The Horde & the cosmic chart : problems, solutions

(Wall of text incoming. Sorry about that)

The Horde has a notoriously poor connection to the cosmic chart. Which is not a problem in itself ; what makes it a problem is that the game has effectively taken a cosmic turn, to the point where most expansion concepts we can think of right now are based on cosmic narratives (Life vs Void, exploring the Emerald Dream, continuation of the First Ones plotline, etc). But as things stand… Horde players could hardly feel involved in any of those. That’s why this problem needs to be addressed.

I was reflecting on how much both factions relate to the cosmic forces, and so I tried to compile my thoughts on what the Horde lacks on the cosmic level and how things could be fixed.

- Order/Arcane : Titan content is Alliance content. The majority of the Alliance playable races are Titanforged ; the Speaker of Azeroth is Magni Bronzebeard ; Titan aesthetics, devices, culture and philosophy feel completely alien Horde-side. Dragon stuff is equally hard to care about from a Horde perspective and definitely speaks more to Alliance players thematically (and Ebyssian’s new position changes very little to that fact, honestly). Arcane magic is an important aspect of the Sin’dorei and Shal’dorei’s respective cultures, but this is never matched by any sort of true connection to Order as a cosmic force (no relationship with Order beings, no Order-oriented mindset and spirituality).

Solution : Order can (and should) remain almost exclusively an Alliance thing. The thing then is… it needs to be less central. Titans CANNOT be so overwhelmingly important in the setting, they CANNOT be the ones to thank for everything on Azeroth, when Titan narratives are, for the most part, Alliance narratives.

- Light/Holy : Nearly every Alliance race worships the Holy Light to varying extents (including a race that’s literally biologically infused with the Light). The Church of the Holy Light, the Army of the Light, the Knights of the Silver Hand and arguably even the Naaru themselves all range from strongly Alliance-leaning to full-on Alliance members. Horde-side, so far “An’she” is basically just a fancy word and Aponi Brightmane, founder of the Sunwalker, said she was “far from the truth” when it comes to comprehending the Light (lol). As for the Sin’dorei, “Belore” is also just a word, and what little we saw of the post-TBC Blood Knights’ relationship with the Light displays zero substantial difference with the Human tradition. The Zandalari Prelates used their faith in Rezan to channel the Light, but Rezan’s gone now. A handful of Forsaken + Calia still worship the Light, but they’ll always be a small minority (as well as awkward plot device material that should be abandonned but that’s another subject).

Solution : the Light can (and should) remain mostly an Alliance thing. However, An’she must be given some sort of reality. Over time, “Belore” may have evolved from a mere aesthetic motif (aimed at emphasizing the difference between them and the Kaldorei) into a poetic/spiritual concept tied to the Light half of the Sunwell. In other words, make the Tauren worship an actual Sun god (maybe a member of the Pantheon of Light ?), and frame the Blood Knights’ relationship with the Light as rooted in their reverence for the Sunwell, getting rid of most of the Church of the Holy Light flavor. See if the upcoming return of Vol’jin may mean a return of Rezan’s Light as well.

- Life/Nature : Druid content is Kaldorei content, and that’s a problem. Elune is the Kaldorei’s goddess (and she favors them in return) ; the Emerald Dream is conceptually a mix of Titan and Kaldorei content ; the Cenarian Circle specifically embodies the Kaldorei practice of Druidism and obviously feeds on its vibes, motifs and mythology. Damn, because of Shadowlands the entire cycle of Life and Death, a core aspect of Druidism, is in fact Kaldorei-oriented, since Ardenweald (the realm that represents the Death side of that cycle) is basically just Kaldorei Heaven and the Winterqueen is Elune’s sister. Wild Gods are random sentient animals whose fates are in the hands of Ardenweald’s Human Resources Department. This is bad.
Elune, the Emerald Dream and the Cenarion Circle are Kaldorei content. We cannot relate to them. I’ll be brutally honest : playing through the Druid questing experience as a Troll Druid in Legion had me feel awfully out of place.

