The Mawsworn (Backstory and Recruitment)

The Maw

Forged at the dawn by the First Ones as a repository for the most foul, malicious, irredeemable souls in existence. It was here that the First Arbiter condemned souls that refused to right the wrongs of their mortal lives or seek a second chance to enter their unique paradise. A maelstrom of strife, anguish, and rage was all that awaited these dark ones.

It was only when the Pantheon was forced to condemn one of their own to this empty wasteland of suffering and pain that the Maw needed a system. Souls reforged in the Jailers hands, warped and twisted till they were but a specter of their former selves. Bound to the will of its Jailer, Zovaal, did these souls find a place in his grand scheme.

As the eons past and the number of condemned souls increased did the Jailer finally propose a name for his elite army of souls: The Mawsworn. Left with no will of their own and meant only to be an extension of the Jailers hand across the Maw, this army grew to rival even that of the Legion. Souls without purpose or self identity, bound to cause pain, anguish, and further suffering upon all new souls. The process in time became the fundamental rule of the Maw.

All souls would be brought to Torghast, the Infinite prison of the Damned, to be turned and fitted to avatars of pain, anguish, and foul monstrosities only seen in nightmares. Few souls remain that remember what the maw once was, its purpose, and the change that further damned those within to an unavoidable future: all souls obey the call of the Jailer.

Eventually, one of Zovaal’s chief conspirators was able to further enact his scheme by breaking the operation on the Shadowlands and its second Arbiter. By releasing the condemned world soul of the being Argus into the Shadowlands, its anguish and pain overwhelmed the Arbiter, thus disabling its operator and enabling all souls to filter directly into the maw. These multitudes of souls were the beginning of the Mawsworn surge into an Infinite army. The Shadowlands would be weakened and the Maw would become the point of a series of even greater events.

It was when the sky was shattered and the path between the mortal realm and the shadowlands, did the Jailers plan enact. The Mawsworn army grew with each new soul twisted into a foul device bent on spreading malice, anguish and pain further beyond the maw and into the Mortal realm. It was then that adventurers from the world of Azeroth journeyed into the Maw and worked to undo the jailers will and free the souls condemned to this dark place.

Unfortunately, it was still the care free nature of these mortals that allowed souls not meant for salvation to escape. Souls from which their dark nature caused suffering and strife in the mortal realm. Freed upon the four realms, these condemned beings work in the shadows seeking to escape and find their way back to resume their dark designs.

It was only upon the defeat of the Jailer and end to his Domination magic, did the Mawsworn begin to question their purpose and existence. Some were so far gone they continued the work of the Jailer, but others sought to find a new reason of existence.

Even though the work of the condemned one, Sylvanas, is to free all the souls in the Maw; it was decided that some souls that rejected salvation would be returned and imprisoned for all eternity. The Caged ones, watched over by the Mawsworn to ensure they can never return or escape.

Leaderless and bound to the Maw, the Mawsworn enact their charge of Caretakers of the Damned.

• Death Knights of Acherus, once Keepers of the Scourge; now Deathlords of the Maw, and Judges of the Escaped.

• Shadow priests, once Silent Voices of the Void; now Casters of the Maw, and Exorcists of the Living.

• Necromancers, once Defilers of the Dead; now Caretakers of the Shackled, and Soulbinders of the Damned.

These are but a few of the many Mawsworn who now serve the Purpose of the First Ones, and the duty of the Maw. Bound forever to the Shadowlands to serve willingly but with the destiny to protect the mortal realm. To maintain the Caged ones and ensure they cannot return.

Marcus Mclide [Michael Myers variant]
Condemned to the Maw for the death of his sister, mother, and 121 other victims over the course of 22 years. Beheaded, revived and recaptured before resuming his dark plans.

Lei Shen [Thunder King]
Condemned to the Maw for the deaths of over 738 pandaren/jinyu slaves. Defiler of numerous souls and creator of the Saurok blight upon Pandaria. Killed, resurrected, then beheaded.

Lucas Lagrange [Black Hand]
Condemned to the Maw for the deaths of fourteen families, including eight children, two babes still in their cradles and three pets. Captured, tortured, and killed.

Overlord Krom’gar [Krom’gar Horde]
Condemned to the Maw for the deaths of seventeen Kaldorei younglings during the bomb drop on Thal’dorah Grove. Despite the offer of redemption, this soul claims it was the will of the Horde. Captured, fell to his death.

