"The gap to Mythic 0 is too high"

Greetings Champions,

After deciding to burn my level 70 boost that came with TWW on a mage for something different, I thought I’d share my experiences in going from a 424 item level to get into pug M0’s after about 6 hours of play and roughly 5k gold; as I’ve seen a lot of posts here about it being too difficult to gear up to M0 from scratch.

I started with 3 gear breakpoints in mind. 441 to start heroics, 463 to start LFR, and 480+ to start applying for M0.

First, you want to hit the weekly Valdrakken quest for outdoor events and the awakened world boss. Last week it quests for the Dreamsurge and Emerald Dream and world boss in Emerald Dream. Doing these will get you 3-4 pieces of 480 gear, probably a couple pieces of blue 453-467 gear along the way, and then one champ piece at 493 from turning the weekly in. This got me over 441, but if you started lower than 424, you may need to hit some of the other world events, wq’s, or even normal dungeons. One note here: Do not use any Whelp or Drake crests you have acquired so far to upgrade any gear!

441; Now you’ll want to run 5 or 6 heroic dungeons. you should get a few blue drops from this, and more importantly you’ll be getting 10 whelp crests per dungeon. Again, do not use these to upgrade. When starting off gearing and assuming you aren’t completely flat broke, the most efficient way to spend your whelp crests is crafted gear. 30 crests + about 600g of mats and tips will get you a piece of 486 gear, whatever slot and stats you want. Do not make a weapon yet though! So, between the 480s from step one, 476 drops and whelp’s crafted gear from heroics, it is fairly fast to hit 463 to start LFR.

463; Time for LFR! Now first of all, gearing from LFR sucks. You probably won’t get any drops, but that’s okay. What you are going to get is a bunch more whelp crests and Antique Bronze Bullions. I would do two or three LFR wings for sure or at least 6 bosses, as unless you have bad RNG this should get you all your bullions as well as another 60 whelp crests to make two more 486 items. Now the reason we haven’t used any Drake crests for upgrading or crafted a 486 weapon yet is that we are going to take two of those bullions from LFR and go buy our BiS weapon from a vendor, and then use those Drake crests to upgrade it to 502 right away.

So as mentioned, at this point I’m about 6 hours in at level 70 and spent around 5k gold on crafting those 486 items. Now I’m at 481 item level and its time to start M0’s. There’s nothing fancy here, you just start applying. I was playing a frost mage, which is currently considered a decent spec and it does bring hero, so perhaps I had an advantage but honestly 3 out of the 4 groups I joined already had hero. The main thing here is simply don’t get discouraged if you see a few declines, and BE FAST. Don’t apply to one group and then sit there waiting to see if you get accepted. In the new filter, select the mythic dungeons only, select ‘already has tank’ and just start applying to anything and everything. It took probably 20-30 tries each time, but if you are just applying to everything as fast as you can that only takes a few minutes.

Overall, I found the entire process to be fast and fun and I quite enjoy the current dungeon difficulty/reward model on the lower end. Being able to start at 424 on Sunday after noon to finishing the weekly mythic dungeon quest by Monday evening seems perfectly fine to me. And I’m sure a few people will come along and tell me the things I did weren’t even that efficient anyway haha.

32 Likes

great post very informative sadly it wont change anything

people love excuses

26 Likes

Not to discredited your entire argument, but you are basing your experience around 3 weeks of bullion and crest cap raises instead of the experience week 1.

I think everyone acknowledges that given enough time, they will be geared enough for M0

3 Likes

My post was mainly in regard to all the threads I have seen this week about it, and the crest and bullion cap that I have made use of so far was available on week 2.

4 Likes

People that complain likely want to stand in everything and live.

11 Likes

My criticisms have been of the system as a whole. And I am not really swayed by the whole “if you wait 2 or 3 weeks it’s easy.”

Also, most of the things you relied on won’t work as well in TWW S1 because bullion won’t exist and the crest cap will be reduced again.

1 Like

Well, my post wasn’t created for you specifically, and it wasn’t about week 1 or what might happen in TWW, it was about what people can do right now in the current game to jump into M0s.

10 Likes

Oh pity, how people will need skill instead.

Week 1 heroic dungeons aren’t a cakewalk either.

But you said it was in regards to the complaints you’ve seen this week.

Just because it is currently possible to use S4 awakened system to significantly shorten the process, doesn’t mean that it discredits peoples concerns or that they shouldn’t enthusiastically voice them.

This is a system that we are going to have to live with going forward. It is much easier to try to get Blizzard to change their course of action early instead of waiting until later when it is fully implemented into a regular season.

It doesn’t need changing. A mode where you have to do mechanics vs one where you can stand in everything.

1 Like

Yes. Complaints in week 3 that people are having a hard time right now in week 3 getting into M0. That is what my post is about. Encouragement and suggestions for getting into M0 right now in week 3 (week 4 in a few hours). Its not feedback about week 1, and its not opposing any feedback aimed season 1 of TWW. Its about playing the game right now.

9 Likes

For many, the bar will always be too high and they will complain. There’s a ton of people on this game who legit just want all of the mogs unlockable via cash shop so they can RP somewhere and not play the actual game, but rather their own version of it. There’s people who think because they have an idea of what they want WoW to be in terms of an easy collectible phone game style AFK loot fest, that’s how the game must be going forward. They want to remove anything that the game was built on such as dungeons and raids.

Then there’s the people who are just bad and feel entitled to everything because they “pay a sub” acting like all games are either beatable or not, and it’s up to the user to master it or not. Anyway, there’s always miserable people who will cry and complain, but M0s aren’t hard, M+ isn’t hard, too many quitters not enuf button hitters.

3 Likes

This priest is also boosted at the start of the season. I always wanted to try out shadow and it turned out to be very fun. And you’re right it was fun gearing up thats my favorite part of the game

I ran heroics & transitioned to M+0 just fine in that heroic gear, no dedicated group, pugs. I was running mythics before I knew what dragonriding was. I only got the glyphs / quested for NO dungeon when I was wondering wtf. Add me & I’ll run with you. I’d prefer to run with friends instead of always pugging:)
I’m new to the M+ scene & only really started during shadowlands season 1 & 2.

1 Like

10/10 post. :grin:

Alternatively just be good and do m2-4s at like 460 with last seasons gear and have no issues

That’s a great option too!

Unfortunately, the character I created in season 4 didn’t have any gear from season 3. Also, I’m not good :man_shrugging:

My alts are doing m0’s at 450 ilvl… and I tank my other buddy is a Hply pally at 448 and the rest of the dps was about 460ish… and we absolutely smashed 4 m0’s last night in a little over an hour. They aren’t hard, its skill and having people do there jobs like interrupt and mass stuns… you can also do this thing called CC, I know its archaic but it works and will get you through M0’s. You also have to do boss mechanics… I know face tanking, standing in one place watching your bar is so fun, god forbid there be a little thought into it.

1 Like

I’d have preferred doing that, PC died & had to rebuild knocking me out of the game around end of SL season 2. By the time I got back I made another character on alliance because I like the void elf’s no kickback ability.

Thanks for the info, regardless of other issue. Good luck! :shamrock: :green_heart: