The Level Squish will NOT work...here's why

I hope blizzard listen to this. your post is perfect!
i agree with you the legion exp was an amazing!!! cause more fun with classes
artifact weapon skins was so fun!!
Order Hall was great but if u added this with garrison would be more fun actions
WQ paragon with mounts is perfect.
BfA at the begin was bad with endgame before patches. i know last the patch of BfA will save i know it. 8.1 is really SLOW!!!
problem is i wont play other classes you know why cause no the order hall not there or artifact weapon or classes story quests.
im sorry bout this english is awful lol.

And what happens in 10.0? They said level squish, nothing more nothing less. They didn’t say anything about “paragon levels” or any of this other stuff people are throwing out there.

Because the whole “new player” thing kinda falls apart when you remember that this game isn’t static and 60 is going to turn into 70 then 80 and so on and we’re right back where we started.

This is true.

I personally feel this is true as well.

However the level squish is not designed to address this.
It is a proposal that intends to reduce the time gating between creating a character, and getting to max level ie current content.

Currently the hours required to get from 1-120 are around 45+ hours for most newer players.
I’ve heard of serious speed grinders reducing it to around 30 hours.

Either way, this change is aimed at new players. As the game has become more accessible at max level, nothing has been done to address the actual levelling system, it’s redundant, it’s boring, and it’s long.
On top of that 120 levels are a massive mental hurdle to overcome, even without the actual tedium. “Just 80 more levels to go…just 60 more levels to go…”

Actually, the level squish was proposed months before Classic Beta was even released. There are no correlations between the two.

The level cap isn’t THE problem, but it is A problem in the current game.

Essentially they are going all out on the live version of the game being the accessibility version by fixing probably the biggest wall preventing new players from accessing the game; A massive grind to get to the content.

Also Legion was just the full version of BfA, it was an ok expansion but not great.
It had all of the issues BfA has but implemented in a slightly better manner. Ie without the server instability, lack of story, lag, and repeated learning of the same AP traits.

Also, only three things were wrong with Cata (unless you REALLY hate the bronze dragon flight), LFR, removal of class trees, and the immediate nerf of dungeons.
Basically just two really if you consider the dungeon and LFR issue to be “a change of philosophy on LFG content so that it couldn’t be failed” instead of two separate issues.

It took longer to get to 60 in classic. 70 in BC. 80 in WotLK. 85 in Cata.
There were no complaints then.
I don’t see what the point here is.

And this here is pretty much the sum of my argument in other posts about this.

This one was different, as it was a different question, blaming BFA for the squish. I addressed that specifically.

In other posts on the subject i have pretty much said what I just quoted.

Further i have little faith the issue will be properly resolved and we will be right back in the boat we are now.

At least both sides of the argument can agree on this. No matter what the sole issue is, we’re gonna be back right where we started in a few short years.

1 Like

Frankly, I don’t want them to cut my level in half just so they can trickle it back to me over the next 5 years or so.

It destroys every illusion of character progression. At least it does for me. And I didn’t have many illusions left to start with.

2 Likes

The Department of Unintended Consequences has been understaffed for many years.

To be honest I believe it becomes the new “ilvl squish”, every X expansions we will also require a level squish as well.

It’s either that or they just completely remove a progressive levelling system entirely. But with their focus on constantly increasing ilvl (by a lot) you run into the problem of scaling on secondaries.

1 Like

I still believe we need more information before we start assuming things.

Ion and Lore need to address this fully in the next Q&A, as to the exact purpose of the squish, the level they plan on dropping us to, if we’re getting a a talent tree revamp and what will leveling be like in future expansions.

Devote an entire hour or two to just answering questions related to this topic.

The game wasn’t intended to be “accessible” then.
The genre was a lot less “casual friendly”.

When the game was in it’s early stages we accepted that it would require time and dedication to accomplish anything. The game was better for it.

But that is not todays game.

It makes no sense for a game that hands you everything at end game not to hand you everything at the start as well.
There was disconnect between the philosophy of the game design.

Personally I just can’t wait till Classic. I’m not a big* fan of loot box simulator.

The level squish makes sense so you get a sense of reward for leveling. At this point you get nothing new after something like level 80 for most classes aside from your late talents. and then you don’t get anything past 100 at all.

Squishing the levels will push these “progression” rewards closer together and that’s really it.

Sometimes its a damned if you do/damned if you don’t scenario on this forum.

If people post something short, someone will say they should suggest ideas and opinions rather than just rant. And if they do a long and detailed post on their ideas, someone else will cry out “wall of text”.

Either way, if you find it tedious, don’t read it. It really is just that choice.

I don’t believe the issue of a level squish relates to current content. I think its there for players starting new characters, whether they be new, returning or current subscribers. The philosophy would be to make the levelling experience less daunting.

It was less casual friendly, but the accessibility thing isn’t true.

Classic WoW was INCREDIBLY accessible. All you had to do was invest time. The more time you put in, the more access you got, but there were no physical barriers preventing you from reaching those places.

There was no XP or Item Loss. The game was incredibly casual friendly for 2004.

What’s annoying is they’re all literally saying the same thing, word for word.

More people who don’t understand that the benefit of a level squish is psychological, rather than immediately tangible by number crunching.

Looks like someone watches Asmongold

Elaborate.

I don’t particularly enjoy Asmongoloid but ok.

By your own admission though, the level cap isn’t why BfA is considered a bad expansion. But it could be part of why leveling is so painful. Changing the level cap probably will do little to effect the upcoming expansion (which is likely when this would be implemented), but it would change the entire leveling experience.
Even if the leveling is the same amount of time (with the time to hit every level being equivalent to however many levels it would have been pre squish), you’d still be far more likely to actually earn things like new spells, talent points and whatnot, instead of a level empty of raw stats that barely mater in a world that scales and slightly improved item levels.

Your argument doesn’t really show that the level squish will be a fail, so much as it argues why BfA is a poor expansion, a topic that has been beaten to death more than the oldest mounts in the Forsaken army.