The Horde: A Different Type of Heroism

When the Horde arrived in Kalimdor in Warcraft 3 the Tauren were locked in a losing battle with the Centaur over central and western Kalimdor. The reason the Tauren joined the Horde was in exchange for Horde military assistance in defeating their Centaur rivals. The Centaur had been living in Kalimdor for over a thousand years at that point.

1 Like

Prove it. Chronicles?

The Tauren even have their own long-standing myths about the Centaur, where the Centaur are painted as, ironically, a group of irredeemable savages and warmongers who have no right to exist.

1 Like

Whose capitol was sacked at the behest of a bunch of opportunistic treasure hunters and a “What about Bob?” reference if I remember right.

Good lord this company can be disgusting sometimes.

1 Like

Given the Horde’s political affiliation with Quel’thalas I don’t think that they really have any legs to stand on when it comes to championing the Amani cause.

1 Like

? They are both racist tropes. Noble Savage is Bad. Tolkien’s Orcs were racist, which he later realized.

One being more racist than the other does not make the other okay.

Like what? Are you okay?

Nope.

Yup.

Likewise Zul in Mists of Pandaria and Cataclysm, “what if we do Pan Africanism, but make it evil”

3 Likes

Um … So the tauren have their land somewhere.

I can’t believe I’ve had to deal with one person arguing Noble Savage can be good and now someone arguing Noble Savage isn’t racist.

Y’all done lost your minds.

4 Likes

Switch a few nouns around in that Tauren legend and you have an account of the opening of the Dark Portal as told by the humans.

1 Like

You realize the source of the Centaur isn’t exactly hidden lore or anything. It’s not a secret.

We’ve met the mother of all Centaur. We’ve killed her.

Wow, a tribe hates a group of people who randomly showed up one day and just started killing them? Wow. how horrifying.

2 Likes

Is “racist white” racism?

Hmmmmmmmmm

2 Likes

What about the land of the tauren? Did they find her?

Nah Horde is colonialist for sure

But so is the Alliance.

But Blizzard refuses to write that into the game

So as it stands the Mostly NonWestern Based Faction is also the Evil Bad No Good Very Not Nice War Criminal Faction.

Which is Bad for meta reasons that I am sure are blatantly obvious to you.

3 Likes

Since when was Lordaeron the only source of DWARVEN archeological artifacts in EK? Better yet, isn´t it like pretty far and away from THE apparent juicy archeological site that is still standing in the Badlands a.k.a. Uldaman?

Unless ofc you believe them WoW dwarves getting their chance at making a pop culture reference of Moria IS more relevant for the race, ofc. (The only “valuable” archeological site in Lordaeron is the tomb that used to hold Tyr´s Hand AND a VERY powerful Old God minion; nothing else).

Except it does. You forget stuff when you don´t get confronted with it 24/7 (and both BfA and SL are nothing but an Ode to the Teldrassil issue AND the relevance Sylvanas had on the crime, period).

this is why we haven´t been able to forget, cause the devs in an almost sadistic way keep bringing the event to the narrative over and over again… and not to resolve it somewhat successfully, but to literally ANNOY players from both sides of the playerbase with any “new” development (I mean I´m serious when I tell you that it DOES suck the way the devs pretend to resolve Tyrande´s story arc in SL; it was kinda obvious them devs were gonna follow that kind of BS narrative validating the Human cinnamon roll character considering the story beats since late WotLK, but this doesn´t mean the narrative WILL sucks less; it just means they are trappen into a non creative vicious circle since those times.

Oh yes, this sounds like healthier business practices. But we both know the business model reached THIS levels AFTER decades of companies trying to hide their malpractices from their customers, their investors and their competition. And they will ALWAYS try to “fix” the stuff in the less obvious way possible, cause any open public aknowledgment of a malpractice WILL damage the image of the company towards the rest of the world.

In the particular scenario involving Teldrassil, retconning it´s existence IS a VERY public aknowledgment from Blizz part that they delivered a faulty product and charged their costumers for it as if it was top-notch quality. It´s a no-no, ergo It probably won´t happen ever.

Even as the gross Belf fangirl I am, i will never deny the Amani have ALL the moral Highground regarding their hurt and anger at getting displaced and robbed from their lands. The aggresors here are NOT the Amani, the aggresors are both the Elves aND the Humans.

If the devs wanted to portray the Amani as “evil” thanks to their association as allies of the WC2 Horde, then they shouldn´t have portrayed them as natives that only wanted to keep their lands free from violent invaders.

You see, the chances for any WoW race to get semi-decent (if not borderline coddling) portrayal diminish as far as their cultural depiction is far way from the suspicious “Medieval European inspired” trope mold.

YUCK in capital letters indeed.

I am honestly wondering how stories can be written when entire tropes are written out for being racist against a fictional race. Even if they were humans in the story.

So are we supposed to remove the “barbarians at the gates” story tropes from our media now? I struggle to think how Warcraft lore would even look like if you started writing it. Everybody in a homogenized society, behavior and cultural norms?

1 Like

I checked in with the mirror universe to see how people received this version of WoW and people are complaining that it’s racist and colonial because there isn’t enough diversity.

1 Like

I mean if I take what Baal says seriously then I guess the Aiel from wheel of time are racist. It just blows my mind, I can’t help but refuse his premise.

? It’s actually quite easy to write an Orc or Tauren or Troll without resorting to Noble Savage weirdo:

• Talanji
  • Cairne
  • Voljin throughout his entire character lifetime
  • Rastakhan
  • Aponi Brightmane
  • Saurfang
  • Durotan AU
  • Draka MU

What? Its remarkably easy to write characters without relying on sexism and racism

Imagine if Jaina had been written without Emotionally Unstable Woman trope for 8 years.

5 Likes

Hmm … Is racism towards robots possible in a conflict with robots?