These are but a few of the many Caged while others roam free including the following:

Gorak Tul [Drust King]
Condemned for the slaughter of countless human settlements during the early years of Kul Tiran expansion. Escaped within the Blighted Lands before being defeated within Thros. Believed responsible for the Drust incursions of Ardenweald.

Gul’dan [Main Universe]
Condemned for the destruction of Draenor and the untold number of souls lost from this act. Unleashed the horde upon Azeroth further inflicting numerous human deaths at the onslaught of this fel infused army. Imprisoned, released, trapped, torn apart.
Status: Unknown. Location: Possibly haunts the Tomb of Sargeras.

Ephial [Draenor Garrison AU]
Condemned for the deaths of an entire garrison, slaughtered for personal experimentation and soul binding. Slew and manipulated his former Commander Admiral Taylor into a undead beast Soulscythe. Captured, killed.

Morbent Fel [Lich of Duskwood]
Condemned for treasonous acts against the dead and fallen. Stole corpses from Raven Hill for use in experimentation. Believed to have sided with the Burning Legion. Initially killed but later resurrected as a Lich. Status of his Phylactery is unknown.
Status: Corporeal but may return. Location: Still unknown within Duskwood.

As is their duty, the Mawsworn seek to claim these escaped souls and return them to the Cage. Their ongoing existence within the mortal realm is a immediate threat to the living and must be dealt with before it grows beyond our control.

The Mawsworn, as they are bound to the Shadowlands, are capable of visits to the mortal realm through secret rituals often used by the Maldraxxi as well. This allows them to operate in a physical form/avatar. Should the operator fall victim to a mortal death, their soul would return to the Maw until a replacement vessel is reconstructed.

The rankings of the Mawsworn are as follows:

Harbinger - Loyal to the Purpose of the Maw, Caretaker of the Damned, the Bound, and Keeper of the Caged.

Deathlord - Once Knights of Acherus, now Soldiers and the Sword of the Arbiter. These knights eradicate any physical manifestations or bodies of souls returned to the living by any means necessary.

Soulbinder - Exorcists of the Possessed. Once in service to the Void, they now serve to ensure the dead do not corrupt the living.

Necromancer - Servants to the House of Rituals, Mages and Warlocks skilled to capture and imprison escaped, or condemned souls.

Soul Seeker - Former members of the House of Eyes, now in service to the Maw. Seekers of the dead and the damned. They find the locations of the Condemned before an operation to reclaim is enacted.

The Judge - TBD

Wraith - Tormentors of the Caged. They ensure these vile, malicious souls are forever tormented removing any thought or will to escape.

Shade - Caretakers of the Caged. Monitors of the Maw.

Husk - Unbound in service to the Mawsworn. Those awaiting Trial and Purpose.

New Soul - Souls bound for the Maw, given a choice to become the Caged, or to serve as the Mawsworn.

Together, they form the elite army that is the Mawsworn. Unbound to any mortal alliance, they serve the will of the Purpose and the duty of the Maw. They serve willingly free from the Domination of any one voice to ensure the Mortal realm’s continued existence.

To those who understand the Purpose, the Mawsworn offer a path to ensure the greatest threats to the Mortal realm cannot escape their due justice and punishment. The Caged must never be released, and a keeper must always remain to ensure they remain bound.

Therefore, seek forth the Harbinger of the Maw, Lucion LeVance should you wish to serve the Purpose and protect the Mortal realm for all Eternity.

9 Likes

I love the idea of using the souls of old bosses and villains as prisoners. That in itself is genius since there are countless mobs, rares, elites, and raid bosses that have died and could be sent to the maw. Imagine being responsible for a soul and it escaping on your watch, finding a body and going rampant. Stormwind needs a mike meyers boss.

Does this mean that some guild members would be recruited or operate in the maw? I don’t think anyone has the capacity or endurance to roleplay in such a dark and depressing environment.

It could provide an opportunity for those seeking to complete the shadowlands to hunt down mounts or pets and have others around to keep company or discuss in an empty zone. Like temporary mercenaries for hire.

I think completing a level of torghast against their fallen kin would be the trial that new members be required to complete.

