The Elune paradox

I respect being really into the lore and having a strong affinity for a specific race in WoW. However, I’ve started to worry about some posters who are to the point where they want Tyrande to use her Night Warrior powers to break through reality and bring vengeance upon Blizz Writing team…I don’t mean you of course, but just try not to be so down about the Night Elves recent bad luck. Things will change, they always do, hopefully for the better.

I don’t believe that but you do you. If it happens, it happens.

1 Like

Ähm, wc3 never showed it so vissiually as wow does.

The genocide happened, yes, but its exist no real cinema of this event

When has Elune claimed infinite goodness so as to use this trite atheist fallacy

One of her aspects is literally described as “dark” and “vengeance incarnate” and uses Shadow magic and kills the user usually

She let them elves die

Sure there may be some Big Picture Magical Reason for it down the road but who cares

Sucks to suck

1 Like

https://i.imgur.com/cLOMU5o.jpg
Void lords want her.
Sargeras wants her.
Her blood is a super power that the night elves used to dominate the planet.
Her blood is a super power that has control of systems not even the Big Bosses have in the Shadowlands.

7 Likes

Only meta-info.

One of Azeroth’s few full deities, Elune is the goddess of the moon.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/The_Warcraft_Encyclopedia/Elune

Would that be a bad thing, given the track record of BfA?

gl hf

As far as Elune goes, its a common fantasy trope that the gods are either indifferent or only intervene when specifically asked too.And since we know there are multiple First Ones, her not intervening constantly lines up when there are a cosmos full of people asking for her help at any given moment

Or Elune is a true Goddess, and that doesn’t exempt her from being as powerful or incompetent as the story the Devs want to tell dictates her to be.

The War of Thorns is going to remain a glaring example of bad writing for a long time to come, I’m afraid. It depicted the Night Elves fighting alone (with Worgen in their tree, and Draenei right next door, and the Vindicaar flying around, etc…). When the tree was being evacuated it was mages and portals doing all the work. No mention of those brand new Void Elf allies using void rifts, no mention of Lightforged Draenei slamming down some teleporters to evacuate people to the Vindicaar, no mention of Draenei mages evacuating civilians to the Exodar, etc…

Blizzard wanted to tell a story where the Night Elves suffered a genocide as a result of the loss of their home. They needed to ignore everything that could possibly change that. It was dumb, because there will forever be the questions of why no one else was helping them.

9 Likes

This is in no way a Paradox, even slightly.

Elune can be the one “true” god in all of Warcraft, but that neither needs to translate into her being overwhelmingly powerful in a traditional sense … nor does it mean that even if she were she needs to act in such direct ways. It also doesn’t need to mean she’s infallible either. The expectation that a “True God” be Omnipresent, Omniscient, and All Powerful is a trait that stems largely from monotheistic styles like the Abrahamic faiths … its not universal.

8 Likes

I don’t think there is an omnipotent creature in the Warcraft universe.

In shadowlands we hear about the “first ones” she might be one of those creatures. Basically the upper pantheon.

1 Like

They can COMMUNICATE across the stars. That’s it. That’s the extent of their limited “intervention.” That’s why they needed Mortals to open the way for them.

Blizzard has addressed this back in Vanilla.

Gods are neither omniscient nor omnipotent.

Elune being a True Goddess doesn’t mean she has enough power to do anything.

1 Like

A god is not All knowing and all powerful in most Fantasy definitions of the term.

Lowercase g. Think Greek, not Catholic.

5 Likes

The Void Lords want everyone, any Titan, anything to be corrupted. By that logic, the Void corrupted Titan that Sargeras destroyed initially was just as important as Azeroth is.

Sargeras was a Titan and thus succumbs to the same arrogance and sense of importance as the rest of the Pantheon. Of course a powerful future Titan is the most important thing in the universe to him.

And Azerite is powerful, but we don’t have a frame of reference for what the blood of other Titans is capable of… except for Argunite, which is used as fuel and is apparently fairly potent, even though Argus was in really bad shape and basically dying. So we can assume it’s a pretty common trait of Titan worlds and thus doesn’t make Azeroth special.

For the record, I do believe that Azeroth is certainly going to be the saviour of all creation when she wakes up, but from an in-universe perspective, when we’re talking about things like cosmic beings and the afterlife of every single soul who ever lived in all the known universe… she’s more like the universal equivalent of mortals from Azeroth. That is, the underdog that has a lot of potential but seems fairly run of the mill otherwise, who through sheer determination and ‘how the hell did you even think to do that what is wrong with you wait WHY IS IT ACTUALLY WORKING?!’ attitude, defeat things much more powerful than they are.

4 Likes

The void lords specifically want her because she’s the last titan beb of which we are aware, and only titan bebs can facilitate the void lords’ entry into our realm of existence.

I just don’t think anyone can make that claim with the first one’s devices responding strictly and only to her. Seems like they had the gift of prophecy and made their stuff attuned to her or something.

1 Like

Elune we know now is operating on multiple planets, meaning her attention and power is certainly spread out. No one has ever said Elune was omnipotent, nor omnipresent. Elune’s Deity status could be more akin to say, a greek goddess.

Ignoring that, and going with the idea she is one of the “First Ones” who set up the Warcraft multiverse, she could very well be confined by non-intervention rules set up by her own peers. Think of the Ancients in Stargate as an example of how that might work out. She does meddle in events involving no more than a handful of people, but she has never changed the fate of thousands all at once. Remember, she did not save anyone in the Sundering, either. She seems to be able to make fate pivot but not altogether change how the machinery of the cosmos ticks.

7 Likes

Considering how we don’t know what “True God” entails in the Warcraft Universe, I don’t see the paradox.

3 Likes

Elune can easily be defined as a “true” god as it is a statement without absolutely any meaning whatsoever.

This applies to Elune, and any god who claims to be the creator.

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then (s)he is not omnipotent.
Is (s)he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is (s)he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is (s)he neither able nor willing? Then why call him/her God?”

― Epicurus

2 Likes

There are a few arguments you can make. If she is as many suspect a First One then she would have peers. Elune seems likely to of only had a significant part to play in the Arcane, Nature, and Light parts of the cosmos. That makes the Dynamics a lot more complex than if she alone was a supreme power that created all. What’s to say the First Ones didn’t agree to a strict non-intervention policy at the start of creation, which Elune is working around in the small ways she can?

Elune has never acted to directly save more than one person at a time, and usually only if they are incredibly important to swaying the course of history and there is no other recourse. The only other examples all earned it through self sacrifice. Usually she gives you the tools to save yourself, but it is up to you to actually accomplish things.

There is also the fact it seems like Elune at least had a hand in a number of systems meant to help provide some degree of order and stability to the cosmos which could, again, be a way of acting indirectly. The Naaru have the most lore support, but I think you can argue she had a hand in the Titans as well. If she taught the Early Kaldorei Titanic words, perhaps that is because she is the one that taught them to the Titans to begin with.