Solution :
Druids should be the name given to the users of Life magic, nothing more – and that magic may take a great variety of forms (Cenarion Druids, Thornspeakers, Gonk followers, Harvest Witches…). Go back to writing Elune as the Kaldorei’s goddess first and foremost ; firmly establish that a connection to the Emerald Dream isn’t necessary to wield Life magic ; stop centralizing Druidism around the Cenarion Circle and explore the various traditions.
Personally, I picture Troll Druidism as being an aspect of voodoo ; I think voodoo should be framed as the Trolls’ ancestral power of disruption of the cycle of Life and Death (necromancy, regeneration and animated Golems and Tikis are known possible applications of voodoo). Alternatively, of course, Troll druidism can be mostly related to Gonk, but then it needs to be actually fleshed out, because saying “Gonk taught Trolls how to shapeshift” is not enough. The Tauren, on the other hand, have solid lore of having been taught in the Cenarian ways, so I guess they can remain largely aligned with the Cenarian tradition ; HOWEVER they need their own specificities (specific vocabulary, specific Wild Gods, specific rituals…). Why not make them reconnect with their ancient Yaungol Cenarian heritage instead ? That’d be a much more satisfying solution than remaining Kaldorei pupils forever.
Make the Shatterspear a druidic tribe ; either they picked up Druidism at the contact of the nearby Kaldorei and adapted it to their culture and spirituality, or even better, they actually decided to settle Darkshore because they always had a druidic tradition and noticed that these lands were teeming with Life energy.

- Death/Necromantic : The Horde SHOULD have a very strong connection to Death through the Forsaken… and yet this connection has grown deceptively weak. The Forsaken weren’t given any real focus during the freaking Death expansion (arguably even in Maldraxxus). How is that possible ??? Adding to that is the fact that apparently, NECROMANCY isn’t necessarily related to Death, since every single cosmic force can be used to raise the deads. What’s the point and the specificity of Death as a cosmic force then ?.. Undeads aren’t even exclusive to the Horde now, since some undead Kaldorei returned to the Alliance in 9.2.5. As for the Trolls, as it turned out, De Other Side is just a pocket afterlife that exists within the dimensional fabric of Kaldorei Heaven, and Bwonsamdi, the Loa of Death, is a subsidiary of Elune’s robot sister.

Solution : Make the remnants of the Scourge join the Forsaken ; that way the Forsaken may truly become the Death-oriented nation of Azeroth, a haven for undeads of all sorts (which would also give the Forsaken a short/mid-term solution for their population depletion problem lol).
Maybe give the Forsaken some sort of permanent (but still limited) access to the Shadowlands on Azeroth so that they can keep interacting and learning from the Maldraxxi (I mean personally I’d rather leave the entirety of SL behind but hey, here we are).
As for the rest… I actually don’t know how to fix this mess without massive retcons LMAO

- Void/Shadow : The Alliance now has a strong and direct connection to Void through the Ren’dorei and Alleria. The Cult of Forgotten Shadows is irrelevant in the game, with most of its lore coming from the RPG. Troll Shadow hunters could be a wonderful example of culturally-rooted Void wielding but they’re incredibly underused and ill-defined. The remnants of the Shadowmoon clan (AU Shadowmoon, since MU clan is all but dead) use Void magic, but right now the extent of the Shadowmoon presence in the Horde is limited to a handful of unnamed NPCs.

Solution : Restore and develop the Cult of Forgotten Shadows, make Natalie Seline an Undead, maybe even give her a seat on the Desolate Council to represent the Cult. Use the upcoming return of Vol’jin as an opportunity to expand on the nature of Shadow hunters’ ; describe them as individuals who bargain with Void-based Loa (Void-infused Wild Gods ? Powerful Voidwalkers ? What about Xal’atath, or other similar beings ? RPG Loa like Legba ?). Give some screentime to the AU Shadowmoon, and see what can be done with whatever remains of the MU Shadowmoon (Have Relka Bloodfyre spread her teachings and create an order, or even a clan, of Void users ? Try to salvage some of the Shadowmoon Fel Orcs from Outland ?).
Additionally, I think that the Shal’dorei’s keen interest in astral motifs is very interesting and could pave the way for an order of Cosmic Void users. What if the AU Shadowmoon and the Shal’dorei became the Cosmic Void axis of the Horde ?
See if there’s room for Draenor/Outland races (Mag’har, Outland Ogres, Mok’nathal) to have developed Void mastery at the contact of the Arakkoa.

- Disorder/Fel : Similar to Death in that the Horde should have a strong connection to it but it actually doesn’t. Demon Hunters are Illidan’s followers. The only known being that could be somewhat akin to the Fel Pantheon is Sargeras, a Titan. The Burning Legion narrative in Legion revolved around Sargeras, his Eredar generals, Illidan, Argus, Velen and the Draenei, the Army of the Light… nothing for the Horde to be very excited about. The taboo of Fel in the MU Orcish society is a plotline that should’ve LONG been explored, yet it never really was, except for that one time when Garrosh had nearly all the Warlocks of Orgrimmar killed. The Sin’dorei used to have an affinity with Fel as a consequence of delving too deeply into Arcane and through their relation with Outland, but that bit of Blood Elf characterization was largely given up upon – as an example, legit most Sin’dorei NPCs I stumbled upon in DF had blue or green eyes. The concept of Zandalari Demoniacs was scrapped https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Demoniac.

Solution : Revive the MU Burning Blade clan as a Horde-aligned Warlock clan, and use it as a way to tell the story of how MU Orcs must come to terms with Fel. Fel should be part of their legacy by now.
Let the Sin’dorei reconnect with Fel too ; this could be done by properly reintegrating the Sin’dorei Illidari into the Thalassian society, thus reigniting the Blood Elves’ interest in Fel. Also properly resettle Outland !!! Outland could provide Horde Warlocks with an amazing experimental field due to the radiating energies of the Nether.
Implement the concept of Zandalari Demoniacs. See what could be done with the Feltotem/Bloodtotem tribe (at least some Bloodtotem were accepted back in the Highmountain coalition).

- Blood Magic : The Horde has somewhat of a connection to Blood Magic. The Bleeding Hollow (both MU and AU) are well-known users. The Gurubashi have a Blood Magic tradition, so it stands to reason it could also be found to some degree in the Darkspear and Shatterspear societies. A group of San’layn went close to joining the Horde in BfA, and although they eventually betrayed us, it could be established that some of them actually made the cut.
Blood Magic was described as “the old ways” of the Zandalari by Hexlord Raal, suggesting they have an ancient history with it. This may set the ground for a rehabilitation of Blood Magic among the Zandalari, which could be deemed more acceptable and less dangerous now that G’huun is gone ; alternatively, a breakaway group of Blood Trolls could reintegrate the larger Zandalari society, mechanically joining the Horde.
The thing is… Blood Magic is ill-defined to the point where we don’t actually know what it is. It could be based on Death, on Life, on Void… So I say, first define what Blood Magic is, and then, depending on its nature, it could give the Horde a stronger connection to whatever cosmic force it’s tied to.

Those are just random ideas. I’m sure there are many other possibilities I didn’t think of. Wdyt ?

18 Likes

Part of the problem stems from Blizzard’s need to streamline content through a single channel, rather than factional.

In Wrath of the Lich King, rather than the Horde’s story, and the Alliance’s story, we got the story of the Knights of the Ebon Blade, of the Argent Crusade, and of Dalaran. While these organizations had strong thematics and visuals that complimented the Alliance, they weren’t really a part of the Alliance. Alliance players couldn’t feel like this was their story, and Horde players felt like outsiders.

Other issues crop up in the form of lack of development, or dropped plot threads. The Cult of the Forgotten Shadow is an excellent example, but the Void Elves aren’t exactly well defined over on the Alliance either. They only ever got wheeled out to fight the Horde, and were absent for every void related threat or storyline.

If this all boils down to needing racial connections, I’d say the Horde has been overdue for Ethereals as a playable race to give them a powerful gateway into the Void narrative. Blood Elves are already steeped in the Light as is, and that could be emphasized further. Imagine if Astalor Bloodsworn decided to follow up his Blood Knight accomplishment with Lightborne Elves or something, basically a ritual to infuse Blood Knights with Light from the Sunwell and get some stronger light themed customizations.

Belore/An’she should be revealed to be Elune’s equal in a Life pantheon, assuming that such works like the Death or Order pantheons do. Hell, make him look like a Blood Elf and say, “I reshaped them in my own image after my sister abandoned them,” or something. It need not drastically alter or change how Blood Elves operate, but it’d be a neat way to see Sun/Fire Druids for Blood Elves.

4 Likes

I don’t know what more people what from Night Elves and Druidsm. It was their core aspect back in WC3 and ever since wow launched it’s been given away to pretty much everyone to the point where there are more horde races able to become druids.
Also as much as people claim it is, Ardenweald is not Night Elf content. It destroyed Emerald Dream lore and made Elune a robot by proxy.
It’s not Night Elves fault that druidsm traditions and aesthetics are mainly kaldorei’s. They were the first official fully fledge druids and have been for more than 10k years and it’s through them that Tauren and Trolls learned the craft.

8 Likes

I doubt there is a sun deity. Like nothing hints at this.

The names are void elves and army of the light. It is on the nose with those titles that the two main forces of the universe are alliance lore by default.

1 Like

An’she is supposed to be Elune’s twin. At least according to the Tauren. Make some more stuff surrounding him.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t mind belves exploring blood magic and fel. I had an idea for adding the “edgy” elements back into the blood elves by adding fel and the san’layn into the blood elves.

This doesn’t have to take away from the more “orderly” elements of the current blood elves. I think it would be neat to explore blood magic and fel magic in a civilization that considers them legitimate avenues to pursue.

6 Likes

Honestly it makes me feel a little resentful that what little cosmic connection the horde has relies on its elves for any meaningful future content.

I’ve been feeling this a little bit in Dragonflight already, partly through the Dragonflight Expedition and also in how most dragons pick their visages. Take a stroll through Valdrakken and take a look at how many look like something other than a human or an elf. I think I spotted one orc? When the game’s relying on the horde’s outsider aesthetic for representation, it comes off feeling like the core horde is a narrative burden and has to be carried by its palatable-to-alliance segment for relevance.

13 Likes

Most games suffer from this problem. The Pretty Races always take up most of the screen time and it does suck that the core horde races feel like a narrative burden

3 Likes

Senegos was the only one with a troll visage. I suspect he was born when the empires were at their peak.

3 Likes

Not Guild Wars 2. I suspect humans are the least interesting race compared to Charr and Sylvari and were driven back to their last nation of Kryta.

From what I remember, GW2 has a much smaller roster of main characters in general so it’s easier to rotate through them. Having said that, while I haven’t played End of Dragons, I think the only time the Charr took a front seat in the story was during part of Icebrood Saga, which (from what I understand) crowded in on what was supposed to be some of the Norns’ racial story and kinda mucked with the both of them because there was writer employee issues going on at the time.

I think it’s kinda offset by Rytlock Brimstone being one of the most recurring of the main characters up through IBS, though.

1 Like

But now other races have access to the class and so the concept of druidism must evolve accordingly, because Troll Druids cannot just be Kaldorei-flavored Trolls.

Acknowledging the existence of other druidic traditions doesn’t deprive the Kaldorei of their own, on the contrary.

Yes, the night-themed, Celtic-inspired druidic afterlife ruled by Elune’s sister, overlooked by a giant tree and filled with Kaldorei souls, Elune worshippers from other planets, enchanted forests, fairies and Dryad-like people is Night Elf content.

Now is it good Night Elf content ? Certainly not. There’s a reason why everybody hated Shadowlands.

No, Trolls didn’t learn druidism through the Kaldorei. Neither did the Thornspeakers or the Harvest Witches as far as we know.
And Malfurion was the first mortal Cenarian druid. It’s very likely that Drust druidism predates Kaldorei druidism, since druidism is referred to as “the old ways of the Drust” and Vrykuls are much older than Kaldorei.

6 Likes

Trolls at least Darkspear trolls learned from Loas but they in fact acknowledge that they only know basic stuff and that’s why they joined the Cenarion Circle so they can fully master the craft.
We even have my favorite Troll Zen’kiki that represents how Trolls are the newcomers seeking to learn from Night Elves.

When Void Elves were introduced, I commentated that it was being set up that the central race, on both sides of a light/dark conflict, were Alliance. Of course I was being silly. “All lore is is Alliance lore”. Now that I have realized Blizzard has no interest in the Horde, except as being the foes the Alliance fight. I has allowed my put everything in perspective and just switch to Alliance…

8 Likes

I don’t disagree, but not all arcane content is Titan content, or it shouldn’t be.

I don’t like this solution. Blood Elves were supposed to be an arcane powerhouse! It’s one of the things that attracted me about them. We have characters, designs, locations, and loads of arcane-related lore that just haven’t seen the light of day since BC. Why does that have to be thrown away in favor of blood and fel, and we just surrender it to the Alliance?

5 Likes

But I don’t want the Blood Elves to give up on Arcane though, quite the contrary. I just want the writers to go back to their old characterization as sorcerers where they wielded Arcane in a way that made it a slippery slope to Fel. The corruptive and addictive aspects of Arcane suited them very well, and I liked that they embodied the bridge between Arcane and Fel, illustrating the fact that both forces were but the two ends of a single continuum. This is also why their relation with Outland is so interesting to me.

What I mean is, even though they are Arcane users, OG Sin’dorei strike me as closer to Disorder than to Order overall in terms of mindset and inclination. And I want them to go back to that because it gave them an edge that they largely lost. I feel like modern-day Blood Elves are just slightly arrogant High Elves, and I dislike that

4 Likes

I can agree with the overall premise. It seems to be part of the whole “Alliance bias” issue in general- making them win everything, telling the story through them as well as for them, making their Gods manifest and powerful while making the faiths of those in the Horde either false, mere misunderstandings, or a pocket realm in a whole zone dedicated to the Night Elves.

It’s like on the fifth day, Blizzard created the cosmology. On the sixth day, Blizzard created the Alliance. Then Blizzard was going to make room for the Horde on the 7th day, but they slept through it.

I mean, the Forsaken were all but ignored until the very tail end of the Death expansion. They weren’t even involved in it - they sort of were hanging around until the end, and reaped the benefits of Maldraxxus through Calia, one of the newest members, who looks nothing like the playable Forsaken.

One would think the Forsaken would have a role to play in a death expansion, if they ever were to have a role at all. But they were literally an after thought, at the end of the expac.

As far as the Arcane being Alliance only… nah. I think the Nightborne offer a classical Arcane aesthetic. No reason to trample over that.

4 Likes

Fel was a blood elf thing. That was Kael and his Sunfury trying to do. It is a shame nothing came of it and we are average high elves now.

3 Likes

Belves don’t have to lose out on the arcane. My ideal situation would be 4 houses/guilds that focus on arcane, light, blood and fel.

The magisters and the blood knights can work with the sunwell while the san’layn and the fel blood and warlocks work with the dark animus.

5 Likes