The Ion Response

Ion is God.
11/08/2018 09:01 AMPosted by Jacon
people are going to end their subscription.

Less competition for mobs, quest objectives, and resources?

Say it ain't so???!!!
11/08/2018 07:37 AMPosted by Brickston
11/08/2018 07:24 AMPosted by Morwynn
They always say "we understand" and follow up with "..but we feel" as if their !@#$ don't stink... these devs are seriously clueless. Look at various articles for diablo and such "developers are confused as to why theres so much hate for new diablo game"... they are just so out of touch with their players and that is a deadly way for a business whos success is reliant on their player base

They do understand. But, that doesn't mean everything people want makes sense. They understand why we don't want sharding. They also understand that there is potentially hundreds of thousands who will complain and react and leave and not come back if they can't kill a plainstrider in Mulgore cause it's packed with 300 baby tauren at once.

Those are the things devs worry about. We see our own personal scope, not the big picture. The fact of the matter is in the big picture starter area only sharding makes more sense than the few thousand active reddit or forum posters that are filled with vitriol about it.

Your view is just as out of touch. It's unrealistic to expect that because you don't mind waiting an hour and a half for a chest respawn for the booty key in Durotar that thousands of others are going to be okay with it. Because there's a 7-10min respawn timer on that. The orc/troll starting area is very popular. It isn't unrealistic to expect people to queue up for that item and be trying to ninja it as fast as they can. Which then you get the raging, name calling, and toxicity. THAT is actually the deadly business model.

Lol my view is out of touch huh? It's so out of touch to want the game as it was which made it wildly successful.

If babies are gonna cry about not being able to kill something due to high population then suck it up. They can create more than a couple servers to combat that if they wanted.

If my view is out of touch you should go back in time to tell the OG devs that as well.

And I'm sorry, is name calling and raging not a thing in retail with all these improvements you speak of?
If I own a company and the overwhelming majority of my customers are telling me.they want a true vanilla experience, I'm going to.give them just that.
After all, this project is for those people.
I'm curious about what they're going to do with IF/Org once there's a healthy population of 60s.
11/08/2018 12:34 PMPosted by Moseisley
I'm curious about what they're going to do with IF/Org once there's a healthy population of 60s.

There is a lot of unkowns with this whole sharding thing.

I honestly hope they arent trying to take the easy way out to appeal to players instead of coming up with a better solution
11/08/2018 12:34 PMPosted by Moseisley

Lot of people in Ironforge tonight - SHARD IT
Jeeze a ton of people flooded into Silithus when the gate opened - SHARD IT
Why are there so many people pvping in Southshore - SHARD IT
Peak hours and all the raid teams are zerging blackrock mountain - SHARD IT

Lol my view is out of touch huh? It's so out of touch to want the game as it was which made it wildly successful.

If babies are gonna cry about not being able to kill something due to high population then suck it up. They can create more than a couple servers to combat that if they wanted.

If my view is out of touch you should go back in time to tell the OG devs that as well.

And I'm sorry, is name calling and raging not a thing in retail with all these improvements you speak of?
If I own a company and the overwhelming majority of my customers are telling me.they want a true vanilla experience, I'm going to.give them just that.

Yes, your view is out of touch. Can you make a classic car with EXACTLY the same parts as were manufactured in the 80 years ago it was made?

No.

Can you get it close enough that most people won't notice?

Yes.

Should you worry about the 3 enthusiasts out of 100 that will freak out about how it isn't EXACTLY down to the diameter of the screw hole?

No.

Some things people are nerding out about is just unrealistic. It's impossible to make it exactly the same. It makes NO SENSE FISCALLY AS A COMPANY THAT DOES THIS FOR PROFIT to go and reboot retired hardware and try to get it exactly down the smallest detail right. Nor, should they.

Again, if you're not going to play over something stupid, that's fine. When you set unrealistic expectations you can't really be that upset when they aren't met. I'll take an 80+% accurate classic experience over none.

Again, I'm no change. But, I appreciate the perspective of what is realistic. If they retuned classes, or changed something major? I wouldn't play. But if my copper ore stacks to 20, or there's sharding for 1-10? I'm going to not love it, but I'll get over it pretty quickly.

In response to going back in time to tell the OGs they were out of touch: it wouldn't do any good for quite a few reasons, and your argument is actually stupid.

Why that literally was a terrible argument:

The technology didn't exist.
The game was brand new and there was nothing to draw from as a blizzard product to look at to see where the difficulties were going to arise.
The mangos servers could only handle a max of 2500 people.
So yes, let me go back in a time and ask the devs to invent a decade later's technology, now. Seriously?

