The kelfin love/allied race discussion thread ✿

Unfortunately, I don’t think the datamined gilgoblin cosmetics spell is the smoking gun for imminent gilgoblin customization. It seems to be related to adding the Throne of the Tides dungeon to the Mythic+ rotation. There are also new Naz’jar tempest witch and spiritmender cosmetics spells, which are other dungeon mobs with updates for mythic difficulty.

I checked out the dungeon on the PTR, and female gilgoblin models have been added in addition to the males that were there originally. However, what I was really looking for was gilgoblin skins on the modern player character model. Currently, all gilgoblins in game (including the Unshackled) use the Cata-era goblin model, with lower resolution textures and painted-on eyes. These can’t really be slapped on the modern player character—the textures will have to be remade to match the model updates that came with BfA.

Gilgoblin is definitely my most-wanted customization/“new race,” so I hope they become playable eventually. Neri and company are hanging out in Orgrimmar for a reason! I think Blizzard has pivoted away from allied races, with adding high elfs, Wildhammer dwarves, dark rangers, manari, etc. as customizations, so I am trying to adjust my expectations. I do believe that tying a water-breathing racial to the gilgoblin skins is a must, and possibly changing the summoned bank NPC from a hobgobin to a sea giant holding a treasure chest.

3 Likes

I would have liked them to be an allied race but the horde ended up getting a brand new race that doesn’t feel like an allied race as the theme for all but them was genetic offshoots.

2 Likes

so you want to add a different tinted goblin with fins?

don’t be like the alliance: mechanized gnomes. what a disappointment.

I see more standard gnomes in game than I ever see mechanized gnomes.

Huh. So if that is just related to that dungeon somehow, would that mean that there is still a chance for Kelfin to be a proper full race alongside Ankoan?

Sounds like potentially good news if so. However, I still don’t know if Blizzard would go that route with the Kelfin or if they would just slap them onto Goblins as a Customization Race. The latter wouldn’t surprise me at all, and with how Customization Races have been implemented, my worries still stand since it is a possibility.

Regardless, while we would prefer them as a full race, I do think we should continue discussions on them as a Customization Race, since there are many issues that need to be addressed with that (water breathing, summoning something instead of a Hobgoblin, etc). I can’t help but feel like Blizzard would rather cut corners to save costs, and having feedback to try and avoid having them just feel like Goblins cosplaying as Kelfin would be important. Not to mention seeing the Unshackled officially joining the Horde and having presence in-game in areas.

Still, it gives some hope of seeing them as a full race instead someday. Hoping for the best for them regardless of what is done with them.

—26 days until Blizzcon starts (Nov. 3rd)!—

:japanese_goblin::trident:

4 Likes

will they be horde monsters or alliance warriours

So it’s safe to say Gilgoblins won’t become a customization for now because they reworked Throne of the Tides Mythic+ and they added female Gilgoblins in this dungeon.

Imgur

Other thing to add to this thread:

Imgur
(Tabard for the Gilgoblins in the Horde - by TheAceofHearth)

Imgur
(Shaman totem for the Gilgoblins - by TheAceofHearth)

1 Like

Just got a message from the OP:

Let everyone know I appreciate the continued support. I haven’t been subbed for a while but I am looking forward to see if anything turns up at blizzcon regarding gilblins.

5 Likes

what are they exactly??

Kelfin can share goblin models like red draenei share with regular draene, only problem is kelfin can breathe under water and regular goblins can’t.

I’m sure Blizzard can work something out.

:panda_face:

2 Likes

They did make a fel version of the gift of the Naaru that used by the Man’ari…

2 Likes

I’m going to go cut my eyeballs out with a fork now after seeing this thread

Thanks for posting bud!

what is a kelfin??? is it a keebler elf???

With the Unshackled near to Orgrimmar, I would not surprise if they want to join the Horde in a near future. Now the question is when. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

what is an unshackeled

The Q&A thread has opened and I asked a questions on behalf of a few race request megathreads. I’ll post a link to the post and the question I asked for this megathread below:

“Since the Unshackled have been hanging around on the shores of Durotar since the end of BfA and that Azshara is still out there and likely up to no good, will we see more of them and the Ankoan in the future when she becomes a threat again?”

Worth a try, even if it will likely not get answered.

I have a lot to think about and type up for the various race request megathreads. One of the biggest things, especially for Kelfin, would be that the Allied Race system is being utilized again. This is big news, as Kelfin could still be their own race as opposed to being slapped onto Goblins and being able to drown in a drop of rain.

I’ll be making a post here and in other megathreads when I can. Got lots to think and type about. Will post when I can! :smiley:

:japanese_goblin::trident:

5 Likes

are they related to elves??? are they horde or alliance???

Imgur

(Gilgoblin female shaman - by Marie Ludwig)

3 Likes

what is that

1 Like

I didn’t see this here but one racial mount for Gilgoblin should be a snapdragon like this one:

2 Likes