The Future of Warcraft Announcements -- Professions Update

…not unless they’re guaranteed.

I farmed one of the enchants in BC pretty much the entire expansion and never got it. Lol.

4 Likes

We can buy an enchant off the AH. They way enchants work right now is bad. You get all your enchants at the start and then nothing we don’t even get the cool effects from the enchants anymore those are all from rep vendors… It made the profession actually useful and relevant like alchemy. I’m not saying they should have a mounts chance at dropping. But it should go back to the previous way if we wanted to make enchanting more important.

2 Likes

I’m really excited by all this! I love the work orders system. The game desperately needed something like that. I would have been happy to craft legendaries for people outside my guild who had their own mats, but it was just too much of a hassle to try to drum up business, and then deal with people who don’t know the correct mats or who are worried I will scam them by taking the materials and running. The work orders system looks like it will solve all that and make crafting much more enjoyable!

I’m also excited about the crafting tables idea–having crafters present and visible in the world rather than tucked away wherever they tend to park their character will make the crafting world feel more immersive and personable.

I’m also excited by dedicated slots for crafting gear. Fun!

The item quality bit does worry me. It seems likely that if there are different quality levels, the highest quality item will immediately become the standard and anything below that will be considered vendor junk. Then we’ll have a situation like we did in Shadowlands with the legendaries, where in order to create the item with value, you have to waste a ton of expensive materials crafting items that sell for little or nothing.

3 Likes

I am looking forward to this, I honestly rarely bother with professions (other than engineering) as I really do find it hard getting some of the mats or recipes etc. The work order system might save me some money, as occasionally I have the mats for something but don’t know anyone who can craft it
Eager to give this a try hopefully in Beta

Everything I saw I think is fantastic.

A cool system I saw in another game once, a very long time ago on a MUD actually, was the ability to “mend” a piece of existing gear. It was a skill that allowed for a field repair of a piece of gear (not so much an issue in WoW admittedly) but there was an off chance that it could either boost the stats of the gear OR completely destroy it in total failure. What this did ultimately was get everyone to attempt to mend every piece of gear they got and when more than half of it inevitable was destroyed, they had to go back out into the world and get a new one. Each piece could potentially be “mended” three times to improve that stats three times, but the odds of a triple mended piece was very low. To get a whole set of triple mended gear took a ton of dedication and some pretty profound heartbreak lol. In any case it was a super engaging gear modification feature and everyone loved it.

Saw this question on the GD and I’m also curious: Will crafting orders work with legacy gear?

Will Crafting Orders work with Legacy Gear? - Community / General Discussion - World of Warcraft Forums (blizzard.com)

I’d also add on a question of if it applies to more than just gear. Can we get crafted reagents as well? Stuff like current enchanted lightless silk, etc?

3 Likes

I am really for professions, I have every profession on my main server and i make tons of gold with it. So i think it’s good that professions will get more love again as they are a big part of the game.

I love the idea of profession gear but what I really ask myself will this flood my bags or where will I keep this gear? Because i still have different sets in my bag for tanking, dpsing etc… Also one for timewalking in the bank.

I also like the idea of getting better in your profession the more you do it and get better qualities etc. But I don’t know if this is really community friendly if I see how people are complaining right now about the legendary crafting.
Most people i know don’t use their professions yet when they are very easy to be maximized (exept legendaries). So i don’t see the average player doing hours of crafting to get better. But for profession players this will sure be an improvement to give them something they can work towards.

Furthermore I am a little bit concerned about the work orders. I like the main idea that you can go there, craft stuff people actually need and earn some gold. But I also know what some people are willing to give for some items… Let’s just say its not worth the time you spent, if you get like 100 gold for an order. At the start you could get some free skill points with it but i suppose what people want to have will be things you need higher skill for.

And what is with people that find someone who is willing to craft for very low cost and then sell the stuff in the auction house for the price the item would be actually worth? I love some borders in crafting (expulsom, legendary system) to make crafting profitable, because you always notice if everyone can buld something, it is worth less then the materials in the auction house which is kind of silly in my mind. The work orders theoretically gives everyone access to every recipe.

And will this work for everything even older stuff? There are a lot of people that sell old items as transmog or the items for the older legendarys such as thunderfury. I would not like to see the crafting orders destroy all of these markets in any way.

After hearing Ion’s interview with Hazel I am more excited about the system.

Bad luck protection and deterministic gear have been hot topics, but I think the commonly suggested solution of just putting all raid/dungeon items on a vendor is extremely lame.

Having bosses drop BOP crafting materials that can be used to craft appropriate ilvl gear is an elegant solution. For example, Mythic bosses can drop a BOP crafting material that can be used in crafting Mythic item level pieces. Huge win for everyone I think if the drop rate/cost is tuned appropriately.

One of the issues I foresee with work orders, as fantastic as they sound, is the further effect this will have on small servers. In the interview with Hazel, Ion talked about being ‘the person on the server that can make the best ______’.