Plus, if you were actually there for launch:
The servers crashed horribly
They were scrambling to launch additional servers
Quest zones in some cases were unplayable
They didn't recover for several months

It was the first time anything had ever seen anything like it. So, seriously, stop throwing out edicts that don't make any sense. You're being an obtuse brat.
11/07/2018 09:04 PMPosted by Mogar
I actually think the devs don't want to do it. Ythisens made a discord post where she(?) said she didn't want it, but it's a necessary evil. I don't agree it's a necessary evil (private servers have proven this). But the fact is once it's in the game, it'll never be gone from the game. The entitled players this is meant to appeal to will make sure it never is taken out.

ythisens is a guy. https://wow.gamepedia.com/Caden_House

to your other point, if private servers have proven anything its that sharding in the first few zones is a good idea. 10k people unchecked is annoying for questing
11/09/2018 05:37 AMPosted by Brickston

Yes, your view is out of touch. Can you make a classic car with EXACTLY the same parts as were manufactured in the 80 years ago it was made?

No.

Yes.

Should you worry about the 3 enthusiasts out of 100 that will freak out about how it isn't EXACTLY down to the diameter of the screw hole?

No.

Some things people are nerding out about is just unrealistic. It's impossible to make it exactly the same. It makes NO SENSE FISCALLY AS A COMPANY THAT DOES THIS FOR PROFIT to go and reboot retired hardware and try to get it exactly down the smallest detail right. Nor, should they.

Again, if you're not going to play over something stupid, that's fine. When you set unrealistic expectations you can't really be that upset when they aren't met. I'll take an 80+% accurate classic experience over none.

Again, I'm no change. But, I appreciate the perspective of what is realistic. If they retuned classes, or changed something major? I wouldn't play. But if my copper ore stacks to 20, or there's sharding for 1-10? I'm going to not love it, but I'll get over it pretty quickly.

In response to going back in time to tell the OGs they were out of touch: it wouldn't do any good for quite a few reasons, and your argument is actually stupid.

The game was brand new and there was nothing to draw from as a blizzard product to look at to see where the difficulties were going to arise.
So yes, let me go back in a time and ask the devs to invent a decade later's technology, now. Seriously?

It was the first time anything had ever seen anything like it. So, seriously, stop throwing out edicts that don't make any sense. You're being an obtuse brat.

Yup I'm being an obtuse brat for voicing my own opinion. Lol I hope you had fun taking the time to type all that out when it serves no purpose other than to help you feel better.

As for blizzard, those devs need to get their heads out of their behinds quick if they want to accomplish anything good at this point they are shooting themselves in the foot with each new release due to just how out of touch they are with their players.

Dont trust me tho, their decrease in reported revenue and dropped stock value speaks for itself.
Their response to sharding really feeds into the conspiracy. It looks like wow classic is just an activision money grab that also allows them a better legal footing to close down all private servers even though the private servers will be giving a closer recreation of vanilla wow. Not exactly the same of course but closer due to not having sharding. People also don't trust blizzard not to shard the AQ event.

Its funny to me in a way because they had one job. Recreate wow vanilla with maybe just upgraded graphics. Instead they want to make it this different experience.
Ion is unable to respond at this time. He and his team are probably in front of the board responding to the question:

"WTF is going on?!?!"

Now, he has been able to explain some of this away in the past. "Natural decline." "Our base is growing older, we need to appeal to younger base." "Kids these days don't want to play for hours a week... they want to pop in on the toilet and get a couple epic drops. (pun intended)"

And guess what? They are now having to explain why they are wrong. Why their stock is dropping.. why their base is revolting against them. Why their forums are set ablaze. Why an amazing diablo universe cinematic that probably cost them hundreds of thousands to produce has 565,000 dislikes and only 22,000 likes.

And those bloodshot eyes of his are darting around the room looking for an escape route, or at least a scapegoat.

Someone on every team is going to be sacrificed... perhaps more. It's the way of big business... they want to feel assured that "whoever was responsible for the loss of 10 billion+ dollars in 6 days" is no longer affiliated with Blizzard/Activision.

Edit> correct amoutn of current loss is 10 billion

11/07/2018 08:46 PMPosted by Spirals
We understand you don't want sharding
We understand you don't want loot trading
We understand you don't want new spell animations
We understand you want the old quest texts
We understand you want the old UI options

...that said

We don't care and we're gonna do it however we want.
11/09/2018 05:37 AMPosted by Brickston

No.

Yes.

No.

Yup I'm being an obtuse brat for voicing my own opinion. Lol I hope you had fun taking the time to type all that out when it serves no purpose other than to help you feel better.

As for blizzard, those devs need to get their heads out of their behinds quick if they want to accomplish anything good at this point they are shooting themselves in the foot with each new release due to just how out of touch they are with their players.

Dont trust me tho, their decrease in reported revenue and dropped stock value speaks for itself.

Yeah, it was a really long wasted 90 seconds while I was taking a pewp.
just dont take tickets about loot problem solved that excuse of nessecary evil is crap.
I actually think the devs don't want to do it. Ythisens made a discord post where she(?) said she didn't want it, but it's a necessary evil. I don't agree it's a necessary evil (private servers have proven this). But the fact is once it's in the game, it'll never be gone from the game. The entitled players this is meant to appeal to will make sure it never is taken out.

It's something that will destroy the early community...by the way, the formation of the community is arguably the most important time. And it's during that time in which the community will be separate and segmented. Therefore, sharding does the most damage at launch. And it's something that will seep into the game. The devs will keep pushing when to take it away. Players will say they don't want it gone. The very same Current WoW players who get to play Classic for free. But they don't want to deal with the inconveniences. If Blizzard removes those inconveniences and gives credence to that attitude at launch, which they will do if they add sharding, the flood gates are now open. Pandora's Box has been opened. That design decision will dictate the expectations of players. And not just on this issue.

Who cares what "Ythisens" says, so basically some glorified forum watcher makes a tweet and that holds water? Seriously, what she says she has ZERO bearing on Wow in general.....
Blizz is trying to fix something that isn't a problem. Let ALL HELL break loose. That is a classic experience. As usual, Blizzard's modern WoW desires to "normalize" your experience comes through.

It's something that will destroy the early community...by the way, the formation of the community is arguably the most important time. And it's during that time in which the community will be separate and segmented. Therefore, sharding does the most damage at launch. And it's something that will seep into the game. The devs will keep pushing when to take it away. Players will say they don't want it gone. The very same Current WoW players who get to play Classic for free. But they don't want to deal with the inconveniences. If Blizzard removes those inconveniences and gives credence to that attitude at launch, which they will do if they add sharding, the flood gates are now open. Pandora's Box has been opened. That design decision will dictate the expectations of players. And not just on this issue.

Private servers haven't proven this. The games broken at launch for private servers unless they add dynamic respawns.

I'd rather them keep sharding. I'd rather actually be able to play the game for the first two weeks. Also if they don't add sharding and the game is broken for two weeks many doom and gloomers are going to jump ship saying the games broke.

They cant win with you people either way.
11/07/2018 09:18 PMPosted by Cyberwins
So blizzard is choosing to change the dynamic of launch to appease LITERAL TOURISTS.

Because tourists are a reality that Vanilla didn't have.

Folks can cry #nochanges all they want, but the world has changed.

Unless Classic was $60 for the box, and $15 a month on its own, there's going to be tourists.

And the sharding will allow those folks that love and are committed to Classic to stay and play in an environment best suited to them, AFTER the flood of tourists have come and gone. Its as much to keep the servers stable during the crush at launch as it is to keep the game available without over provisioning realms in the first place.

Provisioning realms to handle the drive by onslaught of the tourists is NOT the way to do this. Sharding lets them keep the realm count much more realistic and lets folks come and play the game until they fade away with time.

Should they come and stay, they can always provision new realms later. But far, far better to have too few at start with the temporary boost sharding provides, than create too many that are soon abandoned forcing mergers and bulk transfers.
11/09/2018 06:18 AMPosted by Tristany
"Kids these days don't want to play for hours a week... they want to pop in on the toilet and get a couple epic drops. (pun intended)"

Its not just kids these days a lot of adults are like this.
11/07/2018 10:07 PMPosted by Rush
Sharding is a deal breaker for a vast majority of vanilla enthusiasts. IF they're going to put in sharding they may as well cancel the project altogether.

word, no resub for me if sharding/loot trading is implemented
Why no sharding (or two-hour loot trade window) or any other "Quality of Life improvements"??

Blizzard, please watch this video (3:00 min.):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0smIlSqMYs

Please STOP attempting to introduce ANY non-Vanilla game mechanics (like trade windows) or non-Vanilla gameplay-technology (like sharding).

I don't want "New Vanilla" or "Classic Vanilla" - I just want VANILLA. As J. Allen Brack said at BlizzCon 2017, it's our favorite flavor. :)