The Goldenisms of Warcraft: Sylvanas

“Bizarre Word Usage”
Laughs in Lovecraft Fan
Hmm, imagine Lovecraft writing Sylvanas encountering a group of Murlocs, what words he would use, they’re basically tiny Deep Ones.

Take that situation but replace Lovecraft with Knaak

He’d refer to Sylvanas as “the blonde ranger” every other sentence.

5 Likes

“The babe’s orbs were startling pools of translucent sapphire. Her digits stroked 'pon lustrous silken blonde thread.”

6 Likes

Probably. Im just saying the bard stuff is popping up everywhere. Its not just ETC anymore.

1 Like

Lirath is a metaphorical representation of bright positive aspects of life, such as youth, innocence, art and music. When he dies, Sylvanas dies afterwards and her innocence is taken upon becoming undead, with her then being forced to kill artists and musicians. With her undeath, everything about life is taken away. Life ended with Lirath. Sylvanas desperately tries to cope with life being gone, and with her being unable to connect with her brother again she can’t connect to positive feelings either.

5 Likes

Pretty sure he’s been around for a long, long time. Originally just as a throw-away name for Alleria’s background in WC2.

Oh god. I cant even with that. What were you thinking Christie?

It’s a theme of the book as a whole. Loss, grief, trauma, etc. It’s emotionally heavy and I do think for the most part it’s handled well. It’s surprisingly introspective and is probably Golden’s most insightful book so far. I’m going to be thinking about this book for awhile, it’s not shallow like Golden’s other books.

2 Likes

It could be worse. Imagine if Sylvanas’ sense of responsibility ended up getting all warped because she had to put down a horse she accidently injured…

4 Likes

It could not be worse than describing a child’s eyes as “The babe’s orbs”. That sounds like a brothel in Kul Tiras.

Or the explicit lyrics version of Daughter of the Sea

4 Likes

Pretty sure that was a parody of how Knaak would have written it.

Maybe Golden was just the first one who actually gave him a personality and had him appear in something, then.

3 Likes

OH! God, I hope so.

This novel is certainly the first time he’s been more than a name. Not counting the Three Sister’s Comic where he was a ghost… hallucination… memory… thing. That said and did nothing and appeared for like, one or two frames.

4 Likes

Yeah I was making fun of Knaak lol. The book probably would’ve been written like that if he were the author.

1 Like

As cringe and knit picky as this thread is its very funny to watch the story forum turn on golden.

I don’t think anyone is turning on Golden aside from people like Baal who already had an established twitter vendetta with her

This you?

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/bravo-blizzard-remember-cynics-will-always-be-cynics/1132341/40

1 Like

He is first referenced in Kanaak’s The Well of Eternity as one of two brothers; this was retconned into only one brother in Golden’s War Crimes and kept that way ever after.

We’re all stuck here forever :pensive::pensive::pensive: