me some books to check out! Dunno if any of you like historical fiction, but one of my favorite trilogies is the Crusades trilogy by Jan Guillou: The Templar Knight, The Road to Jerusalem, and Birth of the Kingdom. Worth checking out for anyone on the hunt for books to read. For fantasy I can recommend Jonathan Stroud’s Bartimaeus Sequence: The Amulet of Samarkand, The Golem’s Eye, Ptolemy’s Gate, and The Ring of Solomon.

2 Likes

I’ve been reading mostly the Warhammer novels recently. That and playing game series like the Witcher 3 more and more has helped me branch out into other genres.

Hey everybody.
Hope life is treating you well.

Read the linked article today. Guess this is the next front opened by the shareholders.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/sep/21/activision-blizzard-confirms-sec-investigation
I want justice for the employees but I want the company culture to change. Not cease to exist.
:frowning_face:

Well the good news is this has more to do with Activison Corporate vs Blizzard itself. It’s not anything to scoff at, believe me. The SEC never messes around and they don’t slap the wrist, the smack your face into next Tuesday. Who needs to be worried is Activision’s CEO, CFO, etc.

If anything happens it’ll either be huge fines or we’ll get new leadership which would hopefully be a good thing for up on high.

Anyone happen to play Oldschool Runescape? :point_right: :sunglasses: :point_right:

Can’t say I’ve played Runescape in YEARS. I think a decade by now or longer.

1 Like