The "item level Wall" is up...again

So, ignoring the false premise…

Yeah, I know. It’s almost like it’s a multiplayer game, or something.

2 Likes

People like this ruined the game.

5 Likes

Honestly, I’m of the mind that the “wall” is only really a problem these days because of how quickly you reach it. As a hardcore “casual” player, I see no reason we should be getting 400 or higher gear from world quests or lower level content.

The real problem is that I hit ~380 within a week of hitting max and I’m left feeling like I have no where to go. The only solution to that is for it to take longer to get to ~380. They can’t give us ever increasing rewards at a casual level, and they can’t make the harder stuff more accessible (or it wouldn’t be harder content).

Which means that we can either hit the wall very fast, and flounder until we either give up on that toon or deal with content we don’t feel like doing, or we can hit the wall slowly over longer periods of time.

More gear faster is not the answer to hitting the gear wall. You’re just pushing the wall farther out, but eventually you’re going to hit it. At the speed of gear acquisition we’re bound to hit it within weeks of hitting cap.

~380 is enough to start your own M+ groups. They’re not always going to pan out, and that’s always been true of groups throughout the games history.

However, I’m not sure what “opportunities” you’re looking for here. The only reason to get higher gear is to do higher content, and you’re brushing up to the point where you can hop over to M+ and start pushing gear that way.

It’s exactly how everyone else does it, they just don’t seem to think it’s as onerous as you seem to think it is.

As I said, there has always been, and will always be, a gear wall. The point at which you must do group content, rely on random sheer luck, or buy BoE raid gear.

This is by design, because end game content is, at the farthest reaches, intended to be group driven content.

Not to sound like an elitist, because I’m very much casual, but… if you’re not going to hop onto the treadmill, you don’t need the higher gear. If you want to get on the treadmill, you’ll need to do the footwork. Sometimes, yes, that means doing only 1 or 2 mythics some days because you couldn’t find a group.

Alternately, I’ve had pretty good luck just making a group, labeling it “friendly”, and inviting people that seem like an appropriate ilvl. I get some people who aren’t very good, and I’ve not always made the timer, but you don’t need to make the timer to get gear, either. (Except a single bonus piece).

TLDR

The hamster wheel works thusly:

1. Do content to get better gear.
  2. Equip better gear.
  3. Do harder content to get even better gear.
  4. Equip even better gear.
  5. Do even harder content to get some of the best gear.
  6. Bask in your gear or fish for procs.

Which is to say that you don’t get gear equal to the content your doing before you go do it. You get gear that allows you to do content that gives you better gear. You’re already above M0 (370), and at this point the gear improvements come from doing the content that gives you better gear.

Basically, you get better gear by doing content that is difficult for your gear level. There is no other way to do this.

397 and I have never done a mythic dungeon or any raid above LFR. So, no. You haven’t hit the wall yet.

1 Like

You get 400 gear from the Warfront + the Mythic dungeon weekly whenever that pops up.

If you are not doing M+ Dungeons, raiding or PvP you do not need better gear.

For Mythics do your best to get a key then form your own group if needed. I have not had trouble getting low level keys done but it can take a while waiting for a tank if few are online.

Raiding should not take you that long, join a guild if you don’t want to wait on PuGs, your gear level should be fine for a heroic but if all you are about is gear just do M+.

As for PvP it’s not the best way to gear but the chest you get every week helps.

1 Like

I’m not really sure what you expect from an MMO. Doing group content for higher end gear has been the norm since day 1. I don’t get why you think it’s going to be different 14.5 years in?

Honesty, this expansion passes out gear like Halloween candy 10 minutes before people turn off their porch lights. You can get incredibly high gear from many sources, especially with the silly WF/TF system, and the catch-up mechanics are the most generous they have ever been. In fact, they are buffing them yet again to really almost silly levels here very soon.

"Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)

Raid Finder (and Mythic) difficulty for Crucible of Storms will open next week, April 23. Similar to Battle of Dazar’alor, you will need an average item level of 350 to queue for it. To help ensure players get raid ready, we are increasing the maximum item level for certain World Quests rewards. This will include the following:

• World Quest rewards will go up to ilvl 370 (from 360)
  • Emissary equipment will go up to ilvl 395 (from 385)
  • Emissary Azerite Armor will go up to ilvl 400 (from 385)
  • Against Overwhelming Odds (when available) will go up to ilvl 395 (from 385)

Once the update is live it will affect active rewards like the Emissaries, so you may want to plan for when you will turn those in."

Bottom line, make some friends and/or join a guild.

You don’t need better gear to do wq’s and lfr/lfg.

Don’t worry tho, Blizz got ya covered. Seems they think this should be a single player game too.

Hey, I play with other people when doing world quests (sometimes even join a party) and normal dungeons and LFR. :grin:

The biggest problem in wow is there is no way to develop your character outside of an rng loot drop. Its a dead set boring system which is cheap to design and highly addictive.

PAY FOR A MYTHIC CARRY. Stop grinding for gear its faster to just pay.

i got to 406 via pugs and engineering if i can you can too. mostly m+ and 10+ keys but i did it with only pugs so its doable if you really want it.

mythic then
mythic plus then
heroic raiding then
mythic raiding then ? alt time i havent done mythic and i dont want to…

side note: i haven’t done a single world boss on this toon.

I think you people forget that mobs now scale. Its not like before when your purps you bought from the auction house where enough to let you crush the outside content.
Its not the same as it was, even if your geared out you still have to use some effort to do dailies. ( Not one shot anymore)

And epics from the auction house now are a joke., crafted gear for 10,20,30, 40K etc… No thanks gold isnt raining from the sky anymore.

I completely agree either give casuals back a casual atmosphere with mobs that let us feel strong or start making high end gear accessible to -> CASUAL WORLD QUEST/EXPLORER PLAYERS, the ones spending real life money in your shops and keeping this game a float.

( Alot of high end raiders and mythic players are selling everything in game for gold they aren’t spending real money , we are! )

it scales to apoint at 406 i one shot things in world content. i think a softcap for scaling does exist

I don’t think you should have much of a problem… I’m sitting at 396 and have barely done any group content at all, and mostly only play for ~2 hours on some (not all) evenings. In fact I haven’t played at all for the past couple of weeks because I was out on vacation.

Dude, PvP isn’t bad when you get into it. They’ve done an excellent job this expansion with gearing (for the most part). Grind out your 500 conquest points and keep working at it! At first I was frustrated because I got killed so much. BG’s can be a blast, and with mercenary, horde can queue much faster. I think it’s fun to see things from “the other side”. World PvP is really lopsided and unbalanced. Unfortunately, invasions are crap because of sharding with players vanishing right in front of you. It always comes down to you having to be in a raid group to get anything done which sucks because it’s always lopsided.

Its the ‘give a mouse a cookie’ in practice. People have always set limits on themselves and then complained when they couldn’t take the next step in progression.

1 Like

you could not be more wrong look at my profile a few LFrs and not much else yet i am 396

1 Like

Since you are not prople friendly and prefer solo loot or easy loot you will be pretty limited and even more stuck to RNG.

My druid is about 387 and thats just world quests some LFR, world bosses, and loot boxes from daily and weekly quests. I do pvp once and awhile. I probably could get a bit higher but it will dependent on getting warforged procs.

380 to 390 will be about it unless you find a solid raid team, or myhric dungeon group. Really thats more then enough power to do any world quests and non group activities that you prefer.

I’m mostly solo these days myself, however, I don’t feel we need gear any higher than what Bliz is currently giving us for only doing that particular content. I’m not saying Bliz should do away with the whatever this current catch up mechanic is, however, I really don’t need mythic level gear to do world content.

Note: that once a month piece of 400 gear does not make or break me in the content I do. Be glad Bliz was nice enough to let us solo artists have that.

If it’s only ilvl you care about: go do raids or mythic+'s. Stop asking for handouts.

Signed: someone that has been on the casual side of things for many years now.

1 Like

Sounds like you beat the game. Level an alt, achievement hunt, pet battle. Lots to do, than make pointless topics about it.