The "Meaningful Choice" Fallacy

back here to bump this to the top

1 Like

Nice treaty. Won’t read.

If you have no interest in the topic, then you’re free to ignore it. :slight_smile: Posting “won’t read” when the TL;DR is at the top is rather silly.

As it currently stands, you’re basically going to be spamming PW:S on whoever does the most DPS with your Night Fae ability. It’s probably the strongest ability right now, because there is no downside to it.

1 Like

You’ve thought of your post very well, but just as real life, choices matter, just saying.

Did someone come to you irl and say, “You must choose which of these 4 people to marry now”?

1 Like

It’s no fallacy. It’s a group that wants to get better, to min max, and to have the game compliment their play style. I’m not against it but to forgo everything and say ‘‘but I’ll have a difficult time with X content’’ is silly.

It’s an mmo RPG. It’s a game created by a company that has always tried to service a lot of the player base. Sometimes you gotta ask yourself if wanting to ride a Horse like a Ferrari is a feasible thing.

People really are demanding things at this point and while all valid… doesn’t mean I have to subscribe to that way of thinking.

It’s not a fallacy, there is meaningful choice to it, but it’s subjective.

No, but I had to make hard choices of making more money,or having a better opportunity. Or,I could buy this fixed upper, or spend triple the money for a move right in.

Really? You had to make that choice or your life would be changed forever? And the decision could never be revisited, and was forced upon you as is no options allowed?

I think you should work on putting fun into your real life rather than trying to remove it from other people’s entertainment choices.

Methinks you should learn that everything in life is a choy, and that’s what’s all about being an adult, just saying

I don’t want that covenant though. But yea a teleport with the slowest class in game. Yep, I love that.

nah, i see you’ve watched the preach video too, he is way overhyping this. It’s very average at best and you lose too much by not taking better covenant abilities.

1 Like

Disagree, I enjoy risk vs. reward and making meaningful choices where you have to actually think before you make one.

Eh. I got a better idea. Just stop caring about nth degree content and play what you think you will enjoy. Now of course if you’re a fotm chaser desperately pugging your way to the top, well…you’re sol :crazy_face:

Some people enjoy trying their best to “beat” the game. Your way to have fun is not the only way or the superior way.

There is a lot more of examples we can use of a covenant ability being way stronger than others. But there is logic to people point about the venthyr teleport, and it will probably get nerf. If your point is that multiple agree with something so it’s bad, it’s kinda a terrible point.

There’s not much risk here, you pick one you keep it. And that doesn’t mean that if you can change stuff like talents that you don’t think about it. If anything it will just be like old talent trees, people will just pick the points that are best most of the time. It’s not “bigger” thinking than to think before each content you do what would be best.

And if anything, people should realize that it’s not that much of a meaningful choice because you WILL be able to change covenants, we just don’t know how.

The “meaningful choice” defense of making it difficult to switch covs is annoying because the game already has plenty of meaningful choice at the character creation screen.

I mean… If it stays as is… I’m not sure doubling a frost DK’s breath up time would be considered “overhyping” the ability. Simillarly, if it gives mana back to arcane mages… I’m not sure prolonging an arcane mages burst under the necrolord covenant ability, which already triples the arcane mages burst on 3 targets would be overhyping the ability.

Meh. We have plenty of other choices to make. I think a terrible choice is forcing us to choose which content we want to be optimal in and which content we’re just going to have to accept second fiddle in.

I think it’s even a more abysmal choice to have to choose which spec we’re going to be optimal in and which specs we’re going to suck with.

Not just for a tier, or for some time, but for the entire expansion. That’s just… counter to what retail has been about since iunno… Wrath?

What this just means is that if anyone wants to actually do content at a competitive level, they’ll be required to have multiple toons available for each content type their interested in.

I restate my usual response. Calling it now

9.2 - We’ve decided to make it easier to swap covenants.
9.3 - We’ve “learned” from our mistakes, and now all covenant abilities are on a separate talent row.

2 Likes

I feel like this thread is just a battle of short sighted people and long sighted people

And I have no idea why people are so intent on defending a rigid flawed systems that we can outline issues that it will cause

also OP what happened to the green text

i made a post in TL3 Lounge. Basically, new job is a conflict of interest for Blizzard. MVP status is seen as a part representing the community by other players. So, I asked for my MVP status to be removed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

you were my green of choice

Boon and Nova as they currently stand are way stronger than Fae Blessings. And you would sacrifice 2 cooldowns to buff one guy for 7-8 gcds. Why be stuck with a bad covenant when you can just pick a good one and throw Power Infusion at the guy you want to buff?

Think before just gobbling whatever youtube videos tell you…

1 Like