The "Metzen Tone" (Storytelling/Worldbuilding)

Shadowlands was amazing and you have bad taste.

I liked the Niffen. They are support roles of the main plot and pretty good at it.
Feel the same way as you about the races and classes of the game in Dragonflight. Seems like the personalities of some classes are dwindling. Draenei warlocks and Tauren Paladins are not a good idea imo but well, we are beyond the point of return right now. :confused:

I checked out of the story pretty early on. We get to Valdrakken and the odd little mixed-faction groups are all just sitting around waxing poetic about how much they love their new Horde/Alliance comrades.

You want a tense truce, by all means. But the Horde/Alliance relations on DF seems downright incestuous

2 Likes

You craaaaazy

Shadowlands was mostly nostalgia bait by showing us character from the past. And it worked.

SL was terrible for the most part. It’s over arching story was beyond incoherent and ridiculous

6 Likes

Yeah man seeing uther as a pointless purple smurf was sick.

5 Likes

I got to quest with Kael’thas and Sylvanas and that left me very happy.

Poggers! Glad that could make up for the biggest successive content droughts in wow history, absolute butchering of the lore, removal of all stakes and making death not matter, all the while introducing some of the biggest plot holes in wow lore. And to top it all off doing unfortold damage to player count and shattering players trust in blizzard for years to come.

4 Likes

When did death not matter? Last time I checked all dead people are still dead. If that lore was ruined alot of Horde souls could have been brought back because them dying destroyed their story harder then anything else.

1 Like

When did death not matter? Last time I checked all dead people are still dead.

This. To my knowledge anyone that we saw in the Shadowlands that died is still dead. They aren’t coming back.

Because “death” is a mage portal away and ruins any feeling of weight or drama for any character death in the future. There are no stakes. Meaningful moments like Ysera’s death get the feeling taken away when apparently she can just come back to take care of worldly affairs when someone warms her seat for a bit. There are no stakes, it means nothing until they introduce the concept of super death or something.

9 Likes

She isn’t returning. That trade with Malfurion will end once she has prepared her daughter to lead the flight. She will be back in Ardenwald soon enough because her soul is now bound to the qinter queen.

The fact that the trade can happen at all is the issue. Even though the veil between the two realms was supposed to have been healing during the timeskip, making it more difficult to make the connection to get there. Instead we get basically no resistance(or resistance so utterly meaningless I’ve completely forgotten about it) opening a portal to ardenweald and Ysera just walks out while Malf goes to take another plot nap.

5 Likes

That did get a follow up. Vexiona took command over them and launched attacks on the nearby Red Dragon outpost to try and lure out Alexstrasza in order to corrupt her. She must have taken a page from Arthas’ book when it came to Tirion. And given the AotC N’zoth mount, it might be implied that she took some of them to be turned into Void dragons by shoving them into N’zoths guts.

I would like to see the Twilight Dragonflight show up at some point. Particularly with the plot points of 10.1 with Aberrus, Neltharion’s legacy and shadowflame. But I would’ve used Goriona as an example. She leaves Warmaster Blackhorn to die on the Skyfire and hasn’t been seen since. Not during Legion or BFA where the Twilight Dragonflight showed up.

1 Like

Easy: the new writers don’t want to be beholden to the decisions made by their predecessors. If they use the legacy creatures, they risk contradicting previous lore and getting called out by players. If they invent something new out of thin air, they can do whatever they want.

Which is frankly stupid, in my humble opinion.

He has said that the last thing he worked on was the BfA cinematic. He was surprised by BfA’s plot developments just like the rest of us.

Not gonna happen, I’m afraid. They retconned the world to heck and back with that cosmic chart, and they’re planning to visit all the parts of it we haven’t seen. So they can invent new stuff.

That’s been the way of things since Wrath of the Lich King

Dragon’s having no teeth is a big part of it for me.

I love green dragons. But they are getting the same treatment that Kaldorei get in WoW: it is EASIER to present them as hippies than what they actually were. A complex, 3 dimensional people who love life and nature, to the point of being willing to brutalize and slaughter anyone that steps up on them and threaten it. Red Dragons forgive because they just value greater life, they’re relatively peaceful. Green Dragons are peaceful but not above murdering anyone for trespass or anything else. Chads like Itharius made it clear even in wc3, that they lack the same level of pacifism (not that reds are outright pacifists either of course) that Red Dragons have, and will murder people. They manifest shades and nightmare. They’re the weaponization of the commonality of living things. And all they do is cry about Ysera or tend to a garden…

9 Likes

Back in Warcraft 2 they were just fire breathing monsters I am certain they improved alot since then.

You’re my new hero.

Continue to scream into the void! May the dark god Kotick beckon Blizzard to take your feedback.

Jokes aside, great post. I’ve only skimmed it but I can already tell you have some great observations here.

5 Likes