Some servers won’t have that person for every slot because there simply aren’t enough pieces.

Also curious what the barrier to entry will be for this. Ion mentioned the gold aspect probably not being the main factor (thank you), but wondering what it will take and if you can master all crafting or just one?

3 Likes

I have a question about commissions, specifically the kind where you put up a work order and provide the materials for it yourself.

What exactly is stopping someone from doing this essentially for free, and if it’s cheaper to buy the materials for work orders than it is to actually put out items on there, isn’t that going to consume the market and even drive up the prices of reagents by a lot? If I have a recipe for something, I’d gladly help others out for free if they brought me the materials, if done through this kind of service, and I’m sure there are others that would do that, too.

2 Likes

If fulfilling work orders is really easy (just click a button or whatever), then yeah, people might do it for free. Or the market might settle into a standard 1k gold crafting fee or something like that. It’ll probably be different on every server. I like it. It’s closer to a free market system, with much less friction than is present in the crafting economy now, and will make certain market abuses like cancel scanning and price “resets” less appealing as a way to earn gold.

This is honestly baffling to me. As Xhelann mentioned, this new zone is ripe for exploring and digging, and seems like the best time to revamp Archaeology. The devs saying that they have zero plans for this profession is extremely disappointing and gives the feeling that the profession is essentially dead.

9 Likes

Would love to see engineering return to its insane PvP value for niche things like nets and grenades/utility

4 Likes

One thing that I see that is overlooked in this topic is the leveling process. Currently in Shadowlands, most of the “good” items are crafted at max level, but in order to get there, you’ll have to craft a bunch of worthless items multiple times to get there and that is just a lot of worthless items crafted and potential gold loss, just to get to the max.

I honestly think everything you craft, regardless if it’s level 1 or level 300, should be useful and worthy of a craft.

7 Likes

Which is extremely worrisome. Why would anyone put in work orders and get a lower ilvl piece of gear when the crafters that currently control the economy will do it for a tip?

This is no different than legendary crafting - they’re going to allow the top wealthiest people on the server continue to get wealthier at the expense of the other players.

And the worst part is it won’t even be guaranteed, it’ll be RNG. So you want an upgraded vest that requires hard to get pieces? Well, cough up 20k gold to an experienced crafter and hope it procs. Or get it for cheap from an inexperienced crafter with no chance.

Even worse, is like the legendary system currently, if you want to try to get experienced to help out people? You’ll create subpar, lower ilvl pieces that won’t sell for much when there’s higher ilvls of the same item on the AH at the same time on the way to getting the experience.

The quality system needs to be scrapped, or they need to make it be purely aesthetic - maybe have it give a chance to give gear avoidance, leech, indestructable, etc. or something else that isn’t 100% necessary. That way there’s no downside to getting a lower ranked crafter to answer your board, but if a higher ranked one does, you’ll get a nice, but not necessary, bonus.

Then for things like potions and flasks, have it so they last slightly longer. Not much, just slightly. Again, not necessary, but nice if you get it.

7 Likes

I absolutely agree with this and it’s my main concern with the new “quality” feature for crafted gear.

According to the ‘deep dive’ video that Blizzard posted on Youtube, you will need to craft items multiple times in order to increase your “quality” in that particular recipe and crafts with higher “quality” have increased item level.

This system is going to have the exact same problem that legendary crafting in Shadowlands currently has: There will be absolutely no demand for the lower “quality” items, which means crafting until you get access to items people actually want becomes a massive barrier to entry into the market for new and/or casual players. This will make it even easier for each server’s rich AH goblins to corner and monopolize crafting markets.

And I say that as someone who has made tens of millions of gold via crafting.

6 Likes

Respectfully, I disagree. This can bring back server identity on an individual level. Anyone who wants to tap into the market can do so, but someone can be “the guy who makes swords” and that’s cool. Identity and recognition on your server is cool.

2 Likes

I agree with you. The quality system does sound to me like it will have the same problems and barriers to entry as the legendary crafting system did in Shadowlands. These barriers disincentivize people from participating in the market. I think a healthy market is one in which there are lots of participants and lots of competition. A market in which only one person is the “sword guy” is a market in which that person has a monopoly and can charge whatever outrageous price they want.

2 Likes

The quality piece is a huge concern for Alchemy. Why would you ever want a lesser than max quality Potion/Flask? These items are exclusively used for additional power gain via consumables.

During Shadowlands this profession has suffered from the removal of procs coupled with the remained increased price of crafting (from BfA), to then add an additional barrier of trash on top seems like a very strange decision from an end user perspective.

From a design perspective, yeah its great. There’s progression within professions, but imo this should be handled via procs for Alchemy at the very least.

4 Likes

If we have all this crafting and material for potential lesser crafts we should just be allowed a free gathering profession if we have double crafting

We have the technology!

2 Likes