The Gold Sellers Are Getting Bold

So i was checking mail on my alts when what should i find in my mail box? A letter from a gold seller advertising gold and power leveling services. This after trying to farm frostmaul e’kos on my main only to get out competed by a multiboxing bot! Blizzard if your not going to do anything about this crap then at least attach a warning to classic that it is a pay to win game now!

2 Likes

and really, why wouldnt they? there are clearly no consequences.

3 Likes

You know back in the day and on the private servers perma bans were a very effective salutation.

4 Likes

I get so many of these dumb spam letters. I report them all, but they still come.

I get these every day and just flag them (I don’t read them). There’s not a lot we can do unfortunately.

1 Like

It’s sad when private servers have a better ban system for gold farmers than blizzard itself.

7 Likes

I’d suggest banning the gold buyers, but they’ve let the problem get out of hand. At this point, there’s probably a large percentage of players buying gold. They don’t want to lose all the player revenue AND all the bot revenue.

2 Likes

There’s a huge percentage of the population buying gold at this point. The amount of consumables people go through on a weekly basis is absurd, there’s no way even half the people are actually farming the gold for them on off days, especially since most of them are raid logging with world buffs. Also, look at most warriors these days, all with edgemasters, lionheart and titanic legs (8-10k) in 3 items.

2 Likes

I received one of these also, and reported it. One so far, since Classic started.

How many servers were there on private servers, and how many players?

And really, how effective?

if you flag/report/ignore the message but never delete them, that message will just return to the mailbox, you have to delete them

I get about 3 everytime I logon to classic (about every 2 months). Reported every single one but have only gotten 1 letter from Blizzard thanking me for reporting.

The thing that gets to me is that I report them as spam / block them, then their advertisements STILL show up in my mailbox next time I log in.

As “read” mail.

SMH.

1 Like

I don’t bother reporting them anymore. Not because I don’t want them banned, of course, but because reporting it just hides the mail instead of deleting it and I have to check again the next day to delete it afterwards.

1 Like

Is there a workaround for that?

Can I somehow report and block and delete them at the same time?

Maybe a mod I don’t know about?

Wish they would at least offer me a free sample of their “services” in my mailbox.

Pretty effective. But yeah, only had a population of like 10-15k on the server and a staff of 5-6 GMs.

So if blizzard did the same thing…

It was mostly because the fear of a ban would stop people now there’s no fear so it’s out of hand.

Been in pug MC/BWL people openly talking about gold buying in disc for GDKP. So I stopped going to those as the prices keep going up.

Yeah, it might be that easy. Just 5-6 GMs per server.

Of course, Private servers still did have bots, and they also offered paid services for level boosts, and gear.

Now, I’m not trying to pretend that botting is not a problem, but I’m very curious what precisely people are doing where they find bots, and how that is affecting them.

I’ve been playing Classic since launch, and have genuinely only had 1 interaction with a player that I suspected was a bot. It was a hunter in the shimmering flats, I believe while I was leveling this character.

Well, for example:

They lock down herb spawns for black lotus and then control the market.

So, if the market dictates they’re at 175g then that is what you pay. That is 4+ hours of farming for many people since the price shouldn’t be that high organically.

So, they buy gold which came from - you guessed it - those lotus.

Next issue is the boosting - for the record - I have no issue with boosting since it doesn’t bother me. But you have the bots running scripts to do it - which again, floods the market with cheap and accessible gold to buy.

If you look at prices from Pservers like LH that did not have any paid services - you didn’t see edgies going for 5-6k gold. It was still a very heavy min/max culture of course.

People aren’t even necessarily complaining about the individual regular joe using glider.

They’re complaining about the mass botting in instances that are controlling the markets and are doing things like insta-sniping mistakes off the AH.

Many of these same companies are the ones that LH had to fight and deal with. They got their botting anti-cheat to work almost flawlessly. They issued mass ban waves super fast, several thousand a day in fact.

With Blizzard you see the same bots over and over and over for MONTHS.