2 Likes

Some bosses like Gul’dan, aka Darkness Incarnate, make the perfect villain. He was torn to shreds in the MU, and his AU variant was just incinerated atop Nighthold. Either could return. And Lei Shen was around twice and still up to the same machinations of his former life. These kind of bosses never change so they will always be a threat.

The Maw is a wasteland but there is water and plants do grow. Korthia was pulled from the in-between but still has life, so its not completely barren. Regarding operation, I’m the only one officially bound to the maw unable to leave.

(I was stuck at the Dallas-Fort Worth airport for 18 hours once, the Maw is paradise compared to that.)

Others could still operate in the four realms or in the mortal realm as well.

3 Likes

Cool premise and a great way to make use of Shadowlands content.

1 Like

Keep this in mind whenever you’re using MU/AU in terms of the Shadowlands.

When a soul passes on into the Shadowlands all instances of that soul will reunite back into one whole. If your idea for Gul’dan has him be his Shadowlands version there will only be one complete Guldan.

1 Like

The AU/MU was the sketchy area i was unsure of. Like where did Maraad from the MU go when he died on AU Draenor, although we did see the MU soul of Maraad in AU’s Auchindoon during the Yrel Exarch quest chain.

At this point i wish we could trade the AU soul of Gul’dan with the MU soul. Because the AU was more evil and manipulative.

Despite how SL ended, i thought i was rather too much of an easy way out for all souls to be given a second chance. What if they are evil by nature and would enact the same level of terror in the Shadowlands they conducted in the mortal realm?

Plus this provides an opportunity to use souls from all worlds in Azeroth situations. Like an Arakkoa spirit in a mortal vessel or a haunting spirit. Paladins, priests can finally fill the role of exorcists and such with a good cause. The Exorcism of Colonel Jules from Honor Hold would be a good example.

As the Orc DK stated at the beginning of the SL, “Death is not an end but offers new beginnings.” And there will always be countless enemies threatening the mortal plane.

Interesting! I will be following this development and look forward to it!

1 Like

I will be recruiting/promoting the guild at the next Recruiting fair. I believe it will be held in Boralus, but i may be wrong. I saw it on another post but cannot recall exactly.

I’m unsure of the turnout, partially because of the attention the Plunderstorm is receiving, but also with the recent sharding that has made Stormwind quiet. I noticed it in Duskwood as a separation for level 70’s and lower levels a week ago. I pray it doesn’t happen then.

An idea i have been tossing around:
Given the 4 realms of the Shadowlands, having soldiers posted in each just as there would be in the mortal realm, gives members the chance to wear the related attire to their covenant.

2 Likes

I never imagined that the most interesting part of Shadowlands would be a guild that was created nearly 2 years after it ended.

Jokes aside, cool idea. I wish you the best!

2 Likes

Very interesting guild concept. I have a Death Knight that would probably be willing to interact with this!

Unfortunately, a recent family issue has risen so i will be offline for some time. I appreciate the support and attention towards this guild idea and i was extremely excited to post during recruiting events, and hope that once my ordeal has passed and me and my brothers have had time to heal i will be back.

Until then, stay safe and keep an eye out for the souls of criminals from the maw.

3 Likes

… So this explains why there is been an uptick in interesting antagony towards the Scarlets.

On one end on an out of character level I want to reject everything about shadowlands.

On the other hand this seems like an excellent execution of what is generally disliked lore, and is intriguing enough to make me want to interact with it.

A combination of Tolkien concepts regarding villains, the history of the Scarlet Crusade possibly repeating itself, and a potential war between two opposing forces that could lead to unprecedented events.

At the moment, we need someone to fit the bill as the antagonist. Details to be explained in person.

I’m not familiar with the Sigil but if you would like to be included in the idea i am glad for the participation. I would love to have an immersion from the scarlet community or those most interested at the very least.

Admittedly I am not really a part of the sigil anymore and will probably be a lone wolf until certain things are rectified/clarified, but I think we already had a passing whisper exchange in the stormwind graveyard yesterday about cats and mice.

Sorry i was in SL. Possibly another player of interest to the Mawsworn. Unfortunately the GM didn’t accept my application before goin offline so i have no power in the guild.

I actually just acquired the offshoot of the guild name so we can resume until he returns.

1 Like

I actually had to do a double take because your forum avatars look identical, but I didn’t even realize you’re not Lucion.

Firstly, it sounds like something serious has happened, and I hope Lucion and his family will be okay. I hope he returns. You can tell he put care and passion into making something that sounds interesting. Something that makes other players excited to be a part of.

You made an off shoot guild of your own and aren’t in Lucion’s guild. Did you receive his blessing to represent him and his idea while he is away? It doesn’t sound like it but what do I know.

I think it is okay to be enthusiastic, and to want to help recruit and network while he is away. To hold guild RP and build bonds with the intention of merging into his original guild when he’s back. I don’t think it is okay to thrust cross-guild RP upon nearly every Scarlet Crusade guild and derail recruitment threads.

Do you think Lucion would be okay with this? How do you know he didn’t have plans for his guild’s first campaign? Don’t you think you should have waited to run any RP campaigns and arcs by him first or collaborate at the least?

I don’t know you or Lucion, but I’m curious about these things because it isn’t a good look to a spectator so far. Maybe you guys are friends, maybe you talk to him and have his blessings. I don’t know.

First impressions are everything and I think most would agree you should have contacted guilds privately for cross RP, especially if you do not represent Lucion and Mawsworn. You could potentially damage reputation before he even has a chance to get his idea off the ground, even if you did it with the best of intentions.

1 Like

Me and Lucion are veteran buddies and we live in the same town. :two_men_holding_hands:

Long story short we were working on an idea for our first major guild promotion. He built the recruitment page and I worked on the first RP storyline. We were going to promote during the last recruiting fair in Borlaus, but a family emergency came up. His mom was involved in a hit and run, not sure of the status. :pray:

Feel free to post condolences here, I will pass them along or he may hop on to respond.

I wasn’t going to bother him about the guild name or have him worry about the guild/inviting me, I figured it would be incentive. But I wanted to still continue the idea and promote the story. I did the offshoot guild just for the time being. When he returns I’ll gladly move everything over.

Until then my plan was to work on the event\story and if others participate, hold a silent vigil as respect and record it.

He’s also a 2B2T player but I don’t know his account name or details.

2 Likes

Good to hear! I was just curious. Thank you for answering!

Also, that is awful about his mother. Hopefully she will be okay.

I hope this guild does well, its a really cool idea I think. I don’t have any characters that would fit in it, but I like darker themes and the spooky places in WoW so I sincerely wish it success and was just concerned what was going on with this cool idea!

Too many people wouldn’t agree with you. I think it’s those that don’t have the desire to open their minds beyond just what’s in front of them. Some only play parts of the game that are acceptable and block out the rest. I take every aspect of wow as a challenge and seek to include it.

There are untold numbers of stories waiting to be created.

Food for thought:

I sat and watched the souls coming thru Oribos one day and counted how many per second. Did the math from seconds to years.

During the two years players were in the shadowlands, approximately 756 million souls were sent to the maw.

Think from the death of Argus up to the 2nd arbiter, how many souls traveled to the maw total? And how many would have been saved by players.

Even one character like Sylvanas will not go thru that many souls so easily, as she may end up serving a lifetime sentence of an elf carrying out her charge and punishment.

How many players have had their characters or family die in story and end up in the Maw especially during the Fourth War?

If you knew the soul of a loved one was suffering in the Maw, as a character would you not write a story to go save them or just leave them in pain with no hope?

I do wonder how many players took that dive to save someone they valued at any cost.

If any who read this have a story, do please share it.

3 Likes

Food for Thought:

Do you think that lost souls could still be recovered and not simply be completely destroyed like during the drought that affected Ardenweald.

Given how many spirits still had a hand in the creation of powerful weapons or other devices that their own essence can still linger within them, thus a portion of their own soul can still be recovered.

Take Ursoc for example: Although his body faded away, the claws remained, and legends say a fragment of his spirit lingered within them. This is regarding the Claws of Ursoc.

I for one was kind of upset and saddened at the total loss of Ursoc, but what if any soul can still be recovered and revived. The First Ones would have had some form of failsafe in place to preserve souls even if the machinations of death were interrupted.

You can’t possibly make all that was in such a grand design and then leave a big hole in it.

For those who are Arthas supporters, what if a portion of his essence lived on in his steed, Invincible. Or if you were Garrosh fans and still wielded Gorehowl.

Ponder the idea and the possibilities…

1 Like